• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you played all year?

Alex

Nintendoland - I didn't figure I would like it, and honestly I probably just shouldn't have opened it.

LittleBigPlanet Vita - I don't know why I keep buying these things.

No my opinion isn't fact but there are game most sane people agree are bad. RE6 and Steel Battalion fit that. Even fans of Resident Evil didn't like the Resident Evil game.

There are things that most people agree are bad design decisions like checkpoints before cut scenes and pause menus that have to load. Those aren't fact either but people have come to a consensus that they are bad things.

Look, fair enough that the thread should probably be titled "Most disappointing game you played this year", only because most people avoid the truly unacceptable games altogether, so by default their "worst" game is going to be a major release they were disappointed with.

But is that really such a difficult concept for you to internalize like the rest of us?

Ok, I see your point.

Yet, if I play an average-good game and find flaws in it I could think not to mention it as "The best game I've played in recent times". Yet, at the same time I'd think twice before adding it in a "worst game" list.

In this topic I've read the titles of Max Payne 2, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3...

This is also true. But if you've played two games all year one of them is going to be the worst you have played all year but that isn't really useful information.

What else exactly is the point of this thread then? Was there some stipulation to not post unless you've played at least 10 of the 15 biggest releases this year?

I would agree most discussions tend to predictably go down the same chutes around here, but if the thread stops being interesting for you, you don't have to say anything or keep reading it.

Sorry I don't mean to be so rude, but I don't think we should be discouraging posts by moving the goalposts mid-thread.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Diablo 3. Simply not a good game. Outdated mechanics, outdated combat, bad story, cheesy dialogue.. like early 90's saturday morning cartoon bad. All done worse by the Auction house. They even managed to make the item hunt boring.

megalowho

Thought on this for a bit, came up with StarDrone Extreme. A cheap Vita title that I grabbed on impulse, doesn't have huge ambitions but it's just a very mediocre iOS style diversion with little variety and low production values all around. It gets frustratingly hard too, both by design and due to poor control, and the ability to skip over levels after a point is DLC (once paid, now free).

Don't mean to bag on a little game when there's bigger targets out there, but if I'm just going by worst overall and taking personal expectations and disappointment out of it then StarDrone probably takes the crown.

Coolwhip

Banned
Guild Wars 2. I don't play many games per year but this was my worst. Very bland game, just not fun to play and very limited gameplay.

Lerozz

Gotta go with RE6 as well.

Even considering cutting it some slack because I am not playing most of it under the best circumstances (splitscreen coop ... played the demo coop normal as well as parts of the full game though before), there is still nothing that comes close to this letdown. :/

Edit: Just realised that Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City also came out this year. Then I think I'd rather go with that one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, damn, my tastes are fucked up this year.

I actually loved RE6 despite some of its issues. The game had a steep learning curve but I found the combat deeply satisfying after getting over the initial hump. EVERYONE seems to absolutely detest the game, though, which has me wondering what the fuck is going on.

ScOULaris

Nier won OST of 2010 on GAF by a landslide, so if you didn't like it, well... there are plenty of people that did. Not everyone likes the same music, so that's cool.

But, the main problem is that Nier isn't the sort of game that can be fairly judged by its first couple of hours. Not saying you'd change your view had you played it all the way through, but I suspect you'd realize what many of us really liked about the game.

Your loss.

It very well might have gotten better after I quit, but I'll be damned if those first few hours weren't the worst thing I've played all year. I feel like I'm going insane when I read the GAF praise for Nier. The music made my ears bleed, the dialog raped my soul, and the gameplay bored me literally to tears.

NinjaBoiX

Toss up between Lollipop Chainsaw and Ninja Gaiden 3. Probably the former, because I bought it day one and actually expected it be good. At least I kinda knew what I was getting into with NG3 after all those hype deflation prior to release.
I really like LC. It's not the best combat engine in the world, and it's a bit rough around the edges, but it's hugely entertaining. In bought NG3, buy haven't played it yet. NG3 sigma is apparently coming, so I probably won't bother with the vanilla one.

There were a lot of overhyped, uninteresting, unimaginative, sloppily concieved, lazily almost cynically developed AAA fare this year, but Blops 2 beats them all.

They didn't even try. They didn't even try to try.

Horns

Two Worlds 2. The first one was a mess, but I had read years ago that TW2 was much improved. It wasn't. There were a ton of bugs. I made it half way through the game and I couldn't progress anymore. I was stuck at this one point where I couldn't beat it, couldn't get leave that area and couldn't lower the difficulty so I could beat it. I had to cut my losses at that point.

Game of Thrones - the RPG one.

I played through the whole thing on PS3 - almost 30 hours - in a state of denial, and it's only looking back (after having watched the TV series and playing better games) that I realize the entire thing was complete shit. I have no idea why I stuck it out. Literally every time I think of the game I am disgusted.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There were a lot of overhyped, uninteresting, unimaginative, sloppily concieved, lazily almost cynically developed AAA fare this year, but Blops 2 beats them all.

They didn't even try. They didn't even try to try.
Wait, what? I'm not a huge Call of Duty fan myself but BLOPS2 was perhaps one of the first in years where it seemed that they actually gave their best shot at delivering something different. The game has the most significant number of changes made to the campaign formula since the series inception and actually tries to tell a story for once. There was nothing lazy about it.

That doesn't mean it was excellent, but it's not fair to suggest that they didn't even try.

NinjaBoiX

They didn't even try.
To be fair, they clearly did try, as it's at least attempting to break the mould a little. I'm not saying they succeeded particularly, but they tried.

It's generic, and possibly not even very good, but "they didn't even try", "cynically developed" doesnt really fit with BlOps 2. I think that's an unfair critique.

Basically what darkx10 said. Your miles of the mark. If you didn't like it, cool, but try to use relevant points in your argument.

It very well might have gotten better after I quit, but I'll be damned if those first few hours weren't the worst thing I've played all year. I feel like I'm going insane when I read the GAF praise for Nier. The music made my ears bleed, the dialog raped my soul, and the gameplay bored me literally to tears.

Pics or it didn't happen

Gotta be honest, Nier OST didn't do much for me until I sat with the game for a while. It's been a while, but I think the arranged soundtrack actually impressed me a lot more right out of the gate.

Kingdoms of Amalur- Man, what a generic,uninspired mess. The world was by the book fantasy. The quests were fetch quests. I paid $50 for this crap. I played for five hours and quit.

Mupod

I didn't play a lot of different games this year, which is pretty uncharacteristic of me. I spent a ton of time (I'd say average of at least 120+ hours) on TERA, Diablo 3, ME3 multiplayer, Mechwarrior Online, Dark Souls PC and recently Planetside 2. A few 3DS titles aside that didn't leave a lot of time for other games.

So, even though I wouldn't call it an awful game, Armored Core 5 has to be my clear winner (loser?). Part of my problem is that I was super hyped for it and thus the disappointment was magnified, but I had serious issues with the game's customization, singleplayer campaign, and implementation of multiplayer. There's something really wrong if you're playing an Armored Core game and there is one 'right' way to build your mech and every other part for that section is a complete downgrade, the firing stability stat was the worst culprit but certain weapons had clear 'better' choices as well. SP was boring and forgettable, not even close to For Answer. At least the co-op was usable this time, which is the only reason I even finished the game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, they clearly did try, as it's at least attempting to break the mould a little. I'm not saying they succeeded particularly, but they tried.

It's generic, and possibly not even very good, but "they didn't even try", "cynically developed" doesnt really fit with BlOps 2. I think that's an unfair critique.

Basically what darkx10 said. Your miles of the mark. If you didn't like it, cool, but try to use relevant points in your argument.

I agree that did they try something new with the campaign, but the multiplayer is the same stale affair.

chiablo

Torchlight 2.

I guess after experiencing the disappointment of Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 was supposed to be the chosen one to bring back balance to the force. But it just ended up being a boring version of Diablo 2. I loved Torchlight 1, but Torchlight 2 wasn't able to capture the same excitement I had for the genre.

It's almost as if Diablo 3 came in as the last nail in the Action RPG coffin, and Torchlight 2 was the pile of dirt that was haphazardly thrown on top. Maybe if they had met their original goal and released it last year, it would have made more of an impact.

Mileena

Banned
Wait, what? I'm not a huge Call of Duty fan myself but BLOPS2 was perhaps one of the first in years where it seemed that they actually gave their best shot at delivering something different. The game has the most significant number of changes made to the campaign formula since the series inception and actually tries to tell a story for once. There was nothing lazy about it.

That doesn't mean it was excellent, but it's not fair to suggest that they didn't even try.
Disappointment comes from the multi. It's a laggy piece of shit that shouldn't have been released the way it is. The game usually punishes you for having a decent connection.

Phenomic

What is it about this year that just didn't live up to any expectations at all what so ever for me?

Was everything I played just genuinely mediocre?

Am I just getting older and more jaded?

GOTY is going to be very hard for me this year, almost to the point where I'm not even sure if I want to participate because there wasn't one stand out title to me that shined above the rest like normal.

FF13-2, TOGf, Pandora's Tower, Diablo 3, RE6, Darksiders 2, VLR (which I still haven't finished but find it much more tedious and enjoying it less than 999), Assassins Creed 3 are just a few that I enjoyed but it's almost like they were all 6's or 7's nothing shined through the darkness.

