• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Play Preview

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rocked said:
America may be getting Wii Play in 2007, but you're the only territory getting Excite Truck (which looks to be the better game) this year, so stop complaining. :p

erf, I thought I was getting that at launch with my PAL Wii :(

ethelred

«þ» said:
Actually you're probably right.

It would be awesome being able to controlling the power and intensity of the shots though.

Alkaliine said:
True, but at least Wii Tennis will offer that.

"And if you put them both together then you'll have a real game!"

Quick, who am I?

AntMurda

The main problem with releasing Wii Play in effing March or after, is that the game is tailored to be a launch or neaaaar launch title because of the controller pack-in. We can't wait 3-4 months.

Hell. We may never get it!!!

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
This is probably the only extra game I'll buy at launch, simply because of the extra controller... then all I need is another nunchuck and I'll just spend the holidays playing this and Wii Sports (and maybe some VC stuff) with my girlfriend until I have the money for more games

FROM LATEST NOM:

Big surprise is the pool game which seems more in depth and involving than any of the Wii sports games. Use dpdad to line up shot and remote to choose where to strike ball. Hold a button and pull back on remote like a cue and push forward to take shot. (with the speed affecting power)

The controls the camera the feel, everything about pool makes it great.

AntMurda

I want Ping Pong the most. Maybe Air Hockey as well.

Damn, EAD still has Wii MotorSports and Wii Music to handle. (Meaning find out how to release these experimental projects onto a commercial package)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
AntMurda said:
I want Ping Pong the most. Maybe Air Hockey as well.

Damn, EAD still has Wii MotorSports and Wii Music to handle. (Meaning find out how to release these experimental projects onto a commercial package)

w/ Different colors of the system, and seperately for 20$ each ala' Big Brain Academy.

Also, Nintendo is missing a perfect winter release with Wii Play. I'd buy it in heartbeat if it came with a wiimote.

Amir0x

Banned
gururoji said:
When I preordered a Wii at EB, the dude said that that VC point card + classic controller thing WAS happening in the US. Any other EB/Gamestop employess here that can vouch for it?

I hope so! It's definitely not in the system yet, though... which is lame, 'cause I'd like to just pay everything off. I just know if I pre-order 2000 VC points, the next week they will announce the 5000 points :lol

Actually, you can no longer pre-order Wii accessories at EB/Gamestop anyway. I had pre-ordered/paid of an extra controller a couple of weeks back, and I went in the other day to pre-order a VC controller, and alas, corporate took out the SKUs for all of the Wii accessories.
Believe it!

DJ_Tet

Banned
This is something I'd buy at launch or just after, mainly due to the free controller. If it doesn't come out in the US until March or later, I may not have a need for another controller then. I think NOA may lose out on sales if they don't offer this near launch.

ziran said:
Pose Mii
Twist the Wii Remote to rotate the Mii characters and quickly slot them into the correct positions as they fall down the screen.

posemiisez8.jpg

Does anybody here on this forum think that this will be fun for more than 5 seconds? The game reminds me of those shape sorters, and these are toys for 8-year olds.

oblo

Don't think I'd care for it if it wasn't for the "free" controller, it's more like a controller with a free game to me...and that's great seeing how I really like minigames but can't get myself to pay for them, love the little things in NSMB but only because they're a bonus to the normal game. Same reason why I'll probably pass on Wario Ware but have Monkey Ball Wii as one of my most wanted games at the moment...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
perryfarrell said:
Does anybody here on this forum think that this will be fun for more than 5 seconds? The game reminds me of those shape sorters, and these are toys for 8-year olds.

yeah, looks lame, i would have preferred the obstacle course game from E3

datruth29

When I see things like this, and the whole Mii thing that Nintendo is running with, I can't help but thing that Nintendo is going to be offering a lot of these "Mii" on there online store front.

datruth29 said:
When I see things like this, and the whole Mii thing that Nintendo is running with, I can't help but thing that Nintendo is going to be offering a lot of these "Mii" on there online store front.

Eh? Unless you're talking about downloadable accessories, why would they be selling Mii through the Shopping Channel?

ziran

godisturbed said:
FROM LATEST NOM:

Big surprise is the pool game which seems more in depth and involving than any of the Wii sports games. Use dpdad to line up shot and remote to choose where to strike ball. Hold a button and pull back on remote like a cue and push forward to take shot. (with the speed affecting power)

good to hear. billiards looks like it's going to be fun.

perryfarrell said:
i agree. from the video pose mii looks boring.

ziran

DefectiveReject said:
£35 for this and a controller, so £5 for this game...... If it is crap bar one or two of them, no big deal in my opinion!!
i'm not criticising the package, i agree with you, it's great.

in fact most of the games look fun imo, but pose mii looks like the weakest of what's been shown. i can see flicking through the shapes becoming annoying.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
666 said:
People see the 'free' controller, I just see a cheap ass, good for the price, game.

I see $60 in store credit because the controller will never get to my house

ziran said:
i'm not criticising the package, i agree with you, it's great.

in fact most of the games look fun imo, but pose mii looks like the weakest of what's been shown. i can see flicking through the shapes becoming annoying.
Don't you twist the Wii mote to get the desired shape you need? It shows people what the controller can do. To my Missus she can't believe it can do that, so to some it is a cool concept!!

DefectiveReject said:
Don't you twist the Wii mote to get the desired shape you need? It shows people what the controller can do. To my Missus she can't believe it can do that, so to some it is a cool concept!!
I read that you press a or b to make the poses and twist it to align the Miis.

Britprog

Good news for UK gaffers, it looks like the retail price for Wii play is £35. Thats a fiver less than normal Wii games.

It means it ends up costing £5 for just Wii Play, cause it cost £30 for an Wiimote.:D

LINK

Booser

Pool is the only game I really wanna play from this. I wish it was in Wii Sports, it sounds like a blast, esp two player.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
perryfarrell said:
This game might appeal the non-traditional crowd, or to a very young audience. It's hard for me to see how this will be fun for veteran gamers.

Really? Because I've been playing games for almost 20 years, and Wii Play looks ****ing awesome.

momolicious said:
this game was made for people to get a SECOND CONTROLLER

Which is exactly why it's so strange that there's no info about this being available at launch in North America.

If they release it next year, most people will have already purchased an extra controller.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Alkaliine said:
I was under the impression that in table tennis you actually don't swing to hit the ball, instead you move the paddle to where the ball is heading, and the paddle will hit the ball automatically.

so basically it's pong with better graphics :p

the tank game looks fun, same with pool - ill def pick this up to get another wiimote!

man i hope i can aford all this stuff come december..

*pushes mortgage aside*

Britprog said:
Good news for UK gaffers, it looks like the retail price for Wii play is £35. Thats a fiver less than normal Wii games.

It means it ends up costing £5 for just Wii Play, cause it cost £30 for an Wiimote.:D

LINK

Cheaper at Choices: http://www.choicesuk.com/productlist.aspx/game_home/wii_game_home?pg=4

£30. So, the game is free, effectively :)

Tanks/Combat used to be the game of choice when I had my Atari 2600. The whole family loved that game, they'd probably go nuts to see it again with tactile controls.

Model 500

godisturbed said:
FROM LATEST NOM:

Yeah Pool was excellent, you should not use dpad to line up the shot though, I think they just didn't realize how to do it with the Wiimote -> just hold a button (B, IIRC) and move the wiimote while the cursor is not pointing at your ball. Very intuitive. Good stuff.

The find a Mii and the Tank games are the only ones I haven't played. Laser Hockey, Table Tennis, Pool and Shooting Gallery are all ace. Oh, and you can definitely hit the ball faster, make spins and move in every direction in Table Tennis, the game is not easy at first, but we soon understood how the game worked. These are definitely much harder to pick up and play than Wii Tennis and Bowling for example, but in a good way. Definitely recommended!

In case someone has missed it, here's me and my friend playing Laser Hockey, the first one has faster action, but the second vid shows off some advanced techniques that even the Nintendo rep didn't know of:

day 1 (action) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6uQ1c0EB4

day 2 (action & technique) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrnAZkwk09Q&mode=related&search=

Model 500

Battersea Power Station said:
How will Table Tennis work for the player on the far side of the table? Do you just move your paddle from side to side or do you actually have to strike it?

You change sides from time to time, if you move the paddle from side to side and it makes a contact with the ball it means "normal shot". You can do different power shots by striking it the way you like it. It's not easy, though, most gamers will probably move only left and right for the first couple of games.

You move the paddle left and right by moving the Wiimote left and right, the power strikes come from pushing the Wiimote forwards at the same time..

Top Bottom