• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which do you prefer: Super Mario Galaxy series or Super Mario 3D series?

Spinluck

Galaxy easily, love the grand feeling of a platforming adventure. But the obstacle course feel of 3D World is great too. Both series are masterful.

I love them both, and I'm glad they've replaced the 64/Sunshine-style games.
The only substantial difference between the "3D" series and the Galaxy series is their presentation; it's hard for me to prefer one over the other because I don't value presentation over gameplay.

benjammin

Galaxy by a country mile. I enjoyed 3d World, but it really didn't bring anything new to the table other than couch coop (which was AWESOME). Galaxy, on the other hand, was the closest that I've felt to the sense of awe that I got with Mario 64. The worlds and level design were brilliant, and it felt like a brand new experience. 3d World felt like an incredibly refined platformer, but it was a step backwards from Galaxy 1 and 2.

Skilletor

Couldn't care less about any 3D Mario before 3DLand and World came out. Don't like the way most 3D platformers control, Mario games being no exception before World.

stoff

I'd say the Galaxies highs were higher and lows were lower than the 3Ds.
Their Soundtrack was just so good and the setting so imaginitive and charming. But I hated the camera, the shaking and all the sections were you had to point and grab those blue stars. Those weren't fun at all.
I'm still playing though 3D World with a friend and it's amazing. I have no issues with it at all. Just one great idea after another.

So, if I had to choose, I'd prefer the 3D series, because it's mechanics work so well with each other. EAD Tokyo only need to polish the presentation a little next time around.
Just look at MK8 and you see that people are really after that.

Clov

Definitely Mario Galaxy. I still think that Mario Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario they've ever made, and one of the greatest games of all time. It's all around brilliant. Not to say that 3D Land/3D World are bad; they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. 3D Land is pretty fun, and 3D World is straight up great! I just like Galaxy more overall.

Balb

Galaxy the game is better for sure but I think the 3D series has more life left. I thought Galaxy 1 was magical and stood on its own. Galaxy 2 didn't need to exist and didn't give me the same feelings I had when playing the first one.

Galaxy. 3D World was a solid game, but I'd be fine if they never made a sequel to it. In fact, I don't want another Galaxy game either. I just want that play style and mission structure in a different setting.

Sakujou

Banned
I love both. Both are sublime platforming in different ways.

cant compare them, if iam trying to be honest.

nintendo created three different mario platformers over the year.

just realized that and iam pretty shocked.

the galaxy series
the new super mario bros. series
the 3d mario series

i have to say the last one is the easiest from all the listed one. but it the graphics, the music everything feels so awesome.

the galaxy series is just the pinnacle of mario 3d platformers. nintendo showed the big two how you can still kick ass with old hardware. galaxy blew galaxies away.

loved it so much...

Super Mario 64 is my personal favorite 3D Mario due to nostalgic feelings. It blew me away like nothing else when I was 16! But Super Mario Galaxy is almost perfection!

Astral Dog

Galaxy has better presentation, music and feels more fresh, while 3D world is more familiar, i would say that Galaxy has better controls too, 3D world is a great game too, i prefer it at times to Gallaxy 1
So: Galaxy 2 > Galaxy > 3D World >>>>>>>>3D Land

Neo Child

Banned
Never played 3D World fully, but err probably Galaxy for me so far.

The 2 player in Galaxy 2 is so much fun, way better than 1.

Also the levels/mission structure is so good and the atmosphere...

This thread needs more screenshots

Super-Mario-galaxy-2-1080p-Wallpaper-27-WOODEN-WHITTLE-+-HAPPY-TREE-FRIENDS.png

Super-Mario-Galaxy-for-wii.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100505105059466.jpg

smg2-2.jpg

and saving the best for last

tumblr_lym915EWXL1qgvvtno1_500.jpg

that said 3D land is like the perfect portable mario. they nailed what 2D mario would be like on a 3d plane with that game.

Hiz_95

Galaxy by far, they had a much larger sense of scale and creativity despite the hardware differences. They're more memorable to me despite having played 3D World more recently and I'm pretty sure I'll replay the Galaxy games many more times than I'll replay 3D World.

I've played Galaxy 1 + 2 and 3D Land, but not 3D World. Based on this, prefer the Galaxy games hands down. They were just too awesome. I like 3D Land too, but think it got a bit too much praise because 3DS was starved for games.

If I had to choose, 3d World. Game is pretty much perfect. Well, both games are perfect which is funny because having to choose between perfection is ridiculous.

galvatron

Galaxy is better, but messing around in multi-player in 3-d world is fun, too. Not really a fan of the locked isometric camera in 3-d world, though. If they'd just make the 2-d sections plain 2-d and 3-d with a fully adjustable camera it would be a much closer contest.

Like em both for different reasons. 3D World if like what I imagine 3D mario to play like when I was a kid. Gotta play more to be sure which I prefer but the only thing about 3D World I really don't like is how slow the characters top run speed is. That's literally it.

