• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of making your bed every morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread frustrates the hell out of me.
It's your bed, it takes one freaking second to grab the blanket, whip it and it looks nice and clean all day. Just straighten it out, don't be a fucking slob.

I swear to god, some people just want to be petulant children about minor things. I bet the guys that don't make up their bed also don't clean their toilets or brush their teeth.

I haven't made a bed in years yet still brush my teeth and clean my house regularly. It's not the same thing, making a bed doesn't make it cleaner. You might as well be saying that people who don't alphabetise their DVD collection probably shit themselves on a daily basis, the filthy bastards.

The correct answer is the appeal.

When you are tired as fuck at night which would you rather jump into?

1)
10-steps-to-making-the-perfect-bed-beds.jpg

2)

I personally don't make my bed, but absolutely love staying at hotels knowing my bed looks so appealing to jump into at night.

Two is so much better.

E92 M3

What's the point of having a bedframe? Just put the mattress on the floor.

It doesnt surprise me anymore that people keep their homes a mess.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
What's the point of having a bedframe? Just put the mattress on the floor.

It doesnt surprise me anymore that people keep their homes a mess.

Id say about 50% of my friends dont have bed frames.

Anyone remember that thread where some dude didnt use bed sheets?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
never do it. But we have a duvet rather than blankets, so we just fold the duvet back on the bed so the bedsheets get an airing during the day - having it all tucked in and looking 'neat' doesn't seem right to me, you're never letting the sheets get aired.

I also *hate* hotel beds. The first thing I do when I check in is untuck the stupid bloody blankets/sheets that make it impossible to get in - I don't want to feel like I'm in a straightjacket when I'm sleeping - I want loose covers. And during my stay I have 'do not disturb' on the handle permanently to stop them remaking my bed.

I throw my duvet back on in roughly the right place, the bed is like 80% made. A flatmate of mine every day makes their bed like the Queen is coming to visit, complete with about 6 redundant pillows on top of half the bed which no one would ever use. I don't understand that.

Kazuhira

obsession? what are you talking about?
You lose less than 1 min per day to make your bed,that's why people don't mind to do it everyday.

Evilisk

Yeah I usually never make my bed. Not to say I've never done it before; if I wake up in a really good mood, I don't mind doing it. But that doesn't happen often at all lol

There is no point. Making the bed is unsanitary and uncomfortable, especially in warm weather. Growing up it was always the one chore that got me upset. I'll gladly clean the bathroom, wash the dishes, and do the laundry, since I could always see why they needed to be done. But the bed is going to look like a hurricane hit, since I likely needed some air flow when it got hot, rather than making a heated germ trap.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I also sleep on the floor

I have a Japanese style futon bed. I have to make it every day since it might grow mildew if I don't unmake it every day and fold it up.

It's very comfortable once you get used to it.

How does it being a Japanese style futon bed make it grow mildew?

I don't ever do anything in the bedroom except sleep, so I never make my bed.

Nobody is going to know it's unmade except me, and I checked with myself and it turns out I don't care.

How does it being a Japanese style futon bed make it grow mildew?

Because futons are very low to the floor or straight up just on the floor, meaning that there's not a lot of room for air to flow, which is especially bad in a house/apartment that tends to be damp and is thus vulnerable to mould/mildew.

TedMilk

I live on my own, and only make my bed when I'm changing it or when my GF comes over (typically once or twice a week).

I get that it's a good habit to do it, but I'm terrible at forming good habits and since the only benefit is psychological, fuck it. I have very little in the way of pride anyway.

If you don't make your bed it's 'ready to use' straight away!

If you are too lazy to make your bed, then you are probably too lazy to do the vacuuming, wash your dishes as you go, clean out your fridge, clean your bathroom and every other chore that the bone idle avoid like the plague.

No, just no. Again, you people who equating making your bed to those things are crazed. It's nothing alike, and it's blowing my mind that people keep thinking they are. I'll repeat again
Making your bed =/= cleaning your bed, so stop comparing it to actually cleaning things.

From the sounds of it, most of you guys who make your bed probably don't even wash your bed linens since apparently tucking in your blanket and straightening out your bed sheet are enough for you to think they're clean.

Making your bed every morning is kind of unsanitary. You need to give your sheets time to air out and not just trap your sweat and oils in there(Making your bed just creates a breeding ground for mites.)

Dryk

I swear to god, some people just want to be petulant children about minor things. I bet the guys that don't make up their bed also don't clean their toilets or brush their teeth.
I swear to god, some people get so defensive about rituals and traditions that have no objective value. Like a lot of standards of presentation making your bed is a thing you do purely to keep up appearances, or feel better about yourself because it's been drilled into you that you need to keep up appearances, and that's okay. Just don't ascribe some objective superiority to it where none exists.

Budi

No, just no. Again, you people who equating making your bed to those things are crazed. It's nothing alike, and it's blowing my mind that people keep thinking they are. I'll repeat again
Making your bed =/= cleaning your bed, so stop comparing it to actually cleaning things.

From the sounds of it, most of you guys who make your bed probably don't even wash your bed linens since apparently tucking in your blanket and straightening out your bed sheet are enough for you to think they're clean.

I really wish these people would give up some of that "discipline" and try some intelligence instead. This thread is so embarrassing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I swear to god, some people get so defensive about rituals and traditions that have no objective value.

Pulling a sheet straight so it looks uncluttered is now a 'ritual and/or tradition'.

I suddenly feel really old on this board.

entremet

Pulling a sheet straight so it looks uncluttered is now a 'ritual and/or tradition'.

I suddenly feel really old on this board.
It's a poor argument since humans ascribe subjective value to almost everything lol. Otherwise art would not exist.

Postmoderns gonna postmodern lol.

What's the point of opening the curtains?

I get up in the morning, go have breakfast, get washed, go back into the bedroom, turn down the duvet, open the curtains and leave for the day. In the evening when passing my room I'll fold the duvet back up so it's ready to enter at night, then when it's dark shut the curtains.

Ithil

To not be a slob?

Why iron your clothes, they're just gonna get wrinkled again as you wear them? Why brush your hair, it'll just get messed up again when you go to sleep?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
what's the point of showering? you're just gonna get dirty again anyway.
what's the point of ironing your clothes? you're just gonna get them wrinkled again anyway.
what's the point of eating good food? it's just going to turn into shit anyway.

Please stop making analogy for the rest of your life. Those are miserable to look at .

Ithil

Making your bed every morning is kind of unsanitary. You need to give your sheets time to air out and not just trap your sweat and oils in there(Making your bed just creates a breeding ground for mites.)

Alternate proposal: Change your sheets on a regular basis.

Moaradin

I never make it every morning. I only do it when it gets super fucked up and becomes undone, or after I wash the sheets.

Aces&Eights

One and done.

My favorite thing is coming home to a clean fresh room after a long day at work, it centers me.

If it helps OP I can never be one of those people who doesn't have a TV in their bedroom, another big tip for a peaceful life.

This. Have my 4k and ps4 in my room. I have a pretty bad back so when I come home from work a couch is not going to be comfortable. Laying on my made bed in a clean room is the best.

reKon

Banned
what's the point of showering? you're just gonna get dirty again anyway.
what's the point of ironing your clothes? you're just gonna get them wrinkled again anyway.
what's the point of eating good food? it's just going to turn into shit anyway.

How old are you?

Brinbe

Yes, it's the people that aren't making the bed that are petulant children and obviously not the ones pitching a fit about it. Are people ever self-aware when they make these comments? Christ...
KuGsj.gif

Feels good getting into a freshly made bed rather than a pile of messy blankets.
This...I'm so used to it from growing up my mom kept nagging us to make our beds in the morning and I learned to appreciate it even more when I was in the service, after a few weeks or months in the field getting dirty ...it feels good coming back to your barracks too a nice tight clean bed...just the little things make you feel better about yourselves

Sarye

I can see the benefit of making the bed if you're the type who gets on the bed with shoes on. (You heathen) For me, I don't really lie on my bed until after I shower so I find it a bit pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom