• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a better choice: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

KOHIPEET

VR being something new isn't really a Plus but rather a Minus in this case.

PS VR is for the tech avant-garde, Switch is a fleshed-out product.

Even though it's in its early stages, some of the experiences I had with it (Mostly farpoint) are just something else. It's an entirely new form of playing.

panda-zebra

PS.VR for the better 3rd party support
/s... maybe

Seriously though, you can't ask GAF to help you out on this one OP, there's far too many variables and personal feels to affect such an apples vs avocados decision.

Will say this - there's way more chance of a Switch revision than a PS.VR one in the next 3-4 years. Nintendo always iterates on hardware and PS.VR as it is will last out the ps4 generation (it's the ps4 itself that limits PS.VR as better Pro game experiences prove).

I mean would I rather play skryim or skyrim?

This thread didn't let me down.

PSVR hardware too weak even with PS4 Pro, low res screen door affect, refresh needs to be much higher and major graphic downgrade when using it. Maybe, it will be good in 10-20 years

Both objectively not true. PS.VR has less SDE vs other headsets thanks to the OLED's RGB sub-pixel density vs pentile. PS.VR games are minimum 90fps native or 120fps reprojected.

KOHIPEET

No contest: Switch

PSVR hardware too weak even with PS4 Pro, low res screen door affect, refresh needs to be much higher and major graphic downgrade when using it. Maybe, it will be good in 10-20 years

Yeah right... Especially about screen door effect which is probably the only parameter where PSVR can rival more expensive headset due to its subpixel arrangement.

knitoe

Yeah right... Especially about screen door effect which is probably the only parameter where PSVR can rival more expensive headset due to its subpixel arrangement.

Maybe, it's something else, but I can easily see individual pixels since it's right on your face. To me, it's like looking through a screen door.

Personally, I'd get both.

But they offer completely different experiences, so it really depends on what you want: The ultimate in immersion, or a portable Nintendo console.

oti

Banned
Even though it's in its early stages, some of the experiences I had with it (Mostly farpoint) are just something else. It's an entirely new form of playing.

I'm sure you did and VR is really interesting. PS VR is new, but that experience will get 10000x better in just a couple of years. That's worth the wait in my book.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's true of all sorts of innovations.

Frankly 've currently isn't popular at a and is expensive. There will definitely be cheap we more appealing revisions down the line, one of Whigs may even be popular with the mainstream but right now you'd have to really really rear love the tech to busty the thing because it will be obsolete quick fast.

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. To elaborate a bit more about myself and my game habits, I live with my wife, and we have no children. I usually play games offline, in single player. I do enjoy most types of games, but I really like strategy games, shooter games, third person action games, platformers and racing games. For me, Playstation has been my platform of choice since the PS2 days, since most of these categories are met. I recently purchased a new PC so I could play strategy games as well. Last February, we played through Starcraft II, for example. I would really enjoy some of the Playstation racing games in VR, like Gran Turismo. I usually play offline, since I find most online games invite very insulting people, who are all much better at the game than I am. Its not really an aspect of gaming I would like to subject myself to, and the fact that I am charged PSN fees for this wonderful "privilege," feels like insult to injury. I also don't really enjoy portable gaming that much. I have poor vision, so it can be hard for me to focus on the screen. I already have a PSP, but I usually play something like chess on it, for the few times per year that I go to the airport. I do drive to work, so there really isn't a time where I would be both away from home and unoccupied, as to play a portable game. If I purchased a Switch, I would imagine that it would spend 95% of its life hooked up to the TV. I do have some other Nintendo games, but I don't really love Zelda all that much. I played through Ocarina of Time a few years ago on my Gamecube, but I was not all that motivated by the end.

Rezbit

Do you want to wear goggles and headphones and be totally immersed, or do you want something you can play anywhere? Probably boils down to that question really.

I've got a PS4PRO, and plan on getting PSVR before a Switch because the software on the latter isn't there yet for me, but I'd say for most people Switch would be the better choice.

If you're really excited about VR and like the look of the software more than what's currently on Switch though, go for it instead. The Switch isn't going anywhere, and the longer you wait, the lower the price and the more cool special editions will exist for you to choose from.

dyergram

The switch is a awesome little machine with loads of potential but not loads of games yet. It seems to be getting a steady flow of all time classics though in a way that's kind of unprecedented. Psvr has loads of good games and loads of experiential one of a kind experiences it seems to be a real test bed if you haven't tried vr you will definitely be wowed I think you know what your getting more with the switch. I don't know which I prefer or if it's even fair to compare he two tbh.

