• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Overwatch's Summer Games Are A Problem

ramyeon

Even scummier that they ended the best way to earn xp/loot boxes 5 days before the promotion ends. Scummy.
This is not true and several posters have already pointed it out. Not sure why you think this is the case but you're better off playing Quick Play or Lucioball for grinding XP.

galvenize

I've always seen the lootboxes as something extra and never got compelled to directly buy them. I play the game because of the gameplay being solid and me wanting to get better with every hero.
Actually, there are so little skins I care about that I've got a ton of coins and I don't know what to spend them on.

This is ridiculous. Overwatch needs these revenue streams to deliver future content. It's a niche title from an indie developer that is probably barely staying in business, and they are being published by a small time publisher who is always at risk of going out of business due to no hit titles. These guys need the money and all you guys do is shit on them for being greedy; I guess you want more layoffs in the industry.

Boo hoo, poor Blizzard. Overwatch is really struggling financially.

What's ridiculous is selling Summer Games loot boxes with dupes and straight gold drops when you can't exchange gold for Summer Games items.

Of course, I'm sure without this system, they'd never sell enough loot boxes to scrape by.

*edit* Ignore me. I can't read.

Are you sure? It's heavily implied that this is special event made with 2016 Olympics in mind. Set of one off cosmetics, miss out now and you miss out for good.

IIRC Blizzard said they're bringing back the games next summer. These are the "summer games" not the olympics

ramyeon

Are you sure? It's heavily implied that this is special event made with 2016 Olympics in mind. Set of one off cosmetics, miss out now and you miss out for good.
I'm not sure where you think they heavily implied this. I'm sure the Olympics had influence on the choice of theme for the Summer event but it is not a tie in.

In the dev stream for the release of this they said that seasonal events will be recurring every year with a high likelihood that new skins etc would be added each time.

Yeezus

I understand the pain (I have yet to get my nation's flag (got 4 others tho D:)) but this sort of practice has been par for the course for a while I feel like. Vote with your time, vote with your dollar; people have a right to be frustrated but if Blizzard made bank off this stunt the format won't be likely change in the future.

The game has been built on false promises. It is incredibly light on content and releases new skins locked behind loot boxes when there is an in game currency. It's a money grab. Pay to win isn't the only thing that matters in such a content light game being sold for $60.
lol, how is it content light? What do you want? More maps? More heroes? More gametypes?

PaulloDEC

I'll be a little bummed if the Summer Games end and I don't have that Sprinter Tracer skin I wanted, but I'm hardly going to kick up a fuss about it. It's just a skin.

I get why people are worked up about this stuff, but I can't share their outrage. I've already gotten more entertainment for my initial purchase cost than I have with almost any other game I own. I can't be mad about a few unattainable cosmetics.

Sayad

Fuck that, then I couldn't get any of them. That'd be much worse for me as somebody who doesn't want to pay any money past my initial investment.
Why would it be worse?! You'd still have a chance at getting them from boxes, just the way they are right now, the idea is to save people who are willing to pay from gambling.

is agree with most of this, but how do you figure on this point? Competitive is slower if anything. Comp games give more xp because they're LONGER. They give less xp per hour though because fewer games won, fewer medals, no consecutive game bonus, and fewer games means less chance at a first win of the day bonus. Go play quick play. It's no slower for xp than competitive, unless they've changed something.

Guess it depends on a lot of factors. In a group of 6 friends my xp rate in ranked destroys what we get from quick play. I'm also going to argue quick play takes longer on the whole because of the lack of a ruleset for picking characters. Either run 50 of the same characters, to match the other team in hopes to drag out the game with a chance to win, or just run your ranked team setup and probably get trashed by a bunch of scrubs with a broken team. Sounds fun, but I think I'll just take a two week break until Season 2 starts and accept the fact I'm not getting any of the skins I wanted without giving them more money.

gatti-man

What false promises? I'm not a fan of the way the event was done but I don't really feel misled.

