• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

bee

i love how people who have zero clue about emulation insist on posting in emulation threads with the same old "its just upscaled" shit

learn about internal resolution and how emulators can change it

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Wii really have some awesome graphics, when done right. All it needs is a bit more of RAM (so it can store HD frames in the framebuffer).

I never understood why Nintendo didn't made the Wii output 720p games out of the box. The textures and 3d models are up to the task, as these screenshots prove.

Why would you do that? said:
To the first point, yes, you're right, I guess. I downscaled it and upscaled it in Photoshop and it pretty much looked the same. :( I thought it looked nice, though.
Sadly, there's very little you can do when upscaling 2D Content. That's why every HUD in these pictures look like ass. I've seen some texture sampling options in Dolphin's configuration screens. Maybe there's something to improve a little further?

To your second point... I guess I'll have to look around for the appropriate homebrew, so thanks.
I would like to be able to point you to the proper direction, but I really have no idea where to start. There's a couple .dol applications that will do what you want tho. I know since I've been looking around how to backup my PSO Savegame (on my gamecube) and all i came up with were ways to copy the save from either the Gamecube Memorycard or from Wii internal memory to the Wii SD slot. But since I don't have a Wii, i didn't really pay attention to that. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe there's something in the Wii Homebrew Thread.

bee said:
i love how people who have zero clue about emulation insist on posting in emulation threads with the same old "its just upscaled" shit. learn about internal resolution and how emulators can change it
Every 2D graphic (including textures) are, literally, just upscaled. Sometimes you apply filters to them, sometimes not, but Every 2D texture is just upsacled.

Only the 3D models are actually rendered at a higher resolution - that's why you can get sharper looking models.

The textures, on the other hand, if they're not good looking originally, there's nothing much you can do, other than scaling them.

HUELEN10 said:
I stand by my words, this is possibly the best looking game on Wii. Any shots of Titanic Plain or Sir Percival's level? Both are beautiful.
I don't know how to transfer my saves to the Wii. Otherwise, I'd take pictures of more than just the first couple areas.

bee said:
i love how people who have zero clue about emulation insist on posting in emulation threads with the same old "its just upscaled" shit

learn about internal resolution and how emulators can change it
Well, in the case of the Wario game, it technically looks upscaled for the most part, since the entire game's 2D graphics were done with 640x480 in mind, but when it comes down to 3D, or higher res 2D graphics, it would look much better.

I don't know how to transfer my saves to the Wii. Otherwise, I'd take pictures of more than just the first couple areas.
You could probably use a save downloaded from GameFAQs, I would think.

edit - Or not, since there aren't any on GameFAQs and I was beaten anyway.

I was able to import save files to the Wii emulator.

My problem was that, when you put a save file to your SD card, it is always data.bin. Same for downloading saves off the Internet. However, the emulator stores everything just like in the Wii's NAND, with multiple small files scattered everywhere, so a data.bin wouldn't work in this instance.

What I had to do was unpack the data.bin with a wii save file unpacker (google it, first result) and copy the unpacked files to a specific place.

That specific place is in the Dolphin\User\Wii (where the wii's nand is held) \title\***\*** folder. Since it would be almost impossible to find the right folder if you have a bunch of stuff in the "title" folder, then you could delete or move the entire contents of the title folder, and when you create a new save file with your game of choice, only that one game's folder will be in the "title" folder.

...so, for example, Sonic and the Black Knight was located in User\Wii\title\00010000\52454e45.

3586q9i.png

66gaiw.jpg

2h3r4lw.png

Despite the fact that the resolution is 1280x960, some polygons still don't look sharp, as if it was an upscaled image. I think it has to do with screen filters... but not everything looks that way, such as some enemies and bosses.

Edit: One more:
vsdfra.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was able to import save files to the Wii.
Don't you mean import files FROM the Wii?
Or Export save files FROM the Wii into the emulator?

Importing save files to the Wii makes it sound like you're getting a Save from the emulator and... well.. importing it to the Wii.. :D

Despite the fact that the resolution is 1280x960, some polygons still don't look sharp, as if it was an upscaled image. I think it has to do with screen filters... but not everything looks that way, such as some enemies and bosses.
IF i remember correctly, there was a problem with earlier versions of Dolphin that only applied the internal resolution changes to 1/4 of the screen (or was that a game-by-game specific problem?).
Are you sure you're using the latest SVN build? (As opposed to the latest stable build)?

They're usually up for download @ http://www.molykeia.com/daco/

KAL2006 said:
Come back when its emulated full speed with sound. Then I will care
Tatsunoko vs Capcom runs at pretty much stable 60 fps on an old 2.8ghz QX6700 running at 3.2ghz. With newer CPUs, some games are pretty much fullspeed.

KAL2006 said:
Fuck Wii emulation

Come back when its emulated full speed with sound. Then I will care
Umm...

yeah, many Wii games run full speed, if you have a good enough video card and CPU. I think some can even get full speed in Mario Galaxy.

drizzle said:
Don't you mean import files FROM the Wii?
Fixed my post. :p

drizzle said:
IF i remember correctly, there was a problem with earlier versions of Dolphin that only applied the internal resolution changes to 1/4 of the screen (or was that a game-by-game specific problem?).
Are you sure you're using the latest SVN build? (As opposed to the latest stable build)?

They're usually up for download @ http://www.molykeia.com/daco/

I'm using the latest one, the one that features frameskip.
Even some shots people posted of Mario Galaxy have that problem, though. Some of the polygons just aren't so sharp It still looks nice, I think, but still...

WesFX

Neo Member
Xabora said:
My copy of PN03 here.

High Res:
2hx8sih.jpg

Oh my. Please please please more of P.N.03.
I've been looking for some (not incredibly hard, though) for the past three years. It's when I realized just how many polygons the game was pushing.

To the first point, yes, you're right, I guess. I downscaled it and upscaled it in Photoshop and it pretty much looked the same. :( I thought it looked nice, though.

To your second point... I guess I'll have to look around for the appropriate homebrew, so thanks.

I did more pictures just now, of Sonic and the Black Knight. Sure, the game isn't all that great, but some areas do look nice.

vgftc.png

2rrto28.png
It looks like the internal resolution is 480p in those shots... way too blurry

HUELEN10

vsdfra.png
Blurry or not, don't know what exactly the issue is mind you, this looks gorgeous.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Prime Blue said:

It amazes me you still get a collective of Nintendrones who claim stuff like this doesn’t look better than the original version.

I don’t even care about the art assets. I just want a nicely performing HD display with some AA/AF to make the overall image crisper and clearer. It makes such a difference when objects in the background are more than a jumbled mess of hideous pixels.

infinityBCRT said:
It looks like the internal resolution is 480p in those shots... way too blurry
You're right.
After investigating further, it seems that Sonic and the Black Knight, and only that game, shows as 640x480, but upscaled. I turned off all filters and antialiasing, and it basicaly looked like a 640x480 game zoomed in. :(

There are some exceptions... In the picture below, the red circled part is normal, and what the whole game should look like, but I don't know why the game is like that...

1zf3ql5.png

It's still a really pretty game, though...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have some problems.

Firstly, the emulator doesnt work a vast majority of the time. It gives me the "Failed to grab 1GB of contiguous memory!" error. I've checked the official FAQ and none of the solutions seem to work.

Oddly, Twilight Princess has somehow started working when it originally didn't. Other games still fail, including 'simple' games like Excite-Truck.

What seems odd though is Twilight Princess appears to be rendering it's polygons at a still stock resolution, yet text and textures are being displayed with whatever I set. It's most noticable during the opening scenes. The "Twilight Princess" logo along with the background textures during file selection are blatantly more crisp and sharp than a standard Wii, obviously rendering at a higher resolution, yet in-game jaggies are still far too large.

Essentially, outside of overlayed textures and text the graphics look like they're stretched. Detail that should be rendering higher over distance is still muddy, as if it's just being upscaled.

I've got "native" turned off, as well as "render to main window" and "auto scale", but it still wont work. Any help?

bee

new widescreen hack lets you play gamecube games in 16:9, with proper aspect ratio

old stretched style
ndogt4.jpg

new hack style
6du1hj.jpg

bee said:
new widescreen hack lets you play gamecube games in 16:9, with proper aspect ratio

old stretched style
ndogt4.jpg

new hack style
6du1hj.jpg

WAIT WHAT?? This is fucking ridiculous. They have managed not only to render in gorgeous HD but also to widen the camera angle :lol :lol

Shame about the HUD but that is awesome. I'm thinking of building myself a PC soon, my min requirements will be Twilight Princess at full speed. I think that's a good enough benchmark.

Diablos

I have a Q8200, 4GB of ram overclocked 1000mhz, and a Radeon HD 3600. OS is Win7 64-bit. How well would this emulator run?

Vaandaviii said:
WAIT WHAT?? This is fucking ridiculous. They have managed not only to render in gorgeous HD but also to widen the camera angle :lol :lol
:eek:
:0
:O

as for confusion over certain games still looking upscaled it's usually various effects filters. the way the cube did filters (and the wii) doesn't seem to work with upscaling... super mario galaxy was back and forth for me depending on the level last i tried it.

Diablos said:
I have a Q8200, 4GB of ram overclocked 1000mhz, and a Radeon HD 3600. OS is Win7 64-bit. How well would this emulator run?

The games that seem to be more compatible with the emu run nicely on my Q6600/4Gb RAM/8800GT at stock. Overclocking helps with the more problematic games but even then it usually isn't at full speed.

