• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why am I enjoying DMC (Devil May Cry) ?

Gattsu25

Banned
The game taken on its own is pretty good imo. Easily the best title from Capcoma efforts with Western Devs. Though some of the edginess will vary by person (I didn't mind it).
That's where this ends for me.

It's a great game when taken on its own which is all that matters.

Because it's a fun, unique hack and slash game with good mechanics and killer art design.

One of the best hack and slash games of last gen. I'd pay $60 for a sequel right now.

Is it DevilMayCry? Weeeeeellll. No, and I don't care. It's a fun game.

One and done.

The gameplay is a lot of fun in the DE.

The story is straight garbage though. I actually like the new Dante, but he's underserved by a really poor script. I know story was never the series' strong point, but at least the previous games were somewhat tongue-in-cheek. DmC feels like a 12-year-olds attempt at a serious, adult script.

The story is about taking down an evil demon CEO who has managed to enslave the human race with soda.

It's not in your face and always over the top like the previous games, but that doesn't make it tonally serious.

B.O.O.M

The story is about taking down an evil demon CEO who has managed to enslave the human race with soda.

it isn't in you face and always over the top like the previous games, but that doesn't make it tonally serious.

I think the issue here might be one of premise vs. script. I personally don't mind the premise at all. But those lines man. It's a new low even for light hearted games like DMC

Kuraudo

Banned

Nothing about DmC is serious.

Stuff like
Kat being raped by her demon stepdad and Virgil shooting a pregnant woman
were definitely deployed seriously. And they terribly miss the tone.

Stuff like
Kat being raped by her demon stepdad and Virgil shooting a pregnant woman
were definitely deployed seriously. And they terribly miss the tone.
Kat raped? When is that ever implied?

And the [demon] pregnant women thing was definitely not serious or tonally out of wack. That whole scenario was super ridiculous.

I think the issue here might be one of premise vs. script. I personally don't mind the premise at all. But those lines man. It's a new low even for light hearted games like DMC

What lines exactly?

DmC's story isn't in your face? Hah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEBAukcHaU

Not like this

Fardeen

I really enjoyed it. I would argue that I loved the gameplay more than the original dmc. But I hated the character of Dante. But the whole game was so much fun

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
People were so outraged because Dante's character design, it's a shame they missed out on a wonderful game.

The gameplay itself was mostly fine. Some people were bothered by the streamlining and colour-coding, I was more than ok with that. Since tried to draw your attention to the aesthetics, guiding your eyes seemed like a sensible compromise. I wasn't a fan of the QTE chase sequences that were popular at the time. It's probably my fault, because I seem to be terrible at a decent chunk of these. I get into situations where I'm expected to do something on a time limit, and I'm trapped in a death-loop because I have no clue what I'm supposed to do/what I'm doing wrong. If I don't quit out-right, it usually takes me a Youtube trip to figure out how to pass it.

The other thing I just don't like about the game, was its atrocious writing and tone. To me it came off as a Best-Value store brand Robert Rodriguez story. Almost everyone in the game is abrasive and utterly unlikeable, there's all sorts of froggy misogynist stuff, but it's all drenched in sort-of-irony-but-not-really just in case. In all of its juvenile awfulness, it also manages to inject some of the least subtle social commentary you'll encounter in your lifetime. All of its concepts are incredibly basic and never get developed, but they still felt the need to constantly clarify everything with massive words that pop into the game world. The soft drink stage would say stuff like UNHEALTHY, IMPOTENT, OBESITY, the news stage would go CONTROL, LIES, etc. Video games often have bad, lowest-common-denominator writing, but I genuinely think this game lowered the bar. It was the first time I thought something was written for stupid people.

Its a fun game, outside of the story which i thought was try hardy shit about "the man". It would have made a good new combat action IP under a different name.

As Devil may cry though...? LMAO, that's the entire reason it was not a success, they called it Devil May Cry. Its not a Devil May Cry game
I'm not sure why people get so hung up over a name that they just can't see beyond that.

I know that the name sets an expectation, and it would be shitty if they made the game out to be a certain thing, and then pulled the rug out from gamers unexpectedly. But in the case of DmC, it was very clear what the game was going to be right form the get go: they didn't 'hide' any of the changes, they put them out there from the time of the first trailer. And IMHO, it's a very good game. I think I probably enjoyed it more than DMC2 and DMC4, but maybe not as much as DMC1 and definitely not as much as DMC3. That said, I've enjoyed all of the DMC/DmC games.

This 'name' fixation isn't limited to just DMC games either. Hitman: Absolution and Syndicate (2012) both suffered the same backlash, despite both being great games IMHO (and I say that as somebody who really enjoys both of those game series). I don't mind if devs/publishers want to change up a formula slightly (rather than putting out the same damn game every few years), provided the final product is good. When someone says "this game would have been good with a different name", then to me that simply says that the game is good. That's what I'm looking for from a game :)

I'm not sure why people get so hung up over a name that they just can't see beyond that.

