• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U One Year Later: OS, Games, Network, Virtual Console, etc

I like it a lot, I play it more than any other system right now and there are a ton of games out for it now.

Coach, didn't you recently trade your Wii U back in? Did you just rebuy it again yesterday?

Yeah. The bundle was too appealing and I knew I had to play SM3DW when they posted that 6 minute video a few weeks ago.

kunonabi

The N64's first full year was actually quite amazing. Mario 64, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Wave Race, Goldeneye, Turok, Blast Corps, Star Fox and ISS64 were all released in its first full year. At least in terms of exclusives I think few consoles stack up to the N64's first year, so it's not surprising that the Wii U doesn't stand up to it.

i wouldn't call the wii u first year worse though.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D World
Game & Wario
Nintendoland
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Lego City Undercover
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Zombi U
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games 2014
Sonic Lost World

That's pretty damn beefy and covers several different audiences and genres.

At the very least it's on par.

The VC is a complete f'n joke though. It's hopelessly behind the Wii VC and the only new titles are Golf and Earthbound.

PSGames

Don't forget Wii Fit U. Not really a game but I'm enjoying it immensely :)

For me I wish they would bring more media apps to the ecosystem (HBO Go anyone?). And TVii is treated like a forgotten side project. We don't even have DVR controls yet a year after a launch!

Other than some ecosystem concerns I'm happy with the system. I'm glad they went the Gamepad route. We just need more Nintendo AAA Classics (like the N64 had) to complete the package.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
strange, most people were satisfied with the speed after the summer/fall update, though a few said it could still be just a bit faster but it was still pretty good.

I think the Wii U line up is pretty good. I'm certainly tempted, but due to my lounge setup, we can't have a camera / sensor under the TV (TV wall mounted, consoles over the other side of the room). Shame, probably pick up a 3DS to get my Nintendo fix.

zoukka

Hopefully they learn something from this gigantic fuckup. Somehow they have actually worsen the VC from wii.

Riposte

VC service is in such a state that this point they would be better off just selling them through a PS+ like subscription service.

I quite like the Wii U though. It has several of my favorite games this year (more or less exclusively) and I have high hopes 3D World will tip the scale further. The library in the future also looks promising.

Really annoyed with WiiU VC. Don't get it, as Wii VC library was great - NES, SNES, Mega Drive, N64 + almost all the great Square SNES games were there (Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, FFVI) + some really hard to find games like Ogre.

It makes no sense either. It would be a cheap and fast way for Nintendo to get loads of content available. Sure it would compete somewhat with new games, but better competing with yourself than with the competition for customer spending.

Especially with the retro revival that's going on, it would give Wii U a great competitive edge and an advertising hook. I'm sure SMB3, Zelda: ALTTP, Mega Man 2 and Sonic 2 in an advertisement would still make some people buy a Wii U, especially as these can't be bought on smartphone, tablet or PC. For me the Wii VC was the only reason the Wii was still connected for the past 2-3 years.

On screen playing for VC titles would be fantsastic.

My co-worker asked me in seriousness last week, "Oh, are they still making games for the Wii U?"

Nintendo's biggest problem is still that nobody knows about it and doesn't care about it.

Zalman

I love my Wii U and I have no shortage of games to play anymore. Never cared too much about the lack of an account system because I never buy things digitally.

Pjsprojects

Owned since Feb,

Like the os.
Wouldn't touch eshop with a barge pole.
Some games good others no dlc

System does not get much use, no GTA, no BF4

Even cod ghosts is a dodgy purchase because it might not get support or dlc like the Blops2 I purchased....

Overall not worth three hundred and fifty quid.

Original software is starting to get there, and it has done pretty great exclusives. ZombiU,The Wonderful 101 and Nintendo Land are wholly unique experiences to the platform--all are excellent.

eShop is starting to get much better. Toki Tori 2 is absolutely, face-meltingly ingenious. Runner 2 is great. Mutant Mudds Deluxe and Mighty Switch Force HD are both fantastic as well. Can't wait for Toki Tori HD, Edge and RUSH. Paper Monsters Recut looks great. The 90's Arcade Racer gives me a massive nostalgia boner. Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails looks like one of the most unique SHMUP/Platformers ever, and I'm really excited about Shovel Knight, Unepic, A Hat in Time, Fast Neo, Oliver and Spike and the future of indie support on the platform.

Virtual Console support? It's awful. Earthbound was a nice addition but it isnt enough. Needs more games. Needs more supported consoles.

Overall, I'm pretty darn pleased. The hardware is fine, and Miiverse is amazing.

Dantis

It's still by far the worst system I've owned. I've played most of the exclusives and none of them have done anything much for me.

But outside of my own feelings, I think there is a lack of appealing games for western audiences. A lot of the games still have that Nintendo style to them and they could do with releasing something that doesn't.

The OS as it stands now is where I would have liked it to be at launch.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
No GBA on either console is the most embarrassing thing ever. The 3DS came out two years ago and all we have are the ten emulated Ambassador games.

oatmeal

Banned
Yeah. The bundle was too appealing and I knew I had to play SM3DW when they posted that 6 minute video a few weeks ago.

Ah, gotcha...

When you traded it in (which I remember from the podcast as not being TOO long ago...or maybe it was before the break you took before the N64 episode), was it that much slower?

BaBaRaRa

Miiverse has blossomed over the last 12 months. The promise of custom communities (a la wii fit u) shows there's a lot more potential for the future.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
System is in a great spot now. Not as great as it could be. But it's water under the bridge. Ok off to play Lego Marvel.

I managed to snag the WiiU for just above $100 back in march. Aside from the rare play for Lego Undercover (the load times were horrendous) It really didn't get much play time and still doesn't. The OS for me is still too slow and the updates that do come out don't seem to add much outside of just playing games that my other consoles and PC can't do better. The eShop has always been a back burned half baked idea in my eyes, even going back to the DS/3DS. Just never liked how the games were tied to the device and not your account.

Some of the games on the horizon have piqued my interest (Mario 3D world and Sonic) but with the next gen consoles about to launch I can't see myself dedicating any real time to the console. Perhaps once the next gen launch hype window ends in a month or 2 I'll find some time to pick up a few new games and give it another go, but right now it's not likely.

oatmeal

Banned
Also, the GameCube year 1 library was something else...

Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
Super Monkey Ball 1
Super Monkey Ball 2
Pikmin
SSBM
Wave Race: BS
REmake
Resident Evil Zero
Eternal Darkness
Luigi's Mansion
Billy Hatcher
Lost Kingdoms
Mario Party 4
NBA Courtside
Sega Soccer Slam
Star Fox Adventures
Beach Spikers

Insane.

Miiverse is amazing, and the eshop store front is way better than XBL and PSN, im glad they sped up the OS but theres a ton more they can improve on. Overall im happy with it.

Wiz

Not sure if this is a topic for another thread, but OP I would like to hear more details on moving your NNID. I don't plan to buy a new Wii U anytime this year or next but there is a possibility I might one day. I have lots of digital stuff too.

Raide

They should have launched the 2DS instead and saved the Wii-U and their titles up to go head-to-head with MS and Sony. Thunderdome style.

Seik

Banned
People can say what they want, but personally I never bought so many games for a console during it's first year of existence.

GsDZJFi.jpg

I have 5 more on their way, ZombiU, AC3, Batman AC, Injustice and Ducktales.

Virtual console is a let down so far though, they really need to release more games, faster. Well at least they made Earthbound possible. Account system still badly needs to exist, the OS itself is way faster than before, waaaay faster.

VC is terrible, the OS could be faster, and an unified account would gladly be welcomed. All-in-all outside of sales it's ok, finally starting to build a library.

Dicer

Banned
I cant redownload/repurchase Nano assault on my second Wii u, because it says it's already purchased, so yeah that's annoying...

Zalman

People can say what they want, but personally I never bought so many games for a console during it's first year of existence.
I could honestly take a picture of my collection and say the same thing. Currently have 10 games for it, which is really good in a year in my opinion.

Also, the GameCube year 1 library was something else...
Super Monkey Ball 1
Super Monkey Ball 2
It feels really strange owning a Nintendo console without a Super Monkey Ball game at or near launch. An HD Monkey Ball, in the same vein as 1 and 2 would be amazing.

They could have original mode, using the analog sticks and a more over-head Kororinpa mode using tilt controls.

oatmeal

Banned
It feels really strange owning a Nintendo console without a Super Monkey Ball game at or near launch. An HD Monkey Ball, in the same vein as 1 and 2 would be amazing.

They could have original mode, using the analog sticks and a more over-head Kororinpa mode using tilt controls.
Agreed.

Having a top down view on the controller would have been great.

Optional gyro controls, too.

d1rtn4p

Turning out to be the best console I've ever owned, and I've owned them all. Finished Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 thus far, and they were both divine experiences. On virtual console, I've played through Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, and Mega Man X, all the first time, and they were also totally amazing. It's funny that I had a SNES at launch, but ended up missing those three somehow. And I'm not sure what the slow O/S complaints are about, seems snappier than both ps3 and xb360 to me.

By the end of the year I feel like I could definitely recommend a purchase. First few months were the pits but the library has been getting stronger ever since.

syoaran

I just picked one up and it's easily one of my favorite system OS's. The plaza is a really nice opening feature and something I feel gives the system life on boot.

Games is definitely a meh. I wanted to get Zelda and Wii Fit U, I'm going to pick up P3 and W101 and maybe double dip on Monhun - but after that there's very little out there that interests me. Next year isn't exactly exciting me either, with X being the only game I feel will be a must have.

CrisKre

Its a great system at this point in is life. I say that while playing super castlevania 4 from my bed off tv play.

Miiverse is genuinely interesting, keeping ne engaged a year after release.

Wii fit u as well is truly fantastic, being now possible to have it Pre installed and to use it off tv. Very practical and seamless.

My hopes for 2014:

-better VC support

-complete Hudson liberation from Konami. With the announcement of a new Bomberman, Kororinpa, Adventure Island and Star Soldier. Just assimilate Hudson into ND Cube and have them work on the IPs.

Yes Boss!

