• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
s09.jpg

whiteknight-boxart.jpg

Characters
Leonard - The main character.
leonard.jpg

Cisna - Princess of Balandor.
cisna.jpg

Yulie - A girl from Leonard's village.
yulie.jpg

Eldore - Old guy.
4.jpg

Dregias - The main villain.
8.jpg

WKC confirmed to have trophies.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/09/tgs-08-white-knight-chronicles-media-event/

Official name, obviously since it's being posted on the SCEA blog like that...

Just a few minutes ago, one of the most anticipated games of Tokyo Game Show was formally unveiled to the media: White Knight Chronicles (called Shirokishi here in Japan). I sat in on the session and, um, chronicled it for you here:

Kentaro Motomura, Producer of White Knight Chronicles, first runs down some key points – Level-5 created this RPG especially for the PLAYSTATION 3, with a key differentiating element of a transforming hero. They’re trying to do something new with this mechanic. You can play solo, or in a group of up to 4 online (more on that later).

Motomura-san gives a quick rundown of the story and then plays a trailer detailing these scenes: During the princess of Balandor’s coming of age ceremony, a group known as the “Wizard” raids the kingdom looking for the power of “Knight.”

A young man named Leonard escapes into a cellar and finds a mysterious set of armor, which transforms him into the White Knight, and he defeates the Wizard’s enormous monster. However, the princess was kidnapped during the battle. Leonard sets off with his newfound power to find the kidnapped princess.

The trailer also reveals a number of other characters, huge beastly monsters, even larger armored creatures, and Leonard’s transformation into the titular White Knight (who is clearly a bad ass). The trailer concludes with a bat-winged airship flapping off into the stratosphere.

Motomura-san now describes the concept of the world – an authentic fantasy world created on an enormous scale. One of the characteristics is that there are lot of enormous creatures in the game, such as a monster so large, it has a town on its back.

Next, character transformation designs are shown – the White Knight, the Black Knight, and the Dragon Knight, which has a pair of wings. All are huge (7 meters high).

More details on who these powerful characters are *before* they transform: Leonard is a young man who works for a wine merchant before being drawn into the events detailed above. Cisna is the aforementioned princess. Yulie and Eldore provide support to Leonard. Yulie is a childhood friend of Leonard, while Eldore is a mysterious warrior lending advice to Leonard.

There are many more major foes shown as well.

OK, now what you were really pining for: the Battle System. Players can freely register commands into the “function palettes”. You can create and name your own combos to be used in an active-time battle using simple controls. Many, many combinations are possible.

Motomura-san talks more about the Knights for which the game is named. Sometimes you (and your friends) are going to come face-to-face with incredibly large enemies, impervious to most of your attacks. But you’ll likely want to transform into one of the huge Knight characters. But it’s possible to fight successfully with a mix of small and transformed warriors.

There will be significant character customization in WKC as well. The created avatar will take part in the epic story Leonard’s companion

Online vs offline mode: When offline, Leonard is the main character and plays through the story. When online, up to 4 players cooperate to battle as their created character. A video demonstrates a number of characters traveling together through the countryside, the customization options. Male and female characters are shown, with vastly different looks. The type of character (warrior, magic user, etc) is customizable as well. Players can invite others from within the game, and another joins.

The group is then shown taking on a huge troll with a giant club. More areas are then shown, countryside, towns and castles, and other vistas and landscapes.

Now Motomura-san explains the fusion of offline and online modes. Players share money, items, and levels that are earned in one mode into the other. Motomura-san mentions that there are many more new elements to this that will be revealed later.

During the Q&A, Motomura-san assures “a huge number” of online quests, and reiterates that it’s different from the offline “story” mode. It’s basically 2 RPGs in one title.

Shirokishi hits Japan on Christmas Day. There’s not yet a set release date for North America or Europe, but you can be sure we’ll announce that information on the PlayStation.Blog when it happens. Look for more on White Knight Chronicles throughout TGS – we’ll be sure to link out to the best coverage. In the meantime, we’ve got lots of screens here.

256bbb8.jpg

657393.jpg

1zg8e44.jpg

3320wa1.jpg

2581p4n.jpg

2liijkk.jpg

Conference videos, thanks to Metalmurphy:
http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/tgs08/sp/Session_Shirokishi01.wmv
http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/tgs08/sp/Session_Shirokishi02.wmv
http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/tgs08/sp/Session_Shirokishi03.wmv

Official website updated:
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/shirokishi/

That second batch are better IMO.

Those field pics from the OP are a jaggified mess, and bland as hell at that.

I love the pics of the big baddies though.

The one with the enemy floating in the air is ace. The theme more than the actual pic.

Wag

Well at least we've got confirmation that we'll be getting it in the States now. Something that we sort of had before, but not so firmly.

"Froggy and a courtin' he did ride, uh' huh, uh' huh..."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gregor7777 said:
Those field pics from the OP are a jaggified mess, and bland as hell at that.

Those are from the online mode, which undoubtedly will have lesser graphics.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I will buy this day one, especially because it seems like the console continues to leave the high quality JPRG world to one game, Valkyria Chronicles.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wag said:
Well at least we've got confirmation that we'll be getting it in the States now. Something that we sort of had before, but not so firmly.

"Froggy and a courtin' he did ride, uh' huh, uh' huh..."

You doubted it?

Kagari said:

Ah, yeah that would be an explanation. Kind of a mixed bag really. I want to see gameplay footage of fighting one of these giant baddies. If that's done right, it would make the game for me.

I'm a sucker for giant bosses.

Teknoman

Kagari said:

Still looks pretty good for an online mode in a console RPG.

Man...if the single player kicks ass and the online mode is like PSO on steroids...:D :D

harSon

Banned
I was a lot more exited for this game 1-2 years ago, I'm not exactly sure why but my hype has dwindled quite a bit. Nothing regarding the game really grabs me except for the recently announced online component. Hopefully the game turns out better then I'm expecting, Level 5 has made some real gems in my eyes. The unneeded secrecy months before release is not helping :(

Anyone know of a different source to the Jeux Video WKC footage? The site is intolerably slow and I hear that footage is nice.

Edit: This screenshot is pretty nice :D

2928126700_1fbe5fcaff.jpg

WinFonda

DMPrince said:
no clue. what was the one that we saw earlier from jeuxvideo considered one?
Yeah, and there's also a story/cinematic trailer that was floating around. Surprisingly and saddeningly there's been no direct feed of it though. The CG was eye blistering amazing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WinFonda said:
Yeah, and there's also a story/cinematic trailer that was floating around. Surprisingly and saddeningly there's been no direct feed of it though. The CG was eye blistering amazing.

No kidding.

-Kh-

Banned
Well, here is another awesome justification to have a PS3.

I agree that the greaphics aren't the biggest draw of the game, however we can expect something very fun out of it, well at least for non-L5-haters.

I hope in the online mode, the combat system won't be heavily based on a Tank/Support/DD setup (like in FFXI), that would certainly be an issue sometimes when forming groups.

jiggle

-Kh- said:
I hope in the online mode, the combat system won't be heavily based on a Tank/Support/DD setup (like in FFXI), that would certainly be an issue sometimes when forming groups.

It won't be a problem if leveling jobs doesn't require too much grinding. Since it's not a MMORPG, i doubt it would have bad grinds...

want more info on its job system though

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anybody else getting a Monster Hunter vibe from the online mode? I could totally see myself playing online exclusively, just taking down bosses with buddies online for loot. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
sykoex said:
Anybody else getting a Monster Hunter vibe from the online mode? I could totally see myself playing online exclusively, just taking down bosses with buddies online for loot. :D

Haha, well, the director is comparing it to FF, DQ and Monster Hunter...

Lightning

Banned
I want to see some gameplay footage for WKC... I want to check the combat system out since it's my only concern with the game at this point. I will buy anyway though since I am loving everything else about the game anyway. :lol

jax (old)

Banned
I missed this thread.

looks super good. Didn't know about the online mode - if its got a MMO aspect, that makes the graphics EVEN MOAR amazing.

Sold.

LOL @ the gamekyo video. so bad.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
the portable games gave me so much faith in Level 5 that I have a hard time thinking this will not be the top RPG until FFXIII comes out.

Top Bottom