• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why am I enjoying DMC (Devil May Cry) ?

Squishy3

I can get behind colored enemies and maybe terrible boss design but still doesn't excuse him to say this game is really awful DMC game
Then Capcom should have called it something other than DmC: Devil May Cry. They wanted to use the brand name as recognition, and that carries with it the burden of sharing the same brand name, and alienating people that enjoyed the previous games as a result.

People hated on the game without even playing it due to the redesign. Similar to how people love the original without even playing it (recently). If any game deserves to be shit on, it's the original.

:]
Yeah..... no:
It's pretty wrong. The announcement was judged largely based upon the visuals and art design, because that's basically all anyone had to evaluate. As gameplay was slowly shown over time, more substantive issues began to surface, many of which were voiced and ignored by both the media and developers throughout development because "white hair demanding haters" was used as a catch all means of dismissing an entire fanbase.

And then the game came out, and those issues came to fruition, in basic balance, control, enemy design, boss design, etc. On a very basic level, the most glaring issues were:

-30 FPS
-Removal of Lock-On
-Broken Style System
-Broken Devil Trigger
-Broken Damage Values
-Aggressively Poor Boss Design
-Color Coded Enemies
-Easily exploitable gravity/juggle leniency
-Lack of Weapon Balance

Perhaps most notably, the writing in DmC is trash bootleg of They Live and Futurama, when Ninja Theory was brought in specifically to reinvent and reinvigorate the lore with a Western sophistication. They failed.

Rahni Tucker and a few key people at Ninja Theory opted to listen to fan feedback from DMC fans who actually played and dissected their game, and that's how the DmC: Definitive Edition came to be. The enormous and extensive changelog speaks for itself, and they did what they could to improve on what was already there. It's a big step in the right direction and one of the better playing Western action games, even if its combat doesn't reach the series standard.
A lot of DMC fans (myself included) bought the game day 1 and gave it a fair shake. I myself platinumed it (twice). It's a fun game and has some mechanics that I definitely wanna see in future entries (cross-combos being one of them).

But aside from combat (which still had a lot of problems as you can see in GE's post) the rest of the game wasn't that good. Devil May Cry never had a problem when it came to combat and mechanics. In fact DMC4 and DMC3 both have vastly better combat systems compared to DmC. Capcom brought NT so the game would have a better story and character have more depth. What they did with DmC's story and characters was laughably bad. So the end result was:

DmC: A decent combat system (which objectively had lesser depth than OG series) with a ridiculously bad story and forgettable characters
+ one of the worst PRs that I've ever seen in my life
OG DMC: Phenomenal combat system, iconic characters, bad story.

So..... why didn't we get DMC5 in the first place?

It's a competent action game but I'll never forget turning it off after that whole horseshit slow motion cutscene that went on for what felt like forever. There was tension, we get it.

Fury451

Banned
Because it's a great game. It's a bad Devil May Cry game as far as lore goes, but so was Devil May Cry 2 and that was infinitely more boring than even the worst parts of DMC.

DmC is a good game, that's why, haha. Story and character design issues aside, it's a lot of fun to play, especially on Turbo mode. I prefer the original DMC games because the combat feels much more deep (especially 4), but DmC is a solid character action game. I honestly wouldn't mind a sequel, but I want a proper sequel to DMC4 a lot more.

OniBaka

A lot of DMC fans (myself included) bought the game day 1 and gave it a fair shake.
Pretty much, I'm probably the biggest fan of the original and still got DmC day one. Heck I got it day one on ps3, pc and ps4 lol. While it was fun it just wasn't the dmc I wanted.

Elixist

the combat wasnt as good as the oldies, but was still real solid and fun, some of the bosses were great. i liked the environments and graphics, i enjoyed the story alot too.

Glass Rebel

Yeah..... no:

A lot of DMC fans (myself included) bought the game day 1 and gave it a fair shake. I myself platinumed it (twice). It's a fun game and has some mechanics that I definitely wanna see in future entries (cross-combos being one of them).

But aside from combat (which still had a lot of problems as you can see in GE's post) the rest of the game wasn't that good. Devil May Cry never had a problem when it came to combat and mechanics. In fact DMC4 and DMC3 both have vastly better combat systems compared to DmC. Capcom brought NT so the game would have a better story and character have more depth. What they did with DmC's story and characters was laughably bad. So the end result was:

DmC: A decent combat system (which objectively had lesser depth than OG series) with a ridiculously bad story and forgettable characters
+ one of the worst PRs that I've ever seen in my life
OG DMC: Phenomenal combat system, iconic characters, bad story.

So..... why didn't we get DMC5 in the first place?

Hell, I remember the OT being mostly old DMC fans. So much about old fans not giving it a chance.

Steroyd

Don't know what part of Gaf you've been reading and it also depends which version you played, the original had a laundry list of issues which were apparently fixed in the definitive version even then when taken in isolation it's an okay game, but it's a shit DMC game (not the shittiest though) that took so many steps back from what the franchise is known for in excelling while not improving the things the franchise was known for lacking in (Dialogue and writing), which should have been Ninja Theory's forte but they fell short.

Still one of the most baffling reboots ever.

It's one of my favorite of that style of action game. I never got the general dislike for it, outside of it somehow "ruining" a character that, frankly, was pretty fucking lame to begin with.

donte_2_by_theperpetual-d8ocry5.png

vs
abilities_by_hakuxtemari-d8idg09.jpg

ghibli99

One of the best surprises when I rented it from Gamefly. I thought some elements even topped Bayo 2, which was my GOTY 2014. I immediately bought it once I realized how good it was.

Squishy3

Because it's a great game. It's a bad Devil May Cry game as far as lore goes, but so was Devil May Cry 2 and that was infinitely more boring than even the worst parts of DMC.
You can't just say it does things better than the entry everyone pretends doesn't even exist. Hell, DmC Devil May Cry even makes you fight a giant building too!

The game taken on its own is pretty good imo. Easily the best title from Capcoma efforts with Western Devs. Though some of the edginess will vary by person (I didn't mind it).

However it's always going to have the stigma of carrying the DMC name and for a time being a potential threat to the old style and characters. Which is where a lot of the hate stems from. Once DMC5 is revealed. You'll see a lot more people coming around on the game knowing it isn't the future of the series. Much like how people as of late have been easier on RE6 after 7s release. I expect the same thing to happen with Other M to a smaller scale after Prime 4 comes out.

Great post, but the dmc is still a very mediocre game compared to 3 or 4, which fans want capcom to top.

You can't just brush that off and call it a day.

Juraash

I can get behind colored enemies and maybe terrible boss design but still doesn't excuse him to say this game is really awful DMC game

It being a Devil May Cry game carries with it a certain set of expectations. Mechanical and gameplay chief among those. On that alone, the base game is an awful DMC game. That's to say nothing of the writing or encounter design or anything else.

Good action game does not equate to a good Devil May Cry game. It's an awful Devil May Cry game as far as I'm concerned. Divorce it from the lineage the name implies and you have a decent action game with some iffy writing. And so people don't accuse me of just hating on something different or new. Devil May Cry 2 doesn't even really succeed and being a good game (I'll give it some points for Dante's design though). So DmC isn't even the most awful Devil May Cry.

DmC DE is a great action game with some fantastic art design, as long as you skip all the cutscenes. DMC never had good writing and was always goofy, but DmC was like next level tone deaf really up its own ass terribleness.

Great post, but the dmc is still a very mediocre game compared to 3 or 4, which fans want capcom to top.

You can't just brush that off and call it a day.

exactly.
To know that it took them 7 yrs since DMC4 to come out with DmC DE that is still not up to par in combat with 3 or 4 is disappointing to say the least.

guyssorry

DmC, Dark Souls 2, FF8, etc.

I don't listen to peoples' gaming opinions anymore. I love all 3 of the aforementioned games. Play a game, figure out if it you like it.

It really depends on how you approach the game. If you were really invested in the mechanics and/or really liked the characters from the OG series and couldn't get behind the new direction of either, then you'll probably not like it. If you found Devil May Cry too obtuse mechanically to get into before and/or enjoy the new story/art direction, you'll probably like it.

Mechanically, the original release back in 2013 was a massive let down: 30 fps, Demon Dodge shenanigans, crappier Angel Dodge, easy SSS ranks, Color-coded enemies only being damaged by specific weapons, Keys for secret doors, certain moves having an insane amount of active frames, wider parry windows, even more useless Devil Trigger, no manual lock, Bloody Palace being a downloadable, infinite air time with Angel Whip + Jump, no rank decay past S, lack of difficulty even on highest settings... the list goes on.

To me, story wise, I'll stick by what I've said before: DmC tries way too hard to be cutting and relevant and merely ends up being high school edge because of it. It doesn't deep dive on any of the topics it purports to be about and just uses them to prop up the overall edginess (which they actually try to tone down in the Definitive Edition by taking out an entire part of a scene as well as a few lines of dialogue from what I can tell including the line "Donkey Punch"). It utterly falls apart the second you put a bit of thought into what is actually going on.

Vergil's Downfall is actively nonsense.
At least when I thought it was all metaphorically in Vergil's mind it was merely completely unsubtle and completely unlikable. The fact it actually happens in hell? Complete nonsense.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I liked RE6 more than RE4 and Fallout 4 more than New Vegas, so I'm basically public enemy number around here, but at the end of the day the only review that matters is your own.

Don't mind the haters. It's got a different style but the game is great. You can debate the characters and story, but gameplay it's got.

Nah it had some serious balancing issues that were addressed in the DE. It wasn't a particularly good combat sandbox and the bosses sucked for the most part.

You have to understand, people were expecting the follow-up to DMC4 which had a pretty good base to make a sequel from. Then this reboot was announced

Korigama

Lesson learned: don't let whining on the internet dissuade you from trying a game.

