• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of making your bed every morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadedm17

Feels good getting into a freshly made bed rather than a pile of messy blankets.

One and done.

My favorite thing is coming home to a clean fresh room after a long day at work, it centers me.

If it helps OP I can never be one of those people who doesn't have a TV in their bedroom, another big tip for a peaceful life.

Gaz_RB

It's the one thing in your life you have control over.

No matter what's going on in life, you can always make your bed.

THE:MILKMAN

Yep. I mean it is 10 seconds to straighten a duvet.

Now I spent 2.5 weeks in hospital last month and did get some funny looks and confused comments making my bed every morning....

Just felt wrong to leave it messed up!

Unless we have guests coming over the bed is never made. My wife doesn't even like the feeling of a fresh made bed. She HATES having tightly tucked sheets and rips the fuckers out as soon as she gets in.

Kettch

The correct answer is the appeal.

When you are tired as fuck at night which would you rather jump into?

I personally don't make my bed, but absolutely love staying at hotels knowing my bed looks so appealing to jump into at night.

2. Beds with the sheets all tucked in like that are a pain to get in to, when all I want to do is immediately go to sleep. It's also much more work to get wrapped up in the sheets when it's cold.

pablito

It's a nice portion of your room that'll be neater. If you dgaf about a neater room, sure, don't do it. Being neat makes me feel good, though.

Fbh

I only do it when I'm having people over or taking a longer trip. No point to it otherwise

what's the point of showering? you're just gonna get dirty again anyway.
what's the point of ironing your clothes? you're just gonna get them wrinkled again anyway.
what's the point of eating good food? it's just going to turn into shit anyway.

But there are clear advantages to all of those.

By showering you clean yourself, avoid smelling badly and mantain a clean appearance which can have lots of possitive effects on your daily life.
Same with Ironing your clothes, it gives you a cleaner and more composed look which can be very important in some situations
And good food is a joy to eat.

But unless you are having people over there is no advantage to making your bed

TaterTots

Banned
It makes no difference anyway. I'm not going to walk into one bedroom and see a bed made and think to myself, "wow this guy really has his life together." More likely, It won't even cross my mind the bed is made.

If there are other people around to observe it or even use it, then it is polite and neat.

If you live alone and are not expecting company, there is no purpose.

WaterAstro

If you have guests, make your bed, if not, then whatever.
They do air out better if laid out nicely.

Whole lotta people equating "making bed" with "basic cleanliness" for some reason. Making the bed doesn't make it any cleaner, folks, it's not the same as putting the sheets in the washing machine. And in fact a made bed is a better breeding ground for dust mites, so leaving it unmade is healthier for people with asthma or sensitivity to dust mites.

lol that's bull.

Dust mites are gonna be there regardless. You have to wash your sheets to prevent them from being around.

Wag

What's the point of waking up every morning? You're just going to go to sleep again every night.

Budi

The first one looks so rigid. The second one looks like you can just sink right into comfort.

Exactly, it's like I need to lift the blanket, slip under and stay still with my eyes closed, maybe hands on my chest clasped for a prayer. The other one looks like I can enjoy the comfort and even mess around, with no worry in the world.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I get out of bed rather neatly so I just flip the blanket back and it's basically made.

Thing is, does it really make a difference making your bed first thing in the morning vs neatening it up just before you head for bed?

Skux

But unless you are having people over there is no advantage to making your bed

Making the bed isn't for other people, it's a thing you do for yourself to keep your living environment tidy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i make the same argument with wiping my ass.

just kidding, what are you OP an animal? make your bed ffs.

hydruxo

Same thing with showers tbh. I'm just gonna sweat tomorrow so why I gotta shower today? Conserve water people. Earf is dyin💦💦💦💦💦💦💦

I feel gross if I don't shower once a day. Even if I'm just hanging out around the house, I always feel way better after I shower even if I wasn't sweaty/dirty.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel very uncomfortable if the bed isn't well made. Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night to make it, if it's too messy.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
hqdefault.jpg

Look, even Mr. Van Houten can do it.

Jakten

The correct answer is the appeal.

When you are tired as fuck at night which would you rather jump into?

1)
2)

2, If I am tired I don't want to have to worry about un-tucking shit, I want to lay down and sleep. It's the same bed, both are going to be equally comfortable. To me this is like asking "whats more inviting, a closed door covered in locks or an open door?"

I do it because I fully internalized the extreme efforts that drill sergeants went to emasculate and infantilize me during basic training. I like to remind myself that I'm worthless and can't even make a bed properly so that I can never have self-confidence.

Oh wait, people actually do this shit without someone screaming in their face like a psychopath? Wow, haha.

Skinpop

Exactly, how do people not get that?

that and it's a routine taught to build diligence and organizational skills. The value beyond simply being more pleasant is in that it's something you commit to and see through to the end.

that said, I don't make my bed since I was never taught to do so. I have other routines that serve the same purpose.

Dishwalla

Banned
My old Senior Chief once told us to take pride in our racks on the ship, because when you do and you have a shitty day at least you can still look towards your neat and tidy rack as an accomplishment.

...I never make my bed at home.

v1lla21

I feel gross if I don't shower once a day. Even if I'm just hanging out around the house, I always feel way better after I shower even if I wasn't sweaty/dirty.
I was kidding lol. I also shower everyday. One of the first things I do every morning. Even then, I feel dirty by the end of the day even if I did nothing. If I get home by the end of the end of the day and I was sweating or was active I'll shower before bed and then shower again the next day.

My old Senior Chief once told us to take pride in our racks on the ship, because when you do and you have a shitty day at least you can still look towards your neat and tidy rack as an accomplishment.

...I never make my bed at home.

when I have a shitty day at least I can look forward to a fully stocked bar and a messy bed I can collapse into

There's an idea that, in terms of productivity in a day, that making the bed sets the tone for the rest of the day.

It's a task, but a simple one to complete, if you don't do it, the world doesn't end, but by doing it, your mental list of "things to do today" already has an item marked off the list and it gives you a sense of accomplishment.

And, the odd thing? It works. I don't make my bed every day, but I feel like I'm more ready for the day when I do.

If I'm the only person sleeping in the bed, then hardly ever. The blankets are pulled back to just the right position to climb right back into at night.

But sleeping with someone else, nearly always. He always pulls the covers on his side of the bed in winter or shovels them all on to me in the summer. If I don't make the bed, the covers are completely uneven and annoying to try and straighten out once I get into bed. Plus, if one of us is laying down on the bed during the day with clothes on, it help keep the sheets from getting dirty.

ChrisD

There's an idea that, in terms of productivity in a day, that making the bed sets the tone for the rest of the day.

It's a task, but a simple one to complete, if you don't do it, the world doesn't end, but by doing it, your mental list of "things to do today" already has an item marked off the list and it gives you a sense of accomplishment.

And, the odd thing? It works. I don't make my bed every day, but I feel like I'm more ready for the day when I do.

This is why I would do it, except I don't really have a bed to make most of the year. I just sleep under a quilt because it's comfortable. But it's over-sized and doesn't really fit my bed, so I just wad it up and put it at the foot of the bed/corner of the bedframe and wall.

In the winter when I drag out multiple blankets I do make it, though. Keeps the bottom sheets that I'll be laying on warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom