• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

Ninja Dom

dovella said:
were i can buy the component on line ??? pls help

I think the official component cables being sold online are the Japanese ones (which you can still use). European component cables should be out this Friday.

maxmars

Ninja Dom said:
I think the official component cables being sold online are the Japanese ones (which you can still use). European component cables should be out this Friday.

I think it's this friday for RGB, 22 dec for Component.

Ninja Dom said:

Thats correct. The link I provided are for the Japanese ones, imported from Hong Kong. Thats what I bought and had delivered within 2 days with EMS Speedpost, simply because I could not wait for the UK ones to be released. The japanese ones work fine in 480p 60hz and I have never had to have witnessed my Wii in dreadful composite.

Booser

Well I still havent got mine. Everywhere its the same story, sold out (Ireland). HMV werent able to fill their preorders. I think they got 32 consoles and had over 50 preorders so far when I rang them. GAME, Dixons, Tesco and GameBandits all said the same and that I probably wont be able to get one until the new year. **** you New Year.

Milpool

hadareud said:
I didn't get my wii :(

I preordered at Argos and my order was accepted, since I didn't receive it on Friday I called Argos this morning and they ****ed my order, so I won't get. For ****s sake, what a joke.

I am not happy to say at the least. I hope there are more wii shipments coming soon.

I've seen quite a few people who got one or sometimes two more Wii's than they actually ordered delivered from Argos, one is probably meant to be yours. some tossers even put them on ebay rather than returning them. Hopefully Argos will catch up with them.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
soo... Uh, what games are available for the Wii PAL launch?

Zelda
monkey ball
rayman
trauma center
excite truck
??

is that list correct? There are more? ;_;

Gav

Brobzoid said:

Zelda
monkey ball
rayman
trauma center
excite truck
??

Wii Play.
Red Steel.
Tony Hawks Downhill Jam
Need For Speed Carbon
Monster 4x4 (with wheel thing)
COD 3 (I think)
Saw another game aswell with the free wheel.

No Trauma centre that I saw. And no Excite truck.

Gav said:
Wii Play.
Red Steel.
Tony Hawks Downhill Jam
Need For Speed Carbon
Monster 4x4 (with wheel thing)
Saw another game aswell with the free wheel.

No Trauma centre that I saw. And no Excite truck.
Yeah there was 2 games with the wheel.

There was also Happy Feet based on the movie. I'm nearly positive I saw Madden too... I went to the official launch so they had numerous copies of every game out.

Brobzoid said:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Red Steel, Cars, Monster 4x4, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, EA Madden 2007, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Happy Feet, Call of Duty 3... I think there was another license-based game.

Looks like everyones mentioned all of these.

Finally! After so long waiting and several slip ups. Comet finally confirm my wii, 19th December agogo!

I think I learned from this that ordering online for a new system is more trouble than it needs to be. In future I'll stick with GAME and Gamestation methinks.

Open season would probably be the other licensed title you think about. And Cars is out as well. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact companies are charging 60 € for these quick and dirty ports.

painey

the woman i spoke to at game was furious at nintendo, she said they ****ed them on their allocation, didnt tell them there would be no rgb/component cables at launch and as of today at 11am they had no rgb cable delivery which was supposed to go on sale tomorrow

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just called a retailer here, no word yet on component cables. Literally. Nintendo hasn't even given a date for them. Goddammit

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Tried my local GAME just now, nothing received yet. They said they might receive some scarts later in the afternoon, so I'll probably give them a ring and save myself another wasted journey.

radioheadrule83 said:
Some shops had a few here but they've sold out. I've been told next week now.

I'm tempted to buy third party cables online
i ordered from Chipsworld on Wednesday afternoon and got them yesterday. Work like a charm, Component makes for a massive difference!

painey

DefectiveReject said:
i ordered from Chipsworld on Wednesday afternoon and got them yesterday. Work like a charm, Component makes for a massive difference!

i just tried to order from chipsworld but for some reason they give you too many spaces to enter your card number when using switch/maestro and it wont accept my order :s

I just went to a Gamestation, they had no SCARTs. But they did have component boxes on show. I tried to buy but the guy there said they were out, but they had been released. Nintendo cluster**** total.

KoffiiKat

Do component-to-scart converters exist? Will this affect image quality negatively? The sound on my TV is horrible and occasionally I want to use earphones. Thus I'd like to output the audio to somewhere else, however, the RGB cable sadly doesn't seem to allow any of that. =/

Or should I just get S-video instead (it's worse than RGB obviously, but I question whether it will be noticeable on a non-HD TV)?

(My TV doesn't support component input directly, obviously.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
darthbane2k said:
My Brother got an official RGB scart from GAME

can you post impressions compared to the composite lead? I don't think I'll bother with component if the SCART is ok.

mrklaw said:
can you post impressions compared to the composite lead? I don't think I'll bother with component if the SCART is ok.

Depends when I see him mate. He doent live with me. I have a component cable hooked up to my Wii. Its a better option than RGB if you have a ED/HD TV

Just got an RGB cable from GAME. I had to ask the manager to go back and get me one, they weren't out and he said they hadn't got anything, until I reminded him that they were supposed to be released today.

Anybody with a US Wii like me will be sad to learn it'll work with a US console, but it won't output in RGB mode.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After retail has failed me once again, I decided to settle for Ebay, and probably for the best. I bought the React third party component cables for €30 including shipping. Hopefully they'll get here fast, I want to play the second half of Zelda in style.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I got my Wii without pre-ordering it. Stores got a refill today or tomorrow (Belgium)

No Zelda around here. Look like they under-shipped it or what ?

I got lucky because some stores are talking about a 2 months wait :lol

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
so this may be a silly question...but does the Wii render the gamecube totally redundant? If I buy a Wii, its safe to sell my gamecue and never ever miss it for anything right?

Brobzoid

kaizoku said:
so this may be a silly question...but does the Wii render the gamecube totally redundant? If I buy a Wii, its safe to sell my gamecue and never ever miss it for anything right?

It won't be purple...?

Brobzoid

kaizoku said:
the thing I will miss the most, seriously, is the handle. I mean no handle, what a friggin downgrade.

istockphoto_859631_hammer_and_nails.jpg

what would MacGuyver do?

kaizoku said:
99.9% You're screwed if you wanted to continue to use the GB Player or to play PSO Episode I&II or Episode III online. Or use the LAN feature of Mario Kart, I guess.
kaizoku said:
the thing I will miss the most, seriously, is the handle. I mean no handle, what a friggin downgrade.
Heh. I was a handle fan, but the Wii is about as thick as that handle was.
Brobzoid said:
what would MacGuyver do?
Spell his name correctly? :)

Wollan

One thing that has really grown on me in regards to the Wii controller is the freedom of position. I must admit that using gamepads after having the ability to play with your arms separate from each other is a slight pain.

painey

i cancelled my play asia component order.. gunna have to try and get one next friday.. its gunna be SO busy in town :( As for the Wii controller i like them but i have a big gripe with the wire.. i hope they release a wireless nunchuck because the wires not only get in the way but the connectors at the bottom dont sit right in my hand

Nander

This is probably not the right thread to ask this but..

The Wiimotes have been completely sold out here in Sweden since launch, and just yesterday my local EB Games got the second shipment. I picked up a second remote, and when I got home I noticed that the speaker in the new one is a lot better than the one in my first remote. The "Zelda sound" sounds a lot better, and when Midna yells I don't get a headache. Have they improved the speakers or is my first remote faulty?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fuuuuuuuuck

my girlfriend mandated that I wouldn't be allowed a wii before christmas and told me not to go looking for one, filled the days with vague comments when asking her about orders and availabilities with 'oh, who knows.....' wink wink.

so she tells me today that they are all sold out and I'm not getting one. WTF

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Any UK gaffers want a 2GB SD card for their wii for £12.36?

Go to amazon.co.uk and add the Kingston Technology 2GB SD card to your basket, then add this item. Use promotional code HELLMANAMZN2 at checkout and select super saver delivery. Works, I've already done it.

warthog

I got mine yesterday. I wasn't sure about buying a Wii, but felt like it yesterday, called a local toy store and they had just received 2 Wii's. So I got 1 of those and luckily for me they also had 1 copy of Zelda.
I'm happy I got it, it rocks.

Top Bottom