• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why there's no refund policy on PSN yet?

Armaros

Great reading skills.. I said port begging of a feature of giving refunds for purchase mistakes..
Refunding broken or falsely advertised games I'm all for! I'm agreeing to that..
But please tell me what consumer rights rules Sony has broken for not having this option?

Because in many places that's not enough for refunds?

Tumle

Because in many places that's not enough for refunds?
Ok then please give me an example of where you after having authorised the transaction not once but twice and funded your wallet to purchase a game, to find out you don't like the game anyways, so therefor you are eleigbel for a refund?
I could see some rare cases that would apply..
And I'm not trying to say that it wouldn't be nice with a feature like this.. but that I can't see why Sony should implement it.. :)

I'd be for that :)
What I don't think Sony is legally bound to do, is cover peoples stupid asses because they can't live with a mistake that they made..
Don't want to sound hostile, but the way people are responding to replies, and Calling people corporate shill, just because I and some others think that it isn't sonys responsibility to cover people asses from there buying decisions, and pointing that out.. is really below the belt, and not really worth an argument..
Should Sony refund broken or falsely advertised products? Absolutely!
All other than that, this thread is just a port begging thread for features that other platforms have.. would it be nice if they implemented it?again absolutely!
Is there a reason for them to do so, other than to appease people, who apparently don't know what to use there money on? No not really..

Are you that blinded by your love for a company that you are advocating against your own interests?

Guardians

Banned
Nope, Nintendo is just as bad.

I don't care about Sony because I don't buy their consoles, but I really hope that Nintendo will have a refund policy for the Nintendo eShop as soon as possible! Do it Nintendo, your customers will be thankful for that service :)

Van Bur3n

I work PS Support UK.

Refunds only happen to wallet. No permissions to refund to the card are ever given unless its faulty content, which you need to contact the dev first to receive confirmation they can't troubleshoot or they won't patch it, then send us that confirmation for us to process it.

A refund process like Xbox Live or Steam won't come to PS, at least not for a while, because SCE don't want to appear like they're copying competitors, because that'd open a whole can of worms in terms of people begging for other features that other services have.

Also PSN ID's are the database entry linked to your purchases. You can't change it because you'd lose all your shit. Maybe one day it'll change, maybe never. It'd be one hell of a process to switch it all over.

You sure as shit were made for this PS Support role, because you have quite the talent in spewing bullshit. Sony knows how to choose them.

What I don't think Sony is legally bound to do, is cover peoples stupid asses because they can't live with a mistake that they made..
Don't want to sound hostile, but the way people are responding to replies, and Calling people corporate shill, just because I and some others think that it isn't sonys responsibility to cover people asses from there buying decisions, and pointing that out.. is really below the belt, and not really worth an argument..
All other than that, this thread is just a port begging thread for features that other platforms have.. would it be nice if they implemented it?again absolutely!
Is there a reason for them to do so, other than to appease people, who apparently don't know what to use there money on? No not really..

Jesus Christ. There is absolutely no rational reason to defend the lack of a consumer friendly policy unless you have an utterly irrational mindset. Good sir, you're displaying the latter.

A refund process like Xbox Live or Steam won't come to PS, at least not for a while, because SCE don't want to appear like they're copying competitors, because that'd open a whole can of worms in terms of people begging for other features that other services have.
The 'horror'.

I get why people would like Sony to adopt a refund policy. But the reason you state for one is actually a good reason. For them NOT to start one. What you are looking for is price protection for a product that gets a price reduction within a short period after purchase. That's not the same as a refund policy.

Holy shit, I don't even know where to start with this.. I...
I preordered a game MONTHS before it came out and decided I no longer wanted it on that platform. Why I'm the world should I not be entitled to a full refund to my original payment method???

I'm not sure if those arguing against PSN refunds in this thread realize they're arguing against ALL refunds.

"You should do more research before buying."
"What benefit do refunds give the cooperation?"
"It's not against the law so it's fine."

VanWinkle

Woah, I had no idea MS allowed refunds. I wish I had known for a few of the games I've bought over the years and hated.

When did they start this policy?

Also, I definitely agree Sony needs to do it, too.

Nzyme32

Sony don't like copying competitors features?

IVgwZ.jpg

Come on - that's a ridiculous reason to withhold refunds.

