• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a better choice: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

Steel

Banned
PSVR has more games to its name than the switch atm(obviously will change over time). That being said, PSVR is the most lacking of the headsets out and vr will only get better over time. I suggest trying VR at a local best buy or something.

BriGuy

I have both. If you made me choose, I would go with the Switch. PSVR is fine and all, but the software isn't the same quality as you'd find on a traditional console. It can also be pretty fatiguing to set up and play.

Crom

After this latest E3 showing, I am certainly interested in both Playstation VR and Nintendo Switch. However, I don't feel as if I know enough to decide between the two, and I certainly can't afford both. Currently, I have a standard PS4, and the VR games look very interesting. However, I don't want to spend $500 on a VR setup that very well could be replaced by a PSVR 2 within a year or two. The Nintendo Switch games also seem to be interesting to me, especially the new Mario game. Some of the durability issues have me worried. I don't want to buy an expensive device which can be so easily destroyed by the shroud that the company provides.

So far, I have just given some of my impressions, but my questions are thus:
For PSVR, do I need to buy the PS4 Pro to enjoy the games? Also, will it become obsolete in short order? Am I better off to wait for the inevitable PSVR2? Is using PSVR worth the $500 price, or are the games not there to justify the hardware, unless you're an extreme VR lover?

For the Switch: Is the hardware prone to being easily damaged? Are the Switch games going to be so spectacular that I should invest in the system, instead of just adding on a VR setup? Naturally, it's an easier sell to just buy an add on to the PS4, even if the cost is greater initially. Obviously, once you factor in the controllers and accoutrements, the prices will start to get closer.

Overall, I feel a bit confused with regards to the sales pitches for these new systems, Xbox One X included. I love all of the game trailers, particularly for games like God of War or Super Mario. But I'm still not sure of what benefits the new hardware provides.

Any help that you can give me to help clarify these issues is most appreciated.

Switch for sure. It will be supported more with killer games.

As an owner of both things, Id say Switch, but thats not a knock on the PSVR, which surpassed my expectations. Its been an enormous hit with my friends. RE7, Farpoint, Thumper, Rush of Blood... all a good time, and still havent played Rez or Batman.

But Switch is awesome. Had a Mario Kart/Arms day at a friends house, and the day flew by, so fun. Splatoon 2 and Mario coming down the road... thatd be my vote.

I'm saving up for a Nintendo Switch. I feel Nintendo will go full force behind Switch with eventually every first party and second party only working on Switch games. Nintendo doesn't really have a fall back like Sony. (unless if they release a 3DS successor)

If Sony decides PSVR isn't profitable enough, they just fall back on PS4 and leave PSVR in the corner with the Vita. We just don't know how long Sony will support PSVR. (At least in a major way.) PSVR could be the next big thing for them or something that just fades away.

Plus Switch does have the advantage of playing the go.

If it's a choice between a peripheral and a platform, a platform will always invariably provide more value for money.

On the other hand, i personally don't have the time to run more than two platforms concurrently (PS4 and PC), so I would personally go for PSVR. But if you have more time available for gaming than I do, get a Switch.

It's hard to compare functionalities of two very different beasts:
-an immersive new gaming experience being VR that try to change how you perceive games, and
-a portable device with local multiplayer anywhere out of the box that try to change how you integrate games in your lifestyle.

Maybe you need some tools for comparison. It's not perfect (because tastes varies), but using OpenCritic you can easily check what games are out sorted by rating (Metacritic doesn't seem to list PSVR as a platform). It doesn't list upcoming games right though.

Discussion about the PSVR without the pro, seems positive.
VR also has practical uses like viewing 3D movies.
Switch's portability can also mean playing a level in the bed then finish the boss on the TV.
Local coop offerings are resurging if the wife's interested in Snipperclips & co.

EDIT: it seems that even OpenCritic doesn't list all PSVR-compatible games, but instead lists them as PS4 games (Resident Evil). That seems like a bug! Reported it.

If you want to play and experience games in a new dimension, buy the PSVR.

If you want the best of what Nintendo can offer, buy the Switch.

You won't go wrong either way.

paulogy

Folks seem concerned about a PSVR 2 right around the corner, but I think we're far more likely to see Nintendo update the Switch hardware first, since they seem to do that to their handhelds every time. New Switch XL or whatever it might be called.

Wil348

I think Switch definitely has the better value proposition, since it has more notable and well-recieved software lineup and is two systems in one. If you're going to seriously invest into VR, a PS4 Pro and move controllers are recommended which will take the overall cost up to about $850. That said, if you intend on playing docked mode a lot on Switch I would recommend a Pro controller which will take the cost up to $360.

13ruce

Banned
Switch, VR is more like a Tech demo (3-4 hour games) and soon alot of ports of old games.

Zelda, Xenoblade, Arms, Mario Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Metroid Prime 4, Splatoon and more 2 vs hmmmm Farpoint, RE 7, Skyrim VR, Fallout VR, allot of tech demo like short games, rush of blood.

Unless VR starts getting Major AAA games like RE 7 day one like normal players why even bother?

Wait till ps vr 2 or till it takes off VR is still niche sadly.

I wish we would live in a world where the obvious answer would be PSVR, but here we are. Definitely go for the Nintendo Switch. It's an awesome console with some great games (Zelda: BotW, ARMS, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Shovel Knight). Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 are also coming out soon, making it an even better purchase.

PSVR and just VR in general is still in its infancy. Not worth a purchase at this moment.

Hubble

PSVR. More groundbreaking and ambitious than Switch. The experiences you have are amazing. RE7 in VR is amazing and has a lot of little things that you would not think of sprinkled in the game.

I love VR, but, while I would recommend a Rift/Vive over a Switch, I wouldn't recommend a PSVR over it.

PSVR movement detection is very cheap and destined for fast obsolescence, while you can be certain that the Switch will still be very alive and kicking 2 years from now.

Go Switch.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Easy Switch.

PSVR isn't even fully compatible with ps4 pro so it can fuck right off.

Bowl0l

$300 Switch
VS
$399 PSVR
+
(
$200~$250 PS4
|| $399 PS4 Pro
&& $unknown 2* PS Move
&& $unknown 1* PS Camera Gen. 2
)
To me, the price of entry for PSVR is not amazing.
Get Gen. 2 PSVR + PS5 Pro instead.

jts

...hate me...
PSVR.

If only to tell one day to your Nintendo-playing grandsons that you were one of those that had one.

The Switch seems like a pretty easy pick here to be honest, unless you have some special interest in VR which I couldn't tell from what you put down in the OP. The future of VR seems to be rather uncertain at the moment so I'd honestly back off of investing 400+ bucks on something that might just not take off. The Switch got some pretty good games lined up and doesn't seem to have problems penetrating the market so consider that.

wbEMX

Switch. I borrowed the PSVR from a good friend for a month to play DriveClub VR, Rush of Blood and RE7, and while it definitely is awesome, I think that the Switch has more value right now with titles like Breath of the Wild and the upcoming titles.

Oh, and Sony has the tendency to support hardware that is not their main home consoles for two years max and then drop them like a hot potato. I expect the same thing to happen with PSVR.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Had both since day one. Had a PS4 Pro since day one. If I lost my Switch tomorrow, I'd trade my PSVR for a new one straight up. Shit, I'd throw in extra cash if you made me. Sure, there are technically more games on the PSVR at the moment, but the games that do anything more than make me say "eh, I guess that was kinda neat" are few and far between. Judging by what's been announced, it's going to stay that way for a while. I've already put more play time into like 4-5 Switch games individually than I have on my PSVR in total.

It's cool, don't get me wrong. If I would've just said "that's cool but that's enough" after trying it at Best Buy pre-release, I would've saved a shitload of money and it would have had next to zero impact on my gaming experience over the past 8 months. I can't think of any people I'm going to have over to the house who haven't tried it yet and, since they never ask to try again, I don't know when I'm going to use the thing.

KORNdoggy

as a home gamer, i'd opt for PSVR, not only does it have more games, it's offering something entirely new and if you haven't experienced VR nothing can really prepare you for the sense of presence you feel actually standing in a virtual world... taking a game on the road just seems a bit mundane in comparison.

DigSCCP

Make a list with 10 games released/announced and see wich one can fully complete this.
At the moment? I would say neither of them.
Wait for Black Friday/Holiday deals grab a PSVR and buy a Switch later in 2018.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't agree. Tracking is "good enough". It's not Vive-godlike and far from perfect (and truly unworkable in some setups, for whatever reason), but it's here to stay with this generation of console and headset.

And there's no reason for a slim-like redesign - Sony's engineers put out a headset that feels great to wear for extended periods, hence all the copy-cat designs appearing.

"good enough" wouldnt hold long when near future VR games require more advanced techs. Its already preventing many games from getting ported over.

theres always room for improvement like lighter or smaller headset

PS2 was also a more rounded product than PSone, but again the latter's infancy was ''the worst and the best part at the same time''.

you didn't really answer to what my post state.

Sorry, that was a misquote. I was actually wanting to quote fierrotlepou post

As of right now, a PSVR is more appealing to me.

Mainly because at the moment the PSVR offers experiences a PS4 doesn't

Can't say the same thing for The Switch and Wii U (....for now at least)

KORNdoggy

theres always room for improvement like lighter or smaller headset

there actually kinda isn't. there is a reason all VR headsets seem to protrude around the same amount. for it to work the screen needs to sit a certain distance from your face. so that is not going to change anytime soon, and the rest of PSVR is literally a light plastic hoop. it's kinda hard to improve upon it in any meaningful way. it's light and it's comfy. wireless is the only real way in which it can move forward, but that introduces weight.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I own both. PSVR is bulky, has a ton of wires protruding everywhere, and is a pain to set up each time you want to use it. The library is also lacking. Quantity is fine, quality is poor.

Switch is a better choice.

bomblord1

Banned
VR is an amazing thing OP but the PSVR is the bottom of the barrel compared to the Vive and really even the Oculus. You're looking at an under supported add-on with a restricted install base vs Nintendo's new system.

Nintendo's new system is going to get you more must play software.

KORNdoggy

VR is an amazing thing OP but the PSVR is the bottom of the barrel compared to the Vive and really even the Oculus. You're looking at an under supported add-on with a restricted install base vs Nintendo's new system.

Nintendo's new system is going to get you more must play software.

how do you figure it's under supported? and by whatever metric you're using, surely the switch would come off way worse?

Oersted

If you like shooters, racers, third person action adventures and plattformers(and you do), you should consider the console with Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon. You could also play supereasy with your wife.

This isn't an argument against PSVR. I don't like VR in general, so don't ask me about its value.

As an old gamer, VR somehow has woke up my ''gaming instincts'' again.

So PSVR.

My situation too, Being 34, Having adult relationship etc i don't get much gaming time. So the time i do get has to be worth it, PSVR was that immersive my girlfriend joined in and couldn't believe it.

Personally PSVR has gave me the greatest gaming experiences iv'e had for many years, Whether that was in R7 or Farpoint, Suiting up as Batman, Riding the death ride in Rush of blood. And even for abit playing RIGS with friends.

The OP says his not big on Zelda, So the switch offers more of the same in Mario Kart or Mario etc. VR is new and fresh so it's up too the OP if he wants more of the same or something totally fresh and new.

I think the Switch would give you access to more must play software.

I agree with you.

Honestly having played a bunch of PSVR titles and other VR titles I am really not impressed. It is a cool experience but the games are pretty shit. The only thing I have really enjoyed and would want to spend time playing is Thumper and it is awesome without VR anyway.

The last two VR games I played were Farpoint and Mortal Blitz and both were just, eh. For me. The feedback and the way weapons fired felt really terrible.

It sucks I was very excited for VR but damn near everything I have tried so far has been a cool 15 minute thing that I never want to play again. Switch will almost definitely end up with better software over time.

Top Bottom