• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where, oh where, is the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I want it just so I do not have to hassle with moving joycons between grip and docked tablet to charge and can just leave the joycons on the tablet for easy switching.

Skeletos311

I 'm hoping that there is a deal of some sort before launch. Newegg sometimes has $XX off coupons.

On a side note- I hear some horror stories here regarding Gamestop and it makes me feel like I have the gold standard with my local gamestop. They are very knowledgeable in a good way.

Some of these guys they have at GS have no clue about anything besides AAA PS4 and XBO games or have no customer service skills and you'll heard about them the most. I got 2 GS close by and one of them has great people and the other is a crap shoot.

Crayon

It's why I want it, that's for sure. If they sell a standalone joycon with a D-pad instead of the buttons, i'll get that too. Plus I can leave my joycons on the main unit to charge while I use the Pro Controller at home.

I bet someone will come up with a left on that has a dpad and for less than 50 bucks.

Honestly, I really liked the pressure sensitive dpad from the dualshock 2 and 3. I prefer it to an analog stick. A left joycon with a pressure sensitive dpad would be dope.

StayDead

I keep reading from impressions that think the Joycon with grip feels better than the pro controller. So I don't feel the need to drop $70 for it.

It's also hideous looking.

I played on both yesterday and while the Joycon with grip feels nice, the Pro controller is a very nice bit of kit.

euan

Neo Member
Has the battery life of the pro controller been confirmed yet? Can't imagine it having the same 80 hour battery life as the wii u pro controller with the additions of gyro/HD rumble. Will hopefully at least match the joy cons 20 hours life.

suaveric

Has the battery life of the pro controller been confirmed yet? Can't imagine it having the same 80 hour battery life as the wii u pro controller with the additions of gyro/HD rumble. Will hopefully at least match the joy cons 20 hours life.

I read 40 hours.

bman94

Guys, check this out:

673358_scr4_a.png

673358_scr2_a.png

You can take the D-pad off, looks like. Doesn't look like it's wireless, though. I was under the impression it was. :(

So THAT'S why the D-Pad was looking so weird. What an awful design choice HORI. Just put a regular D-Pad on there, no one wants that detachable shit. Probably going to control like ass.

Cartho

It's available from the Nintendo U.K. store for cheaper than pretty much anywhere else - £59.99 so £15 more than a DS4. Given the HD rumble tech and stuff in it that's not tooooo bad. Not sure I'll get one on launch though.

OmahaG8

So THAT'S why the D-Pad was looking so weird. What an awful design choice HORI. Just put a regular D-Pad on there, no one wants that detachable shit. Probably going to control like ass.

Looks fundamentally like a 360 dpad - which was complete crap.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'm guessing they did it so you can pop it off and have 4 buttons on the left like the left JoyCon?

Still silly as people would buy something like this primarily to have real dpad at a cost less than the $70 Pro controller.

Yikes. It's just a slot-in d-pad disk that presses on the buttons underneath ... lol

673358_scr6_a.png

Depends on how rigid the D-pad is. All 4-way D-pads are just a cross that presses four buttons/contacts beneath it. Now, if they use a spongy, silicon material.... Or if the buttons beneath are spongy... That's a deal breaker.

Coda

I'll definitely be picking up a legit Nintendo Pro Controller because I love the look and the impressions of the feel has been very positive.

MrNineties

I am digging the look of it too but not sure why they went with the glossy plastic around the USB-C Connection terminal on the top. Looks a bit odd. Would have preferred the same texture as the rest of the unit. 40 hours is super solid though. Blows away the DS4 and XBone battery times easily.

Coda

I am digging the look of it too but not sure why they went with the glossy plastic around the USB-C Connection terminal on the top. Looks a bit odd. Would have preferred the same texture as the rest of the unit. 40 hours is super solid though. Blows away the DS4 and XBone battery times easily.

Same, that part is a bit jarring with the rest of the look of the controller. And yes this looks like the perfect evolution of the Wii U Pro controller. Hoping Best Buy has them on launch day to purchase alongside my system.

itt people don't know how d-pads work

The directional buttons on the BACK of the pad is completely baffling to me. What on earth could that be for? Gyro emulation?

itt people don't know how d-pads work

The directional buttons on the BACK of the pad is completely baffling to me. What on earth could that be for? Gyro emulation?

it looks like it just stores the replaceable buttons on the back so you can swap out whichever d-pad you prefer without losing the other

Strange that this still has not shown up in the US. I want one primarily because its a bit more durable and less essential to the console then the joycons. The joycons being $90 a pair is enough reason for me to not use them as my primary controller, I'll only use them when its undocked

SRTtoZ

What is Nintendo doing? Even Microsoft realized they fucked up not putting a jack on the controller and added one eventually. I guess the only thing I can think of is if this new Nintendo App has a way to stream the game audio. I would actually be okay with that as a headphones user.

Sanke__

So colored joy cons and the joy con charging grip are all sold out

The pro controller is going to sell out super quick if anyone ever actually puts it up for pre order

I mustve not put it in here but I forgot.

On preorder day my gamestop made me put 5 down on a joycon pair in place for the pro controller. Said they will call when I can "switch" it over. Idk if they was tryna hit numbers or what but thats what happened.

kikosho

Neo Member
I posted this in another thread and no one responded:

I don't get why NOA is holding back preorders for the
Switch Pro-Controller? So far I only see this available on 3 online sites. eBay has it for the low price of $200, lol, Amazon.com/UK has it for 99.00, and Zavvi which is for US orders has it available for $74.99+2.99 shipping. I don't know much about them or if they are trustworthy. I was hoping Amazon/US GameStop, or Best Buy would have it up for preorder soon.

Quick question. Did NOA hold back the release of the Wii U Pro Controller at the Wii U launch? I was thinking it wasn't available or they undershipped it at launch and was very hard to find. Can anyone confirm this. If so I hope they don't repeat the same mistake.

AmazonUK's option is no longer listed :(

JaseMath

Question for those that know: How comfortable is the grip style controller? I'm seriously considering the charging grip in lieu of the pro controller. I haven't read any impressions on it's comfort, weight, utilitarian components, etc.

FloresDeHielo

Neo Member
QG5zFqL.png

https://pvplive.net/c/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-pre-order

Like really? So no one will be able to pre-order/buy this until launch day?! Damn and I wanted to avoid having to go through retailers on that day for anything switch related... Got my Zelda Master edition through gamestop online & Switch from Amazon... Looks like I am gonna have to make a trip after all...

Also I don't know if that site is to be believed? I have never come across until now...

Question for those that know: How comfortable is the grip style controller? I'm seriously considering the charging grip in lieu of the pro controller. I haven't read any impressions on it's comfort, weight, utilitarian components, etc.

It was comfortable to hold, but I felt that it forced the joycons too close together. I also felt as though the buttons were too small and the sticks too loose, but weirdly that was only when using the grip, not when using the joycon whilst attached to the console. Perhaps it's a psych thing...

I'm getting a pro controller anyway so I'm not too fussed.

Skeletos311

QG5zFqL.png

https://pvplive.net/c/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-pre-order

Like really? So no one will be able to pre-order/buy this until launch day?! Damn and I wanted to avoid having to go through retailers on that day for anything switch related... Got my Zelda Master edition through gamestop online & Switch from Amazon... Looks like I am gonna have to make a trip after all...

Also I don't know if that site is to be believed? I have never come across until now...

I don't think this says anything we don't already know. It says it goes on sale on 3/3. It does not say that there will not be any pre-ordering.

Top Bottom