• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which do you prefer: Super Mario Galaxy series or Super Mario 3D series?

Davey Cakes

I also enjoyed SM3DL and SM3DW alot, but we need another Galaxy game urgently!
To be honest, I don't really want Galaxy 3 unless it goes absolutely insane with concepts.

At this point I'd rather see Super Mario 3D World 2 in the same style as Super Mario Bros. 2. Bring back Subcon, with all of those classic enemies like Shy Guy, Snifit, Ninji, Phanto, Birdo, Mouser, etc. I think that would be really refreshing.

Or make a new platformer that takes notes from the Mario RPGs or other games within the franchise in general. Set it in a world different from the Mushroom Kingdom (but not necessarily in the stars either, like Galaxy) and even do things like make Bowser's minions playable against a new foe.

They could bring back a mix of non-linear ("platforming playground") and linear level designs. Think about jumping around all sorts of sewers, Toad villages, and castles that feel like they're actually attached to a world rather than just being a giant floating area in outer space.

The Galaxy formula allows for all sorts of creativity. Those two games are amazing. But, Ninty can branch out and do new things, taking inspiration from other areas within the Mario franchise. I'm interested to see where they take the next game and if it'll be somewhat safe or more on the experimental side.

urfe

I've only played Galaxy 1, but 3D. The 3D Marios never felt like Mario until 3D Land.

Loved Sunshine though.

andymcc

Banned
It's because the game is challenging, unlike the 3D series.

Errr, the second half of 3D World is WAY harder than almost anything in both Galaxy games. The star road stages on 3D world shames anything on Galaxy in terms of difficulty.

I'd say that the Galaxy games are the easiest 3D Mario games.

I absolutely LOVE Galaxy and 3D World, but was underwhelmed by Galaxy 2 and 3D Land.

I'd say the Galaxy series overall though. Galaxy > 3DW >>> Galaxy 2 >>>>>>> 3DL.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Mario 64 is one of my favourite games of all time, and as much as I loved Galaxy I missed the larger worlds of M64.

I bitch about Nintendo A LOT, particularly about their 2D output, but I'm tempted by the Wii-U for 3D world. Do you guys think I would like it? From what I have seen the stages dont look particularly detailed so I'm not sure.

Wray

3D

The 64/Sunshine/Galaxy series never really felt like Mario to me, even though it was fun. 3D is the natural progression of the 2D series.

Definitely agree with this. Although I would love to try playing the Galaxy games with a regular gamepad someday.

GoodlifeX

I just happened to finish Galaxy 1 for the first time last weekend and have been in the middle of World this week. Thoughts:

Galaxy: Amazing level designs, fun game play, beautiful. I found the upside down controls infuriating at times. Other than that I had no problems. I however don't want to go back and play it again. I blame the purple coin challenges for that. Great to play alone but I wouldn't play it around other people.

3d World: prettiest mario platormer ever. Really fun and I don't mind repeating levels. However, it is way too easy...Ridiculously easy at times. I much prefer playing this other people. 3D world is great for anyone. If someone comes over and wants to play something, it's my first goto.

3bdelilah

Banned
Yeah no, definitely the Galaxy games. Though I haven't played 3D World yet. I did play 3D Land and I liked it a lot as a side dish, and probably 3D World as a side dish as well.

Zalman

I like both, but Galaxy is better. That said, the final level in 3D World is one of the most memorable Mario levels for me ever. There are so many great moments in that game.

Tom_Cody

Galaxy 2 is my favorite among the 4 games, but I do love 3DL/3DW as well though.

I also like 64 and Sunshine and I definitely hope that they do another game with larger environments at some point.

flux1

Galaxy is OK, but 3D Land is my favorite Mario game since Super Mario World. When I get a Wii U 3D World will be one of the first games I purchase for it. So the 3D series for me.

Marceles

I prefer Galaxy, the level design is too awesome and I had more fun with it than 3D, despite it also being a great game. For some reason 3D didn't feel like a long game either, but Galaxy felt satisfying and constantly threw new things in the mix, the closer to the end.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
3D Land/World by far. I'm pretty sure 3D World is my favorite of the 3D Marios. Much more streamlined and lacking all the gimmicky stuff that I didn't like about Galaxy (waggle-based minigames like the manta race, the shaking to attack an enemy or to use a warp star)... Galaxy series also had a lot of filler too and took waaay too long to pick up in difficulty.

Probably the 3D series. It just feels like a meatier platformer. Galaxy is pretty and has a lot more creativity going for it. But 3D World just feels more fun to actually play, for me.

ElDuderino

Galaxy is better overall. Nintendo needs to leave the 3D series on the handheld and do a galaxy/64/sunshine for consoles.

Anth0ny

I'm not a huge fan of cross platform, direct sequels. I didn't want another NSMB on Wii U. I didn't want another Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii U. I didn't want a Super Mario 3D _____ on Wii U.

