• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U One Year Later: OS, Games, Network, Virtual Console, etc

Kolgar

I've been a mild evangelist for the console since I brought home a Zombi U bundle last summer. I continue to hope that the system finds success. However, I am disappointed in Nintendo's handling of the system, particularly the OS and its "efforts" at marketing.

Just this evening, I've been battling with a Wii U that would not boot up, preferring instead to hang at a screen that says, "Preparing..." This after downloading and installing Wii Fit U last night--which turned out to be an arduously long process for a file of its size.

Turns out the data may have gotten screwed up as it installed to the USB thumb drive I have plugged in. (Why it goes to the USB drive instead of internal memory, I don't know.) At least I got the thing to boot now, but I still find the OS to be horribly slow and a big turn-off--I can only imagine what more casual customers would think.

Meanwhile, the Wii U's mindshare continues to be painfully low, with most people continuing to think the Wii U is a Gamepad accessory to the original Wii U. (That's if they bother to think of the Wii U at all.)

So, a year and a half in, the console still feels half-baked and half-finished, and I'm afraid my interest in it is flagging as a result.

Nintendo, get it together or get out of home hardware, please. Thank you very much!

While the OS speed is OK for actually playing games they should really work on making Miiverse load a lot quicker. Currently it's just too slow to load each time and I find myself using it less as a result.

Raw64life

Bought the Wii U Mario bundle on Friday and thoroughly enjoying it so far. Looks like the decision to wait a year was a good one. No issues with the OS from me although it sounds like it was a nightmare a year ago. And I was just reading that up until a few months ago you couldn't play NSMBU with the pro controller. I would've been pissed at the time. I like the gamepad but the pro controller is perfect for it.

Top Bottom