• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

TheMoon

It's on the list. Been interested in getting another game that really utilizes the GamePad. I feel like it hasn't happened since ZombiU!

Oh but it has. Just nobody cared because it was another exclusive-turned-last-minute-multiplat + late port + no promo: Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut. It's another brilliant GamePad showpiece.

Oh but it has. Just nobody cared because it was another exclusive-turned-last-minute-multiplat + late port + no promo: Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut. It's another brilliant GamePad showpiece.

You're absolutely right! I should know this. Human Revolution is one of my favourite games on the Wii U. The GamePad use was excellent in that game. I really gotta play through that one again.

jariw

I'm pretty sure that Mario 64 runs at 480p as well. It is HD when you compare it to its original resolution, I guess.

According to a post here, Super Mario 64 renders at 960x720 but with no AA. That's identical to my findings.
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...-wii-u-look-any-better-than-it-did-on-the-wii

I have never played any of the earlier versions of it, but it's pretty apparent that it's higher than 480p if you look at a border that goes almost vertical or horizontal. Those kind of lines get much smaller jaggies compared to games like the Mario Galaxies or Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Of course, the poly count of the models are as low as before.

jmizzal

Do yourselves a favor and get Affordable Space Adventures. It's an amazing little puzzler that feels fresh thanks to the innovative use of the gamepad. It's one of the best examples of how to use Nintendo's new controller to actually develop new gameplay ideas and mechanics while adding to the immersion. The challenge is perfect and it's atmosphere and overall presentation are absolutely wonderful.

How is it for single player?

Josh7289

According to a post here, Super Mario 64 renders at 960x720 but with no AA. That's identical to my findings.
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...-wii-u-look-any-better-than-it-did-on-the-wii

I have never played any of the earlier versions of it, but it's pretty apparent that it's higher than 480p if you look at a border that goes almost vertical or horizontal. Those kind of lines get much smaller jaggies compared to games like the Mario Galaxies or Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Of course, the poly count of the models are as low as before.

Weird that it's not 1440 x 1080 then.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ehy, a new third party game announced for the Wii U!
Activision's Guitar hero live, unlike EA's RockBand, will hit Wii U in Fall 2015.

EA's not making Rock Band 4. Harmonix is doing it independently with MadCatz. Why else do you think it's NOT hitting 360/PS3?

So, EA isn't publishing it at all?

If that's the case, then it's ridiculous that Harmonix and MadCatz aren't working on a Wii U version. My point still stands.

If that's the case, then it's ridiculous that Harmonix and MadCatz aren't working on a Wii U version. My point still stands.
They aren't making PS360 Versions and u think not having a Wii U version is ridiculous? Why exactly? It's the Wii U, everyone should be used to it getting passed up especially by western Devs by now. The surprise is if a game actually gets announced for it.

They aren't making PS360 Versions and u think not having a Wii U version is ridiculous? Why exactly? It's the Wii U, everyone should be used to it getting passed up especially by western Devs by now. The surprise is if a game actually gets announced for it.

It's Rock Band. It's a party game. It actually makes MORE sense on a console like Wii U than PS4 and XB1.

Clearly Activision agrees with me, which is why a Wii U version for the new Guitar Hero game exists.

It's Rock Band. It's a party game. It actually makes MORE sense on a console like Wii U than PS4 and XB1.
It will sell more on those consoles easily. No way it makes more sense on Wii U than PS4 and X1. The casual audience Nintendo cultivated on the Wii is long gone, Wii U is mostly hardcore Nintendo fans. Can't agree at all that it makes more sense on Wii U than PS4 and X1, that's frankly a ridiculous statement.

It will sell more on those consoles easily. No way it makes more sense on Wii U than PS4 and X1. The casual audience Nintendo cultivated on the Wii is long gone, Wii U is mostly hardcore Nintendo fans. Can't agree at all that it makes more sense on Wii U than PS4 and X1, that's frankly a ridiculous statement.

That's fine. We'll agree to disagree.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Harmonix & MadCatz don't have the budget like EA would. That's why they're being really conservative. Based on their response on twitter I think they'd like to make a Wii U version, but they think they'd lose money doing so. Rock Band actually sold less on Wii than PS3/360 (360 for sure at least in the US) because Wii owners mostly bought Guitar Hero instead. Now that Guitar Hero is coming to Wii U, I think that just reinforces the idea that RB might not be able to compete with GH for the smaller userbase.

Harmonix & MadCatz don't have the budget like EA would. That's why they're being really conservative. Based on their response on twitter I think they'd like to make a Wii U version, but they think they'd lose money doing so. Rock Band actually sold less on Wii than PS3/360 (360 for sure at least in the US) because Wii owners mostly bought Guitar Hero instead. Now that Guitar Hero is coming to Wii U, I think that just reinforces the idea that RB might not be able to compete with GH for the smaller userbase.

Hmmm...well, this is interesting and makes their decision to skip Wii U make a bit more sense. Thanks for the information.

digdug2k

Definitely get it. Really great game.
How long is it?

Length and physical distribution are the main differences between indie and AAA games for me sometimes. I wish Nintendo would just print a bunch of this stuff on disk to help "prop up" their library.

prag16

Banned
I hope you are right but I'm still very doubtful.
from Acti, I'm intetested potentially specifically for Wii u about Skylander and Cod. hope they'll come

Sure, still not really expecting it. But on the "slim to none" spectrum we may have moved slightly closer to "slim" with this.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Sure, still not really expecting it. But on the "slim to none" spectrum we may have moved slightly closer to "slim" with this.

We're talking about CoD and not Skylanders right? Then yes, I agree

So right now our expected retail Wii U release schedule for 2015 is something like?

Captain Toad (EU, 2014 for others)
Kirby: Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario v. DK (JP)
Splatoon
Yoshi Wooly World
Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X (at least for JP)
Star Fox Wii U
Devil's Third?
Fatal Frame V (EU/US, 2014 for JP)

Rodea Sky Soldier
Lego Dimensions
Guitar Hero Live
Disney Infinity 3.0
Lego Jurassic World
Lego Marvel's Avengers
Project Cars
(probably Just Dance & Skylanders)

Anything I'm missing?

So, I just got back from travelling in Asia for almost nine months. These were waiting for me when I got home. I think I've got some good gaming ahead!

o0z5MBT.jpg

jmizzal

We're talking about CoD and not Skylanders right? Then yes, I agree

So right now our expected retail Wii U release schedule for 2015 is something like?

Captain Toad (EU, 2014 for others)
Kirby: Rainbow Curse
Mario Party 10
Mario v. DK (JP)
Splatoon
Yoshi Wooly World
Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X (at least for JP)
Star Fox Wii U
Devil's Third?
Fatal Frame V (EU/US, 2014 for JP)

Rodea Sky Soldier
Lego Dimensions
Guitar Hero Live
Disney Infinity 3.0
Lego Jurassic World
Lego Marvel's Avengers
Project Cars
(probably Just Dance & Skylanders)

Anything I'm missing?

legend of kay

jariw

How long is it?

Length and physical distribution are the main differences between indie and AAA games for me sometimes. I wish Nintendo would just print a bunch of this stuff on disk to help "prop up" their library.

The developers of Affordable Space Adventures have said that they plan a future retail release, if the game becomes a success.

But (if the Teslagrad retail release is anything to go by) you could expect 2 things from a retail release:
1. It'll cost more than the eShop version.
2. The developers of the game will get less from the sold copy, despite #1.

phanphare

Banned
Rayman and? I have all of those except Hyrule Warriors and Toad, and I might get Hyryle Warriors at some point. The rest are good to great, and the biggest disappointment was Rayman.

rayman and watch_dogs most likely

there's no need to subject yourself to a mediocre platformer when you've got a Wii U ;p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Both Rayman and AC IV are decent games. Rayman online challenges were really fun. And pirates are always cool. :p

I don't know about Watch_Dogs on Wii U, but the PC game didn't last me more than a week before being bored to death.

69wpm

Rayman and? I have all of those except Hyrule Warriors and Toad, and I might get Hyryle Warriors at some point. The rest are good to great, and the biggest disappointment was Rayman.

Watch_Dogs runs like a dog on one foot. Stopped playing it, tried again yesterday, lasted 10 minutes. Never again. It was probably worse that I played MK8 before. The damn game looked like a slideshow to me.

SuomiDude

Watch_Dogs runs like a dog on one foot. Stopped playing it, tried again yesterday, lasted 10 minutes. Never again. It was probably worse that I played MK8 before. The damn game looked like a slideshow to me.
Weird, I've been playing Watch Dogs for about 10 hours now and I haven't noticed any slowdown, actually I was surprised that it runs so smoohtly. Ok, I'm one of those pople who can't really notice too much difference between 30 and 60 fps (I can see when there's two gifs side by side, but not really when playing games), so maybe I'm not so easily bothered by lower framerate, but I can see that WD runs tons better than both Batmans on Wii U for example.

69wpm

Weird, I've been playing Watch Dogs for about 10 hours now and I haven't noticed any slowdown, actually I was surprised that it runs so smoohtly. Ok, I'm one of those pople who can't really notice too much difference between 30 and 60 fps (I can see when there's two gifs side by side, but not really when playing games), so maybe I'm not so easily bothered by lower framerate, but I can see that WD runs tons better than both Batmans on Wii U for example.

Running around: 20-25 fps
Heavy shootings: 14-20 fps

No idea about the Batman games, never played them. But WD is unplayable for me. If you have no problems, you should keep going. The game itself is pretty interesting.

SuomiDude

Running around: 20-25 fps
Heavy shootings: 14-20 fps

No idea about the Batman games, never played them. But WD is unplayable for me. If you have no problems, you should keep going. The game itself is pretty interesting.
My first GTA-style game since GTA2 (played GTA3 and VC as well, but not that much). And I really like the hacking stuff in the game, the story has been good enough so far, so yeah, I've been enjoying the game quite a bit, although it's not one of those games that I MUST play every day to see more.

Akai

Nintendo naming strikes again. It will be kind of sad if Xenoblade suffers on Wii U because people think they already played it on 3DS.

It'd be more sad if people can't do 15 seconds of research and see just from the box art alone that the games are different. People spend enough time on the internet as it is these days that it's no longer an excuse...

TheMoon

Nintendo naming strikes again. It will be kind of sad if Xenoblade suffers on Wii U because people think they already played it on 3DS.

This really is user error more than anything. It's quite obvious if you think more than two seconds about it that "[game name] 3D" and "[game name] X" are not the same game. Or did people think Mortal Kombat X is the same game they released in 2011?

so maybe I'm not so easily bothered by lower framerate, but I can see that WD runs tons better than both Batmans on Wii U for example.

Huh?? Arkham City ran perfectly fine and what little I've played of Origins has been the same, iirc.

SuomiDude

Huh?? Arkham City ran perfectly fine and what little I've played of Origins has been the same, iirc.
Origins especially has awful framerate drops, so bad that sometimes it affects the gameplay (and sometimes there's seconds long pauses). City was pretty good for the most part, but flying around the city makes it stagger quite a bit. And both games when fighting a big group of enemies slows thing down (and I'm not talking about the big combo stuff that slows everything down). These are all disk versions, so it shouldn't be HDD related.

Top Bottom