• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a better choice: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

So PS Move is still being used. It's not a dead product.

Yea I'm sure all those Move pre psvr adopters bought it with the intention of using it with psvr. And for the record I hope Sony does continue to support the psvr even its not doing well. I don't want people to get burned.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not happening. PC peripherals keeping pace with PC tech improvements, Oculus and Vive are free to battle it out together and take VR to new places. Maybe they'll sell new sets to everyone who already bought in and match PS.VR's current install base.

Sony's consoles are not changing any time soon. When they do, it'll be a new generation capable of supporting advancements in VR and that's when they'll offer a new VR setup, if they feel there's a future for one. The only possible new VR equipment from Sony would be, IMO, a Move with analogue stick solution.

Where Oculus and Vive look to bring new hardware to ignite more spending, Sony will do the usual console thing of lowering the price barrier to entry. My guess it'll be $299 MSRP by the holiday and there will be a bundle with camera and 2 motion controllers for $399.

They can do so with a cheaper, revised model ala slim model of a playstation

And with the tracking system dragging PSVR down they'll have to improve it sooner rather than later

panda-zebra

Switch

VR is still far away from being worth getting it. You wouldn't spend 400 bucks to play a FF fishing game, would you?

Actually there probably are some people who would, FF has some real ultras in its fanbase. And yes, some people in the PS.VR thread spent $400 to command the Enterprise afterall, whatever floats boats. But bizarre that you would choose that game of the ~100 games and experiences released or the larger number of announced titles.

MattAces

Actually there probably are some people who would, FF has some real ultras in its fanbase. And yes, some people in the PS.VR thread spent $400 to command the Enterprise afterall, whatever floats boats. But bizarre that you would choose that game of the ~100 games and experiences released or the larger number of announced titles.

Huh? You mean FF Fishing is not the only PSVR game? Madness.
Let me try. You wouldn't spend 300 bucks to play Vroom In The Night Sky on Switch would you?

Gutss

PsVr needs a ps4 for this to work while the switch gives you a 2 in one package,if you have a common sense you know where to go.

*Splinter

They're different enough that it can only really come down to what you want: VR or portability? Both have (and will continue to get) great games.

For me the choice was easy. Portability isn't worth much to me so the Switch is just games, and I already have more of those than I can play on PS4. VR offered an entirely new way to experience games, something my base PS4 (or the Switch) couldn't provide.

For your specific questions:
No you don't need a pro. There is apparently a noticeable upgrade for those who care, but it's by no means mandatory. I use base PS4.

I wouldn't expect PSVR2 any time soon. If I had to guess I'd say PS5 late 2019, PSVR2 a year or two after that.

I don't own a Switch so I can't answer those questions, although I would assume any reports of units being damaged are exaggerated (as long as you take care of your shit, of course).

*Splinter

Having been following the PSVR thread pretty much from the start, I'm pretty sure noone paid $400 for the Star Trek game. Completely ridiculous statement to make.

PsVr needs a ps4 for this to work while the switch gives you a 2 in one package,if you have a common sense you know where to go.
OP already has a PS4

darkwing

Yea I'm sure all those Move pre psvr adopters bought it with the intention of using it with psvr. And for the record I hope Sony does continue to support the psvr even its not doing well. I don't want people to get burned.

if PSVR is not doing well sales wise, what about Oculus and Vive

panda-zebra

They can do so with a cheaper, revised model ala slim model of a playstation

And with the tracking system dragging PSVR down they'll have to improve it sooner rather than later

I don't agree. Tracking is "good enough". It's not Vive-godlike and far from perfect (and truly unworkable in some setups, for whatever reason), but it's here to stay with this generation of console and headset.

And there's no reason for a slim-like redesign - Sony's engineers put out a headset that feels great to wear for extended periods, hence all the copy-cat designs appearing.

CEJames

There's no need to be like that. I'm not taking a shot at PSVR. But how many games on it can compete with Zelda? Once all the Nintendo big guns are out it's not that big of a stretch to imagine that the Switch library will be better regarded by most people. Doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of good games on PSVR.

