• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

bran

EatChildren said:
You will need a blue tooth dongle to interact with the remote.

As for the sensor bar, you can use anything that projects similar light, or drag your sensor bar and Wii over and use it via that.

The sensor bar doesnt send any data to the Wii. Its not a device with any programming or functionality beyond lights. Its literally just a bar with a bunch of LED lights at either end. The cable that connects it to your Wii is nothing more than a power cable. All the actual data is collected by the remote and sent back to your Wii (or dongle in the case of a PC).

So, all you need is anything to simulate a sensor bar, plugged in or not. Hell, candles work!

Is the stock wii sensor bar ground and +5v?

Maybe i'll just butcher that and solder it to a USB connector.

ATF487 said:
I was surprised to learn that Gamecube games aren't necessarily easier to emulate than Wii ones, with games like Metroid Prime requiring more CPU than most Wii titles.
Ah ok. Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So I just got a new computer and want to know what settings would be ideal for lets say, Mario Kart Wii.

I have:
ATI 5850
2.8ghz intel i7
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

The framerate according to the emulator says 60fps but I can't help but notice, that while smooth, all of the games are running slowly. (cars in Mario Kart moving like they're going at 20mph as opposed to 80mph)

Oddly enough, I can't even get Sonic Gems Collection to work. Guess an emulator emulating a game emulating Sonic CD is too hard. :lol

thuway

Guys I'm about to build a PC pretty soon, can any of you guys guide me on what I should purchase in a 600 dollar build? I've been in the PC thread, but is there anything special going on here that should be addressed seperately?

Jin34

I have a couple of questions: Can one play Super Mario Galaxy properly without the Wii remote (like using the second analog as the pointer and mapping the spin to a button) and can one transfer save files from the Wii to use in Dolphin.

thuway: well you are going to want to buy a cpu cooler so you can OC it, clockspeed is what affects dolphin performance the most if things havent changed lately.

Edit: Never mind, the dolphin site has a "how to" for both my questions.

thuway said:
Guys I'm about to build a PC pretty soon, can any of you guys guide me on what I should purchase in a 600 dollar build? I've been in the PC thread, but is there anything special going on here that should be addressed seperately?

$600 would usually mean getting an Athlon ii X4, if Wii emulation is important to you then go with a Core i3 530.

Nabs

IPoopStandingUp said:
So I just got a new computer and want to know what settings would be ideal for lets say, Mario Kart Wii.

I have:
ATI 5850
2.8ghz intel i7
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

The framerate according to the emulator says 60fps but I can't help but notice, that while smooth, all of the games are running slowly. (cars in Mario Kart moving like they're going at 20mph as opposed to 80mph)

Oddly enough, I can't even get Sonic Gems Collection to work. Guess an emulator emulating a game emulating Sonic CD is too hard. :lol

try this: turn off the frame limit, turn off audio throttle (dsp settings), use direct3D9 instead of open gl, and turn on vsync

thuway

brain_stew said:
$600 would usually mean getting an Athlon ii X4, if Wii emulation is important to you then go with a Core i3 530.

I would rather stick with AMD. In the future (as in 3-4 months) are any AMD processors going to have any sort of CPUs that can handle Wii emulation in a $600 configuration?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
try this: turn off the frame limit, turn off audio throttle (dsp settings), use direct3D9 instead of open gl, and turn on vsync

I just switched to those settings and I get a perfect 60 fps in NSMB at 1080p with 4X supersampling. It looks insane.

Nabs

awesome. for nsmbw, try turning on audio throttle so that sounds are at normal speed.

the only issue w/ nsmbw is you have to play w/ enable efb copy to texture (in advanced gfx tab) and that kills regular coin animations. i hope they fix this.

Dascu

Finally got around to trying out Killer7 on this emulator, and it all looks and runs fine, except the sound. The dialog voices start playing but then just stop. All the other sound effects seem to be working though.

thuway said:
I would rather stick with AMD. In the future (as in 3-4 months) are any AMD processors going to have any sort of CPUs that can handle Wii emulation in a $600 configuration?

The X4 should be fine. I'm running and X3 at 3.3GHz and I get good framerates in everything I've tried.

thuway said:

Not at stock, that's for sure. If you OC, you might have a chance but even then you won't be matching the performance of a stock i3 in Dolphin.

ArjanN

Dascu said:
Finally got around to trying out Killer7 on this emulator, and it all looks and runs fine, except the sound. The dialog voices start playing but then just stop. All the other sound effects seem to be working though.

Yeah, it's a known bug.

confused

Banned
Anybody here have a linky to a recent game compatability list ? I bet it's somewhere in the thread but I'll be damned to read through everything.

