• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are infectiously catchy pop songs looked down upon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

What makes a catchy song bad?

Catchy songs aren't bad.

Bad songs are bad. Some of those bad songs just happen to be catchy, and it just so happens that many of these bad songs that are catchy just happen to be popular songs these days.

There have been some good songs that have been catchy as well (and popular).

(Note, if something is stated to be bad or good in the post, it is entirely my opinion, not meant to be taken as an objective statement)

MIKA's "Popular Song" has been stuck in my head for like a week even though it sounds like it belongs on the Disney Channel.

deli2000

I guess looking at this thread i'm a hipster because i'm not a fan of Generic Trendy Boyband #12, or Teenage Heartthrob #23.

Hipsters aren't real. And people who call 'them' out are making more generalizations than the 'Hipsters' themselves.

But of course if a song is catchy it must be good. Let's not pay attention to artistic merit anymore.

Because for the most part they feel like a product trying to fool you and all other simple-minded people.

I love these kinds of songs in certain situations, but for the most part I want something with a bit more heart and pain to it, rather than the skills of a producer with dollar-signs for eyes.

Dishwalla

Banned
Because songs like "Firework" have a way of drilling into your brain and never leaving. It's been what, two or three years since that song came out, and I still find myself singing it at random moments.

I think that some of it is that a lot of the opinion leaders in the music scene, the people that appear to decide what's cool or not, tend to be musicians themselves in one form or another.

Music is hard and it gets really complicated, really fast if you get into it. It takes years of training to get good enough to perform for people and even longer to be able to write or music at a consistent level because there is so much to learn. The music business is also very fickle in terms of what sells, so making a living, let alone reaching a wide audience, is also a struggle.

Then these people who have worked so hard see pop stars with pitchy voices and no instrumental skill to speak of hit it big with very simple songs written by someone else and they rage. To a struggling musician's eyes, the creation of a pop star or a pop song look easy and their own lack of success in spite of their incredibly hard efforts breed resentment. Behind much of the criticism, I can see there being a lot of sour grapes and "I could have done that!"

Trurl

Banned
You can't satiate your diet on candy.

This is a good analogy.

They're looked down upon because they're is usually no reward for listening to them closely. They're shallow. Spending some time with a Beatles album will increase your appreciation of it musically and lyrically, my appreciation of Bieber's "Baby" is never going to go beyond the fun I had listening to it the first time.

But of course if a song is catchy it must be good. Let's not pay attention to artistic merit anymore.
Hamsterdance is one of the most artistically significant compositions of the 20th century.

iamblades

I've never got the 'catchiness' of pop music. I have about the opposite reaction, those kind of songs lose my interest by the second chorus most of the time. Challenging songs, musically speaking, stick in my brain way better than simplistic pop stuff, in terms of trying to figure out how the pieces fit together and why the artist made the choices they did, etc. Nothing is interesting if you know what is coming every time, and you already know the answers to all the questions you could possibly have about the song.

It's more the strict steady 4/4 time that I'm sensitive to(dance music has ruined pop), but having simplistic and uninteresting harmonic structures doesn't help at all. I'm not against a song using strict 4/4 or I V vi IV or other common tropes in pop music, but if you are going to use them, you damn well better do something interesting in some other area. If you are doing the same time signature at the same tempo using the same chord progression with the same instruments and tone as every other song on the radio, I'm sorry, but the best melody in the world isn't going to keep me interested in that shit.

burgervan

Because for the most part they feel like a product trying to fool you and all other simple-minded people.

I love these kinds of songs in certain situations, but for the most part I want something with a bit more heart and pain to it, rather than the skills of a producer with dollar-signs for eyes.

Only you can see through pop music's lies, man!

SamVimes

^bleh, stuff like 3 chords and the truth is what makes me hate Christgau. Not that i like any music critic in particular, but he's the worst.
Only you can see through pop music's lies, man!

