• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

StuBurns

Banned
Darkman M said:
We'll thats fair, but i found games like Persona 3 & Dragon Quest VIII better then any final Fantasy game of the ps2 era.
I never got around to play Persona, I meant to, and I did like DQ8, forgot about that. I didn't think it was amazing, but yeah it was good.

nelsonroyale said:
haha, I actually thought SH2 was a cheesy ff rip off...actually thats unfair, the game was humorous and had some nice visuals, but the story and antagonists were very very poor...so camp

FFxii and ffx were my two favourite rpgs last gen, but dqviii was pretty damn good as well...very charming
I didn't like XII.

As for SH2 being chessy, it was, but I just loved the art, everything was really cohesive. I loved it.

-Kh- said:
Well if SE announces their next MMO tomorrow, or comes out saying that vs13 will indeed have some kind of 'versus' online mode, are you just going to skip anything else that comes before winter 2010 or later?

So that pretty much would leave out WKC and MH3, and anything else on DS or PSP (and PC)?

Maybe if you just like to play a RPG once in a while so you only pick up the best of the generation or w/e, well that's fine, everyone has their own preferences.
Rapture is already common knowledge. But it's an MMO, I think a traditional single player RPG with co-op elements could be awesome.

If Versus has a 'versus' mode, it wouldn't change my mind either, because being co-operative is totally different to be competitive.

I'll buy any RPG I think has a chance of being great. I said I think of it as a 'one RPG future', not meaning I will only play one, just meaning there is only one I care about. Street Fighter 4 is the only fighting game I care about, I'm still going play as many as I can that are good.

MH3 I will get, I was just talking about PS3/360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
-Kh- said:
Well if SE announces their next MMO tomorrow, or comes out saying that vs13 will indeed have some kind of 'versus' online mode, are you just going to skip anything else that comes before winter 2010 or later?

So that pretty much would leave out WKC and MH3, and anything else on DS or PSP (and PC)?

Maybe if you just like to play a RPG once in a while so you only pick up the best of the generation or w/e, well that's fine, everyone has their own preferences.

I don't think there will be anymore game announcements.

-Kh-

Banned
Kagari said:
I don't think there will be anymore game announcements.

I wasn't talking about the TGS, I was talking in a figurative sense.

stuburns said:
The chasm between Final Fantasy's (by the top team, i.e. not 12 or 9) and all other RPGs is like between a Formula 1 car and a electric go-cart.

Wow...

So you are saying that 9 and 12 (and you pretty much left out 11 by the same logic) are not TOP Final Fantasy games?

I mean... who the hell do you think Hiroyuki Ito (and Matsuno) is? Granted FFXII had its development issues, but it is way far from deserving to be called a weak game.

You pretty much are saying that because Nomura wasn't involved they aren't just as important as the other games, that is something wrong right there.

Now please let's stay on WKC topic.

StuBurns

Banned
-Kh- said:
Wow...

So you are saying that 9 and 12 (and you pretty much left out 11 by the same logic) are not TOP Final Fantasy games?

I mean... who the hell do you think Hiroyuki Ito (and Matsuno) is? Granted FFXII had its development issues, but it is way far from deserving to be called a weak game.

You pretty much are saying that because Nomura wasn't involved they aren't just as important as the other games, that is something wrong right there.

Now please let's stay on WKC topic.
I didn't include 11 because I don't really consider it one.

I'm not saying they are bad games, I'm saying they are still light years behind the others. It's like you're implying I'm saying a 160 mph car is slow because I think a 240 mph car is quicker.

And it's nothing to do with Nomura (well, I love his character design), but KH is wank, so far, I think that's the only thing he's actually headed completely.

But, back on topic, I didn't mean to derail.

Loudninja

TGS 2008: White Knight Chronicles Updated Impressions

The active time-battle system was described as being heavily customizable because you are given a good chunk of commands to work with to create and name your own combos. You are given a palette to work with, and once you have it set up, the controls should be simple and easy. When Leonard is fighting, his gauge will fill, and once it is full, he can transform. Motomura said that there is strategy involved in the battles because you can't always count on transforming. Sometimes the monsters you face will also be very large, and it is possible to defeat them without being oversized.

The presentation also went into the avatar system where you can create your own character and adjust his or her features. There was a lot of customization that could be done so that each character is unique. Your avatar will come in later during the main story, but having an avatar means you can also play with other people's characters online. Through the PlayStation Network, you can link up and play co-operatively with three friends to go on quests. The demo that we saw had a group of adventurers take on a hulking troll. We were told that the data for your avatar is shared online and offline, so everything you earn (money, experience, items) online in quests will stay with you when you play in single-player mode. Quests can only be done with four people, but the online lobby can have up to 16 players. Like other MMOGs, you'll be able to send messages to each other and mess around with character motions.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/whiteknightstory/news.html?sid=6199081&mode=previews

ckeur

Hype for this game has increased. I was really looking forward to it a year or so ago, but due to very little new info and the abundance of great games coming out (and have come out) this year, it died a little.

The online portion looks like it will be a great way to keep the story going, I'm excited.

batbeg

stuburns said:
I didn't include 11 because I don't really consider it one.

I'm not saying they are bad games, I'm saying they are still light years behind the others. It's like you're implying I'm saying a 160 mph car is slow because I think a 240 mph car is quicker.

And it's nothing to do with Nomura (well, I love his character design), but KH is wank, so far, I think that's the only thing he's actually headed completely.

But, back on topic, I didn't mean to derail.

FFIX light years behind the others?

I... just... sweet Jesus.

StuBurns

Banned
batbeg said:
FFIX light years behind the others?

I... just... sweet Jesus.
It's just my opinion, it's based on the world and the characters, obviously gameplay wise it's pretty much the same as the others.

But for someone who has your avatar, I can't imagine you understanding ;-)

WYWY

Seems that their entire TGS PR is focused on the MMO aspect...

I'm curious to know how single-player looks like - if it can even come close to the 1st presentation made years ago - anyone recall the amazing physics and animations shown then? Of weapons and shields actually connecting, of character models actually moving realistically?

Because if we don't have that today in single-player, then it pretty much cements my opinion that Hino - though talented - is also a bag of hot air.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WYWY said:
Seems that their entire TGS PR is focused on the MMO aspect...

I'm curious to know how single-player looks like - if it can even come close to the 1st presentation made years ago - anyone recall the amazing physics and animations shown then? Of weapons and shields actually connecting, of character models actually moving realistically?

Because if we don't have that today in single-player, then it pretty much cements my opinion that Hino - though talented - is also a bag of hot air.

Considering last year at TGS when they had the single player running on demo, the animations looked amazing then... I'd say so.

Shadow780

http://kotaku.com/5062100/where-the-hell-is-white-knight-chronicles

For a game that's been dated Christmas 2008, it's odd that White Knight Chronicles is not playable on the Tokyo Game Show floor. Even odder because the game was playable last year. When asked why the game wasn't in playable form at TGS, a Sony rep declined to comment. Isn't it unusual for a title to be playable one year and unable the year it's getting release? Developer Level-5 hasn't exactly been open about the game. During the White Knight Chronicles Powerpoint event yesterday, the game's producer, Kentaro Motomura, remained tight lipped on key online modes like whether there will be voice chat or not. The game is supposed to be out in 2 and a half months.

Yep I've been wondering that as well. Well at least that guy from Famitsu gets to play it. :lol

Fizzle

Is there any new gameplay footage other than the trailer?

I remember the character models looking spot on compared to the target render but what struck me was the mix of seeing the forest's and the lighting combine, such a beautiful environment, until I noticed the settings kinda took a turn for the worst when I saw the 07 footage. The magic wasn't there no more. :(

Anybody know if they've improved the graphics?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fizzle said:
Is there any new gameplay footage other than the trailer?

I remember the character models looking spot on compared to the target render but what struck me was the mix of seeing the forest's and the lighting combine, such a beautiful environment, until I noticed the settings kinda took a turn for the worst when I saw the 07 footage. The magic wasn't there no more. :(

Anybody know if they've improved the graphics?

The screenshots posted in this thread are from the new version of the game. The do look better than last year's stuff.

My6cats

Banned
First game I am excited about for the PS3. Does anyone know if the Online part will be free for White Knight story? Never got to play Phantasy Star online for free becuase my connection used to be slow in the Dreamcast era. Cureently i don't feel like pay $10.00 for other MMORPGs, but i would lke to experience one.

StuBurns

Banned
My6cats said:
First game I am excited about for the PS3. Does anyone know if the Online part will be free for White Knight story? Never got to play Phantasy Star online for free becuase my connection used to be slow in the Dreamcast era. Cureently i don't feel like pay $10.00 for other MMORPGs, but i would lke to experience one.
I don't know, but I'm guessing it is free. It's not completely co-op, only certain co-op missions, I can't imagine they'd charge for it.

And it's only an attempt to cash in on the MH craze, that's free.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Preview from PS3Fanboy:

White Knight Chronicles has changed a lot since we played it at Tokyo Game Show last year. Our conclusion at the time was that the game would be a gorgeous JRPG with an intriguing, customizable battle system; an exciting prospect for RPG-starved PS3 owners to be sure. However, after today's White Knight Chronicles presentation, we're sure the game has the potential to be much more than that.