Chris R

Bluetooth dongle showed up today and it works perfectly. Now the only problem is the fact that I don't have an LG DVD drive or a Wii with HBC on it any more (had HBC on at some point to try and set my Wii up to be used as a DVD player, but got lazy and reverted to the latest firmware... thinking I'm screwed on that front now :( )

Going to have to do some reseach to see if I can't get homebrew working again on my Wii, otherwise I guess I have to buy a new DVD drive :lol

so i finally have it running my games. but, it's telling me it can't save. also, i'm having a tough time actually getting it run in the resolutions i want. it keeps defaulting back to 640x480. any ideas?

Platy

Small question that i'm not finding anywhere .... it emulates nand and other stuff required to emulate Wiiware stuff ?

I showed Swords & Soldiers to a friend and he is desperate to play it xD

ATF487

rhfb said:
Bluetooth dongle showed up today and it works perfectly. Now the only problem is the fact that I don't have an LG DVD drive or a Wii with HBC on it any more (had HBC on at some point to try and set my Wii up to be used as a DVD player, but got lazy and reverted to the latest firmware... thinking I'm screwed on that front now :( )

Going to have to do some reseach to see if I can't get homebrew working again on my Wii, otherwise I guess I have to buy a new DVD drive :lol

I had 4.2 and I installed HBC on it, it's actually really easy. Just follow the gaf wiki

You'll be able to access the Wii Shop channel too, so there's not a downside really

scitek

I OC'ed my Phenom II 2.8 GHz to 3.25 GHz and am able to play games like NSMBWii and Excitebots fine. The main problem I've found is that a lot of games are just buggy, so no one should expect to be able to replace their Wii with the exception of a few games.

Visceir

brain_stew said:
Not at stock, that's for sure. If you OC, you might have a chance but even then you won't be matching the performance of a stock i3 in Dolphin.

Any specific reason why?

I'm planning to get a Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition and overclock it to 3.6 Ghz. It's ~50$ cheaper than an i3...and apparently also runs on higher Ghz in stock than the i3 does.

If a Phenom II X2 550 is good enough to run the emulator then he should go with that if hes working with a tight budget.

Platy

Platy said:
Small question that i'm not finding anywhere .... it emulates nand and other stuff required to emulate Wiiware stuff ?

I showed Swords & Soldiers to a friend and he is desperate to play it xD

...answering my own question ... yes, some wiiware is fully playbale in the emu, including swords & soldiers !

Now if anyone wants to post some 720p "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King" screens ...would be really interesting =3

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ultimatum said:
Do you guys all play with your Wii controllers? Would it work with a 360 controller?
For games that use the Gamecube controller, then yes, there is a nice little Xinput plugin that maps all the Gamecube buttons to the 360 controller, it even has rumble :D

JADS

Platy said:
...answering my own question ... yes, some wiiware is fully playbale in the emu, including swords & soldiers !

Now if anyone wants to post some 720p "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King" screens ...would be really interesting =3

Durante

In case anyone is wondering how stable Dolphin is these days:
dolphin-2010-03-07-04-9f3c.jpg

All done in Dolphin, 720p/4xSSAA, 2 player coop (with real wiimotes).

Bonus screenshots:
dolphin-2010-03-06-23-0h7n.jpg

dolphin-2010-03-06-23-hcui.jpg

Durante

darkpaladinmfc said:
What glitches are there in NSMBWii?
Gold coins (standard ones, not star coins) don't rotate and sometimes turn invisible when they are moved by a POW block. That's all I can think of.

Firestorm

Cow Mengde said:
Are you referring to the screens posted by Durante? Because those screens are 480p.
With 4x SSAA. So he's rendering them at 4x the resolution (2560x1920) and the game is shrinking it down to 640x480 to give it amazing image quality.

Medalion said:
Damit, WiiHD needs to come out soon, never knew NSMBWII could look that nice
Why? We have something that is better than WiiHD could ever be anyway. You think Nintendo would have supersampling and crank the internal res as high as you can with this?
Dolphin literally gets better every day too, the future is nowwww! :lol

In other, more exciting news, Fatal Frame IV came in the mail this morning!!! All I need to do is WiiScrub the bastard and I'll have her running in HD and in English in no time.
Can't wait, although I think I should be the other 3 first...decisions.

Chris R

Ok so the game that was in my Wii that I used to test this all out was ExciteBots. I installed BootMii/HBC/Custom IOS/USBLoader and then ripped the disc to a WBFS file (16GB USB stick so I'll just use that to bring games over). Used the Wii Backup Manager to convert the WBFS file into an ISO and it loads just fine in Dolphin. The game looks decent right now (only uses 70% of my quad core CPU though (just looking at task manager) and I couldn't get the Wiimote to work correctly. Only spent like 10 mins trying so I'm betting there is something really obvious I'm doing wrong. Ended up connecting a USB controller and mapping a few buttons, but trying to get the movement of the actual Wiimote mapped onto an analog stick was a PITA and it never fully worked. Game was also running at mach 1 and absolutely none of the letters were legible SEE PIC

http://i45.tinypic.com/12510m0.png

http://i47.tinypic.com/s5cx2f.png

So bad dolphin setup? or bad rip? (I know, no AA/AF/ect setup yet, I'm just trying to get games working at this point :lol )

Nabs

here are my settings for excite. i get a perfect 30 on every course (i think). (pc: i7 860 / ati 5850 / 4gb ram / w7 64bit).

