• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why so much hate for Super Mario Sunshine?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
You can count the number of places the camera is annoying on one hand. It's an issue with the game, but not the huge problem people make it out to be. The worst problem with the game was the final area, which was small and underwhelming while being difficult to navigate. Trying to steer a wooden boat through a river of lava with the FLUDD was a fucking terrible idea, that whole section should have been axed from the game. It's the Mario equivalent of the triforce hunt at the end of Wind Waker.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Dogenzaka said:
One thing I didn't like about Galaxy was how, now that everything is a "planet", it almost gave Miyamoto an excuse to throw random crappy objects in the middle of space for level design even though they made no sense or cohesiveness. Like the random squid water slide..in the middle of space?
There are plenty of games with cohesiveness. Galaxy (and Mario games in general) take the approach of packing in as much imagination and unique game mechanics as possible, and to hell with cohesiveness. I personally think that's the right way to go.

Dubble

I've always been of the opinion that Mario Sunshine isn't bad at all. In fact - it's a GREAT game.

HOWEVER.

It's not really a great MARIO game. I tend to put mario on MUCH higher pedestals than other videogame franchises and a lot of others do too. Same for Sonic and Megaman and Final Fantasy, Zelda etc etc. With the older, more established stuff, you tend to expect a hell of a lot more out of it than your average newcomer series. You know what to expect, know what makes it work, and when it falls flat on its ass the backlash can be enormous (see Sonic or Megaman-before-MM9 for perfect examples of this)

Sunshine was not terrible, but its faults were many and things didn't QUITE have that feel most Mario games do. IMO Galaxy recaptured it and then some. It's very "different".

In that "different" sense, I equate it to Super Mario Bros 2 (American Version) in those regards. In that sense, it's the same way I equate Galaxy to to Super Mario Bros 3 in terms of progress and progression. To each his own.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm really trying to figure out what the fuck people are talking about with voice acting?
Been a while since I've played but I don't remember any of the characters really talking. Delfino residents blabbed in jibberish, didn't they? Except for the travel-agent announcer guy. Peach sounds like she always does. Mario doesn't speak a word. What gives?

jett

D-Member
farnham said:
it has 120 shines on 11 locations

:lol Please, these are the proper levels in the game:

Bianca Hills
Ricco Harbor
Gelato Beach
Pinna Park
Noki Bay
Sirena Beach
Pianta Village

Take your shines and stuff them up where they don't.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Dogenzaka said:
I'm really trying to figure out what the fuck people are talking about with voice acting?
Been a while since I've played but I don't remember any of the characters really talking. Delfino residents blabbed in jibberish, didn't they? Except for the travel-agent announcer guy. Peach sounds like she always does. Mario doesn't speak a word. What gives?

FLUDD.

Dubble

Dogenzaka said:

FLUDD, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Princess Peach, the Pianta's - but only in the cutscenes. The only one who doesn't speak is Mario and when he does its his usually WAH! WAHOO! kind of thing which is acceptable in my opinion.

I don't hate the game, but I do remember it giving me a cheap feeling overall. The recycled bosses, the half-assed addition of Yoshi, the frustrating camera, and some poor level design really made the game fall short of Nintendo's usual quality. And the setting just didn't feel fitting for a Mario game. I do think the FLUDDless levels - or at least how I remember them to be - are better than the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy though.

Dogenzaka

Banned
BorkBork said:

FLUDD is supposed to sound robotic and emotionless..he's a machine. And that's what he sounds like.

Again, what?

Everyone sounds like they should.

I'm playing the game right now and everything sounds fine. I haven't heard Bowser and Baby Bowser in a while, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
jett said:
:lol Please, these are the proper levels in the game:

Bianca Hills
Ricco Harbor
Gelato Beach
Pinna Park
Noki Bay
Sirena Beach
Pianta Village

Take your shines and stuff them up where they don't.

You know I though I would remember the levels blending together, but when you give me that I can remember them all pretty distinctively (except for Gelato Beach).

I thought Galaxy was a much, much better game, but I have more trouble remembering the different Galaxies than I do with remembering the levels of Sunshine.

KevinCow

Banned
Dogenzaka said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOOqMIasUSs

How do you not remember this shit?

WillyFive

People hate the game because it has to compare with a game that invented modern 3D gaming and the Game of the Forever.

But forget that, and it's a masterpiece.

KevinCow

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Yeah, um, what are you talking about?
That's really not that bad.

Sounds like you hate it because it has talking, not because the talking is bad.

No, I hate it because it's terrible, even by video game standards.

Forkball

I really enjoyed this game. One thing no one really mentions is how vertical many of the levels are. Mario isn't necessarily moving to a location far away on the map, or jumping over gaps, but instead the platforming is heavily focused on climbing up the level. The FLUDD emphasizes this, and I thought it was an interesting take on the traditional Mario style. There was a lot of creativity in the game: new enemies, places never before seen in a Mario game, interesting puzzles and boss battles etc. While it's not the best Mario game, it's still damn good.

HOWEVER, I can understand why people hate it. Many levels had a nautical theme, and while they were pulled off in different ways, I'm sure a lot of people got tired of seeing water. It was also easy to abuse FLUDD, so timing jumps wasn't really an issue since if you messed up you could just give yourself a boost. That's why so many people loved the FLUDDless levels, because it forced you to go back to your Mario roots and it was harder than it should have been since gamers were now accustomed to having FLUDD help them. Also, the final boss battle was literally against Bowser taking a bath.

Totally loved Sunshine. One of the best platformer I've played. And I believe Galaxy 2 will be the new Sunshine in a year or 2 because it took an already successful mechanic and made it better instead of creating a completely new one.

Also thisisneogafdude.gif

jett said:

It's close.

People just nitpick Nintendo games.

Their "weaker" games are still usually better than other developers', especially when it comes to platformers.

That's what happens when you set the standard I guess.

Big One

Banned
It isn't bad, just the weakest of the mainline Mario games. I always say the weakest Zelda/Mario game is still amazing. It does, however, have the best HUB.

Lkr

It receives an 8 from me. I loved it to begin with, but after a while it got a bit stale for some reason. I should go back and finish it

aceface

I loved this game when I first played it, then I tried to go back to it after Galaxy...it's unplayable for me now. The jump controls are soooo loose compared to Galaxy. I'm just missing jump after jump. It sucks because I really loved sunshine when it first came out but the super-tight Galaxy controls completely spoiled me.

Dogenzaka

Banned
No, I hate it because it's terrible, even by video game standards.

That's pretty silly lol. Peach sounds like she should, Toadsworth sounds like he should, and the telecaster travel-guide or whatever sounds like any annoying advertisement would.

Punks

I bought Super Mario Sunshine at launch and I think it's great. One of the best Gamecube games. With that said, damn those blue coins. I was 2 blue coins away from a perfect game and never found them.

newelly87

Banned
The back of the ferris wheel was infuriating. So was getting yoshi across the mushrooms underneath that one level. Other than that it was ok.

andymcc

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
That's pretty silly lol. Peach sounds like she should, Toadsworth sounds like he should, and the telecaster travel-guide or whatever sounds like any annoying advertisement would.

it's irritating and you probably have a tolerance for it because you were like 10 when it came out.

Let me in

For me?
-Lack of environment diversity
-Blue coins
-Washed out textures
-Yoshi sucked

That said, I finished it but never got all the shines. Not a disaster, but not my favorite.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Sunshine was flawed:

- Unique but eventually repetitive setting.
- Least memorable soundtrack in Mario platforming history.
- The entire hotel level.
- Lame last boss.

And yet, somehow, it was still one of the best games last gen. That just goes to show you how fucking good Mario platformers are. Even the flawed ones are fantastic.

FLUDD was a great and fun idea. I can't be the only OCD nerd who felt the need to constantly clean up all the goop whenever I saw it even if it had no purpose. :lol

I give Nintendo props for trying new things in terms of the setting and adding a drastically different aspect to the way Mario controls. It didn't all work out perfectly but the game was still really damn good.

KevinCow

Banned
Dogenzaka said:

I don't see how you could consider even Peach and Toadsworth acceptable, but the courtroom is where it gets really bad. God, those Piantas...

Not to mention Bowser and Bowser Jr. in that video's second part.

Least favorite of the 3D Marios but still one of my favorite Gamecube games. I really loved the whole tropical island theme and Fludd mechanics. Like the OP, it definitely felt fresh to me. Thinking about playing it again before SMG2.