A Level-5 employee introduced us to the game's story: It follows a boy and his search for a kidnapped princess slash love interest after discovering a conveniently hidden set of magic armor ... a tad clichéd (even by Japanese standards). In order to demonstrate the game's sense of enormity and scale we were shown a few concept pieces for the game. While rolling plains and towering castles are par for the course when it comes to JRPGs, it's been a while since we've seen an entire town straddled atop an enormous creature.

We covered the battle system quite extensively at TGS last year. We took the opportunity to space out a little while the developers explained how to link character abilities together into combos, using the palette menu and how Leonard can transform into the eponymous White Knight. Not that we were bored -- the battle system was the only thing that really set White Knight Chronicles apart. Until it was revealed that the game would have a four-player online mode, that is.

When online play was announced we assumed it would be a tacked-on extra, a back-of-the-box value add, but the rest of today's presentation centered around this aspect of the game. Even though White Knight Chronicles' Japanese release date is December 25th 2008 – only two and a half months from now – Level-5 wasn't keen on sharing many details of the online mode. Instead, we were given an overview of the feature, which was enough to illustrate that this is more than just an "extra."

16-player in-game lobbies will allow you to team up with up to three other White Knight Chronicles players and participate in instanced quests. Level-5 would not say exactly what form these would take, but they did show a cooperative, arena-style battle against a large monster. Each player's character will look unique, thanks to a deep "Avatar" character customization editor, used in the later parts of the single-player game in order to generate some of Leonard's party members.

Leveling up gives you points with which to buy more skills from a wide variety of different types, allowing you to further customize your character with an individual skill set. These skills – along with your money, items and experience level – will all transfer from the offline game to the online mode. Thanks to an in-game invitation system, you can be called upon at any time, even while in single player. Accepting the invitation saves your data and brings you straight into the online party.

From there you can emote and text chat to your heart's content. You can also check out your party's skills and suggest combo improvements. Is it your buddy's birthday? Head on over to the store and let them pick out a new weapon. Once all that's done and you've assembled an elite team of monster hunters, you can head into the adventure (whatever form they may take). Level-5 were also sure to mention that "further new elements that connect the story and MO elements are to be introduced." (Well, we'd hope so!)

Level-5 seemed content to have only scratched the surface of White Knight Chronicles' online mode, revealing the outline of a feature that, if executed properly, could almost be an entire game in its own right. (Think bundling MGO with Metal Gear Solid 4 ... except without the whole Konami ID debacle.)

A post-presentation Q&A session revealed little more: Level-5 was unable to confirm whether the game would be region locked and was unable to talk about the number, or type, of online modes. All that could be said was that there would be a "huge number" of online modes/levels (oh, is that all?). Sadly, Level-5 has also not yet decided whether to include voice chat in the game. Level-5, here's a hint: are you serious? Do it.

Considering the nation's apparent disinterest in online play, it's interesting that a Japanese developer is one of the first to make such a progressive move in the RPG genre, fusing a single-player RPG with MMO-esque elements. From the sounds of it, this could prolong White Knight Chronicle's life in the same way that multiplayer has prolonged Call Of Duty 4's or Halo 3's, while bringing an increasingly stale genre kicking and screaming into the brave new world of multiplayer gaming. Now make with the details, Level 5. We'll be waiting.

stuburns said:
I don't know, but I'm guessing it is free. It's not completely co-op, only certain co-op missions, I can't imagine they'd charge for it.

And it's only an attempt to cash in on the MH craze, that's free.

true enough, but its funny how people seem to spin things on a negative way on the neogaf hype train...

I could care less about online or co op, but how many other large scale single player jrpgs have such features? some peeps are going to appreciate it...I might even check it, and I have no interest in playing mmos etc...if its free and it will save grinding Im there (maybe)

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
true enough, but its funny how people seem to spin things on a negative way on the neogaf hype train...

I could care less about online or co op, but how many other large scale single player jrpgs have such features? some peeps are going to appreciate it...I might even check it, and I have no interest in playing mmos etc...if its free and it will save grinding Im there (maybe)
I didn't mean to put a negative spin on it. I love co-op gaming, and it's probably enough to get me to buy the game.

stuburns said:
I didn't mean to put a negative spin on it. I love co-op gaming, and it's probably enough to get me to buy the game.

Yeah, like I said I just want to see the single player game. I find it bizarre how they havent even released trailers yet.

Raistlin

slayn said:
eh... I'm actually now starting to lose interest in this. The talk about online multiplayer makes it sound like they are going for a more MMOish type of game rather than a linear RPG.

Really high quality linear rpgs with a focus on story is what I feeling is missing and hurting the ps3, but now it sounds like the focus isn't in that direction.

I think you're misunderstanding 'the talk'.

Lain

I'll state a minority opinion, but I'd wish they wouldn't include voice chat into the (online) game. I despise voice chat. But it's an option that new games need to have. Especially online games.
Anyways, the online mode really makes the game even more exciting in my eyes. Being able to get "called" while playing offline mode and the game saves your session is cool. Reminds me alot of FFXI/PlayOnline when it was firstly being advertised.

Fizzle

slayn said:
eh... I'm actually now starting to lose interest in this. The talk about online multiplayer makes it sound like they are going for a more MMOish type of game rather than a linear RPG.

Really high quality linear rpgs with a focus on story is what I feeling is missing and hurting the ps3, but now it sounds like the focus isn't in that direction.

Seeing Sony's new-found attitude to first-party titles this gen. I know this game won't suck.

What's also boosted my confidence in Level 5 is that Bioshock is just soooooo amazingly good, that Levine said that Jeane D' Arc realistically deserves to be the game of the (last) year.

I expect big things, literally and in quality.

I wonder what sort and how much DLC will be made available for this. I could see DLC addon dungeons and quests. Sort of like the big patches in WoW. It would certainly keep people playing and if it's good enough it could make a mint.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I wonder what sort and how much DLC will be made available for this. I could see DLC addon dungeons and quests. Sort of like the big patches in WoW. It would certainly keep people playing and if it's good enough it could make a mint.

I'm waiting for someone to really step up in this department. Reasonably priced, quality stuff, I mean.

My first hope was Oblivion, and really there's not much there in terms of gameplay addon's like quests. Really just one, plus the expansion. Mass Effect has wholly failed there as well, and that's the real shame because it was supposed to be a big deal.

This is one area of MMO's I wish would successfully make the crossover to console gaming. Large, gameplay orientated DLC for RPGs.

Here's to hoping for WKC.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nolan. said:
Why are they hiding it being played in motion... ?

I mentioned this before, but in one of the magazine interviews, Hino said they were unsure if the game would be playable, probably because they're working overtime to get the game done and out by 12/25.

Fizzle

Nolan. said:
Why are they hiding it being played in motion... ?

I actually want them re-create the moment when they revealed the target render.

It'd be awesome because we now know it's actually real thus doubling the "WOW" factor x 10 more.

-Kh-

Banned
Something that would be amazing for RPGs in the DLC front, is if developers would release 'expansion packs' for them.

I'm not talking about sequels, or retail boxed discs, but DLC that with a good amount of content. So say, every 6-9 months we would be able to expand in the story of the game.

However I'm not talking about leaving the game at something like 60% when being released. The game's core story should be finished, the gameplay experience of the normal game should be the obvious 40-80 (or more) hours depending on the RPG.

Expanding on sidestories for the "what happened after" or it can be used to show some events in the past of the characters or the game's world.

Now, for RPGs that have an online element such at this one, a huge storyline, with a decent amount of new quests, enemies and items, would be appropiate.

Even if it is at the cost of $10-15, if the amount of content is good, the people would get them. Of course free DLC would be great, but you cannot expect too much that way, and it would greatly help to expand the lifetime of the game and keep the series fresh while they are done with a sequel.

Nolan.

-Kh- said:
Something that would be amazing for RPGs in the DLC front, is if developers would release 'expansion packs' for them.

I'm not talking about sequels, or retail boxed discs, but DLC that with a good amount of content. So say, every 6-9 months we would be able to expand in the story of the game.

However I'm not talking about leaving the game at something like 60% when being released. The game's core story should be finished, the gameplay experience of the normal game should be the obvious 40-80 (or more) hours depending on the RPG.

Expanding on sidestories for the "what happened after" or it can be used to show some events in the past of the characters or the game's world.

Now, for RPGs that have an online element such at this one, a huge storyline, with a decent amount of new quests, enemies and items, would be appropiate.

Even if it is at the cost of $10-15, if the amount of content is good, the people would get them. Of course free DLC would be great, but you cannot expect too much that way, and it would greatly help to expand the lifetime of the game and keep the series fresh while they are done with a sequel.

Folklore did this pretty well, then they stopped, I guess there probably wasn't enough of a demand.

-Kh-

Banned
Nolan. said:
Folklore did this pretty well, then they stopped, I guess there probably wasn't enough of a demand.

Oh, I didn't know that. So at least someone has already taken the initiative.

Top Bottom