• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School |OT| Korean Horror Cult Classic Returns

tonypark

Shit, thats what thats for. On my second most recent try(which was right after i installed the patch) i found that and during the scene out of anticipation of the prompt not appearing i started trying to guess it and the prompt appeared but i fucked it up from the guess and died, but i hadnt thought the bug spray was it and was about to complain again when i did it without finding it just now and died lol

Honestly this would be a cool boss if not for that random item that im pretty surer hasnt been talked about in any note so far. Atleast the solvent was talked about.

Yeah some puzzle or elements of that game are really obscure or old school. Gives it a charm at least! Haha.

Saphirax

Shit, thats what thats for. On my second most recent try(which was right after i installed the patch) i found that and during the scene out of anticipation of the prompt not appearing i started trying to guess it and the prompt appeared but i fucked it up from the guess and died, but i hadnt thought the bug spray was it and was about to complain again when i did it without finding it just now and died lol

Honestly this would be a cool boss if not for that random item that im pretty surer hasnt been talked about in any note so far. Atleast the solvent was talked about.

It was mentioned in a note. One about insects I believe.

Orb

Yeah some puzzle or elements of that game are really obscure or old school. Gives it a charm at least! Haha.
Yeah, I can easily forgive it for a lot of the things it did so I wasnt too bothered by it. The time it takes to kill all the
tree eggs
over and over was the more frustrating part.

It was mentioned in a note. One about insects I believe.
The note was in the room with it, so unless youre searching around and exploring under the time limit, you wont find ot easily.

Finally got to play some today and got to
Main Building 2
. Really liking it so far. Some of the puzzles are kinda obscure, and the
chalkboard puzzle
had me stumped for way too long. Looked up how to solve it and was even more confused at first lol. The ghost stories are pretty great too. Also,
the lost and found key
is damn near hidden because of how small it is. lol

Kind of lost on how to get the
combination for the lock in the student council office
. I don't remember there being any notes near that gave a clue.

Can't wait to play more of this. Started on hard mode which I usually don't do and it hasn't been too bad.

eXistor

Started playing this yesterday. Pleasantly surprised at how well it runs on PS4; soplid 60fps and the controls work well. Don't like those dumb janitors at all (or the silly floating ghost faces), they're not scary just annoying. A few more checkpoints would have helped with themor maybe something like a flash to stun them.

Just made it to Main Building 2, so I'm curious to see if the game holds up and becomes scary at all (no scares yet).

When I finally found a combination key in the final area,
you were trapped forever, i.e. can't go back to the work shop
. How was that supposed to work? But then again, there were many optional puzzles I couldn't finish.

I didn't realize that the digital version came out a full month before the physical release. I'm really tempted but am definitely going to buy the disc, so do I want to double dip?

Just got to the
new building
. I was stuck forever on how to get
the art supply code
. I figured I had to do some sort of puzzle. I didn't expect it to be
on the back of the item I just recieved from the piano puzzle
! After that it was smooth sailing. Man this game makes me feel dumb sometimes. xD

Orb

I think im actually stuck lol

Im in main building 2 and have found 1 art piece and nothing else. I see the number translation key in the student department but beyond that im clueless

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Orb

If at the puzzle I think you're at, here's a hint then a further hint.

If you're at the chalkboard with Chinese on it, the key is for all four words you need to find the 'number' character hidden in the word, the number chart shows what each number character looks like, then each word is hiding one number character within its Chinese characters.

If stuck more on the same bit:
While the order of the numbers/words change, the numbers and words are the same each time, I know 2, 4, & 8 are in the combination no matter what (and while I forget, I think the last character is 1), just have to find the order from what's on the chalkboard.
Even with these hints it took forever because the janitor was constantly nearby :/

I really want to like this game, but its just constant confusion after constant confusion and it just makes me feel like im an idiot. Hoperfully WD2 will be less cluttered and obtuse because wow is main building 2 really awful.

decisions

Man I love this game.

I played the original last year with my friends in college and it was a great gaming experience. I'd probably say it's the scariest game I've ever played.

Playing through the remake now with them and we just had to stop playing for the first time. Obviously the game was much more familiar this time around and therefore less scary, but two new things in succession made us take a break:

First there was that instant death in the theatre room where you fought the hair ghost in the original game. I didn't even notice someone was sitting there despite looking at the bottom of the room for a while (because I anticipated something would happen down there due to the former boss battle). Once we noticed someone was there after walking down the steps it was too late.

And where we're at now, which made us stop playing for a bit:

I don't know what's up with this or what triggers it, but we went back to the Old Building in order to do the principal (5 pictures) puzzle now that we had the solution, and there were some claw marks on the wall that I hadn't noticed before so I looked at them expecting them to just be one of those new drawings that you find in the Old Building. But, the lullaby came on and I tried to wait for it to loop but it never seemed to step and it just kept getting louder. This spooked us already...Then I passed the controller and my friend kept walking and we realized the hallway had been extended or was in a loop and the lullaby wouldn't stop. I had already felt like the hallway went on for longer than it did last time so confirming this was totally unnerving.

We took a break for now.

The reason why that part was so effective to us was because it was a perfect example of the subtle horror that has nothing to do with grotesque/violent/unusual imagery but just a situation that makes you go, "Something's not right here". Can't wait to get back to it.

I also love the art style they chose and the direction of the cutscenes - you can tell the team made the most of their budget. The whole section with
So Young in the beginning of the New Building
is as great as it was in the original and feels like a great payoff for getting through the first part of the game.

As some people have been complaining about, yes, despite my love for the game there is no denying it is obtuse at some points and you will get stuck many times which numbs you to the janitor. Just use a guide if you really get stuck, it's not ideal but it doesn't hurt the experience of the game if you use a guide to get you moving in the right direction.

And WHITE DAY 2 IS REAL like what the hell? Awesome.

Orb

Man I love this game.

I played the original last year with my friends in college and it was a great gaming experience. I'd probably say it's the scariest game I've ever played.

Playing through the remake now with them and we just had to stop playing for the first time. Obviously the game was much more familiar this time around and therefore less scary, but two new things in succession made us take a break:

First there was that instant death in the theatre room where you fought the hair ghost in the original game. I didn't even notice someone was sitting there despite looking at the bottom of the room for a while (because I anticipated something would happen down there due to the former boss battle). Once we noticed someone was there after walking down the steps it was too late.

And where we're at now, which made us stop playing for a bit:

I don't know what's up with this or what triggers it, but we went back to the Old Building in order to do the principal (5 pictures) puzzle now that we had the solution, and there were some claw marks on the wall that I hadn't noticed before so I looked at them expecting them to just be one of those new drawings that you find in the Old Building. But, the lullaby came on and I tried to wait for it to loop but it never seemed to step and it just kept getting louder. This spooked us already...Then I passed the controller and my friend kept walking and we realized the hallway had been extended or was in a loop and the lullaby wouldn't stop. I had already felt like the hallway went on for longer than it did last time so confirming this was totally unnerving.

We took a break for now.

The reason why that part was so effective to us was because it was a perfect example of the subtle horror that has nothing to do with grotesque/violent/unusual imagery but just a situation that makes you go, "Something's not right here". Can't wait to get back to it.

I also love the art style they chose and the direction of the cutscenes - you can tell the team made the most of their budget. The whole section with
So Young in the beginning of the New Building
is as great as it was in the original and feels like a great payoff for getting through the first part of the game.

As some people have been complaining about, yes, despite my love for the game there is no denying it is obtuse at some points and you will get stuck many times which numbs you to the janitor. Just use a guide if you really get stuck, it's not ideal but it doesn't hurt the experience of the game if you use a guide to get you moving in the right direction.

And WHITE DAY 2 IS REAL like what the hell? Awesome.
Sad thing is, this game is too niche for guides. Theres guides of the original, which has been inaccurate both times ive used it. The only video walkthroughs are hour long facecam/lp streams which are a chore to look through.

Orb

Finally got passed the piano puzzle and everythings been MUCH better. I think just in general, MB2s puzzles are just really bad, but the boss was pretty great.

Now im in New Building and
holy shit, So Young is just a party member now. Would itg be Sung A if i chose her?

Edit: wow this section after the new building boss is just really bad. There is literally no way anybody could ever know what to do without dying, which makes this fight awfully designed.

Orb

I just beat it, and, hmm. I dont know how to feel about it. I dont think i liked it all that much.

It ended so abruptly, and I never got the chance to back track? After you
get to the new building, the hallway becomes infinite and never lets me return, despite me getting the ways to solve multiple previous puzzles.

I couldnt find half the ghosts, and only found 3 stories, despite me looking through everything as much as possible. How hidden is everything?

I was pumped to see a bunch of new/hidden stuff, but the base game is so obtuse and confusing it makes it almost impossible, and the janitors absolutely ruin the entire thing. Id have enjoyed this so much more with them just completely removed from the game.

Its a very conflicting game that i WANT to go back and replay, but every second i think of hiding from the janitor for several minutes just to get that one extra note makes me want to delete it off my ps4.

Also
i have no idea what i coulda done differently to get the better so young ending, because the ending i got was trash.

tonypark

I just beat it, and, hmm. I dont know how to feel about it. I dont think i liked it all that much.

get to the new building, the hallway becomes infinite and never lets me return, despite me getting the ways to solve multiple previous puzzles.

I couldnt find half the ghosts, and only found 3 stories, despite me looking through everything as much as possible. How hidden is everything?

I was pumped to see a bunch of new/hidden stuff, but the base game is so obtuse and confusing it makes it almost impossible, and the janitors absolutely ruin the entire thing. Id have enjoyed this so much more with them just completely removed from the game.

Its a very conflicting game that i WANT to go back and replay, but every second i think of hiding from the janitor for several minutes just to get that one extra note makes me want to delete it off my ps4.

Also
i have no idea what i coulda done differently to get the better so young ending, because the ending i got was trash.

I feel you.
I really wanted to love this game. I am at the new building at the moment and it seems like it will be more enjoyable then the first part. Running from the janitor in long hallways is...ugh... annoying and hiding sometimes for 2mins or more is just not fun.

How far am I btw?

I am still looking forward to the second entry and maybe i will like the new building a lot more from the layout of it.

pots555

Also

Well, this is not encouraging. Bought it but only played for a few minutes. I hate the head wobbling when you walk but I thought I could push trough it if the game was good enough...Guess it will not happen.

tonypark

I am confused i finished the game but isn't there something else after the new building or something? Thats it? Really? Ugh...

Orb

I am confused i finished the game but isn't there something else after the new building or something? Thats it? Really? Ugh...
I feel like theres a shitton of optional stuff the game REFUSED to let me see, and its a bummer. Theres so much potential here that im kinda still excited for 2/Swan Song, but my patience for this one ran out halfway through.

This makes me sad that DreadOut never caame to consoles, because a lot of things in this remind me of what ive seen of DreadOut, but not as interesting.

Orb

Well, this is not encouraging. Bought it but only played for a few minutes. I hate the head wobbling when you walk but I thought I could push trough it if the game was good enough...Guess it will not happen.
I mean, i just really dont like the main hide and seek mechanic, so if youre fine with that you might like it much more than me

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Gradon

The Janitor is pissing me off more than anything in the
New Bulding.

It's so annoying if he sees me I have to bail to the top floor and wait like 15 minutes for him to make it to the ground floor...

The Janitor is pissing me off more than anything in the
New Bulding.

It's so annoying if he sees me I have to bail to the top floor and wait like 15 minutes for him to make it to the ground floor...

This right here might be the thing that's kind of preventing me from playing again lol.

Gradon

This right here might be the thing that's kind of preventing me from playing again lol.

Ended up finding an exploit / bug somewhat, running to the
Music Appreciation Room
and dying
to the crying ghost
will despawn him until another cutscene starts.

Man some of the puzzles in this game... I'm in the student department office
trying to decode the password to the principle's office but this puzzle doesn't make any sense. The characters on the board and the characters on the note are completely different so I have no idea how I'm suppose to solve this without understanding the characters.

Anung

Un Rama
Man some of the puzzles in this game... I'm in the student department office
trying to decode the password to the principle's office but this puzzle doesn't make any sense. The characters on the board and the characters on the note are completely different so I have no idea how I'm suppose to solve this without understanding the characters.

This is the puzzle that stopped me playing and I haven't been back.

This is the puzzle that stopped me playing and I haven't been back.

It sucks because I was really enjoying the game, but idk how it expects me to proceed. Doesn't look like there's any guides for the remake yet and even if there were apparently this puzzle is randomized so it wouldn't have mattered anyways :/

simtmb

Finished this last night on hard, lovely game and a fairly solid remake overall. I still feel the janitors add nothing to the base game, so I would delete them honestly, and with the puzzles and side-content as they are this would encourage further exploration.

The original truly was ahead of it's time and parts of this are delightfully old-school. I feel it is at it's best with the numerous puzzles, no matter how obtuse they may be.

For the student department puzzle
that's visible lights off, lighter on
with the note of numbers and corresponding kanji:
On the chalkboard, 4 sets, 3 in each set, ignore the common middle one and look at the first and third only. The number for each one is represented by the strokes/kanji number that is removed from the first character which results in the third. Hope this makes sense.

Astral

So if I liked Alien Isolation will I like this? I was interested in this game ever since I first heard of it years ago but now I'm afraid the Janitor is gonna be more annoying than scary and that the game is gonna mostly rely on jump scares. The Xeno was annoying at times but the game gave you tools to make encounters less tedious. This doesn't seem to have that. About the scares, I played the original for like 10 minutes before I noped the fuck out because of the shiver down my spine I felt when I heard the scratching noises of the floating head ghost. I think ghosts are scary as hell. I love the Fatal Frame series because some of the ghost designs and encounters are extremely unsettling. I'm wondering how many different ghosts this game has and if they're used in interesting ways other than ooga booga.

Gradon

So there was an update.

I joked with my boyfriend "Patch notes: make the Janitor less annoying"

The patch notes?

Fixed Janitor AI related balancing (to Lower the difficulty) and bugs.

I laughed.

Dusk Golem

Zutrax

They just released a fucking huge patch for White Day on PC (both huge in size and content).

The biggest additions to the update is they changed the Floating Had Ghost to function like she did in the original game rather than she did previously in the remake (ie she's now always loaded on the map and slowly coming towards you rather than spawning at random and circling you for a bit), they re-balanced and changed the Janitor's behaviors on each difficulty, they fixed a few bugs with mouse support on choosing menus, they added new unlockable costumes (not DLC, but an new set of unlockable costumes for each character) which is their low polygon models from the original 2001 game, they added Chinese support, they added new functions to the easier difficulties to make them easier, a shortcut key for the map was added, and various bugs were fixed.

Neat, almost makes me a bit happy the Amazon release for some reason was delayed by an entire month. Excited to finally get around to this in two days.

How is the PC port? I was considering waiting on the physical Amazon release for PS4, not really expecting much from the PC release, but it sounds like it's getting a good amount of support.

Eridani

How is the PC port? I was considering waiting on the physical Amazon release for PS4, not really expecting much from the PC release, but it sounds like it's getting a good amount of support.

The PC port is fine. I had some minor graphical issues, but there were no real problems apart from that. Well, apart from the fact that it was impossible to scroll through notes with a mouse and keyboard at release, but that got fixed extremely quickly.

And yeah, there's a surprising amount of support and patches for the game. Almost makes me wish I waited, because that latest patch seems to make some really good changes.

Finally got my physical copy through Amazon. I'm excited to try this out this weekend with some friends; I've been wanting to play this for a long time so I'm happy they remade it.

Meted

How is the Ps4 version? not sure if i should get this for Ps4 or Pc, heard there is little to no patches on Ps4

Luminaire

How is the Ps4 version? not sure if i should get this for Ps4 or Pc, heard there is little to no patches on Ps4

Gamepad sucks on PC and the menu doesn't seem to know the mouse even exists. All the inventory stuff is practically keyboard only last I played. Also I notice a weird hitching that kinda gives away when something is going to happen, as if it's loading in. Dunno if it's my HDD or what.

bronk

Banned
Oh man. Im not even gonna open it then. The head wobbling will make me barf. Im sad I can't play it. Lol. I have to look these things up before i buy.

petran79

Banned
Game price is a little steep and reviews are mixed. Will wait for a discount.
I mean,RE4 and Corpse Party were
8-10 Euro cheaper than this

Old fan patched version plays still fine fortunately

Zutrax

Finally got this and played it on October first in celebration of Halloween.

I love it so far, I never played the original, but this game is terrifying and I really enjoy this hide and seek/puzzle solving style of gameplay. It feels like a big budget version of those horror RPG Maker titles that all released, or Corpse Party or something of that sort. It's incredibly enjoyable and the ghosts threw me for a loop the first time I encountered one while hiding in a bathroom stall.

I beat the first "boss" and I have one question regarding the gameplay itself. Is there any indication on when I'm free to not worry about the janitor, does he "de-spawn" and if so how can I tell exactly? I've run into a couple scenarios where he just walks out of the room I'm hiding in and kinda just patrols around the area and I can't really do much but sprint past him and hope he doesn't catch me and hide somewhere else to get where I'm going.

I'm playing on medium mode by the way.

I've been playing for a few days and I'm really enjoying this so far. The janitors haven't been so bad for me yet, but I feel like they don't need to exist. I just got to the auditorium so I think I may not see them again for a while, thankfully.

Also
random jpeg flying face girl
is annoying as hell. Is there anyway to stop her from running into you?

And I heard you have to play this on hard or higher to see all the ghosts; is that true?

Moraizen

As mentioned before, the PC has been receiving patches (version 1.07 as of now).

How are things on the PS4 front? I'm thinking of getting it, but I've read that the console version has been a bit forgotten patchwise.

Anyone able to confirm this? I assume that if the PS4 version has the recently released retro costumes, then it should be on par with the PC version. PS4 patch notes would be welcome :^)

Wollan

I started playing this tonight and I'm having plenty of fun. It's nice to actually play a free-form horror game that doesn't get in the way of gameplay, doesn't ever load, runs at 60fps and with good straight-forward mechanics.

I had one section of frustration which was the first time puzzle. I ran out of ideas and got my first Game Over.
Reading a guide online now I see that I shouldn't have saved that safe in the gym room for after... I think they could have done a better job in this case and have had it in a laboratory room as it would make more logical sense for me to dig deeper there. I was right in assuming that I needed the bug spray somehow but seems like first step is to get the acid... from the gym room safe.

It has a nice level of creepiness so far. Especially the ambient sound effects are getting to me a little bit as well as reading notes about local ghost stories which puts me more on the edge in regards to what I will find.

How are things on the PS4 front? I'm thinking of getting it, but I've read that the console version has been a bit forgotten patchwise.

Anyone able to confirm this? I assume that if the PS4 version has the recently released retro costumes, then it should be on par with the PC version. PS4 patch notes would be welcome :^)
Reading the patch notes (1.03) on my PS4 and it seems like it's up to date with PC version.
Mentions adjusted Janitor AI, new costumes added (retro outfit), Floating Ghost Head adjustments etc.

Top Bottom