Dogenzaka

Banned
andymcc said:
it's irritating and you probably have a tolerance for it because you were like 10 when it came out.

I'm playing the game right now as I read this thread.
They sound like they always have.

I haven't heard Bowser or Baby Bowser, but Peach, Mario, Toadsworth, the Toads and Delfino residents all sound like they should, in my opinion. Like they always have.

The courtroom is the worst, but that is not even really that bad.

Zizbuka

Banned
What, gaffers hate an excellent game? Blasphemy. It was a great game, just the fact that the GC controller was a million times better than the N64 controller was a plus.

Sunshine gets all kinds of hate, and a generic FPS (lookin at you Halo) gets praise....... kids these days.

Speevy

Banned
Because it's repetitive and feels unfinished, chasing shadow Mario sucks, coin-collecting against the clock sucks, characters and voice acting are horrible, final boss fight is a joke, textures are weak, music is lackluster.

Haunted

I AM JOHN! said:
People who actively dislike this game are not to be trusted.

I concede the repetitive setting complaints, forgettable soundtrack (its biggest sin, imo) and the blue coin bullshit towards the end of the game. But the core gameplay and platforming was top notch, as was the actual platforming level design. Great variety and lots of personality, just what I'd expect from a mainline Mario game.

It also had the best looking water of last generation. :eek:

edit: fuck Pianta Village though.

It's odd to me people assume you have to be in a hate it or love it camp.

There are obvious weaknesses in this game named over and over in this thread. The unnecessary and atrocious voice acting for one.
I will never forget tolerating the voice acting throughout the entire game until I finally beat the last battle and was forced to hear Bowser impart wisdom to his son with the hokiest music and dialogue....I can still hear it in my head to this day and the dropping feeling I had in my chest ;-(
I also think Nintendo realized in retrospect what a bad decision it was to take the characters down this "comedic" route.

I also remember being very saddened by how Yoshi was used in the game, it was more stressful and hurry! hurry! to use him than fun and challenging.....and it was the first time Yoshi was nothing more than a short lived power-up within a level and not your adventuring sidekick. Perhaps I was expecting a more full fledged Yoshi than Mario World and instead got a rather limited Yoshi.

Blue coins.No way to tell where the ones you missed were = screw 'em.

Now I wasn't bothered by the cohesive island vision, to me that's just a matter of taste, not something that is "wrong", although I did want alot more variety in my levels.......the level with the flying puff balls and the tree swing was my favorite by far.

Of course the bonus water pack-less levels were very awesome and although I didn't think so at the time, the camera was a chore to use....and I like having control of my camera!

Finally, I'd have to say the biggest disappointment for me in Sunshine was the final volcano level....frustrating boat ride across lava, tiny tiny tiny "level" and then Bowser. Another huge letdown, I wanted an epic final level as Mario has had in most of his other prior adventures. The one in Sunshine was generic and forgettable except where it was frustrating and sad.

Now naturally, Sunshine improved on many things in the 3d Mario arena, it also included many caveats than are only fun if you overlook them and try really hard to ignore them.

One of the worst Mario games ever made, if not the worst, with many brilliant staples of the genre and other Mario games........ in my opinion. ;-)

Dogenzaka

Banned
I guess I'm weird because the FLUDD-less levels are what made me stop the game and not finish it for a very long time.

Some of them were ridiculously and hard thanks to the controls and the fact that you had to start the entire level mission over if you ran out of lives was stupid.

Alex

I loved the void levels, and I LOVED a lot of the level aesthetics. Especially the theme park and the coral one.

Shanoa

Banned
I use this game as a Beermat.

2lm9d6p.jpg

I can't believe no one else has mentioned that they removed the long jump. There are lots of reasons why I don't have particularly fond memories of Sunshine, most of which have been brought up already, but this one in particular stands out. Seeing it return in Galaxy was brilliant.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Dogenzaka said:
I guess I'm weird because the FLUDD-less levels are what made me stop the game and not finish it for a very long time.

Some of them were ridiculously and hard thanks to the controls and the fact that you had to start the entire level mission over if you ran out of lives was stupid.
Each of the FLUDDless levels had easy-to-get extra lives within them. As long as you kept getting them, you'd never get a game over.

Top Bottom