Love my Wii U. So many great games for the first year. Gonna be capped with Mario this month! Still need to pick up 101 and Wii U Party.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't have a lot of faith in the future of the system, but it's kinda the same situation I felt like the Vita was in when I bought one last year: I feel like the WiiU has enough good stuff on it right now, and coming out in the next few months that even if that was all the system ever got, I wouldn't feel ripped off.

I'm planning to get one in the next few weeks, along with like 7 games, so frankly, I can't complain about where the system is at this point.

Dukey

Banned
I cant redownload/repurchase Nano assault on my second Wii u, because it says it's already purchased, so yeah that's annoying...

Yep, that's Nintendo. Inept account systems are their thing. I feel bad for Indie developers, because I'll never buy their games as long as they're exclusive to a Nintendo device.

spliced

OS: Some of it is still slow but the vast majority of the time you use Miiverse, Internet, eShop or play a game and all those things are reasonably fast.

Nintendo Network ID: Having the account tied to hardware is bogus and Nintendo deserve to be called out on it.

Lack of Games: Was a major problem until about Pikmin 3. Now It's fine, I think people make a bigger deal about this than it really is. Most people have other systems to play games on and only limited time to play games anyway. There could be piles of games coming out for Wii U and most people wouldn't play much or any more than they already do.

Virtual Console: It's been pretty bad, I don't know what they're thinking.

Poor Messaging: I think they started off on the wrong foot by having both the name of the console and the look of it be so similar to it's predecessor, at least one of those things should have been significantly different. You don't need the Wii name when you already have the Nintendo name. Anyway I don't think they have done much in this area.

I'm happy with it but that's mostly because it has the types of games I like.

OS - It's better but I don't really care
Games - Fucking shit support from Nintendo with just Pikmin 3 being released that's actually worth owning AND new (Wind Waker is great obv.). Wario mini-game collection? No.
VC - Shit. Embarrassing. Laughable. Where is N64 or GC support? Even Super Nintendo support is crap. At least most EU games have been 60hz though (except Super Metroid annoyingly) but where the fuck are the games?

For me, a shit year for Wii U, it's the worst console I have ever owned and the only one I have totally regretted. One game bought on disc (Pikmin) and one VC (F-Zero). I wanted to love W101 but I couldn't stand the controls, far too fussy for their own good. Mario 3D World will be awesome I am sure. I really do wonder what on Earth is going on at Nintendo HQ.

Bought it impulse at $200 clearance months ago. Still regret it. Though Mario 3d world looks phenomenal.

Only keeper is Mario U. The VC store is lacking!!! I want to spend money on Snes and N64 classics but nothing is there.

Spending 90% of time on it playing Wii classics like Mario galaxy 2 and the old VC purchases over hdmi. Count me in as unhappy.

VanWinkle

Wii U has had a rough first year. For all intents and purposes, it could be called a horrible console. But there's just something I like about it. I like the Gamepad, I like the hardware capabilities (though I'd love it to be better), and I like the design. It has so much potential. There's just some things that are so big a deal that it doesn't have, and I don't know how it can be a big console until that time comes. This is not a Wii. This system does not have "non-gamer" appeal to it. It's a gamer's game console. And as a gamer's console, it fails. No proper account system, no cross game chat, text chat, or voice messages, it doesn't come with a headset, Nintendo's own games have little to no online multiplayer, despite having many games SUPPORT local multiplayer, VC is an absolute joke, etc.

It just fails in so many areas that I could not, in good mind, recommend it to anybody. I like the thing, I really do, and anybody that knows me knows I like my Wii U. It is just a failure as a gamer's console. The only thing it succeeds in is being a place for diehard to Nintendo fans to play HD Nintendo games. That's not enough for me, but I see it's potential, and I enjoy Nintendo games, and I just HOPE that it's future becomes brighter.

TLDR: One year later, are you happy with the Wii U?

In a world where online gaming has been mainstream and EXPLOSIVE for consoles since 2004, Nintendo has yet to impress me with anything.

I'll be satisfied with Nintendo's performance when they give a crap about online connectivity. Not everyone has the luxury to play Mario games with friends sitting right next to them.. So I don't even bother buying those games for $60 because what's the point of getting them at launch when the experience will be the same exact thing if I waited to get it cheaper?

oatmeal

Banned
My physical disks:

NintendoLand
New Super Mario Land

My Digital:

NSLU
Resident Evil Revelations
Pikmin 3
Zelda: TWW
Madden 13
Lego City Underground
Wii Fit U
ZombiU

And a fuckload of eShop and VC releases.

We need folders.

SIDE NOTE: I bought NSLU, but i want to replace my physical NSMBU with a digital. Will there be any complications?

Darryl

Banned
I like how it has a little bit of everything. It's like a GameCube and a Wii duct taped together. I do wish they had a more complete eShop library. I like taking the controller into my room and messing around on it when I'm trying to wind down to bed but it's too inconvenient to disk swap and I'm not one to purchase full retail $60 games at digital. I got Art Academy and Earthbound on the shop so far, those are good. Need maybe some more VC games or indie games like Shovel Knight to come out already. Stuff like Minecraft or Terraria would be good as well.

Top Bottom