Not really the best comparison for this particular kind of thing. Simple fact is this is a closed marketplace, so there is no competitor to force them to do it soon. External competition from other platforms exists but since Xbox is the only console competitor to move in that direction and Sony are doing so well, it's hardly something they feel would be urgent. I wouldn't be surprised for an E3 announcement though just to keep on par

Head.spawn

There is no point in having a 10 day refund on PSN as by the time you actually downloaded the game you'll already be outside of the eligibility period

I went to download some demo a few weeks back; started the download, then after 30 minutes I'm sitting there baffled it's not done.. it's downloading at like 2G speeds. Mind you, I have a 200mbps+ connection. Turned it off, haven't touched my PS4 Pro since.

Might as well be true.

Marcel

I'd be shocked if they don't add refunds to their western PSN ecosystem considering it looks pretty dumb for them not to have it. But then again their download speeds and network architecture are still terrible despite the "improvements" PS+ is "funding".

dat astroturfing :p

Features that are pro consumer is not port begging.

Because PSN is made out of Popsicle sticks and they want you to spend money, not get it back.

See above.

This is probably the correct answer. PSN is held together with dried gum and a prayer; it's why they have to go in themselves to do things like change your username or refund you.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
How does Sony benefit from such a system? Be sure to list quantifiable benefits.
EU consumer law? Oh wait, how would Sony benefit? I don't know? How about the goodwill created by being a decent corporate citizen instead of hiding behind awful business practices and worse corporate ballwashers who handwave such shit.

Also why does following the norms of retail (If you don't like a product online, you're given a cooling off period where you're allowed to return for a refund here in the UK as well as the EU as a whole) a bad thing.

I'm shocked they haven't been forced to do so yet at least here. One day I imagine they will be but the EU moves at a glacial pace when it comes to consumer rights at times.

This is probably the correct answer. PSN is held together with dried gum and a prayer; it's why they have to go in themselves to do things like change your username or refund you.

We've seen them refund pre-orders multiple times. But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't refund people individually after a purchase.

There's also the small problem of......them not wanting to give you refunds.

Are you that blinded by your love for a company that you are advocating against your own interests?

You sure as shit were made for this PS Support role, because you have quite the talent in spewing bullshit. Sony knows how to choose them.

Jesus Christ. There is absolutely no rational reason to defend the lack of a consumer friendly policy unless you have an utterly irrational mindset. Good sir, you're displaying the latter.

Wow. The idea that people should follow caveat emptor and actually pay attention to what they are doing is a horrific concept huh? God forbid you show some sort of responsibility.

This is isn't against my interest because on ANY service, steam, GOG, Playstaiton, xbox or nintendo, I don't commit to purchasing a game unless I am sure I will like it. If I am unsure, I wait, watch video reviews, consult other people, or if really curious fire up my gamefly account.

I think this lines up right there with people who give their credit card information to children or who young adults who get phished for SSN. Just a bit of common sense and responsibility goes along way/ Fight the urge to pre order stuff or own them first day. Check the product before you commit. It is a simple idea. If you can't handle it. Go back to physical sales.

It isn't that the feature wouldn't be nice to have for any digital store, it just waves a flag that indicate purchasing habits of people.

I'm not sure if those arguing against PSN refunds in this thread realize they're arguing against ALL refunds.

"You should do more research before buying."
"What benefit do refunds give the cooperation?"
"It's not against the law so it's fine."

That isn't the case. If something is not working or causes damage, they should offer a refund. Sony does offer refunds, we have threads on gaf confirming this. But they don't have a formal refund policy just one that gives one free refund and the rest are at discretion of support. If anything...... STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

I don't know how people advocate consumer responsibility by NOT blindly giving a company your money is seen as supporting that company blindly. This is getting silly.

jono51

Banned
I hate it when companies offer refunds to consumers. They are abused by seedy individuals who are pretty much just one step away from being pirates (heh - no surprise to see PC platforms being the first to implement refunds).

SONY's high quality certification of every title releasing on their platform means their are never legitimate technical grievances to raise about a game, outside of subjective/personal taste type reasons (e.g. framerate, load times, etc.). The games will always work, you personally may just not like it (your mistake). Therefore, there is no need for there to be refunds.

Thank you SONY for not providing refunds.

I hate it when companies offer refunds to consumers. They are abused by seedy individuals who are pretty much just one step away from being pirates (heh - no surprise to see PC platforms being the first to implement refunds).

SONY's high quality certification of every title releasing on their platform means their are never legitimate technical grievances to raise about a game, outside of subjective/personal taste type reasons (e.g. framerate, load times, etc.). The games will always work, you personally may just not like it (your mistake). Therefore, there is no need for there to be refunds.

o5yIXk4.gif

13ruce

Banned

You can apply for Nintendo PR when Reggie is retired!

Sony wants you to enjoy the games you have and not get out easy the first time you find something questionable in it, like terrible bugs, bad performance, or generally something different from what you expected. It expands your horizons and fills Sonys wallets.
#4theShareholders
Read reviews?

NeonBlack

clap.gif

That isn't the case. If something is not working or causes damage, they should offer a refund. Sony does offer refunds, we have threads on gaf confirming this. But they don't have a formal refund policy just one that gives one free refund and the rest are at discretion of support. If anything...... STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

I don't know how people advocate consumer responsibility by NOT blindly giving a company your money is seen as supporting that company blindly. This is getting silly.
But the thing is, Sony won't give you a refund for every broken or unstable game. Their refund "policy" is a one time goodwill gesture and then you have to pray you get a considerate person when you call support.

You haven't explained why my post isn't the case BTW. You just said stop giving them money, which you could apply to any other product refunds.

Kickz

whiguyblink.gif

Tumle

Holy shit, I don't even know where to start with this.. I...
I preordered a game MONTHS before it came out and decided I no longer wanted it on that platform. Why I'm the world should I not be entitled to a full refund to my original payment method???
Hey I never talked about preorders, I was talking of full purchases..
Preorders should be able to be cancelled.. but that's not what this thread was about.. this thread was about getting a refund because you don't like a game..
Call me a fanboy, irrational and not looking out for consumer interests all you want.. I never said I didn't like the idea of being able to refund a game because sundenly I don't want it anyway.. but I just don't understand the problem that it's not possible.. maybe it's just the way I choose to do my purchases.. and I don't think it's a company's or any stores responsibility to refund a product unless it's faulty or doesn't do what it's advertised to do.. that has nothing to do with being loyal to a company, but all to do with having rational expectations that if I buy something and it works as it's supposed to, then I can't come later and say I dont want it after using that item..
I do think that you should be able to resell your digital purchases though..

beastlove

I would imagine that having a refund policy like actually boost digital sales. If you look at e-commerce, returns, reviews and refunds are critical in the sales process. IMO, Sony got very very lucky with the PS4. Microsoft​ won the console war for Sony.

Sarcasm

Just need Australia to recognize that Sony is big and important enough to take them to court over this like they started to for steam.

Hey I never talked about preorders, I was talking of full purchases..
Preorders should be able to be cancelled.. but that's not what this thread was about.. this thread was about getting a refund because you don't like a game..
Call me a fanboy, irrational and not looking out for consumer interests all you want.. I never said I didn't like the idea of being able to refund a game because sundenly I don't want it anyway.. but I just don't understand the problem that it's not possible.. maybe it's just the way I choose to do my purchases.. and I don't think it's a company's or any stores responsibility to refund a product unless it's faulty or doesn't do what it's advertised to do.. that has nothing to do with being loyal to a company, but all to do with having rational expectations that if I buy something and it works as it's supposed to, then I can't come later and say I dont want it after using that item..
I do think that you should be able to resell your digital purchases though..

Well for one, a digital preorder IS a full purchase. And this thread is not about getting refunds "because you don't like the game". It's about getting refunds. Which other retailers in the industry already offer and there is 0 reason for Sony and Nintendo to not offer the same other than just because they don't have to.

Tumle

Well for one, a digital preorder IS a full purchase. And this thread is not about getting refunds "because you don't like the game". It's about getting refunds. Which other retailers in the industry already offer and there is 0 reason for Sony and Nintendo to not offer the same other than just because they don't have to.
Yes it's a full purchase of a game you haven't gotten yet.. so it's actually just a down payment for a future purchase...
Ok if it's not about the two hour refund that steam has(witch I can understand because you have no idea, other than the system specs in the shop menu, if it will even run on your Pc) I don't know what this thread is about then, and I'll take what I said back..
But I didn't know Sony wouldn't refund faulty or falsely advertised software.. if that's the case then Sony will have a big lawsuit coming up soon :)

Head.spawn

#TEAMREAL

leeh

9/10.