D3D9:

i used to run it w/ 9xSSAA but some stages just can't handle it (scotland for instance) so i use 2.5xssaa

latest dolphin rev from dolphin-emulator.com

as for controls, i have everything mapped right... just having issues w/ the "push" motion. on my controller: Roll Left (Down) Roll Right (Up) Pitch Down (Left) Pitch Up (Right) 1 (A) 2 (RB) and so on.

Alright, finally got Dolphin running on my MacBook Pro. Super Mario Galaxy in HD looks amazing, of course. I'm having an issue though, every now and then the Wii Remote's rumble will go haywire and rumble constantly. Are there any fixes for this?

What about trying to escape full screen? Dolphin will crash when I do so.

Chris R

Nabs said:
here are my settings for excite. i get a perfect 30 on every course (i think). (pc: i7 860 / ati 5850 / 4gb ram / w7 64bit).

D3D9:

i used to run it w/ 9xSSAA but some stages just can't handle it (scotland for instance) so i use 2.5xssaa

latest dolphin rev from dolphin-emulator.com

as for controls, i have everything mapped right... just having issues w/ the "push" motion. on my controller: Roll Left (Down) Roll Right (Up) Pitch Down (Left) Pitch Up (Right) 1 (A) 2 (RB) and so on.
The text is readable, and in the Dolphin Wiimote config screen I can make my Wiimote rumble and the button lights up as Wiimote #1, but as soon as I try to use it in game nothing works. I get to the screen where it says, "Press Button 2" and nothing works :(

edit: At least I know that my ripping method works. Now to rip the remainder of my Wii and GC games (this is going to take awhile :lol )

Nabs

ah youre using your wiimote. i dont have my bluetooth adapter in just yet, so i haven't had the chance to try it. go to dolphin-emu and check the forum. chances are 50 others have had the same problem you do. i'm interested to hear how the game performs for you.

JADS

rhfb said:
The text is readable, and in the Dolphin Wiimote config screen I can make my Wiimote rumble and the button lights up as Wiimote #1, but as soon as I try to use it in game nothing works. I get to the screen where it says, "Press Button 2" and nothing works :(

edit: At least I know that my ripping method works. Now to rip the remainder of my Wii and GC games (this is going to take awhile :lol )

Do you have Input Source set to Real Wiimote?

Chris R

JADS said:
Do you have Input Source set to Real Wiimote?
Yes I do, and like I said, the Wiimote's light shows up like it is the first channel, and when I hit refresh it rumbles.

Game runs pretty well, but I'm only running it at 720p for the time being (with I guess no AA/AF since I don't have that setup in my ATI CCC yet)

edit: Well now it did just work. Yay I guess! Now to rip the remainder of my games...

Schlomo

rhfb said:
Yes I do, and like I said, the Wiimote's light shows up like it is the first channel, and when I hit refresh it rumbles.

Game runs pretty well, but I'm only running it at 720p for the time being (with I guess no AA/AF since I don't have that setup in my ATI CCC yet)

edit: Well now it did just work. Yay I guess! Now to rip the remainder of my games...

Real Wiimote implementation still has its issues. With an earlier revision it developed an increasing input lag over time, and even with a recent one I still experience moments where it stops working for a second or two. Also, about every half hour it will just disconnect and I have to use my mouse to click YES to resume play. At least for the latter issue, I think they are working on implementing auto-reconnect.

Btw, what are you using to rip your GC games?

Durante said:
In case anyone is wondering how stable Dolphin is these days:
dolphin-2010-03-07-04-9f3c.jpg

All done in Dolphin, 720p/4xSSAA, 2 player coop (with real wiimotes).
Can you post your settings in Dolphin and PC specs? I've got the game running at 60fps at both 1080p and 720p with 2xSSAA and 16xAF but there is some sort of stuttering when moving the screen in the map and as it scrolls during gameplay.
Running a i5@3Ghz and have a 5850.

Schlomo said:
Real Wiimote implementation still has its issues. With an earlier revision it developed an increasing input lag over time, and even with a recent one I still experience moments where it stops working for a second or two. Also, about every half hour it will just disconnect and I have to use my mouse to click YES to resume play. At least for the latter issue, I think they are working on implementing auto-reconnect.

Btw, what are you using to rip your GC games?

Some dude made a build that auto-reconnects and it works great. I was having issues before but not anymore. It's x64 version though.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-7751.html

I must say, Tatsunoko vs Capcom in HD is stunning.

Top Bottom