Boxes will bring free content. The content coming is sparse that isn't hidden behind loot boxes. The game even with 4 new maps is still incredibly content light and we are getting one new map. At this rate the game might actually have decent content in two years. After taking $60 from millions of players and untold millions in loot boxes. It's a scam.

I enjoyed it while I could. When I tired of the paultry amount of content I took a break then this Olympic Games thing hit and I was going to turn it on to spend some of my gold and play again except the new "content" is locked behind loot boxes with no gold option. That's when I took it out and feel no need to return.

How? It's all cosemetic items. They aren't selling you hereos or maps or anything that impacts your ability to play the game.

The game ships with a crazy small amount of content. With loot boxes having all the best skins. On the promise that content is on he way. After months we get one character and a future map. 1 map. But hey we also get tons of new skins locked behind more loot boxes with no gold option. How is this not a money grab? Overwatch should have been free to play with all this nonsense packed in.

Mik317

would be neat to be able to buy them (even if it was locked to real money only)...but eh.

no like? no buy.

This place loves to go "vote with your wallet". If you get outvoted by peeps who don't give a fuck...then oh well.

injurai

Banned
The gambling is a problem
You could easily spend over €200 and not get the item you want

As long as this content remains purely cosmetic, I reaaaaaaally don't see the issue.

Exactly, the problem is the gambling aspect. It preys on chance by dangling rewards in front of people. Just how gambling preys on the few, loot boxes prey on money whales that don't rationalize the amount of money that they are spending on digital slot machines.

Seiru

Banned
The game has been built on false promises. It is incredibly light on content and releases new skins locked behind loot boxes when there is an in game currency. It's a money grab. Pay to win isn't the only thing that matters in such a content light game being sold for $60.

I don't know, I feel like my $60 was well spent on it. Gotten many many hours of fun gameplay out of it. Also, I don't know what false promises you're referring to.

Acerac

Banned
Why would it be worse?! You'd still have a chance at getting them from boxes, just the way they are right now, the idea is to save people who are willing to pay from gambling.

When you said they'd be purchasable through real money only, I assumed you meant that the only way you could get them would be by using real money. Now that I understand what you're saying, that does seem very reasonable.

I can totally see them make each costume/skin available for purchase for the last day

"Didn't get the skin you wanted? For one day only you can buy the one you want for your character"
They don't care if people complain , bring on the $$$$$

I'd rather have cosmetics sold to whales than pay-for maps that split the community.

I've played a lot of Overwatch and I have never, for one second, thought about buying a box. I barely care about opening the free ones that trickle out. It's a first person game.

Tovarisc

How? It's all cosemetic items. They aren't selling you hereos or maps or anything that impacts your ability to play the game.

Like Jim Sterling said in Jimquisition (paraphrasing); You don't put any value on cosmetic items and that is fine, but some of us do put value on them and really want them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The summer event came unprompted. Loads of free cosmetic items were injected into the game. You log into the game and there is new free stuff, with players earning increased rewards the more they play. There should not be an expectation to unlock everything.

Overwatch has been a crazy money grab. It's totally turned me off the game. Idk if I'll ever turn it back on.

Pretty much, I was fool to buy this game on console...$60 for a game that requires you to pay money for cosmetics to "fund" development...then ask me WTF was the $60 for? Oh and don't tell me about free heroes and maps...

Also loot boxes are complete BS...everything is random and you can get friggen duplicates....WTF....scummy as ****

Boxes will bring free content. The content coming is sparse that isn't hidden behind loot boxes. The game even with 4 new maps is still incredibly content light and we are getting one new map. At this rate the game might actually have decent content in two years. After taking $60 from millions of players and untold millions in loot boxes. It's a scam.

I enjoyed it while I could. When I tired of the paultry amount of content I took a break then this Olympic Games thing hit and I was going to turn it on to spend some of my gold and play again except the new "content" is locked behind loot boxes with no gold option. That's when I took it out and feel no need to return.

There were never any promises about the rate at which they'd churn out new shit though. If you bought it with th e expectation that' it'd balloon rapidly in size... I don't think they misled you to that expectation. I'm sorry you weren't happy with what you got, but this ain't some episodic release. You didn't buy a season pass. The game is the game, and anything we got after is gravy.

The summer event came unprompted. Loads of free cosmetic items were injected into the game. You log into the game and there is new free stuff, with players earning increased rewards the more they play. There should not be an expectation to unlock everything.

New content does not equal a good thing. If the content makes the player base upset or makes players generally irritated or unhappy you failed as a game developer.

gatti-man

I don't know, I feel like my $60 was well spent on it. Gotten many many hours of fun gameplay out of it. Also, I don't know what false promises you're referring to.

There were never any promises about the rate at which they'd churn out new shit though. If you bought it with th e expectation that' it'd balloon rapidly in size... I don't think they misled you to that expectation. I'm sorry you weren't happy with what you got, but this ain't some episodic release. You didn't buy a season pass. The game is the game, and anything we got after is gravy.

Go through the OT and see how many people take their free content and guarantee tons of maps are on the way. Blizzard should have said "these loot boxes will like our pockets and we will throw you a map or 2 a year enjoy" not "loot boxes will fund game development all future content is free". That makes it sound like real content is on the horizon not a tiny drip feed.

It helped diffuse the criticism that the game shipped in a half finished state. Mechanics and characters were done. Modes and maps? Not so much.

"The game is the game" yeah it's barely a game. That's my whole point. Given for what you get at $60 it's a money grab. Hence my post. It feels f2p.

Sure, but it sucks knowing there's a strong chance you might not unlock any of the new skins and you'll have to wait a whole year to get another chance to unlock them. It sucks that I'm probably not gonna get Zarya's skin and am now stuck with the skins that I personally don't think are great.

nynt9

What false promise? It's been in forms of beta for years and everything about the game was known from the start. All gameplay relevant content (heroes, maps) are available to everyone for free, and the only content that you can pay for, you can also unlock in-game. Complaining about this model is ridiculous. It's the best continuous payment model I've seen for a game hands down. Beats having to pay for actually gameplay impacting content or being nickle and dimed for boosters and energy and shit.

ramyeon

Sure, but it sucks knowing there's a strong chance you might not unlock any of the new skins and you'll have to wait a whole year to get another chance to unlock them. It sucks that I'm probably not gonna get Zarya's skin and am now stuck with the skins that I personally don't think are great.
It's okay man, Midnight is objectively Zarya's best skin anyway.

That's cool but since it's random what's to say I'll get that stuff next year either?
Nothing. Its still pretty lame; how they did it. But people are under the mistaken impression that this is a once in four years thing and I thought it was worth me correcting that it's not QUITE that bad. Still pretty bad though. Sorta reminds me of brew fest mounts in wow.

gatti-man

What false promise? It's been in forms of beta for years and everything about the game was known from the start. All gameplay relevant content (heroes, maps) are available to everyone for free, and the only content that you can pay for, you can also unlock in-game. Complaining about this model is ridiculous. It's the best continuous payment model I've seen for a game hands down. Beats having to pay for actually gameplay impacting content or being nickle and dimed for boosters and energy and shit.

Already spelled this out in posts above.

You can't unlock all content in game that's about as disingenuous a claim as all future content is free. Yeah it better be game barely has any content as is.

Garlador

Like Jim Sterling said in Jimquisition (paraphrasing); You don't put any value on cosmetic items and that is fine, but some of us do put value on them and really want them.
Like me. Costumes and skin unlocks are some of my favorite bits of content. I grinded like hell in games like Dead or Alive to unlock all their costumes. That's the main reward treadmill I enjoy playing the game for. Turning it into a limited time gambling event blows hard, especially when I don't have hours to grind and what time I do put in didn't yield any good results.