Have you ever considered that you are, you know, wrong? It's quite obvious that the vast majority of pop songs of the season have no artistic merit and it's fine if you don't care about that but it seems like you're getting awfully defensive.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I guess looking at this thread i'm a hipster because i'm not a fan of Generic Trendy Boyband #12, or Teenage Heartthrob #23.

Hipsters aren't real. And people who call 'them' out are making more generalizations than the 'Hipsters' themselves.

This post is hipster as fuck.

Jarate

Banned
Heres my problem, in the entire history of music, one of the longest standing art forms ever created, you're telling me that I should listen to something that was crafted to be consumed by the lowest common denominator. I could understand your problems if music was fairly new, and there wasnt much too it, but why listen to Ke$ha when I can listen to thousands of other bands who are not only much better at everything that Ke$ha is trying to do, but also produce music with a crap ton more substance.

Isent this a internet message board thing? Ive never met a single person in real life who looked down upon these songs, most people at clubs love to sing along and have fun with it. The entire "they dont write their own songs/its shallow and stupid/they are not real artists" to me was only seen on various corners of the internet.

It was hilarious when basketball player Westbrook was singing along to KeSha's Die Young, yet most people online were like "ugh thats not a real song, its stupid mass manufactured crap"

I don't think its just an internet thing, I think its a peer pressure thing. People go along with liking the "popular" songs at the moment so that they don't feel left out. And when they are on the internet there is no peer pressure, so they can express their real opinions.

Kyzer

Banned
the ones i do hate are because they hold zero artistic value, there is no genuine self expression, theyre often corny/cheesy, and more often than not are not even written by the recording artist. its just fake as fuck.

burgervan

^bleh, stuff like 3 chords and the truth is what makes me hate Christgau. Not that i like any music critic in particular, but he's the worst.

Have you ever considered that you are, you know, wrong? It's quite obvious that the vast majority of pop songs of the season have no artistic merit and it's fine if you don't care about that but it seems like you're getting awfully defensive.

Look, I have absolutely no problem with people not liking any type of music. We all have different tastes, I just don't like being called simple minded because I happen to enjoy something with a catchy melody and a rhythm that I can dance to. I don't like MOST of what's on top 40 radio, but I'm also not willing to dismiss ALL of it like some people here are.

I would be very interested to hear what music you consider to have actual artistic merit. I might even agree with you, but it's still just what sounds good to you. You can intellectualize it all you want, but if it doesn't sound good to someone, why would they listen to it?

Liking pop music is like preferring Taco Bell to real Mexican food. It's fine and all if that's what you like. I'm not looking down on you guys devouring your prefabricated shells. I'm not.
I just prefer the real thing. Real instruments. Real voices. Real emotions. Real tacos.

they're only looked down upon on Gaf, which everyone and their mom think the best songs are unknown alternatives. and also try to be cool

There's nothing wrong with catchy pop songs, they've been around for more than half a century. My problem with today's chart-toppers is the complete lack of stylistic variety. 90% of the "popular" songs today seem to be YOLO Spring Break nightclub 4-beat thumpers. Sure, there are some exceptions like Adele, Flo & the Machine, Gotye, etc. But in the past there seemed to be more variety in "top 40 radio" like reggae, punk, ska, hip-hop, metal, r&b, soul, blues, country, hard rock, alternative, etc. Now it seems to be all clubby and vapid.

Into

I don't think its just an internet thing, I think its a peer pressure thing. People go along with liking the "popular" songs at the moment so that they don't feel left out. And when they are on the internet there is no peer pressure, so they can express their real opinions.

Or they feel peer pressure online, where everyone is trying to one up one another, whether it be movies, games, music etc. Saying you like Call of Duty you instantly get branded as a mindless "bro" with shit for brains. You are suppose to like artistic indie games instead, local upstart bands and films that premiered at the Cannes film festival.

Perhaps people can just have fun in real life easier, as they do not have to "fit" in with a large community on the internet, its just their friends who know them for who they are and not thousands of faceless people on the internet who are quick to judge one another, as it is easy by sheer nature of anonymity.

Its so much easier to create a new image for yourself online, and by claiming you like exclusive and unknown things in music it might help make you more distinct than just another dude/girl in a club singing along to KeSha.

burgervan

Liking pop music is like preferring Taco Bell to real Mexican food. It's fine and all if that's what you like. I'm not looking down on you guys devouring your prefabricated shells. I'm not.
I just prefer the real thing. Real instruments. Real voices. Real emotions. Real tacos.

What's a real instrument? An electric guitar? Who are you to say that someone like Lady Gaga or Bruno Mars aren't putting their real emotions into their music?

I agree with you on pitch correction software though. That's pretty lame.

A lot of them are very cheesy to me and incredibly annoying to me. Once I hear the same song on every radio station, TV ad, movie trailer I get really sick of it and my annoyance turns into hate. I don't think of myself as some type of music snob, I just like what I like.

Or they feel peer pressure online, where everyone is trying to one up one another, whether it be movies, games, music etc. Saying you like Call of Duty you instantly get branded as a mindless "bro" with shit for brains. You are suppose to like artistic indie games instead, local upstart bands and films that premiered at the Cannes film festival.

Perhaps people can just have fun in real life easier, as they do not have to "fit" in with a large community on the internet, its just their friends who know them for who they are and not thousands of faceless people on the internet who are quick to judge one another, as it is easy by sheer nature of anonymity.

Its so much easier to create a new image for yourself online, and by claiming you like exclusive and unknown things in music it might help make you more distinct than just another dude/girl in a club singing along to KeSha.
is it really so hard to comprehend that maybe, just maybe, they don't like the media described for reasons other than a glimpse of superiority or belonging?

you can like these things, which is absolutely fine, but it doesn't imply anyone else is in denial for sake of their image.

Into

is it really so hard to comprehend that maybe, just maybe, they don't like the media described for reasons other than a glimpse of superiority or belonging?

I was replying to the other poster, claiming that people are maybe faking it in real life just to fit in. My reply was that people could just as well be faking it online as they can in real life.

What's a real instrument? An electric guitar? Who are you to say that someone like Lady Gaga or Bruno Mars aren't putting their real emotions into their music?

I agree with you on pitch correction software though. That's pretty lame.
I should say I prefer artists who play an instrument or at least who don't just pipe in music when performing live. And a lot of these "artists" are still lip synching and using software.
I probably shouldn't make blanket statements, but I'm just talking in general. Of course there are pop songs with real emotions and singing, etc. And I still enjoy Taco Bell and a good pop song now and then. Everything has a place.

I was replying to the other poster, claiming that people are maybe faking it in real life just to fit in. My reply was that people could just as well be faking it online as they can in real life.
yeah, excuse me.

still, to actually address your counterpoint, i don't think the pressure to conform on the internet is as strong. it's harder to get away from the people you interact with in real life. the consequences of not conforming are much less severe and far-reaching. you're right in that it could happen, though!

Clipjoint

Obligatory...

y6QFV7k.jpg

Rad-

Me not working hard?
Yeah, right, picture that with a Kodak
Or better yet, go to Times Square
And take a picture of me with a Kodak

They all sound the same

Repetitive by definition

Often poorly written

They're made for the purpose of making money, which personally is not the point of art (which to me music is)

They're lazy, easy to make, and make more money than tracks that have a lot more talent and effort put into them

They drown out better more unique music

Stupid people think that anything that doesn't fit into the mould is automatically crap

Just a few reasons.

JCX

I listen to real music. None of this johnny-come-lately guitar/singing shit. I only listen to wooly mammoth bone drumming.

burgervan

I should say I prefer artists who play an instrument or at least who don't just pipe in music when performing live. And a lot of these "artists" are still lip synching and using software.
I probably shouldn't make blanket statements, but I'm just talking in general. Of course there are pop songs with real emotions and singing, etc. And I still enjoy Taco Bell and a good pop song now and then. Everything has a place.

