• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Play Preview

ziran

Wii Play Preview from C&VG

Sounds awesome!

Another vote for Billiards, with Tanks being their favourite:
Tanks
Our favourite game of them all. It's top-down, single-screen battle game reminiscent of the tank battles in Combat on the Atari 2600, for those of you old enough to remember that.

You control your little tank by pushing the analogue stick on the Nunchuk in any direction, while aiming your cannon with the Wii Remote's pointer. Shoot cannons with the B trigger or drop a proximity mine that explodes when approached.

You get points for taking out computer-controlled tanks which pack various weapons, from slow and easy-to-avoid cannons to fast and devastating rocket launchers. In two-player, it's a race to destroy the most tanks in each level. Fantastic fun.

Neo Child

Banned
Looks good, I'll be buying it anyway.

Hey UK GAFFERS, if you go to:
http://www.choicesuk.com/Product.aspx/game_home/wii_game_home!826867

Then you can get the game + the Wiimote for the same price as the Wiimote itself.

Model 500

CVG said:
Laser Hockey is straightforward - it's virtual air hockey where you use the Wii Remote's pointer to control your paddle, and hit the puck into the goal on the opposite side. There really is nothing else to it, but again, this is best played in two player.

Underestimaton!

onesvenus

Does it also come with the nunchuck?
I thought it was the wiimote that was included but then, how are we going to play tanks without nunchuck??

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Britprog said:
Good news for UK gaffers, it looks like the retail price for Wii play is £35. Thats a fiver less than normal Wii games.

It means it ends up costing £5 for just Wii Play, cause it cost £30 for an Wiimote.:D

LINK

good news that we're getting it for launch too. I still consider this a spare controller and some fun minigames to play with my son. Worth it for air hocky for a fiver, and that tank game looks fun

Gav

Never knew this came with a free controller, so just went out to preorder it... But they couldnt find it on their system :(

Gonna keep trying, £5 for a load of minigames isnt half bad at all! Pool ftw :)

MrSardonic said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrnAZkwk09Q&mode=related&search=

that's a cool video. Can see the extra depth to Laser Hockey and how tactical and precise it can be when you've got some skills.

Wii Play looks like it's shaping up to be a great collection of games. Hope the sequel is online.
Wow, the backside of the paddle stops the ball. That's awesome and something you CAN'T do on any other Platform (twisting the paddle)!

Are all games 2 Players max? :/

Gav: I'f you're on US and A, then you should know that you won't find the game at launch. only for Europe and Japan atm.

Model 500

:Motorbass said:
Wow, the backside of the paddle stops the ball. That's awesome and something you CAN'T do on any other Platform (twisting the paddle)!

Yep, and it brings a lot to the game. Even moving the paddles feels great once you understand how to do it properly -> precise and considered movements. Most of the people playing did too big movements at first and the remote ended up pointing way off the "play area", so, when they entered the "play area" again from a different point, the paddle naturally jumped there -> confusion. After our first game we had absolutely no problem with that. The twisting of the Wiimote is an excellent touch and you can hide the angle of your shot by making a quick twist at the same time as you hit the ball, it's very difficult but definitely learnable. Combine this with the stopping technique and it's a game that will last for a loong time in two player mode.

Ford Prefect said:
Not being out at NA launch renders this game USELESS

I keep hoping NoA is adding online play and saving this for the inevitable Connect24 "launch". Online Tanks would almost redeem them.

But with their track record lately, not bloody likely.

Stage On

You know I'm honestly thinking of holding out on getting a second controler until Wii play hits north america... Well that is unless some kick ass game comes out sooner then that which is good enough to make me want to bother.

At the moment as I'm working full time to save money to go to collage I'm just not sure it's even worth it to get a second controler at all since me and my friends are so busy we hardly have any time to hang out.

Just the thought of "wow a free game with the controler" is enough to make it alot easier to swallow the cost of picking it up.

step_30_o.jpg

Wii Play needs the nunchuck now?! I'm guessing it's not bundled with one...

edit: never mind, you can use the dpad :)

Thraktor

Graphics Horse said:
step_30_o.jpg

Wii Play needs the nunchuck now?! I'm guessing it's not bundled with one...

edit: never mind, you can use the dpad :)

Just got back from the "Wii move you" event here in Dublin (the first leg of Nintendo's UK & Ireland Wii tour). I was one of the first people in and went straight for the tanks game in Wii Play (in fact, none of the demonstrators seemed to have played Tanks, even the guy who was actually from Nintendo, and as far as I can tell this is it's first appearance, so that must make me one of the first people in the world to play the game :D ).

First off, we didn't have nunchucks set up initially, so had to stick with the d-pads. That didn't work well, as trying to control movement and shooting with the same hand is kind of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time, and just seemed very awkward. Maybe it's something you can get used to, but neither myself or the demonstrator could really get it working straight away.

It worked much better once we got the nunchucks plugged in. The game itself is really simple, just move with the control stick and aim with the remote, then shoot with B or lay a mine with A. The multiplayer works quite well, you're competing to destroy as many tanks as possible over about 10 rounds. You can shoot each other, but if you both die you both get a game over, so you have to be careful not to screw yourself over. There isn't a huge amount to it really, but it's great fun for a minigame, and hopefully Nintendo will flesh it out as a 4-player virtual console game (with online, maybe?) with a bit more depth.

Whenever this comes out, I'm so getting it.

I'm at a point where I'm having more fun buying "fun" games than actually getting to play them. Not enough time...but to have the option to play them is enough for me.

Too much disposable income and not enough time FTW/Loss :lol

- edit -

This is mainly because World of Warcraft has made me it's bitch. But I gotta find something to play when on a flight path.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
maynerd said:
I'm so mad we aren't getting the this in NA at launch. Stupid Nintendo STUPID.

You're getting Excite Truck though. We won't get that until Febuary apparently :(

ziran

More Wii Play screens from C&VG

Nintendo Europe - Press Release
21 November 2006 - Are you ready to play? No matter your gaming experience, Nintendo has just the game for you to play with your friends and family. Wii Play consists of a selection of nine very different mini-games on one game, which are designed to help you master the unique Wii Remote, whilst also providing hours of entertainment. To ensure you can enjoy Wii Play with your friends, the game comes bundled with a free Wii Remote. Wii Play launches on Nintendo’s new Wii console on the 8th December 2006.

Wii Play consists of a variety of quirky games that can be played either alone or with a friend. This includes Shooting Range, which is the first game unlocked and is reminiscent of the classic Duck Hunt (released on the NES). In order to unlock the next game the player simply needs to complete the previous one (this sequence continues throughout). When all of the games have been unlocked players can start earning medals for their performance.

Find Mii involves picking the right face out of a crowd in an environment that constantly changes - it’s a race against the clock and each other! Pose Mii requires players to make their Mii characters fit into the shapes in the Wii bubbles. To do this they must swing the remote to the right angle to make it fit inside. The psychedelic colours and quirky graphics involved in this puzzle make it instantly addictive.

Other games included are Charge, where players have to hold onto a rampaging bull and try not to fall off! Players steer their bull and make it jump by moving the Wii Remote in the right direction, attempting to knock over scarecrows on the way. Tanks, which also makes use of the Nunchuk controller, tests a player’s strategic skills encouraging them to leave trails of mines for other tanks to stumble across.

Wii Play also features faithful recreations of real sport games demanding precision and skill with the Wii Remote. In Table Tennis players hold the Wii Remote like a bat and use it to move their on-screen character’s hand and return balls. In Fishing players cast their line with similar moves as they would in real life and then wait for a bite before jerking the remote back to hook and reel in a fish. As a pub favourite, Billiards will be an instant hit with older Wii owners. In this game, players hold the remote like the back of a snooker cue and use a smooth sliding motion to hit the cue ball. Finally Laser Hockey is a cross between air hockey and ping-pong. Gentle flicks of the wrist are picked-up by the Wii Remote making the pace of the game as relaxed or as frantic as required.

Wii Play takes simple concepts and demonstrates how much fun they can be by using the Wii’s unique control mechanism. The Wii’s unique Mii Channel also allows players to build their own customised avatar that can then star as the central character in Wii Play and other games.

Launching across Europe on 8th December 2006, every copy of Wii Play comes with a Wii Remote, at the estimated retail price of around 49 Euros (£34 in the UK).

Wii launches across Europe on 8th December at the estimated retail price of around €249 (£179 in the UK). Included with every Wii console is one wireless Wii Remote, a Nunchuk, Wii Sports game, Stereo AV Cable and the sensor bar for Wii’s unique control system.

For all of the most up to date official information on Wii, go to www.wii.com.

This thing has must-have written all over it. With a second controller and some awesomely simple games (Tank game for the win) this has become one of my most wanted.

Top Bottom