Jimrpg

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their input. To elaborate a bit more about myself and my game habits, I live with my wife, and we have no children. I usually play games offline, in single player. I do enjoy most types of games, but I really like strategy games, shooter games, third person action games, platformers and racing games. For me, Playstation has been my platform of choice since the PS2 days, since most of these categories are met. I recently purchased a new PC so I could play strategy games as well. Last February, we played through Starcraft II, for example. I would really enjoy some of the Playstation racing games in VR, like Gran Turismo. I usually play offline, since I find most online games invite very insulting people, who are all much better at the game than I am. Its not really an aspect of gaming I would like to subject myself to, and the fact that I am charged PSN fees for this wonderful "privilege," feels like insult to injury. I also don't really enjoy portable gaming that much. I have poor vision, so it can be hard for me to focus on the screen. I already have a PSP, but I usually play something like chess on it, for the few times per year that I go to the airport. I do drive to work, so there really isn't a time where I would be both away from home and unoccupied, as to play a portable game. If I purchased a Switch, I would imagine that it would spend 95% of its life hooked up to the TV. I do have some other Nintendo games, but I don't really love Zelda all that much. I played through Ocarina of Time a few years ago on my Gamecube, but I was not all that motivated by the end.

It really depends on how much time you're going to spend with your new console/VR unit. I assume you have a PS4, PC, is that enough for you? I have a Wii U/PC/PS4/3DS/Vita combo running at the moment, and I would be perfectly happy with just 1 or 2 of the systems. I barely play the 3DS and DS right now and struggling to play PC too.

kyser73

That's true of all sorts of innovations.

Frankly 've currently isn't popular at a and is expensive. There will definitely be cheap we more appealing revisions down the line, one of Whigs may even be popular with the mainstream but right now you'd have to really really rear love the tech to busty the thing because it will be obsolete quick fast.

This post bought to you by Autocorrect(TM) :):)

flozuki

As a owner of both I would recommend the switch. Gaming always is connected with convenience and PSVR doesn't really offer that for me. All these cables, the problem with HDR TVs (if you don't have one scratch that) and the PSVR box... etc. I liked PSVR Worlds, Resident Evil is THE PSVR title in my book (I still finished it without VR since I preferred the other advantages regarding PS4 Pro). It is nothing you just start for short sessions (at least in my situation). Since RE7 I don't really use it anymore and E3 had nothing that convinced me that Sony is bringing any huge titles in the near future. Still I would recommend to test it at least.

Switch is obviously a different concept. You can play it docked or undocked without any problems. Hell, I would have never imagined that I will often play with Joycons unconnected lying on the couch. That kind of free configuration is pretty cool. It has already a good lineup and it seems like a constant flow of high quality titles is save for the upcoming months, Splatoon (if that is your thing) is a pretty unique shooter and right around the corner. That rabbids game looks suprisingly good, Xeno and Odyssey are releasing this year and hopefully titles like stardew valley and Hollow Knight are eshop titles that will release in the third quarter. Despite that you already have some exceptional titles other systems won't have in their whole lifetime (quality wise).

In my book switch is an excellent choice since the games are different to a lot what you get on PS4 so you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Get a Nintendo Switch and wait for gen 2 PSVR. The hardware still needs improvements especially the tracking.

Sounds like you've already made your decision but you want us to convince you otherwise :)
Breath of the Wild isn't all that similar to other Zelda games honestly, aside from maybe the first. And the Switch's library will ridicule the PSVR's in a couple of years but it sounds like the latter will be a better fit for your gaming habits.

Peterc

It's strange to ask such question.

PSVR is a flop. Even worse then wii u.
The amount of games and type of games..
Even if there is an AAA game on it, you will play the game without it.
It's also to expensive.

Yeah VR is nice, but not for games. (maybe hololens would change that?)
If you really want to have a VR , you should buy one for PC.

Yes it's a disaster like Virtual boy was. Vr isn't ready, I still don't understand after the vita disaster, that they thought this is it what people want. MS did a better job in it by choosing for something unique, hololens. Still the price is way to expensive.

Still, the topic should rather be PS4 or Switch.

After this latest E3 showing, I am certainly interested in both Playstation VR and Nintendo Switch. However, I don't feel as if I know enough to decide between the two, and I certainly can't afford both. Currently, I have a standard PS4, and the VR games look very interesting. However, I don't want to spend $500 on a VR setup that very well could be replaced by a PSVR 2 within a year or two. The Nintendo Switch games also seem to be interesting to me, especially the new Mario game. Some of the durability issues have me worried. I don't want to buy an expensive device which can be so easily destroyed by the shroud that the company provides.

So far, I have just given some of my impressions, but my questions are thus:
For PSVR, do I need to buy the PS4 Pro to enjoy the games? Also, will it become obsolete in short order? Am I better off to wait for the inevitable PSVR2? Is using PSVR worth the $500 price, or are the games not there to justify the hardware, unless you're an extreme VR lover?

For the Switch: Is the hardware prone to being easily damaged? Are the Switch games going to be so spectacular that I should invest in the system, instead of just adding on a VR setup? Naturally, it's an easier sell to just buy an add on to the PS4, even if the cost is greater initially. Obviously, once you factor in the controllers and accoutrements, the prices will start to get closer.

Overall, I feel a bit confused with regards to the sales pitches for these new systems, Xbox One X included. I love all of the game trailers, particularly for games like God of War or Super Mario. But I'm still not sure of what benefits the new hardware provides.

Any help that you can give me to help clarify these issues is most appreciated.

Having both myself, it's a hard choice to pick just one. I would say try PSVR first, if you can, as it's not for everyone (VR sickness ect) but if it doesn't make you sick, then it's just down to the games you want to play.

You don't need a Pro for PSVR, as it works fine on standard PS4, Pro just makes the graphics slightly better. There are a lot of games for VR now and while they are not always very long games, the immersion of being in the game is fantastic and there are already a lot of good games like Job Simulator, Far Point, RE7 and SuperHOT (out soon)

Switch is also great, as a handheld and not bad as a home console (I just use it as a handheld) and obviously has great games like Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey ect.

Really tough choice as both great, good luck.

CEJames

Wrap it up folks. Looks like OP has his mind made up. VR it is. You'll love it man.

Sounds like you've already made your decision but you want us to convince you otherwise :)
Breath of the Wild isn't all that similar to other Zelda games honestly, aside from maybe the first. And the Switch's library will ridicule the PSVR's in a couple of years but it sounds like the latter will be a better fit for your gaming habits.

"Couple of years"....*sigh*. I'm saving this post.

spekkeh

Banned
PSVR is no good for racing games imo. The horizon is way too blurry. Though given that you have a vision impairment maybe it would matter a bit less to you anyway.

If you're married I would go for Switch. It depends a bit on how cool she is with you stonewalling her for long periods of time, but if you only feel comfortable locking yourself away for fifteen minutes at a time, you know it will collect dust within days.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The next gen VR headsets from HTC and Oculus is likely to be coming out next year (Valve already showed off gen 2 reference motion controllers and gen 2 tracking system), so its highly likely Sony will do something next year, probably a slightly improved or more powerful PSVR to narrow the technical gap too.

MattAces

Battle of fan base! Too bad Nintendo fan base is so much bigger than PSVR in Gaf.
jk

I love my PSVR more than Switch, my Switch has been sitting in its dock after 2 weeks of Mario Kart 8. I have 20+ VR games and only 6 Switch games, since I came from Wii U. That being said, Switch is the safer bet, PSVR is a niche generation 1 product, definitely not a device for everyone. Nintendo games are just, well, master pieces. PSVR allows a whole new way to experience games, but in terms of hours play, it won't beat Switch games.

Also the amount of people who never tried PSVR is funny, making stupid claims like it's a fact or something.

JordanN

Banned
No contest: Switch

And Switch is weaker than a PSVR.

If you're buying one for hardware, Switch wouldn't be it.

ffvorax

If you dont have pro there is no need to waste money on VR.

lol why?
I don't have a Pro and still I'm enjoying a lot my PSVR... :)

Anyway from the last post, I think Clemsontigers35 has already made a choice... he doesn't like much Zelda and will play mostly single player at home...

panda-zebra

The next gen VR headsets from HTC and Oculus is likely to be coming out next year (Valve already showed off gen 2 reference motion controllers and gen 2 tracking system), so its highly likely Sony will do something next year, probably a slightly improved or more powerful PSVR to narrow the technical gap too.

Not happening. PC peripherals keeping pace with PC tech improvements, Oculus and Vive are free to battle it out together and take VR to new places. Maybe they'll sell new sets to everyone who already bought in and match PS.VR's current install base.

Sony's consoles are not changing any time soon. When they do, it'll be a new generation capable of supporting advancements in VR and that's when they'll offer a new VR setup, if they feel there's a future for one. The only possible new VR equipment from Sony would be, IMO, a Move with analogue stick solution.

Where Oculus and Vive look to bring new hardware to ignite more spending, Sony will do the usual console thing of lowering the price barrier to entry. My guess it'll be $299 MSRP by the holiday and there will be a bundle with camera and 2 motion controllers for $399.

Well, for me, Switch has one great game so far - which is Zelda. I've yet to play Arms which appears to be solid. And of course, Mario Kart was on Wii U Which I've played to death. At this stage I'm hanging out for Mario Odyssey and then I'll go from there.

On PSVR I've played, and loved, Thumper, Rez (never played before), RE7 (partially so far) and Farpoint (currently trying to get a bundle of my own). There are also a stack of demos that I've enjoyed (Bound etc).

Again, Switch will undoubtedly have a stronger library soon. But as it stands right now, I don't think the Switch library is anything special.

I also said if there is an even a remote interest in any of Nintendo's big franchise the choice is obvious.

Yeah I'm not questioning how you feel about the games. That's mighty fine! I was just interested in hearing what you think was a better lineup.

Let's agree to disagree though :>

"Couple of years"....*sigh*. I'm saving this post.

There's no need to be like that. I'm not taking a shot at PSVR. But how many games on it can compete with Zelda? Once all the Nintendo big guns are out it's not that big of a stretch to imagine that the Switch library will be better regarded by most people. Doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of good games on PSVR.

JusDoIt

The Switch has Breath of the Wild, which is frontrunner for Game of the Year. Even the most enthusiastic VR gamers would admit that no VR titles are Game of the Year material.

Always go with the system with the better games.

I have both. And all I can say is, so far, PSVR is the better investment, imo.

The Switch is good too, especially with Mario coming out, and first of all if Mario excites you, it's a no brainer, you have to get a Switch.

PSVR tho.. man, lil shitty games are dope to just look around. That beginning of Batman is just jaw dropping!
Riding roller coasters dual wielding shotguns, shooting killer clowns in rush of blood! Exploring the world in Robinson.. RE7!! Man.. It's an app on PS4 where I watched the lion king broadway play and it was magical. Theatre mode makes games look 100 feet tall! I've yet to get farpoint, but I bet it's good too.. add skyrim and you have some good content.

Sometimes the bad thing about vr, is it can be too intense tho.

The Switch is nice and cool.. but the best game on it, imo, is Mario Kart. So far I don't like Zelda, I'm old school and like the old way it used to be. I'm keeping it cause maybe it'll click for me one day. Just bought Arms and one minute I'm enjoying it, the next I hate it.
Mario Kart is dope..

But you spend your bread how you like, but imo, PSVR (and vr in general) is great. Just very expensive.

MattAces

Tell me I'm wrong.

So with only Vita you lost trust to Sony? Because don't bring up PS Move, which is still supported for 50+ VR titles.
Same argument can be said for Wii U.

The Switch has Breath of the Wild, which is frontrunner for Game of the Year. Even the most enthusiastic VR gamers would admit that no VR titles are Game of the Year material.

Always go with the system with the better games.

OP stated he doesn't really love Zelda that much.

marmoka

Banned
Switch

VR is still far away from being worth getting it. You wouldn't spend 400 bucks to play a FF fishing game, would you?

maxmars

I don't know, one is a fantastic handheld to play anywhere with built-in support for local play and the other is an awesome add-on that lets you immerse all by yourself in a virtual world. Which one would you prefer?

So with only Vita you lost trust to Sony? Because don't bring up PS Move, which is still supported for 50+ VR titles.
Same argument can be said for Wii U.

The move was lucky enough to get a second wind with the psvr. Lets not pretend like there was a gap in time where it was dead. A time where you could find bundles of it clearanced out on retail shelves because no one wanted it. Yes the wii u underperformed but Nintendo was still developing games for it up until this year. How many years did it take for Sony to stop developing games for the vita? 3?

MattAces

The move was lucky enough to get a second wind with the psvr. Lets not pretend like there was a gap in time where it was dead. A time where you could find bundles of it clearanced out on retail shelves because no one wanted it. Yes the wii u underperformed but Nintendo was still developing games for it up until this year.

So PS Move is still being used. It's not a dead product.

lherre

Accurate
I don't know, one is a fantastic handheld to play anywhere with built-in support for local play and the other is an awesome add-on that lets you immerse all by yourself in a virtual world. Which one would you prefer?

Basically this, different experiences at all.

Top Bottom