• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Yagami_Sama

Mass Effect 3 is a fine game in its own right and the port was pretty well-done. My only issue with its inclusion is the existence of Mass Effect Collection. We should have gotten a port of that.

So much true.

Mass Effec collection would had made more sense and maybe achieve more success.

Wow, I didn't know Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii U until now. What a weird decision to have only the 3rd game in a series on the console. A collection would've actually made sense.

Kouriozan

Wow, I didn't know Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii U until now. What a weird decision to have only the 3rd game in a series on the console. A collection would've actually made sense.
It was released at near the same time as trilogy on other consoles, talk about sent to die haha >.<

ozfunghi

It was released at near the same time as trilogy on other consoles, talk about sent to die haha >.<

Correction, it was released in the same period, WHILE BEING MORE EXPENSIVE than the trilogy on other platforms!
Now you can get if for cheap though. It's a very decent port and it makes me hope, that Straight Right are doing another quality port, after their work on Deus Ex.

You know, if it was RE6 no one could argue against it but since this is Revelations I'm just gonna go ahead and say you're wrong.

I played and enjoyed RE:R on 3DS... tried the demo on Wii U, and i can't recommend that game on Wii U after having played what appears to be the superior version on 3DS. I don't know who was in charge of that port, or what they were thinking, but they managed to gimp the controls on the Wii U version, compared to the 3DS version using only one analog stick on 3DS.

Wii U gonna have some stellar bargain bin games in 2015 to go along with my Xenoblade 2.

Like holyshit.

LOL

It's funny you think most of the good games on WiiU will be bargain bin price.

Well, only 3rd party games, but sure:

Zombi U

Rayman Legends
Batman AC
Deus Ex (Prices were lower a few months back)
Mass Effect 3
Tekken TT2

Tarr

Banned
LOL

It's funny you think most of the good games on WiiU will be bargain bin price.

So on amazon and ebay I won't find Wind Waker and other games for less then 20 bucks by this time next year? I bet I would be able to snag 4 to 5 top tier Wii U games for less then $100 bucks along with a $199 Wii U me thinks.

jmizzal

I really hope the Toad game doesn't get delayed to Feb 2015 or something like that... But it feels like Nintendo has too many 1st party games announced for the Holiday IMO.

Too many 1st party titles? Huh only thing coming out on WiiU is Hyrule Warriors Sept, Bayo 1+2 Oct, and Smash Bros and Toad in Nov.

How is that too many titles, its less then last year, 2015 has plenty of games scheduled, this year had nothing early until Mario Kart 8 which is why DKCTF got delayed.

last year in NA was Pikmin 3 Aug, TW101 Sept, WWHD Oct, Wii Party U Oct, Mario & Sonic Olympics (published by Nintendo) Nov, Mario 3D World Nov

So on amazon and ebay I won't find Wind Waker and other games for less then 20 bucks by this time next year? I bet I would be able to snag 4 to 5 top tier Wii U games for less then $100 bucks along with a $199 Wii U me thinks.

Nintendo is stubborn as hell about their software. Wind waker is still a million-seller despite the struggling install base. It isn't like Wonderful 101 where the game tanked horribly. If they do give up hope and hold a fire sale it won't be that soon.

tebunker

Banned
Nothing published by Nintendo. Unless the do another greatest hits line but odds are that won't be until 2016

sphagnum

Banned

Nintendo first party titles don't tend to drop in price much for a long time.

Soul_Pie

Yeah, you've got no hope of finding Nintendo games at bargain bin prices, at least the internally developed ones, it just doesn't happen. You should see the ridiculous amounts that Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros DS go for these days. Some games seem to have gone up in value as well.

You're better off just getting a WiiU now on the cheap and getting mario kart and a free downloadable game to begin with and then just be on the lookout for deals and offers along the way.

It's probably the strength of their software that allows them to do this, but I can't help think that in some ways it's a huge barrier for a lot of people, especially those with a family or with little expendable income. Good thing is that they're pretty good in terms of their resale value.

jnWake

I bought Deus Ex today! I have never touched the franchise before but the game seems cool. It was super cheap too haha.

Muzy72

Banned
I HIGHLY doubt Captain Toad will get delayed to 2015. Last year they delayed Donkey Kong because they literally had nothing else in the first half of 2014 aside from Mario Kart in MAY. In 2015 we already have Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon confirmed for the first half of the year, with Mario Party 10, Xenoblade X, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse likely releasing before E3 as well. Plus on the digital side we have Mario Maker and Mario vs DK as well. No need for Captain Toad (or Smash for that matter I know some crazy people are still expecting a Smash delay) to be delayed.

sphagnum

Banned
I can't imagine why they would delay Captain Toad. Essentially all we have left for the year is Hyrule Warriors (September), Bayonetta 2 (October), Sonic Boom (November), Captain Toad and Smash Bros ("Holiday"). That's not a huge lineup since they seem to mostly be focusing on 2015.

So I bought my Wii U, Mario Kart 8, and a pro controller yesterday so I'm all set. :D

However, what more games should I get? Here are my interests and disinterests:

- RPGs are my thing yo.
- Wii U exclusive games
- No Mario games. (Let me finish!) What I mean is, no Mario games like Super Mario 3D World. Play them once and you've played them all pretty much. Except for Mario Galaxy, that game was nice!
- Any game made by Platinum games. It's impossible for them to make a bad game so if they have anything on the Wii U, I'll buy that shit. (Bayonetta 2 hype!)
-Lastly, ZERO interest in any Pikman game. I played Pikman for GameCube once, it bored the crap out of me. :(

Is Moster Hunter 3 ultimate any good? I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice and I heard that game was pretty much like Monster Hunter in terms of gameplay so that would be cool. (Never played a Monster Hunter game)

Draconian

So I bought my Wii U, Mario Kart 8, and a pro controller yesterday so I'm all set. :D

- RPGs are my thing yo.
- Wii U exclusive games
- No Mario games. (Let me finish!) What I mean is, no Mario games like Super Mario 3D World. Play them once and you've played them all pretty much. Except for Mario Galaxy, that game was nice!
- Any game made by Platinum games. It's impossible for them to make a bad game so if they have anything on the Wii U, I'll buy that shit. (Bayonetta 2 hype!)
-Lastly, ZERO interest in any Pikman game. I played Pikman for GameCube once, it bored the crap out of me. :(

Is Moster Hunter 3 ultimate any good? I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice and I heard that game was pretty much like Monster Hunter in terms of gameplay so that would be cool. (Never played a Monster Hunter game)

I would start with The Wonderful 101 and Earthbound off the Virtual Console. Monster Hunter has a rabid fanbase, but it's one of those "not for everybody" kind of games. If you do like it though, there's hundreds of hours worth of content there.

Moofers

Does anyone have the PDP afterglow controller for Wii U? It's a wired pad that's basically a 360 pad with led's in it. I found a bunch for $20 each (Fred Meyer, ymmv) and was thinking about them as a cheaper alternative to the pro controller.

I have afterglows for my 360 and ps3 and I think they work great, but I'm wondering what the limitations are on Wii u. Can I play Wii virtual console games with it? What about U virtual console games? I'd hate to buy it and find out it only works on disc games or something. Anyone know?

I would start with The Wonderful 101 and Earthbound off the Virtual Console. Monster Hunter has a rabid fanbase, but it's one of those "not for everybody" kind of games. If you do like it though, there's hundreds of hours worth of content there.

Ah Wonderful 101, I completely forgot about that. Will definitely give it a buy when I can next month.

Interesting. Anything else? 0_0

Draconian

Ah Wonderful 101, I completely forgot about that. Will definitely give it a buy when I can next month.

Well, what kinds of games do you like to play? There aren't a whole lot of RPGs on the system right now, though that will change with Xenoblade next year. Have you played Wind Waker? If not, I'd say check out the remake for sure if you like Zelda games. If you're into platformers, Donkey Kong, Rayman, and Shovel Knight are all good options. Then there's also the entire Wii back catalog if you haven't experienced it yet.

I'm impatient and the Nintendo Downloads thread isn't answering so I'll ask here.
NSMBU or Pikmin 3 for the MK8 game?

Pikmin 3. I like NSMBU, but I think Pikmin 3 is the best game on the system.

If you like rpgs try golden Sun on eshop the if you havent played it. One of the best rpgs ever made imo. Also if u can find a copy of xenoblade get that as well.

Well, what kinds of games do you like to play? There aren't a whole lot of RPGs on the system right now, though that will change with Xenoblade next year. Have you played Wind Waker? If not, I'd say check out the remake for sure if you like Zelda games. If you're into platformers, Donkey Kong, Rayman, and Shovel Knight are all good options. Then there's also the entire Wii back catalog if you haven't experienced it yet.

Oh I've played Wind Waker and I'm definitely getting it as the free download from the Mario Kart 8 purchase.

As for what kind of games I like, well I'm willing to try ALMOST anything. Just not franchises like Super Mario, Pikman or Donkey Kong. (I like Zelda, Metroid if a new one ever comes out, and Pokemon though).