Midou

Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Diablo 3.

Both games I had negative expectations for, and still managed to massively disappoint, huge bonus points.

I don't play COD for their campaign. They have been laughably terrible post COD4... embarrassingly so. I did not finish Blops 2's campaign but for what I was able to choke down, it was no different than the rest sans an open story (that is awful) and a couple of side-quests that don't even work, oh and some smoke and mirrors about fighting in an open spaces when in reality you are still stuck on rails.

But regardless, my previous post was more about the MP. I should have stated so.

The one title that gave me buyer's remorse this year [because I thought it was so bad] was PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

I gave it an honest shot, I really did, but the "only score with supers" system never stopped being awkward. When supers missed it was frustrating and when they hit it just felt cheap. Because of that, no matter how awesome a combo was set up, it never felt satisfying. It never felt as if it mattered what I did or how well I played. I thought it was a terrible fighter/brawler and a gigantic letdown to me as a fan of the genre as well as some of the characters.

I never even bothered installing the free Vita version...

I'm envious of everyone that is saying Diablo III and Resident Evil 6 are the worst games you've played all year.

For me:

Hulk Hogan's Main Event
Ninja Gaiden 3
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Blades of Time

Those are bad games.

NinjaBoiX

I agree that did they try something new with the campaign, but the multiplayer is the same stale affair.
Well there isn't a whole lot you can do without upsetting millions of loyal fans. I'd say getting rid of killstreaks for scorestreaks and "pick 10" are decent enough attempts at mixing it up without screwing it up completely.

Marv_79

Neo Member
MGS2 on the Vita. I've never played a MGS game before but man it controls like shit!

I tried and I tried to like but them controls are shocking.

Verelios

Pics or it didn't happen

Gotta be honest, Nier OST didn't do much for me until I sat with the game for a while. It's been a while, but I think the arranged soundtrack actually impressed me a lot more right out of the gate.

The problem with Nier's is that it was extremely situational. Like, there would be areas which would have absolutely amazing composed pieces, but it would loop continuously. A lot of people eventually got bored with the whole monotonous repetition, but I found it was alight in some instances. Such as the music in your home area. It's beautiful. It's simple but elegant, and once you start going through NG+, reading about the different nuances that you felt weren't quite right but didn't question, it'll just click.

I love the moment when music just meshes with the player. It's like when you're having a good flow, and you just let the music play away. If you've ever played TWEWY, it's kind of like that. But yes, it's extremely situational, and I actually got kind of sick listening to the same song over and over again (seaside village). There are too few arrangements, but what is presented is done brilliantly. I especially love the chorale music at the lost shrine.

Xevren

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Just an awful game. Be happy RE 6, if it weren't for that game it would have been you instead.

UrbanRats

I was gonna say Assassin's Creed 3, but i just remembered that this summeri bought Force Unleashed II, which was among the 10 worst games i have ever played.

The problem with Nier's is that it was extremely situational. Like, there would be areas which would have absolutely amazing composed pieces, but it would loop continuously. A lot of people eventually got bored with the whole monotonous repetition, but I found it was alight in some instances. Such as the music in your home area. It's beautiful. It's simple but elegant, and once you start going through NG+, reading about the different nuances that you felt weren't quite right but didn't question, it'll just click.

I love the moment when music just meshes with the player. It's like when you're having a good flow, and you just let the music play away. If you've ever played TWEWY, it's kind of like that. But yes, it's extremely situational, and I actually got kind of sick listening to the same song over and over again (seaside village). There are too few arrangements, but what is presented is done brilliantly. I especially love the chorale music at the lost shrine.

Yeah, this is it exactly for me. But to an extent, I feel this is true about most of the game. It's a package of excellent bits put together in not always the best ways, and sometimes in ways that make you actively dislike it. You can't really enjoy the game unless you can be patient with it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Well there isn't a whole lot you can do without upsetting millions of loyal fans. I'd say getting rid of killstreaks for scorestreaks and "pick 10" are decent enough attempts at mixing it up without screwing it up completely.

I know, but I still dislike the formulaic approach. I'm sure it's gonna freshen up when the next big thing comes out and teens move to that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
oh hey I just though that m-

Acquiescence said:
Just Cause 2

tumblr_mav8r5muTd1qdkjito1_250.gif

Tain

I was feeling kinda alien when RE6 came out and I realized how many people disliked it, but I'm floored at how many people are saying ORC is a better game.

atomico

Scene It? Movie Night: Mega Movies (XBLA)
Generic and boring. Or maybe I was spoiled by Moviecat and You Don't Know Jack

Serious Sam: BFE (PC)
It's like Serious Sam, except soulless

Top Bottom