• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Overwatch's Summer Games Are A Problem

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Generally I have been fine with the way they are monetizing lootboxes, but the not being able to spend currency on the items from Summer Games lootboxes is disheartening.

I want that or at least trading. I got a legendary skin I don't care much about, but that a friend of mine badly wants. His only option is to pour dozens of more hours into the game or gamble real money

Jawmuncher

All these legendary Zarya and Lucio skins I'll never use and all I want is American McCree.

I know your pain. I literally have every other Summer Skin but that one. I wish if anything you could use coins for loot boxes, or have the skins just be a higher price since they're temporary.

old

A big problem is that it's going to encourage me to stop playing when I'm about to prestige so I can get those quick and easy loot boxes from levels 1-20 during the next "event".

Good game design doesn't encourage players to not play.

The Technomancer

When did Blizzard ever say how seasonal events would work prior to releasing Overwatch?

They sure said how unlocks would work

lootbox.jpg

kobu

They're outfits. Don't want to spend money on them then don't.

My game still plays exactly the same.

I like costumes and I would like to be able to buy the ones I want. This random loot box shit is the worst type of f2p model yet everyone seems to be okay with it all of a sudden.

baphomet

I also absolutely hate that I really really really enjoy a game, a game that is clearly based on a free to play model, that still costs $60 on consoles.

I'm sorry, but what part of this is based on FTP? I've had the game since launch and have no issues playing multiple hours every day, and I've yet to pay a cent on top of the $39.99 entry fee.

I don't think you know what a FTP game actually is.

Blizzard

Banned
As long as this content remains purely cosmetic, I reaaaaaaally don't see the issue.
The issue is at least threefold:
  1. Invalidating their own currency and player trust to some extent (people thought they could earn coins and use them for most everything)
  2. Hunting whales and people with gambling problems F2P style in a non-F2P game (you might spend a ton of money on crates to get one particular one you want)
  3. Claiming they want the skins to feel rare and special, yet allowing people to spend a ton of money to buy them (if they really wanted them to be rare and special, give each player 1 box of 4 summer items, and that's it, nothing else).

If they'd outright said "We want players to spend lots of gambling money for a chance at a cosmetic item they want, and if we let players used saved coins that wouldn't happen" then it would be a bit more honest in my opinion.

JCX

It doesn't affect gameplay so this isn't really a concern. It'd be an issue if the costumes had special buffs, but they're just clothes for your digital doll.

I'm sorry, but what part of this is based on FTP? I've had the game since launch and have no issues playing multiple hours every day, and I've yet to pay a cent on top of the $39.99 entry fee.

Clearly you don't remember having to buy all 22 characters individually or grinding to unlock them

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not getting the 1 item I wanted completely ruined the event for me, I can't afford to drop £30 - £60 on boxes for a chance at it, and I can't spend my currency on it so I'm just screwed and it's not a good feeling, having to go through this disappointment every event will really suck.

ramyeon

Not getting the 1 item I wanted completely ruined the event for me, I can't afford to drop £30 - £60 on boxes for a chance at it, and I can't spend my currency on it so I'm just screwed and it's not a good feeling, having to go through this disappointment every event will really suck.
I mean all of the stuff (And more) will be back next Summer.

I spent $40 on Summer Games Loot Boxes.

$20 + $10 + $10.

I got GBR Racing Tracer, which is all I wanted. So I'm happy.

But I know, I know I'm the problem. It's why they do it. I hate myself for that reason.

But I didn't want to miss out on the outfit forever; and 14 levels didn't get me what I wanted.

Jesus christ

I'd like to point out they also ended Competitive Season 1 five days before the Summer Games promotion ends. They ended the only means of getting XP in an efficient way to earn those loot boxes without buying them. Have fun trying to get anything in the next few days before it ends without spending more cash.
is agree with most of this, but how do you figure on this point? Competitive is slower if anything. Comp games give more xp because they're LONGER. They give less xp per hour though because fewer games won, fewer medals, no consecutive game bonus, and fewer games means less chance at a first win of the day bonus. Go play quick play. It's no slower for xp than competitive, unless they've changed something.

You didn't specify maps. You can't just change the meaning of "content" to fit your narrative like that.

That doesn't make any sense. They said the game price cosmetics and items to sell loot boxes would be used to create content. That leaves heroes, maps and modes.

Maps and Modes are every bit as important as the characters themselves.

The Technomancer

The issue is at least threefold:
  1. Invalidating their own currency and player trust to some extent (people thought they could earn coins and use them for most everything)
  2. Hunting whales and people with gambling problems F2P style in a non-F2P game (you might spend a ton of money on crates to get one particular one you want)
  3. Claiming they want the skins to feel rare and special, yet allowing people to spend a ton of money to buy them (if they really wanted them to be rare and special, give each player 1 box of 4 summer items, and that's it, nothing else).

If they'd outright said "We want players to spend lots of gambling money for a chance at a cosmetic item they want, and if we let players used saved coins that wouldn't happen" then it would be a bit more honest in my opinion.
I will continue to say that there is no defense for them not taking any one of a half dozen cues from how Dota 2 handles this stuff almost perfectly other than greed. Not even all of them. Just one or two. Just allowing for trading, or just disallowing dupes, or just allowing for direct purchase of items

phaonaut

I got every costume except summer mccree and lot of the other stuff without spending any cash on boxes. It sucks if you dont get it, but at the end of the day its only cosmetic stuff.

ramyeon

That doesn't make any sense. They said the game price cosmetics and items to sell loot boxes would be used to create content. That leaves heroes, maps and modes.

You said they didn't drop ANY content prior to the Summer Event.

Which is simply not true.

Acerac

Banned
I like costumes and I would like to be able to buy the ones I want. This random loot box shit is the worst type of f2p model yet everyone seems to be okay with it all of a sudden.

Most of the games that people rail against make players stronger when they spend money, when it's purely cosmetic it is a lot easier for me to not be upset about it.

Blizzard

Banned

Would you agree League of Legends is Free To Play?

And yet, I haven't spent any money in League of Legends. Does that mean League of Legends isn't F2P? :p Of course not.

Overwatch added an element used in F2P games -- paying real money to increase the odds of random cosmetics. Obviously it's not precisely the same model, but it seems pretty clearly to be related.

They are a problem for me because I spent over 100 fucking dollars and didn't get the item I wanted most. Probably opened around 150 boxes at this point total from leveling and purchasing

Never again

Kusagari

I'm sure Blizz sold more than enough loot boxes before they added this change to these limited time items. It just feels like them taking advantage of people with gambling problems who might have bad luck with RNG.

I was fine with them selling loot boxes. I am not fine with this. It feels like a step too far and just icky.

I spent $10 today hoping I would get Zarya's summer skin. I didn't get it. That's all I wanted from this event and I'm not getting it though the 30+ loot boxes I've opened so far.

Tovarisc

This is the part that gets me. The fact that they are the first cosmetics added for most characters just makes it that much more annoying when many have been saving their currency.

Don't worry! "Soon" we will get one (1) new skin and some emotes that we can burn in-game currency on!

usp84

Spending hundreds of dollars to have chance of winning something cosmetic.I will never undestand

Just the fact you can potentially buy an infinite number of loot boxes and not get the thing you want (because you can't use your damn normal currency) just rubs me the wrong way. At least put a price tag on the skins so people can get what they want. Just some alternate way to get it would be fine instead of relying on RNG.

is agree with most of this, but how do you figure on this point? Competitive is slower if anything. Comp games give more xp because they're LONGER. They give less xp per hour though because fewer games won, fewer medals, no consecutive game bonus, and fewer games means less chance at a first win of the day bonus. Go play quick play. It's no slower for xp than competitive, unless they've changed something.
Was gonna point this out. Comp is the worst way to get xp. A match can go up to 30+ minutes. The max you'll usually get from a long match, with the 20℅ xp boost is about 5.5-6k.

If you REALLY want to grind xp, you're better off playing lucio ball. Less than 4 minutes(unless it's nothing but goals and their replays), and if you win in a group, you'll get between 2-2.3k per match. Easy way to level up at least once per hour.

kobu

Most of the games that people rail against make players stronger when they spend money, when it's purely cosmetic it is a lot easier for me to not be upset about it.

At least in those games I can just buy overpowered gun.

I'm sure Blizz sold more than enough loot boxes before they added this change to these limited time items. It just feels like them taking advantage of people with gambling problems who might have bad luck with RNG.

I was fine with them selling loot boxes. I am not fine with this. It feels like a step too far and just icky.

Yup by putting time limited factor in to place (non competitive reward) but bought it turns this into a gambling platform.

Blizzard

Banned
I will continue to say that there is no defense for them not taking any one of a half dozen cues from how Dota 2 handles this stuff almost perfectly other than greed. Not even all of them. Just one or two. Just allowing for trading, or just disallowing dupes, or just allowing for direct purchase of items
Yep, any of those would have improved the situation. Getting a duplicate summer legendary drop is such a hilarious thing when the coins can't be used for summer items.

And...

They are a problem for me because I spent over 100 fucking dollars and didn't get the item I wanted most. Probably opened around 150 boxes at this point total from leveling and purchasing

Never again
...this sort of thing happens. Someone who likes your game does the equivalent of buying the game 3+ times, and still doesn't get the single cosmetic item you offered. It's easy to say "Well everyone should have self-control", but not everyone is the same.

ramyeon

When did I say any? I think I said actual. Implying things that a actually affect the gameplay in a meaningful way.
I'm not sure why you're arguing semantics when the meaning is the same.

You said "Why did you do a skin summer event before releasing actual new content?"

When they have released ACTUAL new content in the form of Ana.

Do you mean to say that a new hero doesn't affect the gameplay in a meaningful way?

They never actually said they'd use one to fund the other, or even that they would produce a particular quantity of any of it. At this point we've had several additional modes rotated through by way of brawl, we've received a new character, and we're looking at the addition of a new map in the near future. It's hardly overwhelming, but they aren't really coming up short of their word either.

Acerac

Banned
"It's worse other places, so it's alright that it's bad here."

Also, you're comparing F2P Mobile games to a P2P Desktop title.

How about Madden, NHL, or FIFA and their ultimate teams? They are flagrantly worse than Blizzard's implementation in every possible way, and yet they don't receive nearly the flak that Overwatch does. Granted, that's because they aren't popular titles around here, but I do not think that Overwatch's model is anything worse than the norm.
At least in those games I can just buy overpowered gun.

You should buy me a Kaede.

I don't understand why you can't buy the items. Just make them cost more than the top tier. They're all 1,000, right? Make them 1,500 or something. If players have played enough to have that currency just sitting in their account you should let them use it

gatti-man

There's absolutely no incentive to spend any money and it has absolutely no effect on gameplay.

The game has been built on false promises. It is incredibly light on content and releases new skins locked behind loot boxes when there is an in game currency. It's a money grab. Pay to win isn't the only thing that matters in such a content light game being sold for $60.

LostDonkey

It's all a problem for me. I bought this game after all the hype, few friends have it, Played it like 3 times and I can't stand it.

I like the character designs, just not the gameplay.

They're outfits. Don't want to spend money on them then don't.

My game still plays exactly the same.

I wish it was that simple. No, I don't want to spend money on them. I definitely don't want to spend way more than they should cost on "random" loot boxes. Expensive loot boxes that provide me with the overwhelmingly likely chance I won't get the item I want anyway. Instead just more spray dupes for only $40 for 50 attempts that are going to end in disappointment. It's super scummy you can't purchase this stuff with in-game currency. Even scummier that they ended the best way to earn xp/loot boxes 5 days before the promotion ends. Scummy.

And all of our games still work the same, yes. That's good you're happy being locked away from the majority of the content in a $60 purchase. I'm not. I really love the game, but Blizzard sucks. It sucks even more people let it slide.

The game has been built on false promises. It is incredibly light on content and releases new skins locked behind loot boxes when there is an in game currency. It's a money grab. Pay to win isn't the only thing that matters in such a content light game being sold for $60.
What false promises? I'm not a fan of the way the event was done but I don't really feel misled.

I'm sorry the Destiny Icon combined with your first sentence just killed me. I agree with what you're saying though.

Top Bottom