• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School |OT| Korean Horror Cult Classic Returns

Gradon

Made a bit of progress tonight, I'm feeling a lot better about Hard mode now that I'm back on track after getting lost and frustrated. At 2nd Bulding (event spoiler)
the science biology dummy disappeared and I'm slightly horrified.

Majmun

Not a fan of locking content behind a difficulty.

Probably the reason why I will never touch this game.

FYI there is a puzzle in this game that requires being able to read Chinese. I had to look up a walk through after stumbling about for hours. I think it might have been over looked by the dev.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

There's various felt pens around, but two right at the start (on all difficulties) are in the sink to the right of the entrance and on the radiator in one of the bathrooms right next to the start of the game.

You save at the set of pictures on any billboard in the game (can see the first one just left of the sink you start off in).

I unpaused the game and found I was staring right at one haha

Conezays

FYI there is a puzzle in this game that requires being able to read Chinese. I had to look up a walk through after stumbling about for hours. I think it might have been over looked by the dev.

Can you spoiler tag where and when this is? Thanks.

My physical copy should be arriving today or tomorrow so I'll post some pictures for those interested.

tonypark

Thats weird... isn't that a korean game?
Surprised it passed localisation like that.

Eridani

I managed to solve that puzzle without much issue even without knowing Chinese, so I don't think it's a huge problem. I thought it was one of the easier puzzles honestly – some of the later ones were much harder.

It seemed pretty clear that you had to find the 4 numbers hidden in the writing, and after seeing that each symbol in the group appears twice the solution seemed pretty obvious.

h0tp0ck3t

I managed to solve that puzzle without much issue even without knowing Chinese, so I don't think it's a huge problem. I thought it was one of the easier puzzles honestly – some of the later ones were much harder.

I had the worst time with the damn
Metronome/Morse Code
puzzle for one of the ghost entries. :(

Zambatoh

Does anyone know what you're supposed to do with the music room?
I cannot for the life of me figure what I'm supposed to do here.

edit: nvm. I figured it out somehow. Now I'm having trouble getting into the art room.

Zareka

Maybe I've just missed it the past couple times, but is it just me or is the janitor dead silent? I've been playing this game in 20-30 minute bursts the past few days (because I'm chicken and can't handle any more) but whenever I bump into the guy he isn't making any sound. I have to look for his flash light and most of the time, if I can see that, it's too late.

I think I've heard his keys once but I was practically on top of him in a stairwell.

Edit: alright I heard it, opened a door and he was walking out of a stairwell into another corridor. Fair enough. Crouch down, take one step and his freakin bat hearing sends him from the other building right back to me. The hell man?

Conezays

Beware minor (?) spoilers (mentions some character names) regarding soundtrack tracklisting. Posted thumbnails just in case. The order was from videogamesplus.ca for what it's worth. Cheers!

Orb

Its the 29th, now just gotta wait for whenever the hell they decide to put the fuckin page up

Still salty about that last minute delay

Eridani

How scary is everyone finding this?

I didn't really find it very scary. It has a really tense atmosphere, but the main source of scariness (the janitor) quickly becomes more annoying then scary due to how annoying it is to deal with him. The atmosphere really is great though.

For comparison, I thought SOMA was much scarier then this, and that's a game I often see described as "not scary at all" and "barely a horror game".

Orb

I didn't really find it very scary. It has a really tense atmosphere, but the main source of scariness (the janitor) quickly becomes more annoying then scary due to how annoying it is to deal with him. The atmosphere really is great though.

For comparison, I thought SOMA was much scarier then this, and that's a game I often see described as "not scary at all" and "barely a horror game".
This comes down to just what people find scary, really. SOMA was a dark, bleak, and extremely oppressive and existerntial experience, and people more effected by that will find that scarier when they can find asian horror tropes whatever, and vice versa.

I personally am more scared of japanese horror, and this is korean so it will inevitably have the same amount of, if not more, shit that ive never seen before(hopefully)

Eridani

This comes down to just what people find scary, really. SOMA was a dark, bleak, and extremely oppressive and existerntial experience, and people more effected by that will find that scarier when they can find asian horror tropes whatever, and vice versa.

I personally am more scared of japanese horror, and this is korean so it will inevitably have the same amount of, if not more, shit that ive never seen before(hopefully)

It's obviously subjective yes. To elaborate on SOMA though, it wasn't the "extremely oppressive and existential experience" I found scary. That's the common opinion people have about SOMA - terrifying existential themes, but not very scary otherwise. On the other hand, it was the moment to moment horror (ie. evading the monsters and whatnot) that was scary as hell for me, and that's something I rarely hear from people.

White day felt less scary in that respect, since the main "monster" is just such a pain to deal with, so his appearances quickly turned from being scary to just being frustrating. I don't think it matters much in the end, because the horror atmosphere remains strong throughout the game, and that's what really matters to me.

Gradon

I preordered with Game and got a soundtrack with my copy. Maybe retailer exclusive?

Oh I pre ordered with Shopto, damn :/

When it comes to scariness I have to agree that the Janitor becomes more frustrating and an annoyance than genuinely scary.

He is unbelievably on top of you with how precise he is / how fast he can catch you. I don't really get a thrill from being chased as much as "oh no here we go again".

Astral

That's my biggest concern regarding this game. In Resident Evil 3, I thought Nemesis was annoying as hell and not at all scary. In Alien Isolation, the Xeno wasn't really scary but it made me feel very tense. It's a completely different feeling than the one I got from, say, Fatal Frame 1 and 2 where I was truly afraid. So with that said, I'm convinced I'll eventually find the janitor annoying or at best tense. How are the ghosts? From streams I've seen it seems to be jump scares very often.

Orb

Finally got it downloading, im ready to play it all night

Im terrible with jumpscares so I hope theres a lot

Orb

I take it back i hate jumpscares and the tension of one maybe happening is killing me

Is whispering the sign something is there?

Edit: got to the first janitor section and uh? Does the game open up a bit more because that was literally a straight line with nowhere i could go to hide/lose him.

A.J.

Banned
So I've been playin this game, but it looks like I've hit a progression blocking bug.
The baby ghost won't except the finished clay doll. Only the death cutscene will play if I approach it with the doll.

So it looks like I can't continue.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

A.J.

Banned
Have you
cooked the doll and then cooled off the doll in the sink? And not walk up to the baby, instead walk up next to it but keep your distance and interact with the hand rather than directly approaching the baby? If you get too close it grabs you.

Huh, thanks. I guess my positioning was off so I always got grabbed.

tonypark

Any tips with the janitor? He sees me crouched in the dark and its getting really onnoying... i always hear the keys when its too late

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
Started playing on normal tonight with the GF. The janitor seems pretty merciless so far. Might start again on easy tomorrow, hopefully its not too different though because we were enjoying the puzzles and atmosphere!

tonypark

Started playing on normal tonight with the GF. The janitor seems pretty merciless so far. Might start again on easy tomorrow, hopefully its not too different though because we were enjoying the puzzles and atmosphere!

I had to go very easy for now because the janitor was frustrating af!
Enjoying the game a lot more and i loved the section after the janitor scene.

I will do another run on normal later to see more content.

Saphirax

Any tips with the janitor? He sees me crouched in the dark and its getting really onnoying... i always hear the keys when its too late

Hide in one of the bathroom stalls. Also, you can see the light from his flashlight way before you can hear him if you look carefully enough. Can also hide behind desks.

Orb

Is the
tree boss
bugged??? Ive died several times and looked online and it says theres a QTE, but nothing shows up and i just die? This game being so niche makes it hard to find any help lmao

Saphirax

Is the
tree boss
bugged??? Ive died several times and looked online and it says theres a QTE, but nothing shows up and i just die? This game being so niche makes it hard to find any help lmao

You need to burn 5 mutated plants before engaging the boss.

Also, found a nice bug in the
New Building
. If you run all the way to the top of the 4th floor (make sure to go up left and not right) the janitor can't follow you. He'll start climbing the stairs and then his pathing will just reset and he'll leave.

Orb

You need to burn 5 mutated plants before engaging the boss.

Also, found a nice bug in the
New Building
. If you run all the way to the 4th floor the janitor can't follow you. He'll start climbing the stairs and then his pathing will just reset and he'll leave.
I did, and then
his arms fall and allow you to pour the solvent in him and is apparently supposed to trigger a QTE, but all it gives me is a cutscene of him grabbing and killing me

Liamc723

I did, and then
his arms fall and allow you to pour the solvent in him and is apparently supposed to trigger a QTE, but all it gives me is a cutscene of him grabbing and killing me

Are you just running up to the tree and hoping for the QTE? You've got to interact with the tree using the solvent, there'll be a prompt.

Orb

Are you just running up to the tree and hoping for the QTE? You've got to interact with the tree using the solvent, there'll be a prompt.
Yeah, it uses the item in a quick scene, it
almost falls dead, character starts walking away, it wakes up again and grabs him, and stabs him. No prompt shows up at all

Orb

Do you have the
Bug spray?
Shit, thats what thats for. On my second most recent try(which was right after i installed the patch) i found that and during the scene out of anticipation of the prompt not appearing i started trying to guess it and the prompt appeared but i fucked it up from the guess and died, but i hadnt thought the bug spray was it and was about to complain again when i did it without finding it just now and died lol

Honestly this would be a cool boss if not for that random item that im pretty surer hasnt been talked about in any note so far. Atleast the solvent was talked about.

Edit: Beat it, fonally.

I really love this game's faux visual novel character cutscenes? Its really neat.

Top Bottom