• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the most famous person you have ever met?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I used to meet a bunch of basketball players when I would practice at the Fonde in Houston. Hakeem, Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones etc

Dang everyone has such interesting lives. Best I got is that I met Stephen Amell at a convention, but obviously it doesn't really stand up to a random encounter, I don't think.

Ty Burrell

He worked for my mom before getting into acting and was my babysitter. He and his family remain family friends of ours. Just saw him not long ago, actually.

My parents actually met him at a local Whole Foods here in Salt Lake City.

Oh I remember one. I met Kristen Bell at Big Apple comic con. This was right after Assassin's Creed. I went to get Veronica Mars pictures signed. We spoke briefly about her likeness in AC. She asked me what did Lucy tell me in game. I told her she told me to go so sleep, and we ended the conversation with her telling me I should listen to her and then winked at me.

wait. wut.

acksman

Used to talk with Tom Landry on the weekends when he brought his car in to work on. He would just sit up front and was one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

Others that would come in - Dan Rather, Arnold Palmer, bunch of other football, golf players.

Others is Walt Garrison, Randy White, George Bush Sr., Roger Staubach, Eric Johnson (lived next to my bother in his early days before he was well known)

Got to shake John Wayne's hand (I was like 5 years old, lol)

kirby_fox

Banned
Went to school with a girl (elementary through HS) that wound up going to play pro-basketball overseas. Was on the Rutgers team when that guy made racist comments, I wasn't too happy about that. Apparently I went to HS with some football players too, and I know I used to talk to one in one class in passing- but I can't remember the names for the life of me.

I also met 2Chainz, drove his posse to their hotel while he was in the other car. I'm still not sure which one he was, because he didn't have all his regular clothing on.

And I drove Nick and Drew Lachey and their family to Oktoberfest in the city. I'm supposed to be in their new show that's coming out, but I didn't sign a release form and haven't heard from the channel since October, so who knows if I'll actually be in it or if they'll just blur my face. Edit: They were very nice, Nick said I looked dapper. I had no idea what to say back besides "Thank you."

Valhelm

contribute something
You have no idea... He was not super racist or anything, but he did seem like a religious nut. He was constantly quoting the bible and just had an aura around him of holier than thou.

Couple weird things, he had some sort of quick attaching posthetics, almost like a mask, that he put on before he went partying. He wanted to go out without bodyguards but no get recognized.

Also, he was super germophobic. He had a device "specially made" by Sony that he placed all his food in like for 30 seconds to remove any harmful stuff. He was never quite able to explain just what it did haha

holy shit

Red

I have a cousin who is a professional (non-US) basketball player. Amused some friends with a picture of him playing Bulls-era Jordan in an international game.

My wife had a beer with Obama, but the secret service wouldn't let me into the bar they were at.

I am friends with the guy who did the Daft Hands youtube video, if that means anything to you.

I once worked on a film shoot with the cinematographer for the infamous Academy-disqualified film "Alone Yet Not Alone."

Sliver

Mine is lame, but professional Starcraft 2 player puCK went to my college. Talked to him a couple times, nice enough guy.

Jag

Random encounters where we chatted?

Billy Joel
Cindy Crawford
David Schwimmer (during Friends). He doesn't like being called Ross apparently.
Rudy Guiliani when he was mayor.
Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed) right after Rocky II.
Judd Apatow, but I knew him in HS when he was just a sarcastic kid.

Pretty sure there is more.

Choomp

Banned
I met John Cena, Jeff Hardy and a few other wrestlers when I had a backstage pass to some live event for some reason

DarkFlow

Banned
Russell Westbrook, it was pretty cool. This was during the lockout so he was on vacation in San Diego. He's not as tall as you would think for a NBA player.

I met will. I. A. M at a Justin timberlake concert in London a few months ago!
I have met quite a few famous sports people. I met Goran in Croatia just after he won Wimbledon. I met G Neville (yeah I know) at my local tesco metro in Manchester. I also met sven while he was city manager. A couple of years ago when ufc was in London I went for a meal with dana white, Joe rogan and a bunch of the fighters.
In terms of "celeb" sightings, absolutely tons . notable ones include Dustin Hoffman, Kylie and Vanilla Ice. I met You see a lot in London in general, plus I used to live opposite the maida Vale studios so I would see famous musicians on a daily basis (and had paps camped on my doorstep!). A lot of famous people live in the area, Paul weller lived a couple of streets away, I saw blackadder /timeteams tony Robinson all the time and Mary portas (d-list really!). I saw jason Isaacs in the bank a couple of times so I guess he was local.
Last but not least I met lester freeman from the wire (Clarke peters), when he was doing a play in Swiss cottage.

Vol5

I've met a few famous people. Murray Walker, Noel Gallagher, briefly met Ringo Starr & John Rhys Davis. Met Goldie at Creamfields as well. He was cool.

My dad's friend used to work for the Labor party in Australia during Paul Keating's term as prime minister.

She took me, my dad and two of my brothers on a tour of Parliament House in Canberra when we were holidaying there, and instead of the usual tour, she took us around the back corridors to where all the staffers work.

Then, as we were walking down a corridor, Prime Minister Keating walking out of an office and was coming straight towards us.

He stopped to talk to our guide, she was doing some work for us, and then she introduced us to the PM!

It wasnt a typical meet and greet you see during a campaign, it was a lot more friendlier and he said something to my dad about Gough Whitlam (my dad wrote letters for Gough when he was a student back in the days). He shook all of our hands, asked our names, what year we were in etc.

It was a good 5min stop and chat. We also got a photo which still hangs on a wall at my parents' place.

Boem

(Former) Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. I'm one of those people who wonders why we still have a royal house in this country, but I never had anything against Beatrix as a person. My mom played in a band at a national celebration where she was present, I got to shake her hand afterwards and talk to her for a bit when she came to personally thank everyone after the festivities were over.

My mom also met the current king and queen, but I wasn't there for that.

Also Pope John Paul II, although that was from a distance.

poshclown

Neo Member
Met Jackie Stewart on the opening night of a previous job, top bloke.
Robin Van Persie came to the same place as above quite often.
Craig Charles, he apologised for Red Dwarf: Back to Earth.
Most of the Peterborough United squad plus Barry Fry...quite a lower status than the rest. However same night spoke to Charlotte Jackson, so I had that going for me.

Think there's a few more, but mind is blank.

Edit: Oh yeah. Akitoshi Kawazu and Hiroshi Minagawa. Executive producer & visual designer/co-director of FFXII.

In 2006, I pushed senator Obama out of the way on the stairs behind stage to get an unflattering photo of Ted Kennedy. Ted, Hillary and Obama were all speaking on a panel at the NAACP annual convention.

I've met Bill/Hill, Dubya, Cosby, Reggie, Myamoto, Gallegher, Condi, Styx, etc etc

As a kid I was babysat by Fayboy Slim and Paul Heaton. Met a few Brookside celebs whilst my mum worked in the Green Room bar/Theatre in Manchester too when I was a kid.

My girlfriend in college said she'd sit on pd Heaton's face, but only if she could wear his cardigan.

Ahasverus

I was a translator for Klaus Badelt (Pirates of the Caribbean composer) for my orchestra. Very serious but nice man, and a total maestro.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Some highlights include:

Natalie Portman
Allison Brie
Hideo Kojima
Suda Goichi
Michelle Branch
Donald Glover
Peter Molyneux
Stan Lee
Al Gore

plenty more but for some reason those were the first few that came to mind.

Evo X

Ran into Mila Kunis while she was in Chicago shooting Jupiter Ascending about 18 months ago. She was with some tall non-famous dude from the production team

I had recently started working downtown and was grabbing lunch. She asked me what a good place to grab a bite was around there. Wish I had gotten a picture with her.

FireCloud

Met John McCarthy once when I was a freshman in Computer Science at NCSU. Dr. McCarthy is known as the father of Artificial Intelligence. A topic I was quite interested in when I was in college.

He came to give a talk and there was supposed to be a chance to "mingle" before hand. When I showed up there was no one there. A couple of minutes later a gentleman showed up and we started talking. Come to find out it was Dr. McCarthy. Apparently, the location or time of the meet-and-greet had changed and Dr. McCarthy and I were, it seems, the only ones to not get the information.

It was interesting as someone just starting out in Computer Science to speak with someone at the pinnacle of the field.

Had a class taught by Marshall Brain. After teaching at NCSU, Marshall went on to found "How Stuff Works"; books and a web site that explains various topics in some detail. He later sold "How Stuff Works" to someone. I've seen it on cable TV afterwards kind of like the show "How's it Made?". He was an incredible teacher. His programming assignments were quite involved. Our final project was to code (from scratch) the Mac Paint program in Pascal on Apple Macintosh. He developed software that would take our compiled projects and run it through an emulator to determine the percentage of the project that we completed. He provided us with that program at the start of the project. He told us when we reached the grade we desired we could stop and submit our projects. That was the first (not All-Nighter) but "All-Weekender" I've ever pulled. Was up from Friday morning until the next Monday morning to finish up and turn that project in. (that was back when it was still fun)

Also, had a Discrete Mathematics class taught by Donald Bitzer. Dr. Bitzer has done many things in his career. Among them, he is credited with the invention of the plasma display. He used to tell us about crawling into jets and installing early prototypes. He built them in his garage in a briefcase that he brought into class to show us. He was quite an interesting fellow and a great teacher. You wouldn't have known to look at him that his intellect was through the roof. He kind of looked like a pudgy 1950's stereotypical bowler; complete with the crew cut hair do and bowling shirts.

Edit: I just noticed. My idea of famous appears quite different from most of the other posts. I just haven't met many entertainers, I guess.

-Gozer-

For those who grew up in the Philly area might recognize the name Chief Halftown. I sat on his lap.

Also, Howard Scott Warshaw and Tommy Tallarico.

Rich!

I spoke to Thom Yorke before and Phil Selway

Met Omar, Cedric and Ikey (rip) of the mars volta

Also met ross kemp once at sky TV hq

I've met Gary Whitta, Hideo Kojima, Tim Schafer, Jake Rodkin of Idle Thumbs, Kevin Bruner the current CEO of Telltale Games, and Ron Gilbert.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bill Clinton. Hard to top that. When he was president, no less. I was on a class field trip and had to hang back to go to the bathroom. Came out and there he was.

J4g3r

Billy Connolly.

Billy-Connolly-High-Horse-Tour.jpg

He was walking around my hometown years ago, (Alone, quite shocked by that) going to all the Museums and site-seeing. It was the purple soul patch and suit that gave him away.

Me and my mates were the only people who recognized him. We talked to him for a bit, very nice guy.

We then asked for a picture, but he politely told us to "Fuck Off" as he didn't want to be recognized by anyone else.

Legend.

Mike Tyson in Vegas. My girlfriend at the time and I were drunk, when suddenly a crowd of people started forming as he came in. She says to Tyson, "I don't know who you are, but you must be famous."

He looked at her real evil as I quickly moved her out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom