• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which do you prefer: Super Mario Galaxy series or Super Mario 3D series?

Jtrizzy

What I'd love to see is a 1080p60 remaster for Wiiu that gets rid of the motion controls. The aspect ratio and resolution is so poor. I played a fair amount of both games on Dolphin as well, where they can truly shine. I'm just not up for fucking around with emulators anymore tbh. DKCTF, MK8, and 3D world are all great games and incredibly sound technically. Despite the 720p, they all still look great on the plasma...not so much with the Galaxy games.

I actually went to the extreme of remapping the pointer control to the right stick on the 360 pc controller, and taping it up so that the star collecting shit was off the screen.

MBR

Banned
Galaxy games by far.

3D Land was fun, since it fits the 3DS so good. 3D World made it seem like the series is their new New Super Mario Bros thing, things look too generic. It was okay multiplayer fun for a few levels, but in single player it gets fucking tiresome to look at the same 10 textures the entire game.

I can't wait until a real (Full fledged?) 3D Mario comes out for the Wii U.

hahahaha what

Every Mario game has different controls whether subtle or more noticeable, none of them have bad or clunky controls to me.

I think people exaggerate with their word usage for something they just aren't used to.

I even got used to Super Mario Land 2's controls and out of every Mario game I played, they were the strangest.

I love both. Both are sublime platforming in different ways.

Here we go

Though if I'd have to rank each "series" games, SMG2 > SM3DW > SMG1 > SM3DL

Like 'em for very different reasons, and that's why I'm glad both exist. Not a fan of repeating more of the same without good breathing room.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i'm torn gaf,

I got a wii u recently and have been holding off on getting marios as I wanted to work my way through kart,pikmin and DKC. Almost done with 2 and didn't really enjoy DKC that much, so now I'm looking to mario.

Never played galaxy 2 at all and loved galaxy to pieces. what should I get first? I guess NSMBU is on the list as well. thinking of starting with that as it's probably the 'worst'

Aesnath

It's tough--both are great. I'd actually probably say Galaxy is better at this point. However, I feel like that has to do with Ninty having refined the formula over several iterations into a more action-oriented 64 type game.

On the other hand, the 3D series of games is pretty new and I feel like there is untapped potential in that way. I feel like this will be a better comparison following new 3D titles.

A big silly hubworld for my "running in circles and exploring" fix with actual levels like 3d world's and galaxy's harder ones would be my personal dream 3d mario. Champion's road is one of the most fun levels I've ever played in any game, but there were still plenty of fun ones in the later parts of the game that were less sadistic.

The fact that people say galaxy is more similar to sunshine and 64 than 3d world is a case study in the importance of presentation. Gameplay wise, the galaxy games were way closer to 3d world. The space theme is just fundamentally cooler than 3d world's aesthetic so people think of it differently. Aesthetics are definitely a thing that galaxy wins hands-down. Too many 3d world levels were aesthetically unremarkable. I hope the next 3d mario has a coherent theme behind it instead of just doing the mushroom kingdom fundamentals again.

Galaxy, but the "3D" series is pretty damn good as well. if they added the multiplayer that was in 3D World to a Galaxy game; 10/10.
Most levels in Galaxy literally would not work with 3D World's multiplayer without adding splitscreen. There's a reason why there is no level in 3D World that allows you to walk around any large 3D structure all at once--only one or two sides at a time. Relatively simple Galaxy stages like Buoy Base would be impossible with 3D World's same screen multiplayer. Heck, any stage that had a 3D planetoid that you can walk all around would be impossible save for the really small ones.

The fact that people say galaxy is more similar to sunshine and 64 than 3d world is a case study in the importance of presentation. Gameplay wise, the galaxy games were way closer to 3d world.
The controls and movesets of the Galaxy games are far closer to Sunshine and 64 than to the 3D subseries.

Can't do it. They are all so damn fantastic. What I can say is that I prefer Galaxy over Galaxy 2. The overworld of the first is so freaking good and Mario head ship in 2 is meh. Level design is perfect in both.

Tucah

you speak so well
Galaxy, no question. 3D World is a fantastic platformer (and the game I bought a Wii U for) but Galaxy/G2 are two of the finest games of the generation.

See that's what awesome sounds like. Not quite as epic or pure as happy, but as I said still damn good.

Thinking about it since 3D World did tackle Gusty Garden they really should've gone all in with the big band style for the remix instead of seemingly meeting grand orchestration halfway, the hybrid style woes strike again for 3D series.

But yes, 3D World and especially 3D Land lack new music that matches up to either Galaxy game's best.

Raptomex

Mario Galaxy. The 3D series is great. But when 3D World came out I was disappointed it wasn't a new kind of 3D mario game. I still want a sequel to Mario 64 or Mario 64 in HD.

Galaxy by far.

3D Land/World are a great and fun mix between 2D and 3D platformers. The Galaxy games are truly masterpieces that simply transcend their genre.

3D World is so incredible...

...but Galaxy was the same shock and awe as playing Mario 64 for the first time.

Galaxy HD would be a nice appetizer before the next big Mario adventure that changes what those games/platforming in general can do.

Lernaean

Banned
Galaxy 2 > 3D World > Galaxy > 3D Land.

Both are great series and as products it is impossible to say one is better than the other, because they all are near perfect, so it comes to different styles and personal opinions.

Galaxy is grander and less focused while 3D is tighter.

Minions

I'm a galaxy fan. It is much more in line with Mario 64 which was stunning when the 64 came out. It caught me in the same way on the Wii when it came out. I hope a new one comes out on the Wii U (I'm looking at you Nintendo!)

KooopaKid

Banned
The Galaxy series by far. While very good, the 3D series don't have the same sense of adventure, wonder and excitement. I hope Nintendo hasn't forgotten that the Mario series is not only platforming games but action-adventure games too. SMB3 and SMW are both big adventures.

Sora_N

3D Series for me, I couldn't get into Galaxy but really enjoyed 3D Land and 3D World is one of the games I'll pick up when I get a WiiU in the future.

I tried some of Galaxy and was surprised to find that I had some trouble getting into it. It looks like I prefer the focus and purity of the 3D games over Galaxy's mostly-platforming-but-with-some-puzzleish-things-and-boy-this-Wiimote-is-still-kinda-annoying-and-doesn't-this-sort-of-look-a-bit-open-world-but-it's-really-really-not?

Plus, multiplayer in a 3D platformer is an amazing feature, and very hard to design for, and 3D World never gets any credit for it. How many multiplayer 3D platformers can you name? How many great multiplayer 3D platformers?

Besides,
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
> All.

Both are great, but Galaxy with the Rosalina backstory gets the edge. :d

The multiplayer in 3D World makes the choice difficult haha. Galaxy is a more fulfilling single player experience I'd say...

Davey Cakes

I prefer the Galaxy titles. Fresher and more ingenious experiences in general. Really gave Mario a needed boost after his...troubles during the GCN era.

That said, Mario 3D Land was a fun handheld distraction and Super Mario 3D World is fantastic in its own right. I really wish I played more of 3D World in multiplayer; it's a lot of fun even if it can be a bit hectic. I need to try to convince my friends to play again. A full playthrough of the entire game with 2-3 others would be so great and would add to the replay value tremendously.

I guess the "3D series" plays it a bit safe in some regards but they're still top-tier in a pretty much dead genre. Mario might not be in space but the levels are still really well designed and fun to traverse. The soundtrack is fantastic too, above 3D Land but maybe not up there with the Galaxies.

Also cat suit > bee suit and Tanooki suit.

What really bothers me about 3D World (not really 3D Land) is that some it's themes for it's levels are really awesome, but the game doesn't build on them the way Galaxy, Sunshine, or 64 (to a lesser extent) would. I'd honestly love to see something like Hands on Hall return in a more 3D focused game in the future.

eXistor

I think 3D World is the best of the 4 games, but 3D Land is the relative worst.

It's 3D World>Galaxy 1>Galaxy 2>>>3D Land for me. 3D Land is great fun and all, but not a classic like the other 3 are.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think 3D World is the best of the 4 games, but 3D is the relative worst.

It's 3D World>Galaxy 1>Galaxy 2>>>3D Land for me. 3D Land is great fun and all, but not a classic like the other 3 are.

I can get behind this. 3D Land was a game I liked but really the best thing about it was just that it introduced the concept of 2D mario gameplay in to 3D. The Galaxy games were better than 3D Land. It wasn't super fantasic but it paved the way for 3D World.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I need both in my life. I think the original Galaxy is the best, followed by 3D World, then Galaxy 2 and last 3D Land - so the series are pretty even and different enough to both be worthwhile imo.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Garakkucee. Camera work makes all the difference and I play mario solo.

Thought 3D world was mighty fine. Mighty fine indeed. I could see how someone who has siblings would prefer playing it because of the co-op.

CDX

Galaxy by a mile.

The 3D Land / 3D World style games are fun, but they aren't on the Galaxy series level IMO. I still would've liked a more difficult NSLU style DLC for 3D World though.

I really hope we get more of the Galaxy series though. Either Galaxy 3 on the Wii U or Galaxy 3D on the 3DS.

Galaxy trumps 3D World in presentation, but I really think that 3D World is a much more fun game, especially in multiplayer. I beat it beginning to end with 4 players, and I can honestly say that may have been some of the most fun I've had playing any video game, period. The levels are challenging, controls are perfect (As Mario, at least), music is incredible, and it perfectly captures that classic Mario feel, but in 3D. I love 3D World. Land was pretty unremarkable, honestly, but World is a great game.

Top Bottom