• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

spwolf

hm, japanese company being innovative with online? Thats pretty good to hear. Of course, then they dont know if they will include basic online feature such as voice chat :D

I think Folklore, Disgaea 3, and Agarest all got DLC in japan. Did the folklore stuff ever come to the US?

Still, it's hard to do DLC right with an RPG, as it pretty much requires that it take place after the main plot is over, which would lead to a far less interesting story.

What would be really awesome is if an RPG was released similar to this, except the core story was episodic. You could play story sections, maybe 10 hours worth or so, and in between you could work on clearing new challenges and dungeons. Sell the game at first with like 30 hours of playtime or so, and a somewhat cliffhanger and/or ambiguous ending and then proceed to tell the story throughout episodes. It would work especially well in contexts like the Suikoden series has, as each episode could be about the battle to take a particular town or territory, and in between you could work on bolstering your army units.

Regardless of how or if they do it with WKC, I think RPG fans in general could be in for a pleasant surprise in the future with this sort of stuff.

mr_nothin

Banned
Why does the game look to be worse than last year's gameplay?
(in terms of how the combat looks and feels and the animation of it)

I know we havent seen all that much fighting gameplay from it this year though....
Even going back and watching last year's footage, it looks better than this year's footage and gets me more excited about the game.

Maybe it's cause it's the online portion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzIWkiHC49o&feature=related

mr_nothin said:
Why does the game look to be worse than last year's gameplay?
(in terms of how the combat looks and feels and the animation of it)

I know we havent seen all that much fighting gameplay from it this year though....
Even going back and watching last year's footage, it looks better than this year's footage and gets me more excited about the game.

Maybe it's cause it's the online portion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzIWkiHC49o&feature=related

yeah. online is ugly. offline should look good.

mr_nothin

Banned
DMPrince said:
yeah. online is ugly. offline should look good.
It just looks alot smoother @ last year's tgs.

I would have rather this had been just a single player game.
That's if the online portion affected the single player portion.
If it hasnt then ok fine, no prob...

Loudninja

mr_nothin said:
It just looks alot smoother @ last year's tgs.

I would have rather this had been just a single player game.
That's if the online portion affected the single player portion.
If it hasnt then ok fine, no prob...

No, it looks better than last year.

mr_nothin

Banned
Loudninja said:
No, it looks better than last year.
This(2008):
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/white-knight-story.html

Looks better than this (2007):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzIWkiHC49o

?????

The movement is alot more...iffy looking in this year's gameplay footage.
They also seem alot more reactive and not so stiff.

Even when comparing the "boss" battle from this year's gameplay video to last year's, it seems smoother and just looked better last year.

2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwIYkVoW2UQ&feature=related

2008:
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/video/white-knight-story.html
(starting around 3:12)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is the first time I'm hearing about this game and HOLY FUCK GIANT ROBOTS AM WANT. I might buy a PS3 for this.

Yes, I know it's not a robot, shut up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Those are online gameplay vids. We have not seen anything from the single player in motion from the new build.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kagari said:
Those are online gameplay vids. We have not seen anything from the single player in motion from the new build.
I know :)

I just hope the single player doesnt look like the online gameplay.
Hopefully its at least on par with last year's gameplay.
Pretty sure it will be though

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Level-5 needs to go all out and post some new video content on their site. As much as I prefer media blackouts, it's just been too long.

RaijinFY

Better not watch the direct feed pics... however it's the online, maybe the graphics were dumbed down for this mode. Let's hope so because it would be very disappointing.

Loudninja

RaijinFY said:
Better not watch the direct feed pics... however it's the online, maybe the graphics were dumbed down for this mode. Let's hope so because it would be very disappointing.

We are not talking about graphics,but the gameplay.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RaijinFY said:

Obviously the online mode has lesser graphics. It's probably necessary with such a large environment.

hteng

Banned
the battle is faster and smoother, it's an improvement to last year's showing but i'm a bit disappointed with the large enemy encounter, boring as hell.

mr_nothin

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
It looks alot faster and smoother than last year...Im not exactly sure how anyone could say otherwise...it looked floaty last year
It looks faster....but less fluid/smooth. The movements look all choppy and cut up now :/

mr_nothin said:
It looks faster....but less fluid/smooth. The movements look all choppy and cut up now :/

See I dont agree, I thought they looked delayed and missing animations this year....maybe you are thinking of the original showing, which was a whole other level animation wise. I much prefer the faster animations now, they seem to have more impact

mr_nothin

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
See I dont agree, I thought they looked delayed and missing animations this year....maybe you are thinking of the original showing, which was a whole other level animation wise. I much prefer the faster animations now, they seem to have more impact
My post above shows exactly the footage I was talking about. It wasnt the original trailer/footage. But anyways...to each his own.

Slow download ;(

asdsfdd.jpg

dddasdfddd.jpg

fddds.jpg

CG looks great ;o

nelsonroyale said:
somebody upload those vids to filefront please

why does ruliweb alway shave such terrible download speed?

yeah Taking forever for small files. the file i posted pictures for will take 1 more hour and it's only 90mb ;o

Awntawn

Holy crap, I just noticed in the 5th shot in the trailer, there's something HUGE moving underneath the ground. CG or not, that gave me chills D;

hmmm, from the vids I think it looks good...

It may not have the detail of other games etc, but it has a level of visual cohesiveness and continuity which I like, everything looks smooth and seems to run well...plus the environments seem to have a large sense of scale and look natural enough...other games look quite barren in this respect...well, DQ8 did this well also...

FFXII looked more barren in comparison, even though, overall, it was definitely the more impressive game

nelsonroyale said:
that would be good, could you upload the online presentation...only one I dont have

i placed all the files into a zip folder :lol

filefront is taking forever to give me the link to the files. it's been complete for sometimes now ;o

but going to upload the presentation for you to megaupload now.

Is it me or the game changed quite a bit from last year? At least from the looks of it, in gameplay terms. It also looks quite word (e.g. the characters' faces are much less detailed).

ps. fuck, i meant worse, not word lol

jett

D-Member
ichigo kurosaki said:
Is it me or the game changed quite a bit from last year? At least from the looks of it, in gameplay terms. It also looks quite word (e.g. the characters' faces are much less detailed).

It looks the same as always to me...problem is what looked good/decent a year or two ago doesn't really anymore. It looks really, really average to me. I'd even say crappy, depending on which screenshot I'm looking at.

-Kh-

Banned
jett said:
It looks the same as always to me...problem is what looked good/decent a year or two ago doesn't really anymore. It looks really, really average to me. I'd even say crappy, depending on which screenshot I'm looking at.

jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 07:52 PM)
Reply | Quote

Do you actually realize that most of these pics are from the online mode? The game does look great and I hope it runs at steady 30 (or 60, wishful thinking) fps.

CG-wise, for the FMV cutscenes they look top notch right now for jrpgs. The true judgment will be when we see the single player mode, which should have better graphics than the online mode.

Top Bottom