But god damn it, I want Super Mario Galaxy 3 on Wii U so fucking bad. Just looking at what they did with 3D World compared to 3D Land, EAD Tokyo can do so damn much with the Galaxy concept on the Wii U.

Wildean

I'd rank the games in terms of quality as MG2 the strongest, followed by 3D World, then 3D Land, then MG1.

In an odd way, I think I prefer the 3D series in theory because of the tightly focused Mario 3 style levels, but in practice I recognize that Galaxy 2 is simply the better game.

sntstbn

Neo Member
3D World. (But I've only played Galaxy 1, not Galaxy 2.)

Things that I don't like about Galaxy:

• You punch enemies more than you jump on them. Jumping preserves movement, which is fun. Punching means stopping, which is boring.
  • It has a lot more text prompts (some optional but pretty necessary) and story elements. I understand if others like this, but I don't. I just want to run and jump.
  • The overworld is slow to get around and unintuitive.
  • The visual design is off-putting. The shapes are too capricious for my taste, and colors and textures are a little unpleasant.
  • It has no multiplayer.
  • Controlling Mario backward is a little hard.

tronic307

Galaxy, though the controls are much tighter in 3D World. I'm not sure if I'd want more SM64-style controls in the next main 3D Mario. I like the perspective but the controls need to be updated a bit.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The Galaxy games have the grand spectacle of adventure games whereas the World games thrive as tightly paced action games.

I like both equally and love most platformers in general as long as the controls are good.

LegendX48

Why is this even being asked? Galaxy by far. 3D World was an absolute piece of shit whereas the Galaxy games were sublime, creative, imaginative and fun and that soundtrack, god damn it was glorious!

Peltz

I think the best case scenario would be Galaxy-type spherical worlds, but with coop where one person is on the Gamepad and the other is on the main screen.

That way you can really blend the best of both series together and I'm sure Nintendo could come up with very cool co-op objectives with such a setup. They should make a game that feels almost like Portal 2's multiplayer, where players will need to work together asymmetrically to get through levels.... But also with 3D World's fusion of arcade zaniness and pure linear platforming implemented where ever they'd like within such a structure.

Such a game would end all discussion that the Gamepad is a useless peripheral as well, and unify different gameplay elements in a very satisfying way.

That's just my 2 cents though. If anyone could achieve such an ambitious project, it's the talented people of EAD Tokyo.

pvpness

I dont really see a lot of difference outside of presentation (and multiplayer). I had just as much fun beating the hell out of 3D World as I did Galaxy. I guess the timer adds another layer, but I barely even notice it's there.

If I had to choose one, I guess I would go for 3D World as I like playing with friends.

terrisus

While I wouldn't say the Galaxy games are "bad," they're ahead of only Sunshine as my least-favorite entries in the mainline Mario series.

By comparison, the Mario 3D series is significantly better.

Davey Cakes

I don't know if I'm surprised or not surprised by how divisive 3D World is.

Some say it's better than the Galaxy games.

Some say it's right in line.

And others:

Why is this even being asked? Galaxy by far. 3D World was an absolute piece of shit whereas the Galaxy games were sublime, creative, imaginative and fun and that soundtrack, god damn it was glorious!

Yeeaaahhh.....o_O

Galaxy by far. It was everything I didn't even know I wanted out of a Mario game. I will never forget Luigi's Purple Coins. Not to mention how well they matched up the music with the enviroments in the games and how at times I could time Mario's movements through the worlds with the music. i.e. Melty Molten Galaxy.

Then they did what I assumed was impossible, they made Galaxy 2 better than the first Super Mario Galaxy game. The Galaxy games will always have a place in my top 10.

Yousty

Neo Member
64 > Sunshine > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > 3D Land > 3D World

I would give anything to have another Mario game with the open world style of 64/Sunshine!

mstevens

I know this isn't a very popular opinion, but I just finished Galaxy 1 for the first time (beat the final boss, didn't get all stars) and I think 3D World is a lot better. There were lots of good ideas in the galaxy game, but the controls really hurt my opinion of the game. The nunchuk stick made my movement super awkward (probably user error here) and I never got used to the shake control. As silly as this sounds, if spin had been assigned to a button it would have greatly increased my enjoyment of the games.

On top of all that, 3D world was just more fun for me in general.

andymcc

Banned
I know this isn't a very popular opinion, but I just finished Galaxy 1 for the first time (beat the final boss, didn't get all stars) and I think 3D World is a lot better. There were lots of good ideas in the galaxy game, but the controls really hurt my opinion of the game. The nunchuk stick made my movement super awkward (probably user error here) and I never got used to the shake control. As silly as this sounds, if spin had been assigned to a button it would have greatly increased my enjoyment of the games.

On top of all that, 3D world was just more fun for me in general.

I think 3d World is the best Mario game ever whereas I think Galaxy is just pretty good.

Top Bottom