I know that the name sets an expectation, and it would be shitty if they made the game out to be a certain thing, and then pulled the rug out from gamers unexpectedly. But in the case of DmC, it was very clear what the game was going to be right form the get go: they didn't 'hide' any of the changes, they put them out there from the time of the first trailer. And IMHO, it's a very good game. I think I probably enjoyed it more than DMC2 and DMC4, but maybe not as much as DMC1 and definitely not as much as DMC3. That said, I've enjoyed all of the DMC/DmC games.

This 'name' fixation isn't limited to just DMC games either. Hitman: Absolution and Syndicate (2012) both suffered the same backlash, despite both being great games IMHO (and I say that as somebody who really enjoys both of those game series). I don't mind if devs/publishers want to change up a formula slightly (rather than putting out the same damn game every few years), provided the final product is good. When someone says "this game would have been good with a different name", then to me that simply says that the game is good. That's what I'm looking for from a game :)

Agree 100% percent

People get so hung up on games like DmC, BoTW, MGSV, RE4, Banjo N&B, etc. for not being all that similar to their previous games. In the end, it doesn't matter, these games are all brilliant and successful at what they tried to achieve. They simply took the spirit of the previous games and did something fresh with it. I always appreciate a game that does this and manages to pull it off.

It's a very good game. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it! I hope we get a sequel sometime soon.

There is a weird obsession on gaf where people need a consensus ... i guess to feel validated. I always get confused with the Can we all agree threads.

Fbh

It's a fun game with enjoyable combat and some really cool locations and levels .

It just wasn't what a lot of fans wanted from the DMC franchise and so it gets way more hate than it deserves.

Ahasverus

It's the best western character action game and a top 10 in the genre so of course.

The only sin of the western versions of classic franchises (DmC, Castlevania) was that their parent companies promoted hem as REPLACEMENTS instead of ALTERNATIVES so they suffered fanboy rage. All they BOTH had to do was say "Here it's DmC/Lords of Shadow, there's also DMC5/Symphony of the Night 11 coming, enjoy!". That was it.

We missed some great series.

Apathy

I really liked the game. A lot of very vocal people on GAF didn't like it and they kept taking about it. But like everything else, play it yourself it you want and you decide if you like it or not

Sayad

It's the best western character action game and a top 10 in the genre so of course.

The only sin of the western versions of classic franchises (DmC, Castlevania) was that their parent companies promoted hem as REPLACEMENTS instead of ALTERNATIVES so they suffered fanboy rage. All they BOTH had to do was say "Here it's DmC/Lords of Shadow, there's also DMC5/Symphony of the Night 11 coming, enjoy!". That was it.

We missed some great series.
Being promoted as a replacement for the original CV was the least of Lords of Shadow faults, especially the second game, I've yet to meat a single soul that actually liked it!

Iceternal

DmC? I like how you think you're supposed to hate the game, and then you play it and are now confused because you like it. This is why it's important to play stuff yourself and form your own opinion.

THIS ! and the contrary is also true.

I found Titanfall 2 to be generic garbage when it's been hyped up on GAF.

And DmC has one of my favorite OSTs ever. But this is very subjective and I get why you could hate it.

Ahasverus

Being promoted as a replacement for the original CV was the least of Lords of Shadow faults, especially the second game, I've yet to meat a single soul that actually liked it!
There was a thread about it last week, there were a few! And I hate/like it myself, like, it could have been so much more and is so flawed, but damn me if I don't geek out in the castle parts and the prologue or everything after meeting Victor.

The PR disaster of "forget everything you know about..." poisoned the well, made a very vocal majority of the fanbases voice their hate at every turn, which in turn turned off the mainstream audience. LoS 1 did very well, but then MoF cemented the hate wave (granted, it was not a great game, but it wasn't horrible). Then LoS2 got 3/10 and 4/10 which it doesn't really deserve.

But DmC is the most extreme case of PR provoked hate death. That's because the game is not good, it's /fantastic/, but they pissed off the fans of an untouchable, technical series. It should have been the "casual" version of DMC with DMC also releasing in a timely manner.

sn00zer

I loked it a lot the combat especially. Really should be adopted by other games. Lets you get into the meat of the systems immediately.

The game is great! Not counting the story, of course.
The controls and combat flow really well. I wish other action games tried that structure.

yurinka

It's a fun, great game with awesome gameplay (maybe the best in the genre after Bayonetta games) and awesome art design.

Asriel

DmC is a blast and a play it on-an-off just for the combat.

And while the story isn't NT's best, it's at least memorable for me. Can't say the same for other games in the series.

breadtruck

What's wrong with me?
You let the GAF snobs tell you what you should like. They will tell you what movies you should hate or love too, if you let them. Think for yourself!

But yeah, DMC was a ton of fun, and I thought new-Dante was a pretty cool refresh of the character.

Neonep

NT was brought in for story and couldn't even do that right. They still have yet to make a great game.

Also the PR for this game was absolutely atrosius. You guys see how MVC:I is being handled. Now imagine the same thing but dragged out over years and the fan base being insulted. Some of you guys don't remember that and don't see why a bunch of people hate on this game.

Top Bottom