While I agree that Overwatch is super scummy with monetization,

it's less than 1/5th as evil in that regard as TF2.

Coming from the land of keys and unusuals, of stranges and botkillers and name tags and paint and festives and killstreak kits and even needing to buy (or get lucky with a drop) your base weapons that change your gameplay...

Overwatch feels much more "managable" by comparison. Which has helped distract me form the hundreds of dollars I've spent on the game.

Village

Shame there's no swap feature, as I have American McCree but play Lucio, Junkrat, and Reinhardt mostly.

That would be ace

but I suppose that wouldn't make them as much money, to get what you want all you would need is a forum and not have the cadence of someone who is a complete and utter jerk to get what you want. Its like pokemon in that sense, its popular enough that everyone problably has that thing you want and so many of that thing they will throw it at you , or at least someone does

" I need a shin murcrow"

" I have 8"

Go through the OT and see how many people take their free content and guarantee tons of maps are on the way. Blizzard should have said "these loot boxes will like our pockets and we will throw you a map or 2 a year enjoy" not "loot boxes will fund game development all future content is free". That makes it sound like real content is on the horizon not a tiny drip feed.

It helped diffuse the criticism that the game shipped in a half finished state. Mechanics and characters were done. Modes and maps? Not so much.

"The game is the game" yeah it's barely a game. That's my whole point. Given for what you get at $60 it's a money grab. Hence my post. It feels f2p.
I'm sorry if those people Misled you, but they aren't blizzard. Those weren't blizzards false promises. Those people were all delusional. I remember. I was in that thread managing expectations. And fwiw, we disagree about the ultimate value of the boxed product. I can say without hesitation that I've got my money's worth.

Garlador

Better watch out for those optional cosmetics.
Buying the game is optional too. And content is content, otherwise they wouldn't put a price tag on those optional cosmetics. Obviously many people value their inclusion.

Just because it's optional doesn't mean it isn't greedy and exploitative, as well as poorly executed and, in their own terms (which got altered after backlash) dishonest and factually untrue.

But, sure, it's optional, so don't ever complain.

I'll just leave this here.

CU2UYOnh.jpg

Yep that's two summer games player icons in the same box. This just happened to me less than 10 minutes ago.

ramyeon

Crazy that a game with so little content has been my most played game of 2016 (And probably 2015 as well) by a wide margin.

gatti-man

I'm sorry if those people Misled you, but they aren't blizzard. Those weren't blizzards false promises. Those people were all delusional. I remember. I was in that thread managing expectations. And fwiw, we disagree about the ultimate value of the boxed product. I can say without hesitation that I've got my money's worth.

No one mislead me. I bought this game because my friends liked it. Blizzard made vague comments knowing the community would run with it. They fostered that interpretation. Of course they would want people to think that because the game shipped so light of content. Like I've already said I wore it out in a month or less really. Then tried to pick it back up and say their newest money grab and decided I'm totally done with this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
New content does not equal a good thing. If the content makes the player base upset or makes players generally irritated or unhappy you failed as a game developer.
When the new content is free cosmetic unlocks that do not impact the play experience in any way it is difficult to see the downside. If everyone got exactly what they wanted these cosmetics would flood the experience and wouldn't be special at all.

Garlador

When the new content is free cosmetic unlocks that do not impact the play experience in any way it is difficult to see the downside. If everyone got exactly what they wanted these cosmetics would flood the experience and wouldn't be special at all.
They aren't special when you can just punch in your credit card number enough times until you get them while someone else might play every day and not get a skin they actually want. That's a horrible feedback loop.

kirblar

Random Booster Packs/boxes aren't an issue with a currency system.

They set OW up like HS....until they decided to scumbag players in the name of cash.

If HS announced a new expansion where you couldn't craft cards, the player base would be justifiably outraged.

Top Bottom