• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why there's no refund policy on PSN yet?

I'd prefer Sony's QA and certification improve instead. The amount of serious technical issues and generally buggy releases coming out on console lately is a joke. If you buy something you don't like, that's on you, in my opinion. If you buy something that's a technical mess, false advertising, etc. that's on Sony to refund.

I'd prefer we solved the problem rather than have refunds to act as a band-aid so publishers can just point to it instead of ensuring a polished product. Or creating more publisher stupidity like "we don't need a demo, give us $60 to try our game and if you don't like it, we'll give you your money back!" (looking at you Prey).

That being said, that's all just a pipe dream so a refund policy would be nice.

Kickz

I'd prefer Sony's QA and certification improve instead. The amount of serious technical issues and generally buggy releases coming out on console lately is a joke. If you buy something you don't like, that's on you, in my opinion. If you buy something that's a technical mess, false advertising, etc. that's on Sony to refund.

I'd prefer we solved the problem rather than have refunds to act as a band-aid so publishers can just point to it instead of ensuring a polished product. Or creating more publisher stupidity like "we don't need a demo, give us $60 to try our game and if you don't like it, we'll give you your money back!" (looking at you Prey).

Again, broken games are not on the consumer.. The fault lies with the game maker so a refund is used to guard against that and make sure the consumer is not cheated.

But there was a prey demo...

Bethesda will release a demo of Prey that lets you play the first hour of the game.

The demo comes out on Thursday 27th April on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (there's no mention of PC) - a week before the game launches proper on 5th May.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There is no point in having a 10 day refund on PSN as by the time you actually downloaded the game you'll already be outside of the eligibility period

giphy.gif

But the thing is, Sony won't give you a refund for every broken or unstable game. Their refund "policy" is a one time goodwill gesture and then you have to pray you get a considerate person when you call support.

You haven't explained why my post isn't the case BTW. You just said stop giving them money, which you could apply to any other product refunds.

Not true, people have gotten refunds for more than one product. CIP, the No mans Sky debacle among them. And I wasn't talking about a product. When I state stop giving them money I meant the service. If you do not like how the service operates, stop buying digitally. leave feedback via https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

Technically some are already there but seemingly this issue is not of a concern as much as changing PSN ID.

This is why I don't understand why pop-gamer culture embraces going all digital so universally. That "who regrets going all digital" thread from a couple weeks ago was almost entirely filled with everyone saying all digital is perfect and anytime someone said they like physical, the mob would chastise them.

Physical will always make more sense from a value standpoint, period. No discussion required.

The reason why PSN doesn't offer refunds is so many people but digital despite the fact it makes zero fiscal sense, Sony has no reason to change. Sony is rolling in dough from digital sales

Digital versions should cost at least 25 percent less than physical releases

Microsoft does digital refunds. And I think Microsoft has a higher rate of digital purchases.

As for value, digital versions come with 2 licenses by default, meaning you can take share with every game you purchase.

Not true, people have gotten refunds for more than one product. CIP, the No mans Sky debacle among them. And I wasn't talking about a product. When I state stop giving them money I meant the service. If you do not like how the service operates, stop buying digitally. leave feedback via https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

Technically some are already there but seemingly this issue is not of a concern as much as changing PSN ID.
Again, it's a case by case basis. I've seen plenty of cases where people couldn't get another refund, even for broken products. Hell, some people were banned from support chat because of it.

And your new argument is still another tired argument against all refunds.

"If you don't like it, shop somewhere else."

Dueck

Banned
Because Sony hasn't been forced to yet basically.
This... I mean, this whole generation they've basically been riding on the coat tails of how terrible Don Mattrick's announcement was. MS had to do the right thing in an effort to make up lost market share.

Atomski

Cert has almost nothing to do with bugs. It's mostly to protect the system security to make sure a game does not lead to a console exploits.

Bug testing is more on the developers side.

Also why does it always have to be about bugs. What if you just don't like the game. What if it's not what you believe was advertised..

Herodotus

Holy.
Fuck.

Sony PR must be laughing their asses off reading this thread, when you actually defend a company for not adding something as basic as a REFUND, you know this is getting stupid.

I got one refund during No Man's Sky debacle.

Then I was banned from chat support. Which is hilarious.

Not only do they not have refunds, but preorders are final too, even if you change your mind months in advance too. What an ass backwards system. But as long as news articles and gamers as a whole keep ignoring it, why should they change? They have us by the balls and I'm sure some will support them.

Sony aren't our friends, people need to stop 'sticking up' for their obvious failings.

Sensible refund policies, like Steam has for PC games or Google has for phone apps are things everyone should be demanding everywhere. Sony, Apple, Nintendo, etc. should be contantly hounded about this.

SamNW

Sony aren't our friends, people need to stop 'sticking up' for their obvious failings.

Sensible refund policies, like Steam has for PC games or Google has for phone apps are things everyone should be demanding everywhere. Sony, Apple, Nintendo, etc. should be contantly hounded about this.
I can't believe how hard it is for people to wrap their fucking heads around this. Corporations are not your friends. They sure as fuck don't need you to defend them. Learn to separate the artists from the profiteers. Demand accountability and basic pro-consumer policies.

Atomski

Holy.
Fuck.

Sony PR must be laughing their asses off reading this thread, when you actually defend a company for not adding something as basic as a REFUND, you know this is getting stupid.
Remember how annoying and weird Nintendo fans use to be.

Welcome your new fanboy overlords.... Almighty Sony can do no wrong. All Praise Kaz!

Again, it's a case by case basis. I've seen plenty of cases where people couldn't get another refund, even for broken products. Hell, some people were banned from support chat because of it.

And your new argument is still another tired argument against all refunds.

"If you don't like it, shop somewhere else."

That wasn't my only suggestion. Not only shop somewhere else but provide feedback to company. It is simple, complaining about it while contributing to the system lessens the impact of your complaints. As much as you call the argument tired, it is basic common sense and if you can provide a reason why it is smart to pay into a system you don't like while complaining about it, I would love to hear it.

EDIT: Also I would like to point out that my talk isn't against refunds but is talking about consumer behavior to show company that they are displeased with a service or product.

Apple has refunds. Just not directly on the store. I've refunded 4 games in the last few months because I wasn't happy with the quality. No questiosn asked got refund.

Even got one for super Mario run because it was boring af

Kickz

Holy.
Fuck.

Even got an actual Sony support employee talking nonsense in here

Dueck

Banned

I agree. Some people treat console makers as a surrogate family, despite how stupid that mentality obviously is. Defending their policies blindly, in spite of being bad for consumers, is extremely frustrating.

Malcolm9

I got one refund during No Man's Sky debacle.

Then I was banned from chat support. Which is hilarious.

Not only do they not have refunds, but preorders are final too, even if you change your mind months in advance too. What an ass backwards system. But as long as news articles and gamers as a whole keep ignoring it, why should they change? They have us by the balls and I'm sure some will support them.

You can cancel preorders you know, i'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

Sonys customer service in general is shit and more people need to call out their shit.

Personally i find their region locking of accounts which in turn creates issues with dlc having to match the region your game disc is or vice versa rather annoying....xbox you can just switch your region on your console and your free to buy from another region then switch back but on ps4 the game and dlc for that account must match the region the ps4 account is....you basically end up with 4 or 5 accounts if you like to border hop for digital purchases and the console will install different versions depending on your region...its technically not a regiin free console.

I had a digital US copy of the crew on my ps4 and the ultimate edition physical copy was on sale here (aus) so i picked it up for the extra content....the ps4 installed a second copy on my ps4 and the dlc codes didn't work on my us account....so i had to purchase the dlc through the us account as well.

I tried it on my xbox and didnt have an issue...so its clearly a sony problem.

Also their chat support it geoblocked from anyone outside of a region..if you travel or work abroad and dont know how to use a vpn u r fucked.

There is also no email contact for the us support

And the best one
If you do manage to get onto the chat support they actually ban your email/ip and psn id from using the chat again if your issue is not resolved

Very shitty customer service

PtM

Banned
Sony wont be sued in Europe or Australia for violating their consumer laws requiring refunds.
It may have been mentioned, but it in Europe at least they're safe if they have the customer basically revoke their right to revoke. It's what Steam and Nintendo are doing.

And there's the answer: Because everyone isn't doing it.

It may have been mentioned, but it in Europe at least they're safe if they have the customer basically revoke their right to revoke. It's what Steam and Nintendo are doing.

And there's the answer: Because everyone isn't doing it.

In Aus the law overwrites any condition or sanction that a company puts on a consumer that waives their rights to remedy the situation

Hope thats what u mean?

Waivers dont mean shit.....and accc work very slow....slower than a psn download.

NinjaBoiX

With Microsoft and Valve there's a refund policy, a thing I believe it's mandatory nowdays with unpolished games and titles which see further discounts ever and ever (like, I buy this today on Steam, tomorrow the same game is bundled in a 1$ bundle, I can ask for a refund if I meet the right terms).
Sony otherwise doesn't offer any refund, if not the "only-one-in-your-life-as-good-will", which is a bad thing considering how many times their discounted games end in the Plus a couple of days or even during a sale.
So one of your major arguments is "sometimes I buy it cheap, then it just so happens that they then give it to me for free, so I deserve a refund"? Do I have that right?

I've never heard a more entitled argument in my life.

There are plenty of ways to find out if a game is going to be for you or not, if you make a bad purchase then it sucks to be you.

PtM

Banned
In Aus the law overwrites any condition or sanction that a company puts on a consumer that waives their rights to remedy the situation

Hope thats what u mean?

Waivers dont mean shit.....and accc work very slow....slower than a psn download.
It's what I mean, but in EU there is no such protection, the contrary applies.

Card Boy

Banned
There is no point in having a 10 day refund on PSN as by the time you actually downloaded the game you'll already be outside of the eligibility period

This post needs more attention because the PSN is bad and Sony is bad for allowing it to be bad.

On GOG/Steam/Xbox One i can download a 50 gig game in maybe 5-6 hours tops. On PS4 it took me many hours over a solid week to download Deus Ex MD.

But they don't have a formal refund policy just one that gives one free refund and the rest are at discretion of support. If anything...... STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

This is not true, as per my previous posts. Spent over £1000 with them - they would not refund me once for goodwill. So I've cut them off.

KurtFehl

This post needs more attention because the PSN is bad and Sony is bad for allowing it to be bad.

On GOG/Steam/Xbox One i can download a 50 gig game in maybe 5-6 hours tops. On PS4 it took me many hours over a solid week to download Deus Ex MD.

This has been my experience as well. WTH is wrong with PSN that downloads are slow?

I've gotten refunds on at least 2 occasions that I can remember. One was for Hitman which I had forgotten I'd pre-ordered. Asked for a refund a few days after it released when I realised, got a refund no questions asked.

The second time was when I tried to buy PS+ through both the webstore and the PS4 store. Each time it told me there was an error and to try again later, which I did. A day later I noticed that each time I had tried to purchase, despite the store telling me it hadn't gone through, I'd actually been charged each time. Phoned them up and had to argue like hell to get a refund. Dick on the phone refused to refund it to my card, saying it wasn't their policy. I don't care what your policy is, I'm down money because of a technical fault with your store, it's literally illegal for you to refuse me a refund. I did get the refund eventually but god damn it took way more effort than it should have.

haveheart

Banned
This is why I don't buy games via PSN anymore (and the aweful download speeds).

On weekends, I often find myself wanting to play a new game. PSN simply isn't a option for me anymore. I would take me ~20 hours to download the game and if I don't like it, there's nothing I can do about it.

In this scenario, I'm buying Steam games instead. Takes about 2 or 3 hours to download games of the same size and I can refund it if I don't like what I see in the first two hours. That's only fair imho. If every game would have a demo limited to let's say 30 mins, it would change everything. They should either do this ot simply add a refunds.

I would also prefer a different PS+ system (buying hours instead of periods) but that's another story...

I've gotten refunds on at least 2 occasions that I can remember. One was for Hitman which I had forgotten I'd pre-ordered. Asked for a refund a few days after it released when I realised, got a refund no questions asked.

The second time was when I tried to buy PS+ through both the webstore and the PS4 store. Each time it told me there was an error and to try again later, which I did. A day later I noticed that each time I had tried to purchase, despite the store telling me it hadn't gone through, I'd actually been charged each time. Phoned them up and had to argue like hell to get a refund. Dick on the phone refused to refund it to my card, saying it wasn't their policy. I don't care what your policy is, I'm down money because of a technical fault with your store, it's literally illegal for you to refuse me a refund. I did get the refund eventually but god damn it took way more effort than it should have.

What fucking company in the world would try and hold on to money taken twice for 1 product? Crazy.

Tumle

So one of your major arguments is "sometimes I buy it cheap, then it just so happens that they then give it to me for free, so I deserve a refund"? Do I have that right?

I've never heard a more entitled argument in my life.

There are plenty of ways to find out if a game is going to be for you or not, if you make a bad purchase then it sucks to be you.
People are only going to read half of what you wrote and then you are going to be called a fanboy, corporate shill and what ever people can come up with, just for pointing out the obvious..
The only thing they got out of what you wrote is that you are totally against refunds, you think nothing is worthy of a refund and that you would not want Sony to implement a steam like system.. it's like arguing with children..

People are only going to read half of what you wrote and then you are going to be called a fanboy, corporate shill and what ever people can come up with, just for pointing out the obvious..
The only thing they got out of what you wrote is that you are totally against refunds, you think nothing is worthy of a refund and that you would not want Sony to implement a steam like system.. it's like arguing with children..

No, he was just explaining a feature of the Steam system, which undoubtedly Sony would not do.

Even a basic system would be nice.

Tumle

No, he was just explaining a feature of the Steam system, which undoubtedly Sony would not do.

Even a basic system would be nice.
Im all for a basic system of getting refunds for broken software.. I just don't see the intitlement to get a refund on a perfectly functioning product unless like the poster above who got billed 5 times.
Would it be a nice feature? sure. But I don't see it as consumer right to have the option to opt out, because you don't want the product anyways(preorders not included).. is all I'm saying..
Sony is shit if they don't give you your money back after buying a broken product or falsely advertised product.. but there are laws in place for that, at least here in Europe..

Kickz

Im all for a basic system of getting refunds for broken software.. I just don't see the intitlement to get a refund on a perfectly functioning product unless like the poster above who got billed 5 times.
Would it be a nice feature? sure. But I don't see it as consumer right to have the option to opt out, because you don't want the product anyways(preorders not included).. is all I'm saying..
Sony is shit if they don't give you your money back after buying a broken product or falsely advertised product.. but there are laws in place for that, at least here in Europe..

Its been pointed out even that basic refund is not available outside of Europe, so the reason to pressure Sony to institute this like Xbox has still stands.

lupinko

I just bought MGSV TDE which is on sale currently on PSN, but I had bought GZ last year when it was on sale for $5.

I was wondering if it was possible or worth the effort of asking for a refund for GZ? I never played it but I did download it. I guess the latter disqualifies me for a refund?

I only went for TDE over TPP vanilla because TDE was a better deal.

Again GZ was only $5 for me originally.

Kyoufu

I just bought MGSV TDE which is on sale currently on PSN, but I had bought GZ last year when it was on sale for $5.

I was wondering if it was possible or worth the effort of asking for a refund for GZ? I never played it but I did download it. I guess the latter disqualifies me for a refund?

I only went for TDE over TPP vanilla because TDE was a better deal.

Again GZ was only $5 for me originally.

No. You'll use up your "one-time refund" (lol) on a $5 game you bought last year. Not worth the time and effort.

lupinko

No. You'll use up your "one-time refund" (lol) on a $5 game you bought last year. Not worth the time and effort.

Oh okay. I asked them on Twitter out of curiosity.

Edit: I won't bother, even with the prior purchase of GZ, I spent less than $30 on MGSV in total. *shrug*

Holy.
Fuck.

Go buy a physical game and ask for a refund after playing it. The store clerk will also laugh in your face.

Top Bottom