• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's my Fallout 3 teaser Bethesda?!

epmode

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Ok. The past ten posts actually make me feel like It's more civil on the fallout 3 board. Perhaps, it's even more logical at the moment.
Yep.

I can't believe someone is still bitching about fast travel.

Prime crotch said:
Ok serious non Fallout related question. Why does the stand-by screen has an indian face? I've known that screen from TV shows but is there any meaning to it?

it's the stand by screen they used in the 50's

they used it in Fallout 1 or 2 for some of the loading screens

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Number 2 said:
Well if their last two games which came out over the last 5 years is anything to go by, there has been a trend of dumbing down game mechanics. To contrast with the Bethesda from yesteryear, Daggerfall actually made the mechanics of Arena more complex to help simulate realism (no set classes, for example). Ever since Lefay left, the games haven't been the same. Everything from lore to gameplay has been affected and id rather not go into it right now.

ill be nice and just say that i appreciate Todd Howard more in action games than i do in rpgs.

I don't think Morrowwind was "dumbed" per se.. just tightened its focus..

Clevinger

Zzoram said:
Fast travel kinda kills the atmosphere of the game. Oblivion was bigger than Morrowind but felt smaller because you moved so fast. A lot of the fun of Morrowind was having to walk around so much. Most people who played Oblivion didn't do all that much walking, and why would they? Click the map and you're where you want to be. Morrowind had limited fast travel, in the form of paid stiltstrider rides between some cities and towns. If Oblivion had something like that, it would've been much better than fast travel. Ya you can say just don't use it, but if it's there, most people will use it, and it really changes the feel of the game. The other stupid thing about fast travel is you started the game with all the cities important to the main quest on your map. Sure because your character is a citizen he'd know where they are, but as a player it's your first time in the world. Actually finding the cities would be good, and it's not like all the roads and signs make it hard to find them.

If you wanted to explore/move slow, you shouldn't have used fast travel. It was there as an option to reduce tedium, not a requirement. Regardless of what you liked, I and many others would find it tedious to walk so far a distance when we have no desire to. Thankfully, you had the option to ignore Fast Travel...

Clevinger said:
I didn't say there were thousands. In fact, I said the opposite. You're probably thinking of races, but regardless, there were over a thousand unique faces in the game. You simply aren't going to get the uniqueness or beauty of HL2 with that large a number, but the Facegen served it's purpose and the hyperbole is asinine.
Clevinger said:
HL2 only had a few face models to create. Oblivion had over a thousand faces...
I didn't want uniqueness for the lesser NPCs but they were just ugly even Patrick Stewart's character.

Zzoram

Number 2 said:
Well if their last two games which came out over the last 5 years is anything to go by, there has been a trend of dumbing down game mechanics. To contrast with the Bethesda from yesteryear, Daggerfall actually made the mechanics of Arena more complex to help simulate realism (no set classes, for example). Ever since Lefay left, the games haven't been the same. Everything from lore to gameplay has been affected and id rather not go into it right now.

ill be nice and just say that i appreciate Todd Howard more in action games than i do in rpgs.

Ya, Oblivion is definitely more of an action game than an RPG.

To be honest, I'm not happy Bethesda got the license. Only Bioware could be trusted with this sort of license, since their track record is much better for the type of game Fallout was. Fallout was an AD&D based open ended western RPG with moral choices and great dialogue. KOTOR showed us that Bioware can make a great AD&D based western RPG with moral dilemma and good dialogue, focusing on a handful of strong characters using a 3D engine. Mass Effect is going more down the action route but is inevitably going to have better gameplay mechanics for a Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Western AD&D RPG type game than anything Bethesda will likely be making.

rs7k

Zzoram said:
Ya, Oblivion is definitely more of an action game than an RPG.

To be honest, I'm not happy Bethesda got the license. Only Bioware could be trusted with this sort of license, since their track record is much better for the type of game Fallout was. Fallout was an AD&D based open ended western RPG with moral choices and great dialogue. KOTOR showed us that Bioware can make a great AD&D based western RPG with moral dilemma and good dialogue, focusing on a handful of strong characters using a 3D engine. Mass Effect is going more down the action route but is inevitably going to have better gameplay mechanics for a Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Western AD&D RPG type game than anything Bethesda will likely be making.

It will still be a good game, most likely. For one I'm happy a company with Bethesda's size and budgets got the license. Is there anyone from the original Fallout teams involved here?

Zzoram

Clevinger said:
If you wanted to explore/move slow, you shouldn't have used fast travel. It was there as an option to reduce tedium, not a requirement. Regardless of what you liked, I and many others would find it tedious to walk so far a distance when we have no desire to. Thankfully, you had the option to ignore Fast Travel...

I already addressed that if you read my whole post. Just being there means most people will use it, which changes the way most people experience the game. It takes away from the feeling of being in a really big world, which is what the Elder Scrolls games have always tried to feel like.

Clevinger

Prime crotch said:
I didn't want uniqueness for the lesser NPCs but they were just ugly even Patrick Stewart's character.

Over a thousand does not equal thousands.

And I didn't say some weren't ugly. Martin and some of the other main NPCs looked better.

Zzoram

rs7k said:
It will still be a good game, most likely. For one I'm happy a company with Bethesda's size and budgets got the license. Is there anyone from the original Fallout teams involved here?

I have no doubt that Fallout 3 will be a good game, and I did like Oblivion. I bought the Collector's Edition and played it for about 200 hours on PC, but that doesn't mean I'll suckle Bethesda's teet. They made a good game, but it wasn't as good as it could've been if they kept some of the ideas from Morrowind. Luckily, user mods in the PC space fixed almost everything wrong with the game, starting with the level-scaling of enemies and loot. It was brutal to even play the vanilla PC game without at least BTMod, the inventory icons were enormous for a high res PC monitor and you could only see like 5 items at a time. Clearly something they didn't bother to change when porting the console version over.

