• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 2007 edition.

loudbill

My god, what a good year. I have yet to even play most of these games. My pick will be rockband, because i put a shit ton of hours into it

Justinh

Damn, another tough one.

A lot of games I loved, but Mass Effect just has to be winner.

It is the best Mass Effect game, after all.

Persona 3. It served as my entryway into both Persona and Shin Megami Tensei which are now some of my favorite series. Beyond that, I adored how the gameplay was handled-- I loved the combat and fusion system in particular. Past the gameplay I grew very attached to the cast, art, and soundtrack. Very influential game for me and, even if it's not my favorite of the series, it's still an amazing experience and I really, really enjoyed my time with it. Great revival of the series and it brought some much needed attention to it here in the West.

After that, I'd probably go with Team Fortress 2. I spent countless hours playing it online and made some very close friends through it.

takoyaki

Portal or Assassins Creed.

Both games were incredibly fresh experiences that wouldn't have been possible on last-gen hardware.

Shout-out to Zack & Wiki, great little hidden gem.

Persona 3 basically saved my love of video games at a time where I felt like my interest in them was on a hard decline. Still my 2nd favorite game of all time and easily made the Persona series my favorite game series in no time and introduced me to the whole collection of games under the SMT umbrella which are mostly pretty phenomenal.

Also honorable mention for Ace Attorney 3 because that still remains the series best title.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Rock Band
Modern Warfare
Halo 3

Probably all up there in my most played games of all time. 2007 was a good year.

10 years ago. Where does the time go? ;-;

Easy

World of Warcraft - The Burning Crusade (flying mounts!!)

And

COD4 - Modern Warfare

Those were the only two games I played for a year and a half.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
1. Mass Effect

2. Odin Sphere

3. STALKER

4. Crysis

5. Supreme Commander

6. The Witcher

PC gaming was winning that year

Nazz

Neo Member
Damn, another tough one.

A lot of games I loved, but Mass Effect just has to be winner.

It is the best Mass Effect game, after all.

Pretty much this.

Mass Effect for me too.

Honorable mentions: Portal, BioShock, The Witcher

Great year!

Super Mario Galaxy.

Then Mass Effect.

2007 was such a great year though, easily one of the best in history. So many amazing games.

Sora_N

Phoenix Wright 3 is my favourite from the list.

From that year I only actually played Pokemon Diamond and Mario Galaxy though. I would vote for Pokemon since it was the first game since the GBC days for me. I didn't have a GBA.

1. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
2. Super Stardust HD
3. Bioshock

Well, since the first is a bundle of three games this is the real list:

1. Rondo of Blood Remake
2. Super Stardust HD
3. Rondo of Blood
4. Symphony of the Night PSP-Version
5. Bioshock

Forkball

Super Mario Galaxy I DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE LIST

Team Fortress 2 is also up there. I would say Diamond and Pearl, but Pokemon games are weird since until XY they always came out in a different year from the Japanese release. So when looking back on the game, I'm a bit conflicted on whether to use the US or Japanese release date in terms of ranking. Xenoblade could be GotY for three different years.

friday

That list is something else, I never realized how many great games came out that year.

The games that had the biggest impact on my are probably STALKER and Burning Crusade. I think Burning Crusade is the most essential expansion to that game. It feels like it had more content than the original game.

Halo 3 easily.
It was a spectacular year and I remember many of it's titles fondly but aside from just the ludicrous number of hours I put in the final game(2 solid years where it was basically the only title I'd keep coming back to for MP), the game was important in my social life as well.

It sparked a lot of new friendships for myself with friends that I'm still friends with(many who don't even play games anymore). Also like 80% of my friends list on XBL is basically people who played Halo 3 with me at one point.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ok, this is alot harder than 1997. Damn...

Ass Creed
Mario Galaxy
Crackdown
God of War 2
Splinter Cell DA,
Uncharted...

I cant pick...I cant...

PORTAL!?!?

I cant. Sorry.

timberger

How could it be anything other than Mario Galaxy? Seriously now.

Stardust HD and Disgaea AoD though. Disgaea AoD is one of the best handheld experiences I've ever had in all honesty.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Super Mario Galaxy, very easy. One of the best games ever made, beaten only by its own successor.

Voras

Mass Effect. There were a lot of great games in 2007 but Mass Effect is the only one that I've played through five full times, and two of those runs I did pretty much every single thing in the game.

Man that was a weird year for me as a gamer. I didn't want to spend the money on a PS3, and I didn't get a 360 at that time. I still had my PS2, and bought a Wii. I guess it was God of War 2, which i really loved, but wow.
If I had a 360 at that time I'm sure Mass Effect would have been the game of the year for me.

Theosmeo

If the localization of Ace Attorney 3 counts, but it originally came out I'm gunna put my vote on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Excellent scope and strategy with a great story on the back of greater characters. The last Fire Emblem game with good characters and the only one to portray homosexuality respectfully(only in the localized version, they cut a mean stereotype). And when people say the first LBGT lead of a AAA game is going to be Ellie they're 10 years late.
fe_radiant_dawn_by_riyancyy777.jpg

Sendero

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion !!!
Just kidding, what an awful sequel.

Since someone already necro'ed, 2007 wasn't that great.

*The Witcher (Still recall the trailer/intro. Who knew how big it would become!)
*S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (Had been waiting it for years, after seeing -that- trailer)
*Crysis (with a mod to disable the HUD. The way it should be played)
*Mass Effect (great moments, tons of potential, but also lots of issues)
*Portal

Wasn't fan of Jade Empire.
Bioshock not only had several boring moments, the lack of relevance on the harvesting-or-not killed the interest for me - and then that ending..
Half-Life 2: Episode Two was better than Episode 1, but still didn't personally like it that much (some nice set pieces. Found the "death" scene pretty hilarious, for some reason).

carda114

At the time, I'd have to say that Super Mario Galaxy was probably my favorite game to release that year. Some of these I didn't get to play until later on for some reason or another -- possibly because I didn't have much income for myself or didn't spend money wisely, but I think part of it may have been that games weren't quite so large in my life at the time (film is and remains my biggest passion).

Looking back from now... probably still Super Mario Galaxy. But I have a huge fondness for Rock Band, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal, Super Paper Mario, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Some of these I ought to revisit (MP3 especially), and others I've yet to touch at all. What a fucking year, though.

World in conflict. The last PC exclusive that pushed graphics and it was a great mp game

Edit - Oops it came out just before crysis and not after like i originally thought

Bishop89

Bioshock
Cod 4
God of war 2
Pokemon Diamond
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted

My top games of 07,

I cannot choose between Cod 4, GOW2 & Pkm D

Dark_castle

It's not a popular answer, but mine is...

If the localization of Ace Attorney 3 counts, but it originally came out I'm gunna put my vote on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Excellent scope and strategy with a great story on the back of greater characters. The last Fire Emblem game with good characters and the only one to portray homosexuality respectfully(only in the localized version, they cut a mean stereotype). And when people say the first LBGT lead of a AAA game is going to be Ellie they're 10 years late.
fe_radiant_dawn_by_riyancyy777.jpg

God I love me some Radiant Dawn. It's the only game in existence that I know of that places you in a scenario where you fight the protagonist of the game in a serious confrontation of life and death, and then switches back to you controlling the protagonist to fight the team of characters you previously controlled, and so on, so forth. That feeling is indescribable.

Kneefoil

Man, what a good year. It's a toss up between four games, but I'm going to give it to Persona 3. Only because Mario Galaxy has such a slow beginning.

Top Bottom