Shizzlee

Since Sunshine/64 isn't a part of the title, I'll go with Super Mario 3D. Galaxy 1 puts me to sleep. Galaxy 2, while much better than Galaxy 1, still isn't better that 3D Land or World to me.

Not

Banned
Galaxy. It interests me more than going sideways and jumping on heads

EDIT: oops, haven't played 3D world. I assumed you were comparing it to NSMB, and didn't read the whole title. wow, whoops

rex

I'm surprised people don't see the obvious Mario 64 influences in Galaxy, particularly the first SMG. It's basically Mario 64 with a different level design.

Anytime you're running away from bullet bills, guiding chain chomps, butt stomping puzzle pieces into place, collecting five star pieces, hitting a switch here to make something happen there, you're doing Mario 64 type things. Anytime you run and jump around on a small planet that you can't fall off from just for fun, or slingshotting yourself around one for the same reason, you're mimicking some of the best parts of Mario 64. Is it pointless? Yes. Is it fun? Yes!

The new emphasis on bosses as part of the regular stages introduced in Mario 64 continued into Mario Galaxy and culminated in some truly awesome designs in SMG2. Even the suits in the Galaxy games work the same way they do in 64. In 3D Land, most suits help you survive a level. In 64 and Galaxy, they are the level. Particular stars require certain suits to advance, and the level design is built around their use.

Mario 64, even in it's regular stages, has much more platforming than Sunshine, and especially Banjo Kazooie. The rapid switches from exploring a level to passing designed obstacles and back to exploring is something that was introduced in Mario 64 and continued brilliantly in Galaxy. They just fine tuned it and tilted the balance towards more platforming, less exploration. I think Galaxy has more in common with 64 than Sunshine does.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Galaxy is in a world of its own. Even the 3D World development team tried to cram as much Galaxy stuff into 3D World as they could.

They do very different things, and succeed on very different fronts.

3D World focuses less on the presentation, and more on the mathematical design of the levels. Some of the later levels actually boggled my mind with the sheer genius of the layout of the obstacles. You'll have multiple challenges, pitfalls and traps laid out in ways that are incredibly intricate and that follow really clever mechanical ideas. Swinging pendulums, moving platforms, rolling spikes and enemy patterns that all work together to create a cohesive sense of challenge that comes from multiple fronts. It's like watching an incredibly clever bit of clockwork, where the different gears all move together to create a singular mechanism.

Galaxy, I feel, is less mathematical and precise in its layout, but more leftfield in its ideas and overt in its production values. I don't think there's any level with the sheer perfection of obstacle design that Champion's Road has, but the game perhaps has a better sense of identity.

I do think if there's any one area 3D World is underrated, it's the inclusion of local same-screen multiplayer in a 3D platformer. This is something that developers have been struggling with for years, and EAD Tokyo made it look effortless. While the multiplayer is chaotic, it's also an absolute ton of fun, and me and my flatmate love blasting through a bunch of levels together at a time.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I'd say both games embody different aspects of the Marioverse. The Galaxy games are whimsical, imaginative - the stages feel like dreamscapes. The orchestrated music is just perfect for the setting, since everything is huge in scale. It feels epic (well, as epic as Mario can be at least) and while you're playing you know you're playing something special.

Super Mario 3D World, on the other hand, is the best 3D incarnation I've played of a classic 2D platformer. It's a bit too easy sometimes, but it's never trivial - and at its hardest, it's never unfair. It's fun, in my opinion way funnier than SMG. And it's beautiful, even though it's less ambitious. It does feel a bit like a home version of Super Mario 3D Land, but it's not really a bad thing.

I hope we can get a Mario Galaxy 3 some day, but I do hope a Super Mario 3D World 2 too. And a Super Mario 3D Land 2 while we're at it. All three are excellent games.

3D World is an excellent game that I really like. Mario Galaxy is better though and probably one of my favourite games of all time. It and its sequel are just so good.

3D series for me. Maybe it's nostalgia for so much throwback. Galaxy series were masterpieces, but the controls never really felt super tight with the remote/nunchuck combo. Definitely a lot of creativity with Galaxy, but 3D series made me feel like a kid again.
Couldn't say more than that, so I'll quote it.

trixx

Between those two galaxy. But i love the multiplayer in SM3DW

But i'd go with 64/sunshine. Level design is not as strong especially for Sunshine, but the movement/moveset of mario is unmatched. Which is themain reason why those games are fun to play

DryvBy

Galaxy. And not because I like the atmosphere more. It's because the game is challenging, unlike the 3D series.

Galaxy, especially 2. The level of both variety and quality to its gameplay is astonishing...I'm dying to play a Galaxy game in HD.

I also enjoyed SM3DL and SM3DW alot, but we need another Galaxy game urgently!

Top Bottom