Zzoram

Clevinger said:
Over a thousand does not equal thousands.

And I didn't say some weren't ugly. Martin and some of the other main NPCs looked better.

The main NPCs were still ugly. They should've custom made those faces, and let Facegen have all the generic guys.

Clevinger

Zzoram said:
I already addressed that if you read my whole post. Just being there means most people will use it, which changes the way most people experience the game. It takes away from the feeling of being in a really big world, which is what the Elder Scrolls games have always tried to feel like.

If people have no self control, they shouldn't bitch. It's an idiotic argument. It'd be like me bitching that I'm able to open up the console in Morrowind and use "COC Balmora" to warp there. The choice is there.

You have the ability to stack weapons on each other and jump around on it with your clothes off. That doesn't mean people are inclined to do it just because the option is there...

If you think fast travel is the devil, then do the logical thing AND DON'T ****ING USE IT.

Zzoram

Clevinger said:
If people have no self control, they shouldn't bitch. It's an idiotic argument. It'd be like me bitching that I'm able to open up the console in Morrowind and use "COC Balmora" to warp there.

You have the ability to stack weapons on each other and jump around on it with your clothes off. That doesn't mean people are inclined to do it just because the option is there...

I'm not saying for me, but I mean for the people new to the franchise. They all used fast travel. Their game experience would've been different if they didn't use fast travel. They will never know that, because they have never experienced Morrowind and Oblivion had fast travel so they used it.

Blackace

White Man said:
What the hell is taking so long? I WANT TO BITCH, BETHESDA!

feel free to start.. the lack of media hasn't stopped anyone in here..

Gattsu25

Banned
Zzoram said:
I'm not saying for me, but I mean for the people new to the franchise. They all used fast travel. Their game experience would've been different if they didn't use fast travel. They will never know that, because they have never experienced Morrowind and Oblivion had fast travel so they used it.
But what if they were returning Daggerfall fans and expected fast travel?

Zzoram

Just to be clear, I bought Oblivion CE for the PC and I'll buy Fallout 3 CE for the PC as well (for the mods to make the game better) but that doesn't mean I have to worship Bethesda and see no wrong in their decisions. It just sucks to know what they'll do to the franchise on the gameplay side, and that Bioware would've did a better job.

Zzoram

Gattsu25 said:
But what if they were returning Daggerfall fans and expected fast travel?

Returning Daggerfall fans would either be severely disappointed in the simplicity of the gameplay in Oblivion or impressed by the technical aspects.

Avalon

Zzoram said:
Just to be clear, I bought Oblivion CE for the PC and I'll buy Fallout 3 CE for the PC as well (for the mods to make the game better) but that doesn't mean I have to worship Bethesda and see no wrong in their decisions. It just sucks to know what they'll do to the franchise on the gameplay side, and that Bioware would've did a better job.

Nah. Their on the same boat as Bethesda. They are both making games primarily for the console audience. Only people who would really make a Fallout in the spirit of the originals is Obsidian.

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
LOL ITS UP BUT ITS NOT! LOL

*Right Click* --> *Save As* --> *Enter* --> File disappears --> *Right Click* --> *Save As* --> *Enter* --> File disappears --> *Right Click* --> *Save As* --> *Enter* --> File....

Blackace

I downloaded a Rating pending video .. then static.. :lol :lol about 4 secs long.

Zzoram

Avalon said:
Nah. Their on the same boat as Bethesda. They are both making games primarily for the console audience. Only people who would really make a Fallout in the spirit of the originals is Obsidian.

Bioware may have started working on console games, but they are not as bad as Bethesda :lol

KOTOR is a better model for what Fallout 3 should be than Oblivion and it's really old. Mass Effect will probably prove to be the best model for what Fallout 3 should be. Bioware still knows how to put choice(for how to complete quests, resulting in real different outcomes) and good dialogue into their games. Oblivion didn't have much of either.

Blackace

it is 2:26 long.. but I can't get it all..

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Vark said:
All the faces in the game were generated with unique settings.

And that makes the face making tool that much more disappointing.

Then again, Bethsoft artists never had the flair for good looking people. (See Morrowind)

Kabouter

Lonesome_Raod said:
Got some old generator and light buzzing on/static before a song much like the ones in the first games kicked in. then nothing.
I think it may be the insides of a jukebox, and I got exactly the same thing. Nothing else yet :(

Zzoram

Oh and as for AO not being viable right now, that could change pretty soon. Most people who are Fallout fans are older than 18 because of how old Fallout 1/2 are, and Valve has shown that a digital model for distribution can work. The only way to get Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal without rebuying Half-Life2 with it is to buy it on Steam. They must have serious faith in their digital model, or expect everyone to buy Half-Life 2 again.

There is only 1 year of age separating M from AO, it's only retailers that are holding AO back. What we really need is a game like GTA IV to be AO. That's a game most retailers couldn't resist putting on shelves, regardless of rating. Something like that would open up AO to actually being viable.

KTallguy

Banned
Zzoram said:
Oh and as for AO not being viable right now, that could change pretty soon. Most people who are Fallout fans are older than 18 because of how old Fallout 1/2 are, and Valve has shown that a digital model for distribution can work. The only way to get Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal without rebuying Half-Life2 with it is to buy it on Steam. They must have serious faith in their digital model, or expect everyone to buy Half-Life 2 again.

I'm perfectly happy with Steam. I've only had good experiences with it, especially since it's gotten updated more and more. I'm glad that they're pushing it more.

Top Bottom