Zenith said:
a perfectly emulated wii version would be better than the modded PC version in every area except textures.

there are lots of effects (not just lighting) missing from the PC/PS2 version, that no mod is going to add back in.

is the Wii version playable start to finish yet? last i tried it going into the map/menu/inventory always led to a crash on the way out.

do they have it running full screen on a widescreen monitor yet?

bee said:

Damn impressive, its stuff like this which makes emulation so awesome, way better than any official BC solution. I know NullDC added this feature and whilst it often works OK there was often a load of popin in the new rendered area. How's it working with Dolphin?The potential is awesome.

brain_stew said:
Damn impressive, its stuff like this which makes emulation so awesome, way better than any official BC solution. I know NullDC added this feature and whilst it often works OK there was often a load of popin in the new rendered area. How's it working with Dolphin?The potential is awesome.
even if it ONLY works in wind waker, it's fucking awesome. can't wait to get home tonight and try all this. haven't checked on dolphin in an age.

prime trilogy better be top priority atm for them.

bee

brain_stew said:
How's it working with Dolphin?The potential is awesome.

much like you'd imagine with a hack, some games are flawless whilst others have artifacts/corruption

25heae8.jpg

5xmr8x.jpg

Haunted

EatChildren said:
I just want a nicely performing HD display with some AA/AF to make the overall image crisper and clearer. It makes such a difference when objects in the background are more than a jumbled mess of hideous pixels.
True.

Get with the times, Nintendo. Lots of people have HDTVs now (I think?), you can't hold out for much longer!

Holy schnikes @ widescreen hack. I didn't know you could do that in NullDC, I'll have to try it out! Is there a widescreen hack for PCSX2 or any N64/PSX emulator?

HUELEN10

nincompoop said:
Holy schnikes @ widescreen hack. I didn't know you could do that in NullDC, I'll have to try it out! Is there a widescreen hack for PCSX2 or any N64/PSX emulator?
I know that at least 1 N64 emu has widescreen support, but it doesn't work perfectly. It is for OS X, I saw one of my buddies dicking around with it months ago.

jett

D-Member
Yeah N64 emulation has the widescreen hack as well, it's actually implemented better than in the Dolphin emu, as the bitmaps don't stretch like in those Wind Waker screenshots.

Durante

Wow, Dolphin really improves at an amazing pace. I just played the first 10 levels of Kororinpa (still one of my favourite Wii games) without a single framedrop or video/audio glitch. At 1920*1200 4xAA mind you.

I said a year or so ago that Wii emulation should in principle be easier than PS2 emulation, but I didn't expect it to improve quite so fast.

Some downscaled screenshots:
11sm4pd.jpg

ctj48.jpg

2112n4p.jpg

2v33j2c.jpg

How do you enable widescreen renderring in N64 games? I'm using Project64 version 1.6 with Mudlord's Rice Video Build 1.6.4 and I don't know which option to enable, or if I need an updated plugin.

Durante, do you know if Marble Saga works? Also, post your Kororinpa shots in full res!

Durante

nincompoop said:
Durante, do you know if Marble Saga works? Also, post your Kororinpa shots in full res!
I don't own Marble Saga, sorry.
I had already deleted the full res version of my other shots, but I made 2 new ones: (Still not full res since tinypic would resize them, but close)
2w70904.jpg

96drwh.jpg

The 16:9 hack works well on all the 3D elements, but the 2D parts are stretched.

Kuran

Banned
I can't get my Wiimote to stay synced to Windows XP (Bootcamp), could it be because my Wiimotes are all tied to my Wii?

I can scan for it, and add it.. but as soon as I close the Bluetooth control panel, it forgets the wiimote was ever added as a device.

bridegur

That Wind Waker widescreen is amazing. I'd like to see some screens of areas other than the opening island. In addition, how's Mario Sunshine running now? I'd love to see some shots of the different levels in that.

Sonic and the Black Knight has some really nice looking screens, and then some really stupid looking ones. Some of the screens, like the outdoors areas, look good IMO. And then... well there are the rest.

jett

D-Member
nincompoop said:
How do you enable widescreen renderring in N64 games? I'm using Project64 version 1.6 with Mudlord's Rice Video Build 1.6.4 and I don't know which option to enable, or if I need an updated plugin.

With Jabo's plug-in, advanced -> adjust game aspect to match yours

bee

bridegur said:
That Wind Waker widescreen is amazing. I'd like to see some screens of areas other than the opening island. In addition, how's Mario Sunshine running now? I'd love to see some shots of the different levels in that.

sms runs pretty much perfect with a few glitches i hear, not got it myself

lost my save game for wind waker, pissed me off so i can only take screens of the opening area for now, but i might play through it again in 1080p goodness

iz9iyr.jpg

mj1gli.jpg

i'll grab screens of everything i have that works in widescreen later.

i wonder if CVX is in anything like a playable state these days?

also i hear some versions of killer 7 work, which i hope is true, cause that game looks amazing in HD.

Q8D3vil

just found out that i have zelda after selling my wii

i want to try this emulation thing
i have windows 7 intel i7 + gtx 295
i downloaded dolphin but it give me a black screen
can anyone help me with the setting ( screenshots maybe )
i use 64 bit version
thanks

Top Bottom