• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sleep time for now. I'll update the OP with new information and the direct feed trailer whenever that rolls in, in the morning.

the publisher revealed that Level 5's White Knight Story is expected to launch during the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2009.

However, uncertainty was added to the equation when White Knight Stories was referred to by its Japanese moniker--Shirokishi Monogatari--and it was not immediately clear whether the game would be available in all regions during that time frame.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193056.html

hope they thought about it. and will have at least an english version out in time. Gonna bug Jeff or some guy at SCEA to see about it ;o

Now Motomura-san explains the fusion of offline and online modes. Players share money, items, and levels that are earned in one mode into the other. Motomura-san mentions that there are many more new elements to this that will be revealed later.

wait. share levels? do they mean exp? or actual player levels?

Awntawn

DMPrince said:

hope they thought about it. and will have at least an english version out in time. Gonna bug Jeff or some guy at SCEA to see about it ;o

Why did you post a news article from June? It's already been announced that this is launching in Japan on Christmas Day this year. Nothing is known about a US release at all 3;

Ploid 3.0

DMPrince said:

Actually I think that mean that the players will share the levels of their own single player games with their multiplayer sessions. For example, your avatar is level 33 in the quest mode, when you go to online mode he's still level 33, and can use the items your quest mode group gathered. It makes sense to do it that way. You can grind solo, or with friends.

Awntawn said:
Why did you post a news article from June? It's already been announced that this is launching in Japan on Christmas Day this year. Nothing is known about a US release at all 3;

I know about Japan. Thought since well Kagari Mentioned SCE World Wide studio, wanted to know if they were going to have a global release [with different dates] but still within this Fiscal Year.

Actually I think that mean that the players will share the levels of their own single player games with their multiplayer sessions. For example, your avatar is level 33 in the quest mode, when you go to online mode he's still level 33, and can use the items your quest mode group gathered. It makes sense to do it that way. You can grind solo, or with friends.

make sense.

antiloop said:
Videos?

Anyway, why do all the males look so ugly... Especially the hero.

Gamekyo has one but it's terrible.

I'm hoping that this game has equipment that actually changes the appearance of your character since that's a major thing in MMOs. It helps diversify your character. Also, I hope that the multi-player mode has a lot of content associated with it. Maybe have a few secret dungeons or quests unlockable only through the single player mode. That and I hope that the single player mode hasn't been compromised due to the multi-player mode. I'm still expecting a pretty epic journey even though the story information doesn't sound too intriguing to me. More information regarding gameplay especially about the combat and character progression needs to be released. I wonder if you can choose the class of your character which will define the list of abilities available to him/her. Or maybe some type of stat distribution system upon levelling up could work too. Anyways, I'm sure more information will come out as we get closer to the Japanese launch date.

Unfortunately, I'm not too impressed with the graphics so far. Character models and the vistas I've seen leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully the sense of scale is captured perfectly. The CG cut-scenes look very impressive but I'm still a bit concerned how it's going to translate to real-time.

jiggle

cvkpaladin said:
I'm hoping that this game has equipment that actually changes the appearance of your character since that's a major thing in MMOs. It helps diversify your character.

It does

Rpgmonkey

Battle system sounds fun as long as it's faster than that gameplay video from a while ago.

If the English release is March, I'm either importing it or skipping it until I have the time.

Steroyd

poundit.gif

Durante

I don't get the negativity displayed by some regarding the graphics of this game. Even the online mode screenshots look better (technically) than most any JRPG released so far. I guess it could be the art style, personally I like it though.

StuBurns

Banned
Durante said:
I don't get the negativity displayed by some regarding the graphics of this game. Even the online mode screenshots look better (technically) than most any JRPG released so far. I guess it could be the art style, personally I like it though.
Tech wise I think it's competent, but art is a little 'juvenile', for lack of a better word.

Gantz

Banned
Anyone know the US release date yet? Early 2010 most likely? Will my PS3 be gathering dust for another year. WKS is the only reason I bought a PS3 right now.

fanboi

Banned
Gantz said:
Anyone know the US release date yet? Early 2010 most likely? Will my PS3 be gathering dust for another year. WKS is the only reason I bought a PS3 right now.

Why collect dust when awsome games are incoming!?

Ajax

Banned
fanboi said:
Why collect dust when awsome games are incoming!?

Because Gantz is a well known fanboy who came here just to troll PS3 and probably doesn't even care about WKC.

Frogs.
They cant help themselves can they?
Effin frogs...

But, more seriously, i'm a lil' confused on the online thing. Is it played on an instance of a "level"? Or is it online coop through a campaign/entire gameworld?

Like i said in another thread, they should do the online like Guild Wars :O

MMO's with great storylines are epic!

Anyway, it looks great, and the PS3 is in need of a good rpg :S

Woke up to find the video isn't there. [at least i got my LBP videos :lol]

at least the regular site is back up on the playstation site. with updated information [story, character, world, battle, and product's page]

The world's images.. just have concept art? why?!! Wanted to see the town in it's full glory.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So my question is, if we only use the custom character in online mode, and levels/equipment carry over... won't he be overpowered in comparasion to the other party members? Also what requirements are there to jump into the Knights? Can you permanently stay in the Knight?

stuburns said:
Tech wise I think it's competent, but art is a little 'juvenile', for lack of a better word.

uh are think you are talking junk...the character art is nothing special, but personally I think some of the enemy art and the world design especially seems better than any other rpg this gen...

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
uh are think you are talking junk...the character art is nothing special, but personally I think some of the enemy art and the world design especially seems better than any other rpg this gen...
Well it's only an opinion, but I think giant green talking frogs can be classified as juvenile.

EDIT: Turns out it's purple, not that it changes my opinion.
EDIT2: No, there are purple and green ones.

Steroyd

Kinitari said:
So my question is, if we only use the custom character in online mode, and levels/equipment carry over... won't he be overpowered in comparasion to the other party members?

It's a JRPG that's no different than grinding, except it'll be a social event online rather than locked up in a dark room for 10 hours killing endless amounts of rats in a sewer.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Steroyd said:
It's a JRPG that's no different than grinding, except it'll be a social event online rather than locked up in a dark room for 10 hours killing endless amounts of rats in a sewer.
Yes, now you'll be locked up in a dark room for 10 hours killing endless amounts of rats in a sewer with other people who are doing the same!

hteng

Banned
Sage00 said:
Yes, now you'll be locked up in a dark room for 10 hours killing endless amounts of rats in a sewer with other people who are doing the same!

lol damit beaten, i was gonna post the exact same thing :lol

stuburns said:
Well it's only an opinion, but I think giant green talking frogs can be classified as juvenile.

EDIT: Turns out it's purple, not that it changes my opinion.
EDIT2: No, there are purple and green ones.

yeah I understand and respect that it is your opinion...however, everyone here seems to just hate the character design, where as I think alot of the art involving other aspects of the game is excellent, and cant be said to be juvenile in the slightest...and of course the cg work is absolutely amazing...I want to see a movie with those aesthetics

Kinitari said:
So my question is, if we only use the custom character in online mode, and levels/equipment carry over... won't he be overpowered in comparasion to the other party members? Also what requirements are there to jump into the Knights? Can you permanently stay in the Knight?

I would imagine you can only get to certain multiplayer areas by progressing in the single player story. So while you can kill rats for a few years that give you a few XP until you're level 99 online off the bat, you're probably better off just killing a few rats online until you level up a little and progress the story and open a new area to level up in.

I hate anthropomorphism of any kind in RPGs. I really wish Level 5 would get away from this. I do not want to talk to frogs, or cat people, or ducks, or rabbits, or any of that shit.

The game will still be awesome however, and other than the mild case of anthropomorphism I don't think it looks all that juvenile.

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
yeah I understand and respect that it is your opinion...however, everyone here seems to just hate the character design, where as I think alot of the art involving other aspects of the game is excellent, and cant be said to be juvenile in the slightest...and of course the cg work is absolutely amazing...I want to see a movie with those aesthetics
I agree, the CG at the start of the TGS trailer is some of the best I've seen. And the world art is very nice. But it's a role playing game, for me, they're about being immersed in a universe, it's culture, it's people. Talking purple frogs are just beyond where I can go, and all the character art is horrible. Probably because it's customizable. But it's bad. You can't really expect customizable characters to look as good ones a professional has spent months designing.

It's no good just having good world art, it needs good character art as well.
It's disappointing SO4 suffers from the exact same thing, the world is stunning, the characters are a joke. This generation is looking like a one RPG future to me.

JaMarco

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I hate anthropomorphism of any kind in RPGs. I really wish Level 5 would get away from this. I do not want to talk to frogs, or cat people, or ducks, or rabbits, or any of that shit.
agreed

tehbear

stuburns said:
It's disappointing SO4 suffers from the exact same thing, the world is stunning, the characters are a joke. This generation is looking like a one RPG future to me.

At least you can't see their creepy faces while fighting.

stuburns said:
I agree, the CG at the start of the TGS trailer is some of the best I've seen. And the world art is very nice. But it's a role playing game, for me, they're about being immersed in a universe, it's culture, it's people. Talking purple frogs are just beyond where I can go, and all the character art is horrible. Probably because it's customizable. But it's bad. You can't really expect customizable characters to look as good ones a professional has spent months designing.

pretty close for me as well...versus and Xiii, plus WKS are about the only rpgs I have much hype for, away from hand helds anyway...Yakuza 3 is kind of rpg too, and that looks pretty damn amazing

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
pretty close for me as well...versus and Xiii, plus WKS are about the only rpgs I have much hype for, away from hand helds anyway...Yakuza 3 is kind of rpg too, and that looks pretty damn amazing
I was alluding to FFXIII yeah, and I'm more excited for VersusXIII then anything (except Trico), but I don't really count it because it's kind of an action game as apparently.

Namomura

The game is not playable at TGS 2008 (shame on you Level 5, it was playable at TGS 2007 !), so you won't see any gameplay video from the show floor.

Top Bottom