Nearly got me.

Just need Australia to recognize that Sony is big and important enough to take them to court over this like they started to for steam.

I'm not Australian but taking a quick look at the laws for it....how would that help? Valve was sued for having no refund policy between 2011 - 2014, but all I've read so far says refunds are required for broken products only. Obviously even that would be better than what Sony has, but the thread mentions unpolished games or ones where you just change your mind, which wouldn't be covered (unless i'm just reading the wrong things).

Jacqli

I work PS Support UK.

Refunds only happen to wallet. No permissions to refund to the card are ever given unless its faulty content, which you need to contact the dev first to receive confirmation they can't troubleshoot or they won't patch it, then send us that confirmation for us to process it.

Also PSN ID's are the database entry linked to your purchases. You can't change it because you'd lose all your shit. Maybe one day it'll change, maybe never. It'd be one hell of a process to switch it all over.
And that is why I will always consider your store the worst among the three. Between the hack attacks, stolen accounts and no refund policy, my credit card or paypal information will never be used on PSN store. Maybe you should worry more about the customer and less about "copying", which is not a problem depending on the issue though.

And as to the first paragraph I feel like I am doing your job instead. Should I also collect data of those bugs/glitches so you can verify it without much hassle?

Sarcasm

I'm not Australian but taking a quick look at the laws for it....how would that help? Valve was sued for having no refund policy between 2011 - 2014, but all I've read so far says refunds are required for broken products only. Obviously even that would be better than what Sony has, but the thread mentions unpolished games or ones where you just change your mind, which wouldn't be covered (unless i'm just reading the wrong things).

Because it made them put out refunds before the verdict which includes more than broken products.

Have you even used the refund system on steam? Two hours or 14 days. Runs awesome but hate the game? Refund!

We've seen them refund pre-orders multiple times. But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't refund people individually after a purchase.

There's also the small problem of......them not wanting to give you refunds.

Right but they themselves have to go in and do it. They can also change your PSN username but they can't make it consumer side. PSN is jank af.

CazTGG

A basic consumer right constitutes "copying competitors"?

True, even though I'm pro-refunds.

Because it made them put out refunds before the verdict which includes more than broken products.

Have you even used the refund system on steam? Two hours or 14 days. Runs awesome but hate the game? Refund!

As far as i know that "Up to 2 hours or 14 days later for ANY reason" was something that Valve decided to do themselves, not something they had to do by law. EU law at least says refunds are for for broken products only, and i've not been able to find anything that says otherwise for Australian law either. I don't see anything to suggest it would help with getting refunds for the reasons mentioned in this thread, that being just not wanting it or it being unpolished.

Sarcasm

As far as i know that "Up to 2 hours or 14 days later for ANY reason" was something that Valve decided to do themselves, not something they had to do by law. I don't see anything to suggest it would help with getting refunds for the reasons mentioned in this thread, that being just not wanting it or it being unpolished.

Oh I didn't say they created it because of said case. Even mentioned they even put the system in place before the verdict.

Luminaire

Wow, landmines everywhere in this thread.

A reason why it's not on PSN yet isn't too complicated to discern when you look at the market. As of last year, the only people offering refunds was STEAM, which isn't exactly a direct competitor to Sony in the console-space. Microsoft adopted this policy in an effort to compete more, give another checkbox as to why you should buy their console and join their ecosystem. Microsoft has more experience in network infrastructure, account systems, and digital store fronts than Sony does, so they're able to adopt this policy and turn into a benefit of the system much faster than Sony. Which MS getting outsold usually, they're bound to start offering up things their competitors do not. This is why competition is good for everyone.

As for timing, MS may have been looking at this for a while, and they are able to put it into place much faster. Sony on the other hand has an archaic account system, their network infrastructure leaves much to be desired, and they've been the console leader for years now - there hasn't been too much of a reason for them to need to offer up more reasons to buy their console and join their ecosystem other than it being the dominant system. They've probably just started looking at this. Due to this, I wouldn't expect it any time soon, but I would probably expect it within the generation. I don't think it's a case of "MS is desperate", "Sony is anti-consumer", "Sony is lazy", etc. It's a lot of factors that can easily be mixed together to create some sort of fanboy-driven narrative that some of these adults in this thread should be embarrassed about. It's also not just a switch that can be flipped.

Top Bottom