• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a better choice: PSVR or Nintendo Switch?

mattmanp

VR is future and more a proving ground. Some amazing stuff but not yet revolutionary.

Switch is going to provide bigger and better games more immediately.

If you travel, like Nintendo franchises, or care more about bang for buck, get the Switch. If you want an early glimpse of what games can be with a whole new level of immersion but mostly smaller games and no system selling killer app, VR may be best for you.

Hope that helps!

I have both the PSVR and a Switch.

PSVR is better and has better games, period. The Switch is simply more of what you already like, except with the gimmick of literally being able to switch between TV play and handheld play instantly and seamlessly. The game experiences are not actually new (Arms and other motion control gimmick stuff notwithstanding).

But playing PSVR? Man. Farpoint with an Aim controller? Dirt Rally with a racing wheel? In fucking VR? That is some transcendental, next level shit. That game alone, you could play for hundreds of hours and not get bored. Just get better and better at rally racing. Very realistic, very fun and rewarding rally racing. And the games are only gonna get better and better, since you're getting in on the ground floor. With a Switch, you're getting great games, sure, but not because they're on Switch.

Also, there won't be a PSVR 2 for the forseeable future. 2 years at a bare minimum. Probably closer to 3. We'll see a phasing-out of the PS4 (to favor Pro as the new baseline) before we see a PSVR 2.

TLZ

Banned
Switch any day.

I had the PSVR and it was cumbersome. The resolution wasn't impressive (1080p with 540p for each eye? Didn't look good) and the weight on my head meant I couldn't play it for more than half hour. It's not that heavy, but when it's sat on your head for long enough you'll feel it. It's not the most comfortable. Then all the cables connected to my head, and continuous need to adjust the headset to perfect the VR vision so my eyes don't go cockeyed. Until we have wireless VR with small glasses-like form factor, I don't think I'll ever bother.

The Switch on the other hand at least gives you the ability to simply and quickly switch from playing on TV to a handheld by just taking the console/tablet out of the dock, attaching the joycons onto it and you're set to continue playing. Not many games yet but a year from now it'll have enough to enjoy. It's cheaper too.

As someone who owns an Oculus, I can say I'm definitely more satisfied with my Switch. When VR works it's like nothing else, but the truth is that there aren't enough games to keep me interested.

Spladam

VR is future and more a proving ground. Some amazing stuff but not yet revolutionary.

Switch is going to provide bigger and better games more immediately.

If you travel, like Nintendo franchises, or care more about bang for buck, get the Switch. If you want an early glimpse of what games can be with a whole new level of immersion but mostly smaller games and no system selling killer app, VR may be best for you.

Hope that helps!

This. VR is just not mature enough to make a considerable investment in yet, it's a tech that takes a good bit of development. The switch can get you right into some great games on the go.

I have yet to experience VR that was anything beyond novelty. The technology has amazing potential, but everything out currently is 'tech demo' level at best for me. Not trying to be a dick - I just don't think it's 'there' yet.... or even close.

Switch. Easily.

dano1

A Sheep
I want a PSVR...

but the answer is Switch.

Switch same old great games you've been playing for 25 years. Not a bad choice!!

Psvr. Something you have never seen or experienced!!!!

Vr will be the future if your stomach can handle it!! Just got mine Saturday and loving every second of it!!

Top Bottom