Hmmm, not very specific...Well...I find it difficult to say what I like besides saying my favorite genre because I like almost any genre. Yet I also dislike some franchises that I've played their games before like Super Mario, Donkey Kong, etc. Yet I still like games like Metroid and Zelda and Pokemon...and I also like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

Overall, I feel like I'm very inconsistent in what my interests are here. My interests and disinterests I posted are the only things that I really know. XD

EDIT: I have a Wii but I only bought like one or two games for it then it just kinda...gathered dust. Since I have a Wii U, what kind of Wii games should I get then based on my little list before? 0_0

sphagnum

Banned

- RPGs are my thing yo.
- Wii U exclusive games

There's not many (any?) RPGs on the Wii U, with Xenoblade being the big one coming but that's not until next year. If you don't want Mario 3D World then I don't know how you'd feel about 2D platformers, which the Wii U has a plethora of. So with that in mind I'd recommend these.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
The Wonderful 101 (Platinum Games)
Zombi U

That covers a couple different genres, with Deus Ex being a western RPG of sorts while Zelda and Monster Hunter probably being the closest things to JRPGs on the console even though they're obviously actually action/adventure games. If you like open world stuff there's Lego, Zombi U for horror, and Wonderful 101 is by Platinum so you'll want that.

edit: Hadn't seen your previous post. There are a TON of Wii games you could get:

Arc Rise Fantasia
Dead Space: Extraction
de Blob
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Endless Ocean
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
The Last Story
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Little King's Story
Lost in Shadow
MadWorld (this is by Platinum)
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Okami
Opoona
Pandora's Tower
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Punch-Out!!
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Rune Factory Frontier
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Spectrobes: Origins
Sonic Colors
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

It's more like GTA but as a good guy.

7fa6b0be9d5614e6e8aa57089f47c718ec462a462188bb1b058a1456cfd02d12.jpg

Go on...

AniHawk

EDIT: I have a Wii but I only bought like one or two games for it then it just kinda...gathered dust. Since I have a Wii U, what kind of Wii games should I get then based on my little list before? 0_0

you missed a ton of great stuff on the wii:

xenoblade chronicles: a magnificent rpg in size and scope and effort. highly recommended to any fan of the genre. remember the majesty of old 3d games, when you could see something off in the distance and the sense of accomplishment of actually arriving there? well this brought that back tenfold. the world is enormous, and fun to explore. that says nothing of the deep customization either.

phantom brave: we meet again: a tentative recommendation since the psp version (the hermuda triangle) is the most complete version of the game, and it's something that's been out on the ps2 for a decade now. still, if strategy rpgs are your bag, give it a shot. it's definitely different from others in the same genre.

fire emblem: radiant dawn: a sequel to the gamecube's path of radiance. if you never played that, you might miss out on some of the impact of the story, but it's not totally necessary to enjoy the game. fire emblem is recommended for anyone looking for a challenge in their rpgs. your character falls in battle, and they're dead for the rest of the game.

there are a couple other rpgs others may recommend that i haven't had too much time with. exclusives are pandora's tower and the last story. i haven't tried pandora's tower yet, but the last story comes from final fantasy/blue dragon/lost odyssey producer hironobu sakaguchi. i haven't gotten too far into it, but i neither love it nor hate it. maybe check out some videos and see what you think. tales of symphonia 2 is also on the platform, but since it's part of the collection on ps3, it's really not super important that you get it here. finally, sakura wars 5 is supposed to be pretty good. it's also out on ps2, but i've never played either version.

outside of rpgs:

madworld: this was platinum's first game. it's a gruesome black and white brawler. you get points for inventive kills in a sort of playground of death. once you hit the target score, you face off in a boss battle. it's a pretty good action game, and one of their overlooked titles (also seek out the rpg infinite space for the ds if you haven't already).

super mario galaxy 2: if you liked super mario galaxy, super mario galaxy 2 is like the first one except better in every way. the level design, the pacing, the power ups- all fucking great compared to the first one.

sin & punishment: star successor: this is a shmup from treasure, and just badass the whole way through. in a year where platinum released two badass action games in bayonetta and vanquish, this was up there with the rest of them for me. i mean just the menu music is fucking rad and the game hasn't even started yet.

the legend of zelda: twilight princess: honestly, this is my favorite zelda game, and kind of a no-brainer as a general recommendation. despite a slow start, this game recovers in fantastic fashion with the best dungeons in the series.

sonic colors: the best and most complete 3d sonic game. while sonic generations has higher highs, it never had the consistency and quality in pacing sonic colors did. sonic colors successfully combines power ups with sonic's speed, and returns some platforming and exploration to a series that had been moving away from that for at least a decade.

metroid prime 3: corruption: while the first metroid prime was boring, and the second one was a mixed bag, metroid prime 3 is a pretty solid affair from start to finish. backtracking in the middle of the game unfortunately brings about a lot of load times, but the combat is quick and the aiming controls contribute to better level design. by far the best in the trilogy.

zack and wiki: a very overlooked character puzzle game from capcom. lots of inventive puzzles regarding the motion controls.

on the wii's vc there are a lot of older rpgs. you unfortunately have to be in wii mode to get them through the wii's vc store though. so that kind of sucks. the wii u has been very slowly getting more. on the wii u's vc, the star rpg right now (and for over a year) has been earthbound.

Nice Wii recommendations. :D Especially Xenoblade Chronicles. Been meaning to get around to getting it eventually. Although I heard the price for it has gone up quite a lot over the years :(.

ozfunghi

I'm impatient and the Nintendo Downloads thread isn't answering so I'll ask here.
NSMBU or Pikmin 3 for the MK8 game?

Hahahahaha

Pikmin 3 obviously.

As for what kind of games I like, well I'm willing to try ALMOST anything. Just not franchises like Super Mario, Pikman or Donkey Kong. (I like Zelda, Metroid if a new one ever comes out, and Pokemon though).

Lastly, ZERO interest in any Pikman game. I played Pikman for GameCube once, it bored the crap out of me. :(

You're in luck! No Pikman to be found on Wii U. However, may i interest you in the best game on the platform? It's called Pikmin 3, it's funny and witty, oozes charm, has crazy good level design, hilarious enemy design, and the mission modes are addictive and brutal. It's a RTS with a twist and by far the best game in the series. If this Pikman game you speak of was boring, i certainly urge you to try the mission modes of Pikmin 3 (i've put close to 70 hours into them alone), since you may feel the story mode is too laid back (even though there was a topic last week about gaffers thinking it was too stressful). At least i hope you don't find this gameplay too boring.

I remember that name. How is it? I haven't played a Lego game since Lego Star Wars episode 3 XD. But I think this one is different from the others or no?

http://www.lego.com/nl-be/city/movies/trailers/lego-city-undercover-trailer

maxcriden

I HIGHLY doubt Captain Toad will get delayed to 2015. Last year they delayed Donkey Kong because they literally had nothing else in the first half of 2014 aside from Mario Kart in MAY. In 2015 we already have Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon confirmed for the first half of the year, with Mario Party 10, Xenoblade X, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse likely releasing before E3 as well. Plus on the digital side we have Mario Maker and Mario vs DK as well. No need for Captain Toad (or Smash for that matter I know some crazy people are still expecting a Smash delay) to be delayed.

I agree with everything else you said, but I am kind of skeptical we'll see Xenoblade X and Kirby by E3 next year. I mean, I'd be delighted if so, but I'm not counting on it. I'll be glad if we really get Yoshi, Splatoon, Mario Maker and Mario vs. DK in the first half of the year as planned.

Hahahahaha

Pikmin 3 obviously.

You're in luck! No Pikman to be found on Wii U. However, may i interest you in the best game on the platform? It's called Pikmin 3, it's funny and witty, oozes charm, has crazy good level design, hilarious enemy design, and the mission modes are addictive and brutal. It's a RTS with a twist and by far the best game in the series. If this Pikman game you speak of was boring, i certainly urge you to try the mission modes of Pikmin 3 (i've put close to 70 hours into them alone), since you may feel the story mode is too laid back (even though there was a topic last week about gaffers thinking it was too stressful). At least i hope you don't find this gameplay too boring.

http://www.lego.com/nl-be/city/movies/trailers/lego-city-undercover-trailer

I'm not saying the game(s) are bad. I mean the game is very well received by critics as it is and most people that have played it enjoyed it like you did obviously, It's just not for me.

The game looks good, the game looks fun, the game does many things right for what it is. But for me, it's not my cup of tea. :(

As for Lego City...hmmm..I think I'll give it a try later next month when I can.

Shizuka

Nice Wii recommendations. :D Especially Xenoblade Chronicles. Been meaning to get around to getting it eventually. Although I heard the price for it has gone up quite a lot over the years :(.

If you don't have an issue with getting used games, you can find them for a reasonable price. I bought it new and sealed myself last week, but I paid the price.

woodland

Need Smash 4, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Splatoon ;(

That pic makes Toad's Treasure Tracker look interesting too, and Toad's dumb as fuck.

Fbh

So I finally got my hands on a Wii remote.

What are some good Wii games for someone who never owned a Wii? I know stuff like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, DKCR, Xenoblade, Metroid and smash are good... anything else that I shouldn't miss?

I've seen Red Steel 2 used for next to nothing in several places. From the vidoes I've seen it actually looks quite fun, is it worth it?

PS: Also, any good sites (with international shipping) to find used copies of xenoblade (NTSC) at a decent price?

What are some good Wii games for someone who never owned a Wii? I know stuff like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, DKCR, Xenoblade, Metroid and smash are good... anything else that I shouldn't miss?

I've seen Red Steel 2 used for next to nothing in several places. From the vidoes I've seen it actually looks quite fun, is it worth it?

PS: Also, any good sites (with international shipping) to find used copies of xenoblade (NTSC) at a decent price?
Red Steel 2 is a pretty solid game so yes. Also check out Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Rhythm Heaven Fever, The Last Story.
If you like lightgun games, there are many solid ports like House of the Dead: Overkill and Ghost Squad.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

Used for next to nothing? Sure, but don't let anyone here convince you it's top shelf in any way.

M_A_C

Looking at a preorder deal, I see what the Wii U has coming up and my wallet is going to cry:

Yoshi's Woolly World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U
Mario Party 10
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Zelda Hyrule Warrior
Bayonetta 2
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Splatoon

ozfunghi

I'm not saying the game(s) are bad. I mean the game is very well received by critics as it is and most people that have played it enjoyed it like you did obviously, It's just not for me.

The game looks good, the game looks fun, the game does many things right for what it is. But for me, it's not my cup of tea. :(

As for Lego City...hmmm..I think I'll give it a try later next month when I can.

Hey man, no problem, i was just yanking your chain because you kept calling it Pikman. However... don't let your impressions of the first two games fool you. The story mode of P3 is much more interesting because you have 3 characters to manage your tasks (and for some tasks you need all three of them at once) so the game is a lot more dynamic. Story mode remains laid back but very slick, but Mission Mode is really hard (or can be if you want to get platinum on each stage). The game is certainly not boring, so if that is your main gripe with the old game(s), i think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Red Steel 2 is a subpar game, that gets way too much praise because it was released on a FPS starved platform. Same goes for the turd that is called the Conduit. Some people actually (think they) liked that shit.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Red Steel 2 is a subpar game, that gets way too much praise because it was released on a FPS starved platform.

Not to just butt in on an argument I have no involvement in, but I'm pretty sure Red Steel 2 is praised for its implementation of first person sword motion controls, which were a first in the industry and still remain rare. That has nothing to do with other aspects of the game, and most reviewers never claimed it was great overall. I don't think being released on a FPS starved console had much to do with how it was reviewed either, it certainly didn't do much for sales.

ozfunghi

Not to just butt in on an argument I have no involvement in, but I'm pretty sure Red Steel 2 is praised for its implementation of first person sword motion controls, which were a first in the industry and still remain rare. That has nothing to do with other aspects of the game, and most reviewers never claimed it was great overall. I don't think being released on a FPS starved console had much to do with how it was reviewed either, it certainly didn't do much for sales.

I'm not talking about reviews or sales, but about the general GAF opinion.

No More Heroes
Sin and Punishment 2

Phil S.

Banned
Does anyone know if Mario and Sonic at Sochi is worth $17 without the Wiimote?

I really enjoyed it. I got the game without the Wii remote (just make sure you do have one with MotionPlus or else it's impossible to play).

A lot of the events are great, unlocking stuff like gear, costumes, and songs is fun because it's done through over 100 achievement-like challenges, and the presentation is top notch.

I wrote a review on my site that I can link to if you want in a PM.

ramparter

Banned

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, but only if you like tactical RPGs. My favourite Wii game after the Galaxys.

Also Wario Ware is fun at least for a while, definetely worth it if you can find it for less than 10-15$.

I know also that people recommend Excite Truck and Excitebots.

I really enjoyed it. I got the game without the Wii remote (just make sure you do have one with MotionPlus or else it's impossible to play).

A lot of the events are great, unlocking stuff like gear, costumes, and songs is fun because it's done through over 100 achievement-like challenges, and the presentation is top notch.

I wrote a review on my site that I can link to if you want in a PM.

Yes, PM please. I didn't know about the unlock system, but that makes it sound good. I have my Zelda Wiimote with plus and an attachment one, so I am set.

I just don't know if it will go cheaper before it isn't stocked. I believe the Wiimote version was on sale for $40 last year.

Top Bottom