• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

Milpool said:
Code:
Date                Time    Location  	                        Tracking Event
08-12-2006 	12:24 	Liverpool South Depot 	     Out for delivery
08-12-2006 	06:34 	Liverpool South Depot 	     Arrived at delivery depot
08-12-2006 	00:47 	National Hub 	                  Sorted in hub

My girlfriend rang them at about quarter to 5, and they said because it's 'out for delivery' we'll definitely get it before half 5.
Damn, unlucky man. Mine was out for delivery at like 2:20 am and it arrived at my house at about 4pm. Looks like you won't get it until Monday unfortunately.

Falch

Got my Wii yesterday afternoon (had a reservation at Dixons), and it has exceded my expectations. Wii Sports is so much fun, especially tennis. Online (Mii, VC) is very easy to use, clean interface, fast loading. I've barely even touched zelda yet, I've been so consumed with all the other things you can do.

Only slight bummer is no componentcables, especially since I just yesterday got myself a nice HDTV. :)

Milpool

EternalDarko said:
Damn, unlucky man. Mine was out for delivery at like 2:20 am and it arrived at my house at about 4pm. Looks like you won't get it until Monday unfortunately.

Wii GET! It was delivered this morning at 7:45, which I thought had no chance of happening after reading the parcel force website about Saturday deliveries. Hopefully Zelda will arrive with the usual post soon, went through both updates fine and fast, and linked Wii Shop with my VIP account.

I also got 2 Wii VIP star cards, too bad I can only register one.

Wes

venison crêpe
Got my Wii around lunchtime yesterday. Also managed to rush out and get WiiPlay from a little store in Milton Keynes!

So really really happy. Especially after hearing about all the shortages on the tv. Good luck to all of GAF who are still after one, it's really worth it.

My whole family were playing WiiSports and WiiPlay yesterday. It's great fun. Just constant laughter especially playing the Cow Racing on WiiPlay, that thing is just fantastic :lol :lol

Gav

Wes said:
Got my Wii around lunchtime yesterday. Also managed to rush out and get WiiPlay from a little store in Milton Keynes!

So really really happy. Especially after hearing about all the shortages on the tv. Good luck to all of GAF who are still after one, it's really worth it.

My whole family were playing WiiSports and WiiPlay yesterday. It's great fun. Just constant laughter especially playing the Cow Racing on WiiPlay, that thing is just fantastic :lol :lol

Good stuff :D
Cant wait to play mine. 2 more weeks...

Managed to track down a copy of Wii Play today anyway. My mate put one to the side where he works.

maxmars

Wes said:

:) So you finally got it, congrats!

Xavien

Milpool said:
Wii GET! It was delivered this morning at 7:45, which I thought had no chance of happening after reading the parcel force website about Saturday deliveries. Hopefully Zelda will arrive with the usual post soon, went through both updates fine and fast, and linked Wii Shop with my VIP account.

I also got 2 Wii VIP star cards, too bad I can only register one.

I got my Wii yesterday, about the VIP cards, i've noticed the Q and the O's are very similar, i almost got caught out with it, look for a tiny tail at the bottom right if its a Q.

Also on VIP cards don't use 0's use O's instead, follow those two and you shouldn't have any problems registering them :)

I gotta say Wii Sports is awesome and i haven't tried Zelda yet, Red Steel is fun, but suffers from a little bit of slowdown which is frustrating, Rayman is good, but pretty tough.

Wii play is also good, but it really is a sort of tutorial set of games to help you get better with the wiimote.

I haven't managed to get Wii Points <-- Stars thing to work yet, is it active yet?

painey

anyone else feel a bit sore this morning? I clocked about 5 hours of Wii Sports yesterday and when I got up I felt fine, it wasnt until I loaded up Wii Sports again that i felt a sore right hip and stiff right forearm. Obviously when I play Wii sports I use muscles that i often neglect

Furoba

painey said:
anyone else feel a bit sore this morning? I clocked about 5 hours of Wii Sports yesterday and when I got up I felt fine, it wasnt until I loaded up Wii Sports again that i felt a sore right hip and stiff right forearm. Obviously when I play Wii sports I use muscles that i often neglect

Did you stretch afterwards?

Wii is great, my parents love it too, and I finally managed to get Wii24Connect online. Hopefully we'll see more functionality soon.

I'm just wandering, did anyone from here pre-order from pcworld.co.uk?

I pre-ordered around about the 9th November, but I received an e-mail saying they have run out of stock. So I was wandering whats the chance I will get one before the end of the year, considering I pre-ordered on November 9th?

Cheers.

Let me set the scene:

BUYING A NINTENDO WII
Thursday 07 December 2006,
Indoors, my place of work, Liverpool, England, UK. Its raining outside.

I was in work on Thursday, from 7.30am - 4:00pm. Having not pre-ordered the machine beforehand, I was in a bit of panic as to how I was going to get a machine. All I knew was that I needed to get my Zelda fix this weekend. No matter the cost! ..as optimus prime would say :p

Great King Bowser and I had been PM'ing each other here on NeoGAF - he's in London and I'm in Liverpool. GKB had a similar predicament... and we were talking about supermarkets being the best bet. It turns out we were right, but getting a Wii at a supermarket comes at a price (a bloody long wait).

Not far from where I live we have a large ASDA store. I didn't know how many systems they were getting (if any), and I didn't know whether they were selling them at midnight or on Friday morning. Somebody in this very thread also told me that ASDA stores were doing reserve lists, and this sent me into a further panic. Was I too late?! I called them up:

- They were selling at midnight,
- They had 18 systems
- There were already three people in line!
- There was a reserve list but I needed to hurry up

PLAN A: GET MY DAD TO PUT ME ON THE LIST, BUY WII AT ASDA

With people already lining up and being stuck in work until 4pm I had to turn to family for help. I phoned my dad:

Hi dad?
"Hiya Thomas"

You're back in work at 5 right?
"Yeah"

Can you do me a favour before you go?
"What is it?"

Can you run down to ASDA for me and put my name down for something?
"Put your name down for what?"

They're selling the Nintendo Wii at midnight tonight, I don't have a pre-order and it'll sell out tomorrow
"How much you spending on this?"

Hundred and eighty pounds
"You're an idiot"

Don't worry, our Paul is putting 80 towards it!
"He's an idiot too"

My dad doesn't like videogames. In spite of that though, he will do anything he can to help me (within reason), so he popped down to ASDA for me. They told him he can't put a name down for someone else, and he can't put a name down at all unless he's gonna stay in the store til midnight. He phones me back in work and tells me it was a big waste of time. Internally I'm going "WHAT?! ****! ****!" but I kindly thank him for trying and come to terms with what I now have to do.

After spending 8 hours plus in work, I'd have to get the train to Aintree, and then wait a further 7 and a half hours. In a line. In ASDA.

PLAN B: RUSH TO ASDA AFTER WORK, WAIT LIKE I'VE NEVER WAITED BEFORE

I was 12th to arrive (this is out of 18 remember!). The first guy there had been there since 10am on Thursday morning! To me this is absolutely nuts. I haven't seen people so committed to console launches before... I'd heard about this kind of thing of course, in message board posts and seen evidence of it from pictures on the Internet, but I couldn't believe this stuff now actually happens in the little village where I live!

Soon after I got there, all the positions were filled. Just as they'd told my dad, we weren't allowed to leave the store until midnight. We were allowed to wander the store, go the toilet, or go for some food/drink -- but they warned us that they would be randomly calling our names out over the tannoy. If we didn't appear at the entertainment section to answer them, they would cross our names off the list and give our place in line to someone else. Just as an aside note here -- they never actually did this. Not once :/

Luckily they had a McDonalds, plenty of stuff to read, and I had my DS lite with me (with all of my games). Talking to people in line helped kill some time, and my mate Matt dropped off his iPod so I could listen to a few Ricky Gervais podcasts.

RESOLUTION: BUYING THE SYSTEM

We were told that they only had Red Steel and Rayman to sell. I'm not particularly interested in either... at least not until I'm paid again and have money to burn.

I was kind of gutted that after all this, all I'd have was Wii Sports. I'd so been looking forward to Zelda! Having said that, lots of people were coming into the store, asking about the Wii and being turned away. If there was any doubt before, I could now tell this thing was in high demand. Feeling a mixture of disappointment and brimming over with zealous commitment - I would see this through. All of a sudden -- just before midnight, just as we were lining up, they pushed in a trolley full of games. Pretty much every launch game was in there. ZERUDAAAAAA!

I walked out of ASDA with my Wii shortly after midnight, got it home, set it up, and played Wii Sports with my brother until 4am. Its the perfect title to have packed in, I'm in no doubt now. That night I also picked up Wii Play-: its a bit crap aside from Laser Hockey and a couple of other minigames, and you can blast through it in less than half an hour, but hey - you get a new remote with it! No regrets there. And of course, I picked up Twilight Princess.

I've avoided a lot of threads and information about the game, and I only really started playing it properly last night.

I got stuck trying to get the cat back to its owner in Ordon village. I can't really tell how long it took me to do it, because I lost all sense of time. For those who don't know, this is one of those introductory things you have to do at the very beginning of the game. You haven't even got a sword and shield at this point. I have absolutely no experience or understanding of fishing so it took me a very long time to realise the mechanics of what I had to do.
I'd tried fishing but I was crap at it. I wasn't really paying attention to the bobbing float, and every time I caught one and pressed A to release it, it just went back in the water. Eventually a friend called me and told me I was doing the right thing and to stick at it. I reeled in a fish (exactly the same as all the others I'd caught) and for whatever reason, when I pressed A, the cat was there at the waters edge to pick it up. I never want to do this part of the game ever again. Ever.

From there on though its been plain sailing. I've just defeated the boss in the forest temple and I'm heading to the Western province of Eldin. I was just taking a break from the game and realised I haven't checked NeoGAF much since I bought this thing at all. So hey! There ya go! I have a Wii!

Add me!

4364 9556 8067 3355

DrM

Redmond's Baby
painey said:
you are not only one. My right arm hurts abit, in triceps area. Yeah, too much Wiisports yesterday

What's the verdict on Wii Play? I think the multiplayer is alright, some games good, others crap... only worth it because the game is £5 (£30 controller + £5 = Wii Play). Doing the Wii Remote with it thing seems to be a way to get you into multiplayer, because the single player mode is shite.
Wii Play is pretty much the type of thing we should see on the Wii Software section of the Wii Shop Channel. Sadly, Nintendo would sell each individually for about 500 Wii Points, when 1000 Wii Points (£7.50) wouldn't be a bad price to have it downloaded to the system as 1 channel.

JonathanEx said:
What's the verdict on Wii Play? I think the multiplayer is alright, some games good, others crap... only worth it because the game is £5 (£30 controller + £5 = Wii Play). Doing the Wii Remote with it thing seems to be a way to get you into multiplayer, because the single player mode is shite.
Wii Play is pretty much the type of thing we should see on the Wii Software section of the Wii Shop Channel. Sadly, Nintendo would sell each individually for about 500 Wii Points, when 1000 Wii Points (£7.50) wouldn't be a bad price to have it downloaded to the system as 1 channel.

As they're not packing in a second Wii remote with the system, I think Wii Play is a great way to entice people into buying the second controller. Multiplayer is where this console really shines at the moment - particularly in Wii Sports. Everyone in my line was talking about what a great deal Wii Play is, so while it might not be particularly brilliant when you actually put the game in your system, the actual decision to market it in this particular way is quite clever. People feel they're getting a good deal.

I personally quite like laser hockey - aesthetically and in terms of gameplay. The game where you ride the cow will give people a good idea of how vechicular based games can and will control on the Wii as well. Its a very good introduction to the remote, and a great hint at the possibilities for it, but at the end of the day - I'll agree with anyone who would say its a bit of a crap game.

Does it really matter though? If you're going to buy a second remote - you're bound to think... why not?

I agree that small Mii based games are prime candidates for the download treatment btw.

Is there any video type that will work with the wii over the sd cards? It will play movies that are recorded from my camera, but anything else i've tried doesn't work.

JonathanEx said:
Only bought Wii Play because of the extra controller. A "free" game in that context isn't all that bad I figured. And though I haven't tried it yet, it looks like a pretty fun multiplayer game.

Oh yeah, I bought it for the second controller and I'm not regretting it. It's good multiplayer, it has the everyone appeal but it would never survive as a standalone game on store shelves. I'd have liked them to make it not blatantly a tech demo package, but for £5, hey, it's great value.

Newbie said:
Is there any video type that will work with the wii over the sd cards? It will play movies that are recorded from my camera, but anything else i've tried doesn't work.

They have to be MJPEG based clips in Quicktime or AVI format. The audio has to be in a format it will recognise too. The specifics are listed in the Wii manual I believe.

I'm hoping they expand the acceptable formats in future updates.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
radioheadrule83 said:
After spending 8 hours plus in work, I'd have to get the train to Aintree, and then wait a further 7 and a half hours. In a line. In ASDA.

To quote your dad "You're an idiot" ;)

altaz

Neo Member
radioheadrule83 said:
Let me set the scene:

BUYING A NINTENDO WII
Thursday 07 December 2006,
Indoors, my place of work, Liverpool, England, UK. Its raining outside.

I was in work on Thursday, from 7.30am - 4:00pm. Having not pre-ordered the machine beforehand, I was in a bit of panic as to how I was going to get a machine. All I knew was that I needed to get my Zelda fix this weekend. No matter the cost! ..as optimus prime would say :p ...............

Great story, glad you finally got your Wii! I am pretty sure that are no hardcore gamers in East London / Isle of Dogs since wen i phoned up to put my name down there was no one lining up, and when i turned up in the morning i was the second person there, only one other person turned up!

MrSardonic said:
To quote your dad "You're an idiot" ;)

All day yesterday when I was almost too tired to play - I felt like one :lol

altaz said:
Great story, glad you finally got your Wii! I am pretty sure that are no hardcore gamers in East London / Isle of Dogs since wen i phoned up to put my name down there was no one lining up, and when i turned up in the morning i was the second person there, only one other person turned up!

Thanks for telling me about the ASDA lists man. I wouldn't have gotten one for Friday at all otherwise! :D

SuomiDude

Now I have Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wii Play. Bought them both today.

Zelda is pretty cool so far. Can't really say it's the best Zelda ever, but I'm only couple of hours into it. Wii Play should be fun in two player, and I can now also test Wii Sports in two player mode :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wii play is worth it just to get used to the bloody pointer. Can't beleive you have to be so close. Adjusting the sensitivity helped a bit, but then Rayman starts putting big text across the screen "move the wiimote closer to the sensor bar". If I get any closer I'll be *in* the bloody TV

Yes I'm using your crappy composite cable Nintendo. the least you could do is let me play far enough back so I don't notice so much. :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone remember that email tip Demi posted a while back? Can't find it using search.

Something about being able to set up a 'real' email account and forward to your wii so people don't need to remember 'w123o987432975098750985078157t875375384535@wii.com'

edit: oops, here it is (and it was juice, not demi) link

radioheadrule83 said:
I'm hoping they expand the acceptable formats in future updates.
If Nintendo doesn't, I'd be surprised if another developer doesn't create a more comprehensive media viewer for purchase in the Wii Ware section of the shop.

altaz

Neo Member
Finally got my Wii setup right, my code is... 2594 7387 3874 9260.

Edit; Put in the right Wii number.

disco

I queued from 7.40 for it in Blackpool, UK. Damn, it's awesome, not as awesome when i got the ds the first time, but still awesome. The negative feelings i felt, were mostly that the pointer at first seemed terrible (i just couldnt use it!!) and Zelda didnt feel like a Zelda game. Also the graphics aren't wowing me, yes they are fine but i guess i always used to just be in awe of such step ups. But meh, it's great, i love it :D

Also, havnt played wii play yet, but bought it and as i had college on the friday i took out the wiimote to college to show afew friends. Lol, got it home... it didnt work. So i used the other one. But lol, abit annoyed, i had it in my pocket the whole time, certainly did less damage to it that the 1up people did.

Chittagong

Gold Member
discocaine said:
Also, havnt played wii play yet, but bought it and as i had college on the friday i took out the wiimote to college to show afew friends. Lol, got it home... it didnt work. So i used the other one. But lol, abit annoyed, i had it in my pocket the whole time, certainly did less damage to it that the 1up people did.

Did you sync it with your Wii? Three is a red button under the battery lid of the Wiimote and a red button under the hologram lid of the Wii. Press and hold both to sync it in the Wii menu.

The controller you get with Wii is already synced out of factory.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WHERE ARE THE NUNCHUKS!?

I didn't buy a second one on Friday thinking most multiplayer would just be with the wiimote to keep things simple.

But my wife - now suddenly a leet gamer after thrashing me in tennis - wants to box my virtual ears.

And everywhere is sold out. Did Nintendo ship only three to the whole country?

[Nintex]

The Lillster said:
How did you find that out?

Can you post a source if you have one please?
I live in holland so its the second shipment anyway:
They arrived at the distributors yesterday, and the Makro is going to sell em tuesday. My local store (free record shop) told me that they arrive between monday and wednesday.

Exypher

Nintex, do you know if Makro will get a lot of them? If you're positive they're getting them on tuesday I might go take a look...

Exypher

That's quite a lot, do you reckon they'll sell out quickly? I assume they won't go flying off the shelves at Makro but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone know what the deal is with Star Points?

We were told we'd be able to buy Wii points with Star Points, any idea when and how? They never said that Star Points would translate to Wii Points, but yeah that we could buy them, so I'm guessing it's going to be like 2,000 Sstar pts for 1,000 Wii pts.

Cosmozone

My Wii story:

In hindsight I'm glad I preordered. I originally thought it wouldn't be necessary. So I showed up on launch day at the department store on opening time. Launch craze seems to have ebbed off, since there was no Wii to be seen anywhere, only a small set of games and accessories. My preordered console was still there, though. The cashier pulled it out from under the desk.

So no Red Steel, no Zelda, no Wii Play or extra controller. I saw a copy of Zelda though. It was in the hands of a mom who apparently preordered. But I got Rayman and Madden. Nice for the latter, I wasn't sure if they were sold in Europe. There were also NfS and Call of Duty, wasn't interested in either and probably I was not the only one, heh. Especially CoD had 15 copies left or so. There were two nunchucks and one classic controller left, so I grabbed a nunchuck and the classic controller.

So next shop (electronics stuff retailer). There was some crowd left, I even see some Wiis, they were all carried around by customers, though. When I arrived, a container was just pushed into the sales area with loads of Raymans, Wii Plays and Monkey Balls. Got Wii Play to complete the extra controller set. Still no Zelda and Red Steel, I was getting nervous. Fortunately I overheard one of the salespeople say 'Zelda coming after a while', so I hanged around 5-10 minutes and a second container with about 50 Zelda copies arrived, yay!

Third shop was a toy shop comparable to Toys'R'Us, had only very few accessories and games left, perhaps 10 items total, but know what, among them was a lone copy of Red Steel which I grabbed. At the cashier there was an annoying line with customers carrying no Wii related stuff. It was actually the only line I had to endure, lol.

So in the end I got everything I wanted. Great! Got two hours late for work, but it was worth it.

Check out my Wii SWAG.

Yep im from the UK. Got the console from HMV Oxford Street midnight launch. The games and accessories from other sources.

Look at the cables!
The cables!
COMPONENT FTW!! MAAH HA HA!

wiistuffgo7.jpg

Please excuse the blurry crappy camera phone pics below..

wii2bv4.jpg

wii1sw3.jpg

tendomuseumid2.jpg

Ninja Dom

I got lucky and got mine.

Asda messed up my Midnight Launch Wii but a good friend saw a bunch of people queing outside GAME in Oxford Street yesterday (Sunday) morning. He went over to see what the fuss was and GAME were selling off the non-collected pre-orders after the 48 hour collection deadline had passed.

So he bought me one.

SUPERB!! But I need better cables than the supplied composite rubbish.

E-phonk

Banned
Getting a wii wasn't my problem, but I had to go to five stores before I could find a copy of zelda. It was sold out everywhere.

And I'd also like to know how we can transform stars into wii points.

Ninja Dom said:
I got lucky and got mine.

Asda messed up my Midnight Launch Wii but a good friend saw a bunch of people queing outside GAME in Oxford Street yesterday (Sunday) morning. He went over to see what the fuss was and GAME were selling off the non-collected pre-orders after the 48 hour collection deadline had passed.

So he bought me one.

SUPERB!! But I need better cables than the supplied composite rubbish.
They’re on sale from Friday 15th December.
I have mine pre-ordered at HMV!

Pre-ordered damned cables is soo damned bizarre!!

E-phonk said:
Getting a wii wasn't my problem, but I had to go to five stores before I could find a copy of zelda. It was sold out everywhere.

And I'd also like to know how we can transform stars into wii points.

Thats gonna be something they add in the near future, possibly after launch buzz has died down.

hadareud

The Translator
I didn't get my wii :(

I preordered at Argos and my order was accepted, since I didn't receive it on Friday I called Argos this morning and they ****ed my order, so I won't get. For ****s sake, what a joke.

I am not happy to say at the least. I hope there are more wii shipments coming soon.

Top Bottom