• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House advisors urged Trudeau to help talk Trump down from scrapping NAFTA

jambo

justin_trudeau.jpg

you're welcome NAFTA

“I've been driving a Lincoln since long before anybody paid me to."

Let's trade leaders for a week, Canada. As a bonus we'll lift the lumber tariffs and I promise we won't try to keep him afterwards. We just want the feel of a president even if only for a short while.

Hey you guys had a cool President for 8 years who did mic drops on stage while we had Harper with the personality of a telephone pole.

It's our turn to have a hip cool, leader.

FairyD

I can just imagine Trudeau thinking, "this isn't my fucking job man," while he has to do it anyway and cusses under his breath.

GamerSoul

This is just... sad. It's like when your parents take some of those crappy school chocolate bars you're selling to work, but end up buying like 10 bars from the box themselves to make you feel better about yourself.

I can just imagine Trudeau thinking, "this isn't my fucking job man," while he has to do it anyway and cusses under his breath.

Well preserving NAFTA helps his country so it kind of is.

It's not Merkel's job to educate Trump either, but it seems the rest of the world has to band together here.

I just want a world leader talking about Trump near a hot mic. Just one world leader. I can hope that they'll just blister the dude knowingly during an interview, but that's too much to expect. But unknowingly? Just one time. Please.

Gero

I wonder what Mexico has to say about this?? I'm willing to bet they are going to offer Canada something...

Leeness

Sorry, let me translate that into Canadian:

"I'm sorry, but I don't believe this is my job."

But no. Babysitting other world leaders is not in Trudeau's job description .

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just want a world leader talking about Trump near a hot mic. Just one world leader. I can hope that they'll just blister the dude knowingly during an interview, but that's too much to expect. But unknowingly? Just one time. Please.
Why do you want Trump to launch an attack?

Unfortunately we wont get this until after he is out of power. Until then its faux-passive-aggressive-ass-kissing

Opto

Banned
I'd be surprised if all the developed countries in the world aren't formulating pitches on trade deals that inflate trump's ego while strip mining the US bare.

gabbo

I wonder what Mexico has to say about this?? I'm willing to bet they are going to offer Canada something...

It'a already pretty well reported that we're working with them on keeping Trump's tiny little hands away from NAFTA

Madness

Is this even legal?

Are they allowed to contact a foreign government without permission and have them intervene like that?

Nope. But just shows how crazy things are. There is no coming back from this Presidency. You Americans are a laughingstock in the eyes of the world. White house staff calling a foreign leader to help stop their President from doing something brash. Lol you cannot make this up.

Canada is just going to increase trade relations with Europe and Asia to cover their bases.

Trump is unhinged. The Western world is just going to ignore him for 4 years and work around the US and not with the US until 2020

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Canada is just going to increase trade relations with Europe and Asia to cover their bases.

Trump is unhinged. The Western world is just going to ignore him for 4 years and work around the US and not with the US until 2020

Easier said than done. If Canada could sign better deals it would have a long time ago. Now it's in a worst position to negotiate since everyone knows Canada is desperately looking to diversify, so they'll get lower offers.

If Trump doesn't change course wait till he sets his sight on Canadian car makers.

Most Americans didn't vote for this turd.

The sample applies for Germans and Hitler, in fact he got less votes (in %) than Trump did. Didn't work as an excuse back then, doesn't work today. America as a whole is to blame for making Trump happen. You're the baddies now, or, at the very least, the laughing stock of this world.

i gotta say as a non-American observer that Trump comes off as a REALLY weak and spineless leader. wasn't he supposed to be some super duper alpha male who knows his shit and gets things done?

instead he's getting lectured by other less powerful world leaders and he's like "oh okay.." and just backs down. what a loser. a total embarrassment, and no bomb he can drop is big enough to obscure that. his staggering incompetence is absolutely clear to the whole world. most of us cannot believe Americans elected a president significantly dumber than even Bush 2..

Top Bottom