Live performance is a completely different thing. I'm with you on all of that. I just have a bad reaction when people refer to certain music as "real." I don't even know what "fake" music could possibly be. Some of the greatest songs ever written were performed by people who didn't even write them. Pretty much all of Motown for instance.

SamVimes

Look, I have absolutely no problem with people not liking any type of music. We all have different tastes, I just don't like being called simple minded because I happen to enjoy something with a catchy melody and a rhythm that I can dance to. I don't like MOST of what's on top 40 radio, but I'm also not willing to dismiss ALL of it like some people here are.

I would be very interested to hear what music you consider to have actual artistic merit. I might even agree with you, but it's still just what sounds good to you. You can intellectualize it all you want, but if it doesn't sound good to someone, why would they listen to it?

I don't think that a list would be interesting or even appropriate, i just tend to like artists that aren't just looking to write an "easy" hit and try to bring a refreshing approach: this includes everything from massively popular artists like The Beatles to less known stuff.

They all sound the same

Repetitive by definition

Often poorly written

They're made for the purpose of making money, which personally is not the point of art (which to me music is)

They're lazy, easy to make, and make more money than tracks that have a lot more talent and effort put into them

They drown out better more unique music

Stupid people think that anything that doesn't fit into the mould is automatically crap

Just a few reasons.
So why don't struggling indies crap out a few hit pop songs every once in a while (to pay the bills) then get back to their art? Makes sense to me to have pop music as a day job if it really is that easy.

ATF487

Really catchy top 40 songs are like sweets, good in small doses but not very nourishing and their appeal is simple. There are generally few hidden layers.

I like a good pop song now and then, but as a big advocate for the album format, I don't find that much value in just enjoying one good single unless it's a part of something bigger.

SamVimes

So why don't struggling indies crap out a few hit pop songs every once in a while (to pay the bills) then get back to their art? Makes sense to me to have pop music as a day job if it really is that easy.

Because they're usually not what producers are looking for, obviously when you have a Justin Bieber it's easy to make him crap out hits. Some great bands/artists started out with a top 40 shlock, just think of Radiohead or Depeche Mode.

Into

yeah, excuse me.

still, to actually address your counterpoint, i don't think the pressure to conform on the internet is as strong. it's harder to get away from the people you interact with in real life. the consequences of not conforming are much less severe and far-reaching. you're right in that it could happen, though!

Alright, i do agree that there are people who really do enjoy Led Zeppelin, Citizen Kane and classical music. The point i think of the thread is that we should not look down upon anyone likes any kind of music, yet it happens a lot with pop music in particular.

Me not working hard?
Yeah, right, picture that with a Kodak
Or better yet, go to Times Square
And take a picture of me with a Kodak

I can appreciate both catchy pop and expertly written songs that aren't popular. I don't care what people think of it.

I like what I like. I don't give a damn about what if you like it or not. Don't listen to what you don't like. You hear it twenty times in a day? Change the station. Seems simple enough.

Surely a connoisseur of music like people claim they are would be listening to their own stations or playlists and not what is playing on the top 40 stations.

Catching a glimpse of it in passing doesn't count.

I'm just wondering why people who hate dibble would be listening to it all the time and complaining about it.

It would be like complaining about too many FPS's and yet still buying all of th...oh wait, this is GAF :)

I don't listen to the radio so i don't tend to get sick of annoyed of them too often. unless it's just a bad song i disliked from the get go.

I listen to real music. None of this johnny-come-lately guitar/singing shit. I only listen to wooly mammoth bone drumming.
That reminds me. One of the greatest musical experiences I had was laying in the Serengeti at night listening to drummers off in the distance. Just men and their drums. It was amazing. That's real music ; ). I wonder if I would have felt the same if they were piping in Bieber over a loudspeaker..

Live performance is a completely different thing. I'm with you on all of that. I just have a bad reaction when people refer to certain music as "real." I don't even know what "fake" music could possibly be. Some of the greatest songs ever written were performed by people who didn't even write them. Pretty much all of Motown for instance.
I hear you.
Love me some Motown. Even if they didnt write the songs, they sang them with such emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom