• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a better choice: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

After this latest E3 showing, I am certainly interested in both Playstation VR and Nintendo Switch. However, I don't feel as if I know enough to decide between the two, and I certainly can't afford both. Currently, I have a standard PS4, and the VR games look very interesting. However, I don't want to spend $500 on a VR setup that very well could be replaced by a PSVR 2 within a year or two. The Nintendo Switch games also seem to be interesting to me, especially the new Mario game. Some of the durability issues have me worried. I don't want to buy an expensive device which can be so easily destroyed by the shroud that the company provides.

So far, I have just given some of my impressions, but my questions are thus:
For PSVR, do I need to buy the PS4 Pro to enjoy the games? Also, will it become obsolete in short order? Am I better off to wait for the inevitable PSVR2? Is using PSVR worth the $500 price, or are the games not there to justify the hardware, unless you're an extreme VR lover?

For the Switch: Is the hardware prone to being easily damaged? Are the Switch games going to be so spectacular that I should invest in the system, instead of just adding on a VR setup? Naturally, it's an easier sell to just buy an add on to the PS4, even if the cost is greater initially. Obviously, once you factor in the controllers and accoutrements, the prices will start to get closer.

Overall, I feel a bit confused with regards to the sales pitches for these new systems, Xbox One X included. I love all of the game trailers, particularly for games like God of War or Super Mario. But I'm still not sure of what benefits the new hardware provides.

Any help that you can give me to help clarify these issues is most appreciated.

CEJames

Is there even a chance for this thread to go well?

Edit: But to start off with some level headed advice. PSVR has plenty of variety in its titles. Not ALL are short experiences like Gaf loves to project. However, some can be a bit overpriced so I've always shopped around on ebay/amazon for a cheaper copy.
PSVR 2 won't come for a while and Sony has just started ramping up advertisement for this version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvNw7U6kec
It's advised to get the Pro for PSVR for better clarity overall.

With really great games like SuperHot, Ace Combat 7, Gran Turismo Sport, Arizona Sunshine, DoomVR, Skyrim VR coming out, and some that are already out(If you want specifics, I'd love to suggest some), PSVR looks more promising than it did months ago.

Took this very well written post from another VR thread.

Bit of a long post, sorry. tl;dr: less negative take on E3 and more so the future of VR than OP and some posters.

Thread might have been well-intentioned, but hardly surprising to see it being used as a stick to beat VR with once again by a certain segment who will lilkely never accept or be convinced by the medium. Oh well! People clearly saw what they wanted to see at E3 in terms of VR. Anyone with more than a passing interest and watched more than a handful of pressers got to see masses of new VR content on the horizon.

Bethesda -- Ports and adaptations of older games, yes. But damn those are big games and given the install base for VR I'm very happy to see these. They're taking what they have/know and working back from there to re-engineer these titles, so the investment required is minimal in the grand scheme. OK, some will jeer and moan, but the reality is it could easily allow the next instalments of these and similar titles to come VR-ready out of the box. So that's big news IMO.

Ubisoft -- Transference looks interesting stuff, it's good they're demonstrating a desire to explore the further reaches of what VR can bring, not limited to just straight-up games. Can see why the appeal might not be there for anyone who isn't already invested in VR though. UBI have done more than most with simple stuff like Rabbids on daydream, a personal favourite Eagle Flight showing thrilling fast movement doesn't have to cause nausea on to Star Trek and Wolves multiplayer titles that Space Junkies will add to - they're not scaling back IMO, they're fully on board with VR, especially interested in VR as a multiplayer experience. Hope it continues when Vivendi swallows them up.

Sony -- Thought that, as with your post on the whole OP, this was a bit of a negative take. They showed a lot of weighty titles in the presser, really good stuff in the pre-show and there was more in the following week to fill in the details and add to what we know about other titles. Loud Ninja's list speaks volumes regarding what we've seen over the past weeks - I imagine most people in this thread speaking negatively didn't witness even half of those and wouldn't go out of their way to research them now as it'd interfere with their comfortable current opinion. Also, anyone never having experienced true VR would have difficulty seeing those clips and realising just how good some of them look to be.*asciishrug*

Microsoft -- OK, I'm not convinced anything is going to happen on this front until the next console generation, it hardly seems worth exploring a niche area of gaming on a console that is likely to remain low on install base as a small subset of the overall xb1 install. I think that's why we saw the Oculus exclusive title reworked for regular TV play, it was likely a done deal that needed to be reworked as they backed down from VR/AR plans (just my take, no evidence whatsoever). They should continue their engineering efforts in mixed reality, but have to focus on 1st party traditional games going forward 'cause the fans aren't going to accept seeing masses of effort thrown into AR/VR when 1st party isn't where it needs to be.

PS.VR is obviously the biggest seller so far, but all these companies are effectively working together to bring on the medium, they're not fierce rivals in the traditional sense during this phase. Sony are in the best position to break VR currently as consoles are an accepted livingroom device, but their offering is way too complex cabling-wise and in terms of setting up acceptable tracking, and has suffered with production/supply issues leading to not beening able to be marketed accordingly - or we could say it's managed to reach a potential audience without much in the way of required marketing effort, and we're told that's about to change. Have to wait and see how that works out, but in these early years I'm sure they're happy ticking over like this and learning what works and what doesn't. PS.VR is not a device they expect to go mainstream.

That we're little over half a year in on console side and we have the likes of Farpoint showing where peripherals like Aim can heighten the experience immeasurably (the game is fairly standard stuff without it, the experience with is next level stuff), RE7 showing a game doesn't have to be designed from the ground up to be VR-friendly and VR experiences don't have to limit themselves to 20 minute bursts, as with the upcoming Bethesda titles - not seeing much to worry about on that front. But I was never going to be a worrier, I bought in because I can afford to and because I want to experience the journey VR takes from as close to day #1 as it's possible (wish I could have been there for Oculus revisions then Vive). Some people have such a binary view though, I might game exclusively on it for a few days and for the rest of the month it sits there doing nothing, it's not like we're stuck with the HMDs on 24/7 and limited to only VR titles in isolation.

Some love to dismiss VR as a motion-control-like-fad or a 3D-like-fad, but the fact is it takes both those fads, multiplies their effectiveness together, negates many of their limitations and realises more of their true potential as it adds in its own magic: presence. You don't get to experience any of this by sticking your phone to your face, it's sad to see people write off the medium after doing so. Current hardware is far from perfect on any platform, but we're in the Atari 2600 era of VR (90s Vitruality and Virtual Boy didn't count). In a few years we'll be taking leaps to the NES and SNES iterations when we drop the cables and employ techniques such as foveated rendering. When the PlayStation, Dreamcast and Xbox of VR come, maybe a decade from now, that's when VR will be accepted and adopted on a grander scale. But this will happen, VR isn't getting dropped as a fad as it's real potential is far from explored.

So yea, I understand people saying the tech isn't there and it's not ready for the mass consumer - in the console space especially. But damn that doesn't mean it's any less incredible and truly impressive for many of those invested right now, and without this phase none of what comes later is possible. So you guys sat on the fence and not being convinced, years from now you can thank us enthusiasts who are all in and throwing our money not at the TV, but randomly into the virtual space extending before us (seriously, I've spent a lot on VR software!).

Sony has shown us VR can be social. UBI is showing us VR is multiplayer-friendly and can crossplay between not only manufacturer platforms but also beyond gaming ecosystems. Bethesda and Capcom are proving that some traditional games can be adapted for more immersion and future games could come with it built in day 1. And away from the massive corporations, small dev teams are doing exciting and amazing things by pioneering advances in gaming and storytelling. To shrug that off seems... blinkered.

So E3 wasn't ever going to be a time or place to convince non-believers, but what it offered was more than many realised and with VR being notoriously difficult to convey, maybe the annual press conf megashows wasn't really where we should have looked for it. That might change years from now as technologies and VR development evolves, maybe strapping a phone to the face will allow people to demo a little of the look and feel of VR titles more directly.

E3 has much to offer, VR is a tiny subset of it and needed some legwork to uncover, but as a whole, what VR has in store now vs what we knew a month ago can objectively be seen positively.

As an owner of both, I'd go for a Switch over a PSVR. The software support is going to be stronger and more frequent. You'll get better value out of it.

Cerium

For the Switch: Is the hardware prone to being easily damaged?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8QCFNAgPDo

Are the Switch games going to be so spectacular that I should invest in the system, instead of just adding on a VR setup?
They're pretty damn good.

But I'm still not sure of what benefits the new hardware provides.
It's pretty simple; it brings a full fat console experience into a portable form factor with the software to back it up and no compromises.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
At the end its all about the content.

How many VR experiences are you gonna play/looking forward to compared to the Switch games ? I would go for the Switch because of the strong first party output and because PS4xSwitch in general will let you play much more content.

If you have to ask about getting a VR you are not hundred percent on board and this is expensive enthusiast device - so even if you dont get a Switch i dont think you are ready for VR yet either. All things considered we are still quite early in terms of mayor VR development - might be better to wait for future revisions and more content to be available.
PlayStation Vs Nintnedo.

...Let me grab my popcorn
Is there even a chance for this thread to go well?

Guys....this really isnt helping alot.

sinonobu

Banned
I own both PS VR and Switch and I'll say Switch.

There's really no 'essential games' on PS VR, and Switch is cheaper.

Switch is cheaper and has more compelling software for it. Unless the idea of VR really appeals to you, I say get a Switch. Maybe try to find a place you can demo PSVR in person first? If it blows you away you might decide PSVR is worth it. I know that when I tried it, I found it cool but not worth investing that much money into, whereas Switch was a no brainer for me.

It depends on whether or not you're into VR experiences or portable novelty. Personally I feel like you'll get a lot more mundane use out of a Switch and its catalogue than taking time out with a VR setup that you can only really experience once to get the gist of it. That said PSVR has its own mundane uses, I can't imagine a better way to watch 3D movies with it in cinema mode,

In the end it's really what you want in the catalogue. If you're into the Nintendo offerings and think that their future lies in bringing their franchises all in the switch eventually, do it. If you want to have immersive experience and know that VR is still units infancy and still has to prove itself as a quality venue for games, you can put your money on that.

fernoca

Ehr...well, I'll bite. The hardware are completely opposite.

I own both.
PSVR is a great experience, especially when you get other people to try it out and see their reaction.

Switch is a great portal/console hybrid that offers great games to play on your own, and also to play with others.

So...I don't know. Is not like if you buy one first you can't buy the other one down the road.

This could be be Nintendo vs VR in general and the answer would still be in Nintendo's favor. Simply put, VR is not worth it right now. It's full of awesome tech demos, but I've yet to play anything actually good on it outside of SuperHot.

Laieon

Switch, easily. I have almost no interest in VR though, so that's an easy choice for me to make.

For the Switch: Is the hardware prone to being easily damaged? Are the Switch games going to be so spectacular that I should invest in the system, instead of just adding on a VR setup? Naturally, it's an easier sell to just buy an add on to the PS4, even if the cost is greater initially. Obviously, once you factor in the controllers and accoutrements, the prices will start to get closer.

Like most Nintendo systems, the switch is a tank.

You're getting two very different experiences here..

PSVR is the most niche of the two, as you're looking for that immersive experience, though I think its meant for more shorter bursts of gameplay.

Switch is notable for playing games on the go and on tv.

Obviously games for each system are very different. Go with the system with the most attractive games.

Backlogger

I haven't tried the Switch but I have tried the PSVR and I'd go with the Switch all day. PSVR got boring after a day of playing with it.

Marceles

Switch without question if you want a solid console

If you're into watching movies, PSVR is pretty cool since you can watch 3D blurays on it and gives you a virtual theater size screen. PS4 Pro I believe increases the picture quality in each eye, so that'll be even more money if you want that. I haven't used PSVR for gaming in awhile due to getting VR sick, but some titles are solid.

I do like my PSVR,but in all honesty I'd go for a Switch,my VR just doesn't get much use and even when it does its in short bursts...Switch on the other hand is fantastic

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah you are better off waiting for PSVR 2, right now it's a waste of money. For $400, you can get the Switch and a bunch of games.

seady

Of course the Switch.

I have both and I barely play the VR except for RE7 and during friends come over.

The Switch is a proper console with new experience and many games coming.

OddSockZA

I own both, and neither is getting as much use as I'd like - but I see that changing for one of the systems. Obviously, that'll be the Switch - with Splatoon and Mario on the way, I definitely see the Switch getting love.

Half the fun with PSVR, for me anyway, is showing it to other people, especially those who aren't traditionally gamers. Their reactions make owning the PSVR worth it, but it's a bit of a one-and-done situation. I do feel that PSVR isn't as mature as it should be, and a future replacement that doesn't rely on light tracking will enable better experiences.

Do try PSVR somewhere first to find out if you get sick. Would be a downer to buy one only to have to resell it the next week.

Piggus

I can't really speak for PSVR, but I can say that I preordered a Switch instead of a PSVR since Sony was awful at keeping the PSVR in stock. So I'll try to answer your questions based on that.

- The Switch seems pretty sturdy, but I would recommend a glass screen protector since the screen is prone to scratches.

- Invest in a Pro controller. Seriously, it's worth it.

-Zelda and Mario Kart 8 are already two spectacular games that make the system worth it imo, and Super Mario Odysee looks fantastic. I'm traditionally more into PlayStation and PC games and never really had much of an interest in Zelda, but it's one of the best games I've played in years.

-VR can make you sick, but most people get used to it with practice. I had an original Oculus Rift devkit and created terrible motion sickness, but I did get used to it somewhat. The newer systems are muuuuch better since hey have motion tracking. So if you try it and feel sick at first don't let that put you off. It's probably something you can overcome.

-In general, the PS4 Pro and BoneX are meant to run PS4 and Bone games at higher resolution to take advantage of 4K TVs and/or provide better image quality and effects. As a PC gamer, the PS4 Pro is great in that regard. It makes the exclusives look more in line (at least in terms of image quality) with what I generally play on PC. Xbox doesn't have any true exclusives with BoneX support as far as I know, so it's not for me. I can play whatever it runs at double the framerate.

-The PS4 Pro apparently provides some benefits when combined with PSVR (namely downsampling for better image quality), but I don't think it's a big enough difference to justify the cost. I haven't tried and compared them though, so others might feel differently.

Jimrpg

As someone who wants both VR and a Switch. I'd still go Switch first. But honestly if you're already happy with the PS4, I'd probably just hold off on both. Are you running out of games to play? If the PS4 has plenty already then you shouldn't really need either.

jackal27

Banned
Listen to me.

I own a PS4 and Switch. I love them both very much.

But a full-on console vs. a Sony peripheral? I'm going to go with the Switch any day friend. Not only does Sony have an awful history with supporting peripherals long-term, I have doubts about VR overall. Meanwhile, the Switch has been the most exciting console I've bought in many years. Lots of cool possibilities.

Kthulhu

Switch. Wait for the eventual PSVR 2. VR is still finding it's legs, while the Switch is pretty much guaranteed to give you quality titles for years.

VR is forcing developers to learn how to design games in new ways, forcing them to be experimental. Not to mention their are less than a million PSVRs in the wild. Those two things are probably gonna result in a very small and mediocre library for first gen VR. Future VR hardware will most likely solve a lot of the issues with current VR hardware and software.

TL;DR: VR ain't worth it for the vast majority of people. Buy a Switch instead.

I mean would I rather play skryim or skyrim?

lol

Vita would have made more sense to compare, but even then...

VR isn't worth investing in yet. It will only improve over time, get cheaper, and get a better library of games.

The Switch isn't going to be replaced anywhere near as quickly as a VR device, and when it is, the Switch will still be relevant because its successor will likely not be backwards compatible or potentially even portable.

Animagne

Nintendo is killing it with 1st year lineup. I have wanted a PS VR for a while, but so far only resident evil seems like a real game rather than an experience.

That Skyrim though.

A lot of people are talking about immersion but another thing to consider is, how do you play games?

PS4/PSVR can only support one headset per system, so if you want to play any kind of multiplayer, you'll have to do it online.

Switch is ready for multiplayer literally out of the box and it already has a metrick shitload of coop and multiplayer games for it. You can play wherever you want with whoever you want.

I really want a PSVR myself, but experience-wise, keep in mind that one choice has you mostly playing alone online and the other has you playing with anyone, anywhere.

Also, this isn't gaming related, but apparently the PSVR has some kind of theater mode for watching movies? Which honestly, is almost something I want more than the games. I have so many goddamn 3D BluRay movies that I'll probably never get to use but having a personal theater with PSVR sounds fucking awesome. If only more than one person could experience it at once, though, so my girlfriend and I could watch movies in VR together ):

The Switch isn't going to be replaced anywhere near as quickly as a VR device, and when it is, the Switch will still be relevant because its successor will likely not be backwards compatible or potentially even portable.
This is like the exact opposite of why and how they designed the Switch to be the Switch. The deal with Nvidia is for something like 20 years. Switch 2 will almost unquestionably be backwards compatible. The entire point of making it the way they did was do unify everything to one platform like iOS. Like honestly I imagine a Switch 2 would be able to slide into the same pair of JoyCons and same Dock we have right now. It'll just have beefier innards. And they might make a console-only Switch and a portable-only Switch, but they'll all play the same games.

Swass

I'm mostly a PlayStation guy, though I own all consoles, and I would go Switch on this choice. I think Sony is going to lose interest in the PSVR within the next year or 2 while Nintendo will likely be supporting the Switch for a decade. I'm personally waiting for the first Switch hardware revision before I jump in though.

SuperJay

I was facing this exact decision and went with PSVR. I think I made the right decision.

Nintendo isn't offering anything on switch that interests me until Mario at the end of this year. I'm guessing I'll pick up a switch sometime next year, hopefully after a price drop.

In the meantime, my mind has been blown by Thumper, Batman VR, Resident Evil 7 and Farpoint. I'm sure PSVR won't see mass adoption, but it's the most fun with a peripheral I've ever had. And Doom VFR and Skyrim are coming later this year!

Tailzo

I had a playstation VR until recently. I have a Nintendo Switch. I loved my playstation VR. Playing games in VR, felt a lot more refreshing than playing Switch games on the TV or portable. (Because I have most consoles / handhelds, and I am used to my Vita N3DS.)

That being said, I sold the PSVR because of something you do not mention; being a father. I don't know about your family situation. But if you have a family, or plan to have one, the idea of putting on a VR helmet when you should be there for your kids any time, just doesn't work. Early on I made a rule to only play VR when my daughter was sleeping or not home.

And well, a 3 year old starts to sleep a lot less than an infant. So 2 weeks could pass without me touching the ps vr. Picking up a switch, to play for 15 minutes on the bus however, gives me a lot of gaming time.

I'm sorry if this is irrelevant to you, just thought I should mention it.

D23

More games to play on the Psvr right now, but if you want portability go with the switch.

I have both and I enjoyed them both equally.

Magwik

Banned
Here's your best option:
Wait until the fall when both have more software and pick the one that appeals to you the most.

If you aren't excited about the Switch currently there's no reason to go out of your way for one.

oti

Banned
PS VR is a product using very young tech that will see many iterations before it becomes a mass market item. What that means is that there may well be a PS VR 2 as soon as next year and that VR games are few and far between.

Switch is just a tablet with buttons by Nintendo.

Go for Switch.

Reallink

Surprisingly this is actually a really good question as they're both supplementary systems with similarly sporadic releases. Thinking about it, I've been pretty equal in dropping them both for weeks on end and just picking them back up for notable releases.

do you want overpriced experiences of games you already own with a few exclusives or well the same thing with overpriced accessories?

Tagyhag

I'd say the Switch.

It's not only cheaper, but you mention your hesitation for PSVR because you're afraid that an upgraded model will come out in 1-2 years.

Truth is, we don't know if it will, but if you're worried about that timeframe it means that you can wait.

PSVR is already outdated tech compared to the other 2 high-end, if there's nothing new in 2 years, it's going to look even worse.

I'd bet good money that the Switch isn't getting an iteration in 2 years.

I don't own either but I'd go with the Switch without a doubt. I'll buy one in a few months.
I've played Zelda on Wii U, I doubt PSVR will ever have a game that is half as good as that. And then there's Mario, Metroid, Splatoon, Arms, Fire Emblem, etc.
It's not even a competition, honestly.

CronoShot

I would say Switch, unless you really want to get into VR.

VR as a platform is still undercooked, but it will continue to grow and evolve. I would wait until PSVR gen 2, personally.

Top Bottom