Edit: In a perfect world we will get both a DmC2 and a Devil May Cry 5 so everyone is happy. I'll take the latter as long as it has the former's gameplay.
But then the people who want the latter wouldn't be happy, as the former may as well have just been made instead in such a scenario.

I will forever be dismayed by the people who find DmC a mediocre game and then immediately defend DMC4 as if it was some kind of masterpiece

DMC4 was disappointing trash at release. Outside the fun Bloody Palace mode, everything else about that game was pretty damn lame.

xRaizen

I mean insulting fans of the original series is one way to make people hate your game before it's released

Then actually releasing a mediocre game (and at 30 fps to boot!) just twists the knife some more.

Alienfan

Because it's one of the best character action games from last gen, I think with the definitive edition its even better than the other Devil May Cry games because you're not wrestling with the camera

It's not the worst game ever made so someone is bound to enjoy it. For a Devil May Cry game it's certainly no DMC2, but it still can't stand in the same room as 1&3&4.

Trailers really did the game no favors but the game itself was legit good. Dante not as insufferable as people made him seem. i enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Kremzeek

I loooooved DMC!

The boss fights were all really unique, and that whole nightclub level I just loved the music in it so much!

Super super fun. Glad I didn't listen to the haters.

Neonep

It's pretty wrong. The announcement was judged largely based upon the visuals and art design, because that's basically all anyone had to evaluate. As gameplay was slowly shown over time, more substantive issues began to surface, many of which were voiced and ignored by both the media and developers throughout development because "white hair demanding haters" was used as a catch all means of dismissing an entire fanbase.

And then the game came out, and those issues came to fruition, in basic balance, control, enemy design, boss design, etc. On a very basic level, the most glaring issues were:

-30 FPS
-Removal of Lock-On
-Broken Style System
-Broken Devil Trigger
-Broken Damage Values
-Aggressively Poor Boss Design
-Color Coded Enemies
-Easily exploitable gravity/juggle leniency
-Lack of Weapon Balance

Perhaps most notably, the writing in DmC is trash bootleg of They Live and Futurama, when Ninja Theory was brought in specifically to reinvent and reinvigorate the lore with a Western sophistication. They failed.

Rahni Tucker and a few key people at Ninja Theory opted to listen to fan feedback from DMC fans who actually played and dissected their game, and that's how the DmC: Definitive Edition came to be. The enormous and extensive changelog speaks for itself, and they did what they could to improve on what was already there. It's a big step in the right direction and one of the better playing Western action games, even if its combat doesn't reach the series standard.

I really appreciate this.

John Paul v2

Neo Member
It's easy to enjoy because it's an instantly gratifying experience that whizzes you through some gorgeously designed and dynamic environments. The bulk of the criticism is of the combat, that it's shallow and easy relative to previous DMC games.

Basically, with DMC 3 and 4, they aren't really campaign based games where you slog through for the story and then pop the game back on your shelf. They're like virtual martial arts that take significant amounts of time to master. You feel compelled to replay individual missions until every encounter is handled in the most efficient and creative way. What this results in is a sense of samurai-like mastery, style and badassery.

This is why when people complain about the re-use of environments in DMC4 I think they're missing the point, because the combat encounters and character playstyles are the real meat of a DMC game, and not the visual assets.

Neonep

People need to realize about this game that...
1. No fan of the series wanted or asked for this game after DMC4
2. The original version of the game had a host of issues that weren't befitting.
3. Also this game was meant to replace the original series. I wasn't with that.

Arklite

DmC is not DMC. It's Pepsi in a Coca Cola can. That doesn't mean people can't like it, but the reason many DMC fans disliked it is obvious.

This is why when people complain about the re-use of environments in DMC4 I think they're missing the point, because the combat encounters and character playstyles are the real meat of a DMC game, and not the visual assets.

Except they also shoved in shitty level design, awful platforming sections, and horrible puzzles into those environments. The meat of a game like Bayonetta is also the combat, but that game doesn't feel the need to waste your time with bad fluff when it paces out its adventure.

The complaints about the campaign in DMC4 are completely valid. The combat is good, but the crappiness of everything else wears it down.

Because its good

It aint the best hack and slash in the world, but some of the levels are enjoyable and the weapons aint half bad

Mdk7

Because it's a fun, unique hack and slash game with good mechanics and killer art design.

One of the best hack and slash games of last gen. I'd pay $60 for a sequel right now.

Is it DevilMayCry? Weeeeeellll. No, and I don't care. It's a fun game.

First post rule, once again.
I totally agree, it's just a crazy fun, well executed game AND a kick-ass Devil May Cry.
Also, the soundtrack is fucking amazing.

Kuraudo

Banned
The gameplay is a lot of fun in the DE.

The story is straight garbage though. I actually like the new Dante, but he's underserved by a really poor script. I know story was never the series' strong point, but at least the previous games were somewhat tongue-in-cheek. DmC feels like a 12-year-olds attempt at a serious, adult script.

Top Bottom