• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles Media and Information Thread

stuburns said:
I was alluding to FFXIII yeah, and I'm more excited for VersusXIII then anything (except Trico), but I don't really count it because it's kind of an action game as apparently.

it has a world map, summons and airships though...nomura said those aspects are more traditional than in FFXIII...just think of it as the sector of ff which have continued on the path ffxii set, fused with aspects of kh....should be awesome

Wollan

So the Jeux Video is still the only decent one?

I mean, there's the Sony website one but it uses .asx and it's 720p via direct streaming/loading so it's not practical.

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
it has a world map, summons and airships though...nomura said those aspects are more traditional than in FFXIII...just think of it as the sector of ff which have continued on the path ffxii set, fused with aspects of kh....should be awesome
Yeah I guess so, I'm not even sure what makes a game an RPG. Character development I guess? If so, I'm sure Versus will include those elements.

Either way, that is a game with amazing art. It's fucking unreal how amazing it is.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
eh... I'm actually now starting to lose interest in this. The talk about online multiplayer makes it sound like they are going for a more MMOish type of game rather than a linear RPG.

Really high quality linear rpgs with a focus on story is what I feeling is missing and hurting the ps3, but now it sounds like the focus isn't in that direction.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I would imagine you can only get to certain multiplayer areas by progressing in the single player story. So while you can kill rats for a few years that give you a few XP until you're level 99 online off the bat, you're probably better off just killing a few rats online until you level up a little and progress the story and open a new area to level up in.

Well that makes sense, but I guess it has to do more with my grinding OCD than anything else.

I'm so insistant on having all my characters at the same level at the same time, frustrates the heck out of me if one of them is like 5 levels below/higher. =/ Worried that this is going to frustrate me.

Just watch part 3 of the Level 5 presentation for those that haven't seen it yet. the first one is just talk session and part 2 is battle session. Doesn't show anything. and part actually shows them playing ;o

Cool that the enemy has different weak points. hit it for massive damage! weapons/armor changes when you equip it. [at least from the video different people had different items on]

and ugh. whoever was the camera guy I wish he would have stopped pointing the camera to the speaker and just pan it out so I can see the action on the screen. hope they put up the video that was in jeuxfrance on PSN store.

They have a different version of the song from the trailer. SO GOOD! I'll buy that OST day zero!

Btw, if you're don't understand Japanese don't download the first part as it's just an interview.

*edit* Same for part 2 :lol It just shows one slide.

*edit2* Part 3 shows the game being played by a an hot Japanese babe.

*edit3* Keyboard support wohoo! :p

iceatcs

DMPrince said:
and ugh. whoever was the camera guy I wish he would have stopped pointing the camera to the speaker and just pan it out so I can see the action on the screen. hope they put up the video that was in jeuxfrance on PSN store.

I know, annoying. Feel like I'm watching some Japanese chat TV show :S

Tom Penny

slayn said:
eh... I'm actually now starting to lose interest in this. The talk about online multiplayer makes it sound like they are going for a more MMOish type of game rather than a linear RPG.

Really high quality linear rpgs with a focus on story is what I feeling is missing and hurting the ps3, but now it sounds like the focus isn't in that direction.

There isn't a single player campaign in the game?

patsu

There is. My gut feel is the MP component helps players to level up faster (grind with friends), makes things more interesting after you finished the SP campaign (replay), and also facilitate trading of stuff.

They said there will be follow up announcements on their online feature. I am guessing it's more indepth P2P trading and user generated content.

Wollan

Metalmurphy said:
Voice chat confirmed!!
I'm not kidding when I'm asking but is this actually the first online jrpg ever to have integrated voip? FFXI X360 has only keyboard chat I believe, PSO as well. Not sure about PSU? Monster Hunter has only keyboard chat.

Wollan said:
I'm not kidding when I'm asking but is this actually the first online jrpg ever to have integrated voip? FFXI X360 has only keyboard chat I believe, PSO as well. Not sure about PSU? Monster Hunter has only keyboard chat.
Yeah, pretty much. All PC games don't integrate it, people just use Vent instead, and as far as console goes, there's not many online JRPGs to begin with :p

One of the main thing I'm worried about is the online itself. how well it will hold up if there will be lag and how much? ;o

and yay for Voice chat!

I saw they also have Keyboard support which is good too!

I really found the description of the combat system customization interesting.

It seems like you can register more than one pallet, and swap between them based in the number with arrows in the bottom left. This could also indicate which character is selected, but I find that unlikely.

The pallets are cool, even though its basically a customizable command menu, it kind of reminds me of how macros in FFXI work after creating them (because hopefully the setup will be far less cumbersome).

At first I thought switching to different commands was some sort of combo driven timing mechanic, but it seems this is not the case? Can anyone who has played it comment on this?

Linkified

I don't know why but when I see the design of the charcters in the OP, they look generic as J-RPG goes now thats not a bad thing but maybe its I've played too many.

:lol

Wollan said:

If I remember right, PSO for the original xbox only had voice chat. Apart from the in-game keyboard, that was a real test in patience. That was the one that had a separate fee from SEGA on top of the LIVE subscription.

god damn, those clips didnt have much gameplay footage...the hell is up with sony? Shows us the damn fecking game!!!! Even the new trailer has no fecking gameplay footage...load of rubbish

[even though the new trailer looked ace]

grr

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Every time I see a story on this game, I think of that yuppie in Die Hard talking to Hans Gruber.

Wollan

The little gameplay shown in the 3rd video there seems really good.
Enormous vistas and smooth framerate, so not this generation.

pancakesandsex said:
I really found the description of the combat system customization interesting.

It seems like you can register more than one pallet, and swap between them based in the number with arrows in the bottom left. This could also indicate which character is selected, but I find that unlikely.

The pallets are cool, even though its basically a customizable command menu, it kind of reminds me of how macros in FFXI work after creating them (because hopefully the setup will be far less cumbersome).

At first I thought switching to different commands was some sort of combo driven timing mechanic, but it seems this is not the case? Can anyone who has played it comment on this?

I'm curious about this as well. What do the pallets mean? What are the restrictions on them? Are they just glorified menu shortcuts, or is there some strategy to how you set them up? Maybe putting abilities together enhances them, or the opposite? What affects the abilities that can be put together? Are there penalties for switching pallets? Can you only do it when outside battle, or maybe only at certain locations (save points, inns, for example)?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Tom Penny said:
There isn't a single player campaign in the game?
There is, but when trying to strengthen online multiplayer aspects like what everyone is talking about, compromises will be made. And the gameplay focus will probably be on controlling one character instead of a team.

It could still turn out ok, but I don't have faith that any software company in the world could make a mind blowing single player experience while also focusing a lot of time and energy on online multiplayer.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I'm curious about this as well. What do the pallets mean? What are the restrictions on them? Are they just glorified menu shortcuts, or is there some strategy to how you set them up? Maybe putting abilities together enhances them, or the opposite? What affects the abilities that can be put together? Are there penalties for switching pallets? Can you only do it when outside battle, or maybe only at certain locations (save points, inns, for example)?

I'm pretty sure it's just a simple command menu, although organizing it properly would make it easier to use (Follow up attacks next to normal attack).

-Kh-

Banned
slayn said:
There is, but when trying to strengthen online multiplayer aspects like what everyone is talking about, compromises will be made. And the gameplay focus will probably be on controlling one character instead of a team.

It could still turn out ok, but I don't have faith that any software company in the world could make a mind blowing single player experience while also focusing a lot of time and energy on online multiplayer.

Hmmm, I don't quite agree, take a look at FFXII, (although I'm not aware of WKC single player combat system yet) this game could very well work as an online RPG, the gambit system, although limited, cover rather well the basic aspects of a self working party.

The difficulty for the online quests can just be higher, with added strategic elements, like for example, terrain, position, timing, allthese things that AI wouldn't usually do as well unless dumbing down the game, or that they would be rather taxxing for a single person to keep track of all on real-time.

Either way I'm really looking forward for this game now, next year might be Level 5's year :p

pancakesandsex said:
I'm pretty sure it's just a simple command menu, although organizing it properly would make it easier to use (Follow up attacks next to normal attack).

That'd be slightly dissapointing if true. The battle system looks quite FFXII-esque, and while I thought that game provided a good framework it needed some fine-tuning to make it more strategic. I'm hoping for something in WKC that takes that framework and makes it as accessible, but increases the depth.

jmonteiro

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah, pretty much. All PC games don't integrate it, people just use Vent instead, and as far as console goes, there's not many online JRPGs to begin with :p

Not all but most :) . LoTRO has in-game voice chat but we all used vent anyway :lol :lol :lol :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now this is how you do a next gen RPG. Stunning. This and SO4 are everything I could ask for this gen so far.

-Kh-

Banned
Doc Evils said:
I'm getting a FFXII vibe from this game. Good since I loved that game.

I feel the same.

And it is about time that the RPGs follow the FPS into the online scene, and this is exactly what we need without going to the extreme of MMORPGs.

A solid single player mode with good co-op missions to take advantage of all that great armor and weapons that you get in the single player experience, and to get some more as well.

StuBurns

Banned
Okay, I slagged it off before I bothered to read the thread. So it's four player co-op, I had no idea, and even though I hate the character art, I will be picking it up now.

Unless a better RPG gets co-op before it comes out.

-Kh-

Banned
stuburns said:
Okay, I slagged it off before I bothered to read the thread. So it's four player co-op, I had no idea, and even though I hate the character art, I will be picking it up now.

Unless a better RPG gets co-op before it comes out.

I don't think there is any other game like it that will come out before WKC, at least not on something else besides the DS.

StuBurns

Banned
-Kh- said:
I don't think there is any other game like it that will come out before WKC, at least not on something else besides the DS.
I said if one gets it, not if one that comes out has it.
i.e. if this evening they show off FFXIII and announce it has co-op, then I won't buy WKC.
A nice co-op RPG game is something I'd love to try. If I'm going for a single player RPG I really only want top quality stuff. But this could be a new experience so WKC might be alright.

Shadow780

-Kh- said:
A solid single player mode with good co-op missions to take advantage of all that great armor and weapons that you get in the single player experience, and to get some more as well.

Great idea. Often times in a RPG after I defeat the strongest hidden Boss and obtain the strongest weapon/armor/item, I was left with nothing else to challenge. Most of the time the only thing left is to face the final storyline boss (which is most likely weaker compare to the hidden boss) and laugh at its sorry ass. If WKC can offer online quests/monsters that are even more challenging than the hardest boss in its offline mode, that would be so awesome.

Tom Penny

slayn said:

Halo 3

Darkman M

stuburns said:
I agree, the CG at the start of the TGS trailer is some of the best I've seen. And the world art is very nice. But it's a role playing game, for me, they're about being immersed in a universe, it's culture, it's people. Talking purple frogs are just beyond where I can go, and all the character art is horrible. Probably because it's customizable. But it's bad. You can't really expect customizable characters to look as good ones a professional has spent months designing.

It's no good just having good world art, it needs good character art as well.
It's disappointing SO4 suffers from the exact same thing, the world is stunning, the characters are a joke. This generation is looking like a one RPG future to me.

Yeah keep waiting on those 4-6 year Finla Fantasys while missing out on on par or better jrpg's out there and coming before you ever see those games.

StuBurns

Banned
Darkman M said:
Yeah keep waiting on those 4-6 year Finla Fantasys while missing out on on par or better jrpg's out there and coming before you ever see those games.
The chasm between Final Fantasy's (by the top team, i.e. not 12 or 9) and all other RPGs is like between a Formula 1 car and a electric go-cart.

I did play a ton of RPGs last generation, and most the time I couldn't even finish them because they were so below par. SH2 was pretty amazing, and... I'm already struggling to think of anything else decent.

Darkman M

stuburns said:
The chasm between Final Fantasy's (by the top team, i.e. not 12 or 9) and all other RPGs is like between a Formula 1 car and a electric go-cart.

I did play a ton of RPGs last generation, and most the time I couldn't even finish them because they were so below par. SH2 was pretty amazing, and... I'm already struggling to think of anything else decent.

We'll thats fair, but i found games like Persona 3 & Dragon Quest VIII better then any final Fantasy game of the ps2 era.

stuburns said:

haha, I actually thought SH2 was a cheesy ff rip off...actually thats unfair, the game was humorous and had some nice visuals, but the story and antagonists were very very poor...so camp

FFxii and ffx were my two favourite rpgs last gen, but dqviii was pretty damn good as well...very charming

-Kh-

Banned
stuburns said:
I said if one gets it, not if one that comes out has it.
i.e. if this evening they show off FFXIII and announce it has co-op, then I won't buy WKC.
A nice co-op RPG game is something I'd love to try. If I'm going for a single player RPG I really only want top quality stuff. But this could be a new experience so WKC might be alright.

Well if SE announces their next MMO tomorrow, or comes out saying that vs13 will indeed have some kind of 'versus' online mode, are you just going to skip anything else that comes before winter 2010 or later?

So that pretty much would leave out WKC and MH3, and anything else on DS or PSP (and PC)?

Maybe if you just like to play a RPG once in a while so you only pick up the best of the generation or w/e, well that's fine, everyone has their own preferences.

Top Bottom