• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Marvel character is still missing from the MCU and how should they appear?

Garlador

When you truly look at the scale of Marvel's cinematic universe - including movies, TV, and Netflix - it's gargantuan at how many characters from the comics now have life-action representation, from Iron Man and Thor to Doc Sampson and Dum Dum Dugan. Characters both high and low-profile have exhaustively created a sprawling cinematic world in just under a decade of media.

But there's some clear gaps missing; obvious characters you're surprised they haven't pulled the trigger on and either given films or shows to yet or characters you'd think would've at least popped up in a cameo or reference by now.

Now, this is for characters that Marvel can easily use, so I'm not talking about the entire X-men universe or the Fantastic Four characters. Of course I'd like to see Wolverine and Deadpool mix it up with Thanos or Iron Man and Spider-man tussle with Doctor Doom, but that's just not realistic.

But there's some characters I'm still surprised we haven't gotten yet... and many of them are some of my absolute favorites.

For me, I'll just start with my favorite character from Marvel... Nova.
1096654-77_nova_36_02.jpg

Nova was right there center stage at the Renaissance of Cosmic Marvel's brilliant revival and relaunches of Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't even have happened without piggybacking off his exploits. He's been my favorite character since, despite rocky handling from time to time.

So what's the hold up? Well, James Gunn's not a fan of the character for some odd reason and prefers to keep Peter Quill as the only "human" character (despite the fact he's half-Celestial), while the MCU interpretation of the Nova Corps is less "human rockets" and more "inefficient Starship Troopers".

So how can they bring Richard Rider into the mythos? While I'm not getting my hopes up, if Infinity War can set the stage similar to Annihilation with Thanos just wrecking the Nova Corps to get their Infinity Stone, leaving a survivor to transfer their power to someone else before dying (RIP John C. Reilly's space cop), you'd have the character ready to go by Phase 4.

Until then, Nova oddly keeps showing up in earnest everywhere else - games, cartoons, comics, etc. - except the movie universe.

So... who else is long overdue for their cinematic debut?

Moon Knight.

Have him show up on the Defenders and be just unstable enough that nobody fully trusts him. Hint at the mystical elements of his character but don't go too deep into them.

Josemsar

Neo Member
Would love to have a nice presentation of Ghost Rider. The one with the bike, properly done. It deserves a proper reboot like Spider man did.

Sorry Cage, the movie sucks.

Nova had one good scene in Annihilation. Dick only Riding that

Slayven you've gone full heel turn with that Carol thread anyway I'm not sure you're trustworthy with these topics now.

I agree with ya OP. Gimme some Nova. Only bad part is he won't get to shit on Stark since RDJ will probably be gone by then.

Would love to have a nice presentation of Ghost Rider. The one with the bike, properly done. It deserves a proper reboot like Spider man did.

Ghost Rider was in the latest season of Agents of Shield, which is actually pretty good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The "only earthling" thing about Quill is right, but Gunn disliking Nova is a myth perpetuated by fan hyperbole:

In a recent interview with Super Interessante, director James Gunn discussed whether Nova would be entering the Marvel Cinematic Universe one day. ”You know, I think Nova is a great character. He may definitely show up at some point in the future," he said. ”It will not be in Guardians 2, but at some point."

(...)

”I don't want Nova right now because I think Quill being the only earthling is important. That serves the entire movie going audience and not just the handful of Nova fans... I have nothing against Nova in future movies, but it doesn't serve the movie right this moment."

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/12...vol-2-director-addresses-if-nova-will-show-u/

Garlador

Would love to have a nice presentation of Ghost Rider. The one with the bike, properly done.

Crazy enough, the Johnny Blaze version IS in the MCU, albeit very briefly. He's seen during the flashback of Robbie Reyes being transformed.

The "only earthling" thing about Quill is right, but Gunn disliking Nova is a myth perpetuated by fan hyperbole:

Eh, I think most fans focus on this quote:
I think certain people really like Nova. Quite honestly, I really don't care. He's not a favourite character. I don't know whether he's ever going to show up.

I think they serve a purpose? I like the Nova Corps, I just don't like Nova that much! He's okay, you know? I just don't like that helmet!

But who knows.

Litan

Instead of Nova, I want a Nova Corps military sci-fi trilogy where the Nova Corps are just soldiers with high tech weapons. Make it like Malazan/Black Company where more powerful beings sometimes get involved in the action/drama.

Captain Marvel makes Nova redudant. If we ever get him, it won't be for a good while.

IDK man , Marvel even got jimmy Woo from Agents of Atlas coming soon for Ant-Man and the wasp. Runaways on Hulu, Cloak & Dagger , etc.

I guess Squadron Supreme ,The Sentry , Hercules and Ares? Outside of these , i think you are mostly looking at the Z list of Marvel IP; Although i think that Marvel studio can somehow make (random wiki result) Silverclaw popular.

LewieP

Oh I'd love to have Silver Surfer and Galactus, but Fox have the rights.

I'd just want a live action version of the Silver Surfer origin story as presented in the animated series, with overwrought flowery dialogue, beautiful space scenery, and Brian Blessed playing Galactus.

Edit: Soundtrack of beautiful French electronic music.

The Fantastic 4 and Dr. Doom. I know, I know, movie rights. But Age of Ultron had the perfect set-up for Doom and they completely blew it. Why go through the trouble of coming up with "Sokovia" when Marvel already has a perfectly fine militaristic Eastern European nation in Latveria to get pissy when Ultron and The Avengers tear the place up?

jph139

Nova is a big one for me. Lots of Cosmic characters really.

But just this morning I was thinking about Jessica Drew.

latest

She might be caught up in the Spider-Man rights and, if so, like She-Hulk, it'd be complicated to get her on film or on air. But if, by the grace of god or Sony, available for MCU use, I can see three ways to use her.

1) A supporting character for Captain Marvel. Either in her new movie, in the 90s, as a friendly SHIELD agent (maybe Fury's sidekick?), or as a possible old friend in a modern sequel.

2) As a supporting character in Agents of SHIELD. Ship has probably sailed here, but her HYDRA background would be interesting to adapt here... was originally part of the coup but had a face-turn when the chips were down.

3) A Netflix series riffing on her most recent run. I think this would be my preference, even if "surly female PI" is already populated by Jessica Jones. I think the difference in tone - more lively and comedic, playing with her superspy background - would make up the difference though.

She's a cool character. Sucks that she's probably in a bit of a licencing limbo.

Tobor

I want the rumored Nathan Fillion Wonder-Man.

Other than that? Make a deal with Fox. Everybody else I want is locked up over there.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Man-Thing. I think a Netflix show would be cool, but it seems like a really easy thing to mess up (as proven by the direct-to-video movie).

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
She Hulk.

In a scene straight out of ghostbusters 2.
Camera close up on courtroom door. TV marvel folk think Daredevil is gonna come through . They get excited.
But no, it's Jennifer.
And all is right with the world.

Garlador

She-Hulk really should join the ranks.

Excellent choice.

I've thought about this for years, given how much legal issue the Avengers repeatedly get into. Hell, Iron Man 2 opens with Tony giving testimony to politicians for his actions.

So he must have one amazing lawyer, right?

While I'd prefer she get her own film, I think she could be a great supporting character in the MCU as their full-time legal adviser, part-time superpowered back-up.

Honestly, I was sold when a friend said a live action version of her should be a combination of Ally McBeal, WWE Smackdown, and Harvey Birdman.

Malyse

OBLIGATORY GWENPOOL.
Give Heather Antos a cameo.

I think that with the Captain Marvel movie taking place in the 90's, we could very easily get Kamala Khan in the MCU. Marvel's been things to make the Inhumans a thing, so why not go with the one Inhuman that people actually like and care about? And that's before we get to the phenomenal optics that character would give them.

She-Hulk.

She_hulk.jpg

She Hulk.

In a scene straight out of ghostbusters 2.
Camera close up on courtroom door. TV marvel folk think Daredevil is gonna come through . They get excited.
But no, it's Jennifer.
And all is right with the world.