Though Nintendo's big guns will be enjoyable for it's fanbase, you can't quite say "most people" because that would imply that any newcomers would also love Nintendo's IP's.
A lot of the titles for VR, even right now, have so much variety that I could also say most would enjoy years from now as well. They're great pick up & play titles with incredible immersion.

But still, my main point is that we can't wage a future war because we don't know how strong Nintendo will be with the Switch, if you look at the past Wii U. And of course, I can't say VR will be any better, considering the Vita.

PSVR is doing quite well really, it sold over a million already, Vive and Rift haven't even sold close to a million yet and PSVR came out around 6 months later than Vive and Rift too.

*Splinter

Not a Pro tho. The graphical difference when using PSVR in PS4 and PS4Pro is very noticeable, I don't know why people who are serious about using PSVR would not also buy PS4Pro, it's--in my eyes--a necessity.
I have PSVR without a Pro. I don't doubt it's a noticeable difference, but graphics aren't that important to me (and it probably helps that I've never tried PSVRPro - don't know what I'm missing, don't feel the need to worry about it).

Guppeth

Not a Pro tho. The graphical difference when using PSVR in PS4 and PS4Pro is very noticeable, I don't know why people who are serious about using PSVR would not also buy PS4Pro, it's--in my eyes--a necessity.

Only after you've seen the difference, I think. I'm doing fine with my vanilla PS4, and I'm some months away from being able to afford a Pro. I'm sure it'll be a nice upgrade.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
take it from someone who owns the switch, go with the vr. the switch is a very underwhelming piece of hardware, the 3ds is much better.

bennibop

P ersonally enjoying psvr more than my switch. It really is nice to use something different to play games and interact in mew ways.

Answering OP: it depends.

I am lucky and have a PC VR headset and a switch. Knowing nothing about you or your lifestyle, I'd say the average person will probably get more day to day use and fun out of a switch BUT VR experiences are amazing and can be a total game changer.

You absolutely should try out VR for an extended period (a few hours at least) ideally you could do this if a friend has a headset and then you can spend your own money on a switch.

The moment where you put the headset on, and realise what VR really is, is amazing.

I have a PS4 Pro and a switch. I've since played PSVR on a friends non-pro for a couple of hours. I was impressed, very impressed, but my expectations were low. Certainly far more of a "wow" moment than loading up the switch for the first time. Although Zelda is one of the best games of all time, and I would say if you are big a gamer, the switch is an essential purchase at some point. But are either essential right this moment? No, both don't have longegivity yet. They are 1 or 2 title experiences.

For PSVR, do I need to buy the PS4 Pro to enjoy the games? Also, will it become obsolete in short order? Am I better off to wait for the inevitable PSVR2?

Hardware is pretty solid, and the Pro is it's upgrade path for the forseeable future. But demanding games like Resident Evil definitely look pixelated on the non-Pro. The game in general doesn't look that pixelated, but It's like if a person is standing more than a virtual 10 feet away pixels suddenly become a more overriding factor in their visual appearance. A lot of the other games I tried looked and played just fine. I'ts one of those things that will bother you as much as you let it.

Is using PSVR worth the $500 price, or are the games not there to justify the hardware, unless you're an extreme VR lover?

Depends what $500 is to you, to me it's too much for what really does feel like 'a cool theme park ride' I want it, but not at that price.

For the Switch: Is the hardware prone to being easily damaged?

No, pretty solid. Don't believe the tabloid poison spewed online.

But I'm still not sure of what benefits the new hardware provides.

Switch = maximum convenience.
Pro/OneX = your PS4/Xbone games in 4k or quasi-4k for 4k TV owners.
Pro = less pixelated VR on some titles

majik13

Im guessing most will say Switch.

I own both, and Im pretty sure Id go PSVR, its just a new experience unlike anything before. While Switch is great and has amazing games, and should have great long support, I feel Ive mostly played all this before already. Ive just been a lot more engaged with PSVR recently, and still blows me away at times.

Cuburt

I usually wouldn't say this, but in this case, if you have to ask whether you should get PSVR, you'd probably be better off with a Switch.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm a big fan of VR and a big skeptic when it comes to the Switch, but there ain't nothing even close to Zelda's level on PSVR. Even if the Switch is abandoned by third parties and becomes an "I use it just for Nintendo games" system, that's still much higher quality software than what's in the pipeline for PSVR, if one is being honest.

Can only get one? Get the Switch.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I own both a Pro and a psvr, and a Switch. Personally I haven't turned on my Switch since early May. I use my psvr all the time and really value those experiences. That said, VR has always been a dream of mine.

The only reason I haven't sold my Switch is my youngest daughter not wanting me to and Odyssey, I suppose.

ffvorax

I believe it's just nonsense to buy any console for just one game, even with the prospective to have more on the "near" future, usually people should be more patient and wait for discounts (I know on the N side the word discounts is nearly non existent...)

BUT if someone love Zelda, why not let him buy an expensive switch to play it now without waiting for more good games coming later (many months later)?

If someone LOVE star trek, why not let him buy the PSVR to enjoy a VR amazing experience with already available another good choice of titles for it?

Everyone should spend their money on what make them enteretained and happy, if the can.

Mr Swine

Banned
Does VR (PSVR) offer new ways to play games? Too me it just seems to be a Wii/PS Move type of gameplay with a movable camera thanks to the helmet on your head

MattAces

Does VR (PSVR) offer new ways to play games? Too me it just seems to be a Wii/PS Move type of gameplay with a movable camera thanks to the helmet on your head

Had you tried VR in general?

Im guessing most will say Switch.

I own both, and Im pretty sure Id go PSVR, its just a new experience unlike anything before. While Switch is great and has amazing games, and should have great long support, I feel Ive mostly played all this before already. Ive just been a lot more engaged with PSVR recently, and still blows me away at times.

I recommended Switch, however if I can choose to not buy either PSVR or Switch during launch, i would've chosen Switch easily, especially since I have a Wii U.
PSVR just provides me so much new experience every week, while Switch are just, well Wii U stuff re-release. I don't regret buying any of them, but if I really have to choose one, yea.

MattAces

Once, a movie demo and I wasn't that impressed. It's probably a lot better with PSVR, Oculus and Vive when playing games

Movie/video demonstration are VR in its most basic form especially if it is on mobile VR. PSVR, Rift and Vive has positional tracking and motion controllers, it's the hardest thing to describe without trying it, but when you are actually holding a virtual gun shooting enemies, even the simplest game is fun, engaging because you are IN it. I know VR game trailers looks bad, boring, generic and basic, but just give it a try if you have the chance.

majik13

Once, a movie demo and I wasn't that impressed. It's probably a lot better with PSVR, Oculus and Vive when playing games

Yeah a movie demo, Id almost hardly call VR. Its like the lowest rung of the latter imo. Usually noticeable lower res, seems, warping artifacts, etc. No interactions whatsoever, and no spatial tracking. Playing a good VR demo, is much better.

My first experience, was a Gear VR Avengers video at a store. It was cool, alright, was epecting more. Eventually bought a Gear VR, and the games and demos were better, was still really cool. But not until I got a PSVR home, and spent some quality time with it and saw all the cool uses did it really click and immerse me.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It basically boils down to how futureproof you want your purchase to be. Let me use a comparison.

If you'd asked me to recommend you a system between the Dreamcast and the PS2 back in the day and I'd been prescient about the fates of the Dreamcast and the PS2, I would have recommended the PS2 because its future was bright and the DC's wasn't.

Now, look at the Switch and the PSVR: both are fairly recent releases, and their fates are, to a degree, uncertain. However, the current market performance of both devices, as well as a look at the history of hardware add-ons (which, no matter how successful sales-wise, never garnered much support, e.g. PSVR, EyeToy, MotionPlus, 32X, SEGA CD, N64 RAMpack...) strongly suggest that you should go with the dedicated system, i.e. Switch.

There isn't anything to suggest that the PSVR sales and development support will pick up in the coming years. The Switch's future looks much brighter. How bright exactly is what remains to be seen, but it's safe to say it's brighter nonetheless.

Seriously, get a Switch. You'll get more great games down the road. And the greatest games on the system right now are better than the greatest games on the PSVR anyway, save maybe for RE7 if that's your jam. Unless you don't care one bit about Zelda, Mario Kart, or ARMS (or Bomberman if you're a fan).

ffvorax

I can say without doubt that Resident Evil VII in VR is a total new game experience. Believe me.
It's like playing 2 different games.

So yes, even in such a "classic" game with a first person visual it give you a new way to play games, or actually enanche some of the actual ones.

Onrail shooter are much more fun with VR for example.

kahi

Switch. I love my Oculus Rift but hardly get to play it as it isolates you from the world and my wife doesn't like when I play it

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
My biggest complaint is that PSVR is combersome to set up around the TV.

Some very fun and immersive experiences.

I haven't been able to track down or allot funds for Switch.

redcrayon

Given Sony's track record of dropping support for hardware that isn't their main consoles at a moment's notice if it's struggling, I'd go with a Switch, and have another look at VR in a few years time when the next generation of devices roll around. Improvements in VR hardware are likely to be comparative leaps and bounds compared to portable hardware, so if you are going to wait on one I'd wait and see on VR, it's current iteration seems both expensive and cumbersome for an uncertain future.

Chao

Would never pick up a psvr over a switch.

VR is not quite here yet, device is cool but could be better. screen quality is EH, tracking is meh, It's super expensive and needs another console to make it work.
Catalogue consists of mini games/experiences and then a couple of cool titles like RE7 or Farpoint.

I would definitely wait for the revision with better screen quality and a new, more precise tracking method.

Switch is an amazing console with a brilliant future ahead of it, as long as you enjoy the kind of games Nintendo makes.

By the way, this reminds me of that quote by some Nintendo guy telling that they're interested in VR and are definitely looking into it... So maybe the switch will get VR support at some point too.

deoee

Having owned a Vive and PSVR and a Switch I wouldn't get VR stuff nowadays. It's fun at first but imo really really inconvenient to wear the headset all the time.

While the experience is cool I couldn't bring myself to play VR stuff to relax.

The Switch on the other hand is the polar opposite of that. I play games at so many new occasions thanks to it.

Osahi

I love both. My VR sees a bit more action, as the platform really attracts me and the often bitesize experiences fit my curent lifestyle, where there just is less time to dig in massive games. It's also a really impressive experience, where you in the end get used to, but which never really gets old...

But I would recommend the Switch, as the future prospects are amazing, even in the darkest timeline where the only thing worthwile releasing for the system are Nintendo's own games. There is a pretty intriguing slate of future releases planned, and the system itself is very impressive too. The seamlessness of the TV- en handheld modes is not a gamechanger in gameplaysenses, but it is in the way you play. Coming home from commuting, plugging the thing in and continuing your game... amazing. It's also a great party machine.

And it has the best game on it in years. Breath of the Wild can't be missed, and even though it is available on Wii U, I'd prefer to play it in Switch.

Peltz

As an owner of both, I'd go for a Switch over a PSVR. The software support is going to be stronger and more frequent. You'll get better value out of it.

I own both and this is ultimately how I feel as well. As a piece of hardware, PSVR definitely provides the newer experience. But the Switch is just going to have more important releases. The full weight of Nintendo is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, I find them to be complete opposite propositions:

The Switch is built around convenience. You can use it anywhere and always share the experience. The PSVR, in contrast, requires you to be fully immersed and tethered to the console. Everything must align perfectly for you to enjoy it. It takes a lot out of you and isn't something you should play for hours a day every day.

Plus, BotW was just fucking brilliant.

Top Bottom