• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Huh...the only footage I've ever seen of it looked like this:

The announcement trailer had a weird combination of both styles, where they showed some media that was in the yarn outline, more 2D style and then screenshots that had that full 3D, 'cloth' Yoshi. I don't think they had decided upon the art style at that point, or maybe it's a game mechanic they haven't revealed. In any case, we don't really have any idea what the final game is going to be like at this point but we'll probably get more info soon in the "Year of Yoshi".

I really hope Nintendo's big holiday 2014 game isn't Animal Crossing wii u since zelda will most definitely be 2015, the disappointment will be just like 2008 if it is <.<

I think the big Holiday game is Smash. It certainly won't be early in the year. Sakurai just wrote in his Famitsu column that he promises to complete it in 2014. Sounds like Summer at best.

Also with Yoshi, he seems to have some sort of transformation to switch between an outline and a fully knit Yoshi. I'm pretty sure they show it in one of the trailers.

Hyrule Warriors seems to be summer in Japan, with US release date pending localization. They haven't even translated the logo yet apparently.

So, in terms of 3rd parties, should the itsfuckingnothing.gif be posted? Or does some hope still remain amongst WiiU owners?
I think anything rated E for Everyone will see release on Wii U. But not exactly the stuff most people get excited over. Call of Duty will probably continue to come but I don't expect much from the less popular franchises.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm unsure if it's goings to be a retail release, but maybe it can be added anyway: Edge of Eternity by Midgar Studio, slated for release in November.

edgeofeternity_1b7j5b.png

edgeofeternity_2p8jtb.png

Other retail titles are:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 by Activision - Spring 2014
The LEGO Movie Videogame by Warner Bros. - TBA 2014

balohna

Apostrophes in OP images please. "Monolith Softs X" should be "Monolith Soft's X" and I would say similar for "Yoshis Epic Yarn" but I know that is already being corrected to Yarn Yoshi.

Apostrophes in OP images please. "Monolith Softs X" should be "Monolith Soft's X" and I would say similar for "Yoshis Epic Yarn" but I know that is already being corrected to Yarn Yoshi.
He is german if I remember correctly and apostrophes aren't used like that over here. Actually totally wrong.

maxcriden

Game was really fun. I was not able to play a lot because of the amount of people waiting behind me to play. Did get a chance to take a photo with Donkey Kong and my family. :)

Nice! DK was just leaving when we finished playing so no pic...too bad they weren't selling those DK jackets though!

Ansatz

After seeing that GameXplain video, I'm actually hyped for Hyrule Warriors.

The discussion hit one of the two main draws the Musou games have going for them. The second one they didn't tuch upon is where its depth comes from. It's not about the flashy combat system, but rather what's happening in the large scale battlefield. You have to make real time decisions, basically it's about finding the optimal route to keep the troop morale of your faction up; a balance between offense and defense. Advancing on one side of the map while an ambush event triggers on the other can end up punishing you. Will this particular officer manage on his own, is it worth saving him? stuff like that.

However, it's worth noting that the main franchise has been stripped of these strategic elements, hence why I quit playing Dynasty Warriors after 7. The constant item drops did not help either. The musou bar attack is easy to fill up, so you end up spamming what was once used as a life saver. Now it truly has become a mindless hack & slash, hopefully Iwata demanded more from the team.

Effect

Nintendo has so few titles of their own (developed or published) currently slated for 2014 that there is no excuse for them to promote and advertise them all. I really want them to push X as an event.The same with Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Make it appear as these are games all people should be playing or they'll feel left out.

2014 also might be when I track down some older games that came out this year. Ones I took a pass on because they games I played before like Resident Evil and Deus Ex that I didn't want to pay full price for again.

jmizzal

2014 have 5 of my top 6 most wanted WiiU games coming out

Watch_Dogs
Hyrule Warriors
Bayo 2
Smash Bros
X

Thats make 2014 and great year already

Scoops

Banned
2014 is going to be awesome for WiiU. More importantly for the console though, it's going to be a good companion console for those that own PS4/X1. WiiU will probably be very few people's most played console (even if it'll be mine) but it will also be very few people's third most played console. It'll be a 2nd choice for most core gamers especially once it drops more in price.

So far I own:

NintendoLand
New Super Mario Bros. U
Assassin's Creed 3
Resident Evil Revelations
Super Mario 3D World
Mass Effect 3
Madden 13
ZombiU
Call of Duty Blops 2
Call of Duty Ghosts
Nano Assault Neo

2012/13 games I still want to get:

Rayman Legends (waiting for $20 bomba price)
Splinter Cell Blacklist (see above)
Assassin Creed 4 (see above)
Batman Arkham Origins (see above)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (see above)
LEGO Marvel (see above)
Batman Arkham City (already down to $20, got to clear out the backlog more first)
Wind Waker HD (i never buy full price games on my own so I'll get it as a present at one point, never played the GC one)
Pikmin 3 (see above)
Wonderful 101 (I have a gift card for Wal-Mart I'm waiting to use on it the day it goes down to $30 there)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (got to clear the backlog first)
Earthbound (never played it)

2014 games I know I want:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. WiiU
Watch_Dogs (this is one of the few third party titles I was kind of jealous of when it was first announced so I'm very pleased its also coming to WiiU)
X
Bayonetta 2
Project Cars if it's good
Might have mild interest in Hyrule Warriors, too soon to tell
Then of course if CoD/AssCreed/Madden make it to the system.

On top of that I still have a pretty big Wii backlog:

Zelda Twilight Princess (haven't started)
Zelda Skyward Sword (4th dungeon)
Metroid Prime 2 (maybe 5 hours in)
Xenoblade (maybe 50 hours in)
I still have a couple more stars to get in SMG 2 and NSMB

So yeah I'm set with my WiiU for a long time.

Raw64life

Mario Kart 8 is the only game guaranteed to release in 2014 that I'm interested in. I'm not going to get my hopes up about X or even Smash Bros. coming out in 2014 until I hear it announced. Zelda has no chance whatsoever of a 2014 release.

Mario Kart 8 is the only game guaranteed to release in 2014 that I'm interested in. I'm not going to get my hopes up about X or even Smash Bros. coming out in 2014 until I hear it announced. Zelda has no chance whatsoever of a 2014 release.
Probably not Zelda U, but Hyrule Warriors is scheduled for summer 2014.

By the looks of things, even with 3rd party uncertainty, by 1st party games, indies and some 3rd party games that still remain (WatchDogs, Project Cars, Lego Games, Child of Light), 2014 is looking to be a great year for Nintendo fans. I still have to get a lot of games I missed on 2013.

CoD Ghost Miiverse had a lot of new Wii U owners and new CoD Ghost owners, so I hope at least it sold some more. CoD, AC and some of this ports, even with the low sales should be profitable to them in the end.

Well, just wanted to say Happy New Year Wii U GAF!!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I'm all in for Tropical Freeze, Super Smash, MK8, Bayonetta 2, X and Project Cars. I'm most intrigued by what Project Cars does with the gamepad as far as diagnostics, engine settings, etc and whether it will be a rock solid 60fps(especially since it needs to be as a sim racer).

Wii U is reminding me of the Gamecube so far, which is fine by me. Very happy I got it for my kids this Xmas.

Griss

As someone with a PS3 and PS4, all I need from the WiiU is about 6 great first party games a year.

This year appears to be the first that Wii U will deliver, so I've just picked one up. Haven't unboxed it yet, though.

In terms of hype, it's all about X and Bayonetta 2 for me, followed by DK, Smash, MK8 and Yoshi's Yarn.

It's a 3rd party wasteland, and I'm not going to argue that that's acceptable, but for my purposes the year looks pretty damn good. If we get a peek of Zelda at E3 it'll feel even better. (And surely we must get a peek by then)

Mifune

Mehmber
Not much appeals to me aside from DK, Yoshi, and X (if that makes 2014). I still would like to buy a Wii U this year though to catch up on all the Mario goodness.

Lkr

Do the first party games ever go on sale? I want wind waker and pikmin but I don't have enough money :(. This system has about 5 games I NEED to buy right now

Sayah

The recommendations section does not mention Tekken Tag 2 but does mention shoddy third party ports. Thread invalid.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Crazy though it may seem, the WiiU's 2014 lineup is the most interesting to me by a fucking mile. X, Bayonetta 2, DKC, Smash, and Mario Kart 8 all look fantastic. And considering that Ninty doesn't tend to announce games until fairly close to their release, this really could be an amazing year for the system.

I hope.

Some great-looking games, but I hope they drop something unexpected. I just want something to surprise and excite me from Nintendo. And I want Smash Bros. to work online. And a pony.

Yes, this dead system has some killer games coming out for the new year.

I wonder what the hell Miyamoto's game will be and if it will release in 2014.

Glad you made another thread! Don't care what anybody says, looking at that Nintendo lineup this might still be the U's best year. I have super high hopes for X. Also looking forward to a Metroid reveal at E3.

sörine;95379931 said:
Indies is about it at this point. I don't see the big western 3rd parties coming back and for whatever reason Japan never got on board much in the first place.

I bet we still get CoD & the next Assassin's Creed next holiday. Mario Kart, Smash and another price drop (hopefully in time to save Bayonetta 2) will continue to grow the install base.

I still have plenty of games to get as I am always behind on releases and most launch 3rd party games I did not get for my PS3.

I have Wii U/PS3 and 3DS. I wanted a new PC but I think I will wait that further and no plans for a PS4 or XB1 yet.

Pikmin 3
W101
Deus Ex HR DC
AC 4
CoD Ghosts
NFSMWU
Batman AC and AO
Rayman Legends
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Mass Effect 3 (after I beat ME1 and 2 on my PS3)

Might get if I have additional funds Wii Party U, Skylanders and Disney Infinity

Looking forward to 2014
DKCR TF
MK8
SSB
WatchDogs
Bayo 2
X
Zelda Hyrule Warriors
Project Cars

I hope we get some surprises on 2014.

Also some Wii Games: Xenoblade, Last Story, Zelda TP, Zelda Skyward Sword, DKCR, SMG 2, Red Steel 2, Sin & Punishment 2., plus many more!!! NOT ENOUGH TIME!!

Kouriozan

Need a new trailer for X, and also Yarn Yoshi, it almost been one year since the last time we got the reveal trailer.
I bet the game changed a lot.

New a new trailer for X, and also Yoshi Epic Yarn, it almost been one year since the last time we got the reveal trailer.
I bet the game changed a lot.

I think it's going to look way different.

As much as I'd like to see more X and am sure it will be the better game, Yarn Yoshi is a mystery and it's starting to wear on me.

I'm a HUGE fan of Yoshi's Island but everything after it with Yoshi(not looking forward at all to the 3DS one) bums me out and maybe this one will have something.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm a new Wii U owner too so I'll be good for now. Gotta play the 3 games I have, and pick up the few games I don't own yet. Plus I am gonna grab some eshop stuff. That means I'll have more than enough to do till Nintendo drops Kart (I assume Kart hits before Smash).

Tarahiro

Nice thread!

I'm a new Wii U owner (or will be - I ordered one today and it's due to arrive on Thursday!) so I should really play what i've missed before I start buying the 2014 release games but this looks like it is going to be a good year for Wii U games.

Top Bottom