Excellent choice.

I've thought about this for years, given how much legal issue the Avengers repeatedly get into. Hell, Iron Man 2 opens with Tony giving testimony to politicians for his actions.

So he must have one amazing lawyer, right?

While I'd prefer she get her own film, I think she could be a great supporting character in the MCU as their full-time legal adviser, part-time superpowered back-up.

Honestly, I was sold when a friend said a live action version of her should be a combination of Ally McBeal, WWE Smackdown, and Harvey Birdman.

She Hulk

Police procedural on netflix.

Get at me.

mjc

Blade02.jpg

Blade, it's time.

Can be a small seed placed by Doctor Strange with a comment about supernatural entities moving out of the shadows. I'd like to see him in the MCU but he doesn't really have a reason to play ball with most heroes. I guess a Netflix series would be alright.

Dalek

All good choices here.

I think the issue with She-Hulk is that she is tied in with Hulk's stupid distribution deal with Universal. She's too expensive to do on Netflix and too complicated (Rights wise) for the films.

That said-Beta Ray Bill is my top pick. He deserves it.

kurahador

I get the feeling they'll use Nova's setting/backstory for MCU's Carol.

Crazy enough, the Johnny Blaze version IS in the MCU, albeit very briefly. He's seen during the flashback of Robbie Reyes being transformed.

This scene is the reason I want Ghost Rider tv series.

Fuchsdh

Moon Knight.

Have him show up on the Defenders and be just unstable enough that nobody fully trusts him. Hint at the mystical elements of his character but don't go too deep into them.

Yeah. Even more so than Cloak and Dagger, Moon Knight seems like the perfect fit in a Netflix show.

Oh god yes! Is she able to appear on tv? Or does Universal control that too?

All good choices here.

I think the issue with She-Hulk is that she is tied in with Hulk's stupid distribution deal with Universal. She's too expensive to do on Netflix and too complicated (Rights wise) for the films.

That said-Beta Ray Bill is my top pick. He deserves it.

It's sad because I think a tv show with her would be perfect. Maybe with her showing up in the Movies now and again.

jmdajr

Blade02.jpg

Blade, it's time.

Can be a small seed placed by Doctor Strange with a comment about supernatural entities moving out of the shadows. I'd like to see him in the MCU but he doesn't really have a reason to play ball with most heroes. I guess a Netflix series would be alright.

Yeah. That be neat.

Sesha

Dick Rider, Araña, Agent Venom, Kate Bishop, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Moon Knight, Monica Rambeau, Elsa Bloodstone, Machine Man, The Captain, Songbird, Faiza Hussein, America Chavez, Phyla-Vell, Moondragon, and Hazmat.
As for villains, Stormin' Norman, Mysterio, MODOK, Taskmaster, The Hood, Annihilus, and Shuma-Gorath.

I don't care how they appear. The only thing that matters is that they're important characters in good movies. Although for Nova, I'd prefer if they do as little of the earth stuff as possible and just jumpstart his 2007 run. Or Annihilation, assuming they get the rights to Annihilus and the Negative Zone.

She-Hulk
How about Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel
Does Fox have Namor as part of the FF license?
Hercules
Ghost Rider
How about Captain Britain. Maybe too many captains already in the MCU?
Nova - was he the villain hinted at the end of GotG2, created by the gold people?

Buy back the FF from Fox because I really want a proper Dr. Doom on the big screen

Probably a ton of others I'm forgetting. I don't know much about their cosmic heroes.

I am mad that we haven't gotten Beta Ray bill yet. Every sequel has launched a new hero except for Thor

I'll be really bummed if there is no hint of Bill in Ragnarok. Even a hand picking up the broken handle of Mjolnir in the credits will do. I think kids will eat Bill up the way that Marvel thought Rocket was going to.

Nova
Ghost Rider (Johhny Blaze or Daniel Ketch - No Nicholas Cage)
Moon Knight
Are my three most wanted.

After we get those I'd like to see Darkhawk and Deathlok.

Then finally if we get all of those characters first, then I would like to see Sleepwalker.

Top Bottom