• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

SykoTech

It would most likely not be a Day 1 purchase. Pretty disappointed with the Wii U as it is. It would have to launch with an incredible Metroid game, a Paper Mario game that doesn't suck, or a Smash Bros game that's actually good again to get me to jump in from the start. In other words...not a chance in hell.

It would be an eventual purchase for sure though. Haven't skipped a Nintendo console entirely yet, no matter how much of a letdown. That will probably continue.

Hiltz

General list of what Nintendo devs and some of its dev partners have released or preparing to release:

Monolith Soft - Finishing up Xenoblade X for Japan release, localization underway
Retro Studios - Assumed to be working on a Wii U title, development began in late 2014
EAD group # 1 - Released Mario Kart 8 last year
EAD group # 2 - Finishing development on Splatoon
EAD group # 3- Working on Zelda Wii U , project delayed
EAD group # 4 - Finishing development on Mario Maker
EAD group # 5 - Star Fox, co-development with unspecified outside developer
SPG # 5 - Released Steel Diver: Sub Wars last year (co-developed)
EAD Tokyo group # 1 + Grezzo - Released Majora's Mask 3D (co-developed)
EAD Tokyo group # 2 - Released Captain Toad last year, currently developing new Super Mario title ... apparently not for Wii U according to Miyamoto
Intelligent Systems - Released Code name Steam, finishing new Fire Emblem 3DS summer release in Japan, apparently co-developing Fire Emblem X SMT with Atlus
ND Cube - Just finished Mario Party 10
Good-Feel - Finishing up development on Yoshi's Wooly World
Camelot - Released Mario Golf: World Tour last year
Hal Lab - Released Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Triple Deluxe last year
NST - Released Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars this year
1-Up Studios ( originally Brownie Brown) - Co-developed Mario 3D World & Capt Toad
Game Freak - Released Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire remakes last year
Monster Games - Finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3D port
Next Level Games - Apparently working on a Wii U title
Arzest - Released New Yoshi's Island last year
Alpha Dream - Released Mario & Luigi: Dream Team in 2013
Bandai Namco - Unconfirmed, but may do console port of Pokken Tournament Wii U, released Super Smash Bros last year
Masahiro Sakurai (freelance director)- Released Super Smash Bros last year
Genius Sonority - Released Pokemon Shuffle this year
Koie Tecmo - Released Hyrule Warriors & Fatal Frame 5 (Jpn only) last year
Valhalla Games - finishing development on Devil's Third

Trago

That will never happen. It has nothing to do with install base (Wii) or specs (Gamecube), it all depends on maintaining a certain level of control that the 3rd party publishers have over the platform.

And on the Sony and Microsoft platforms they have all the control they will ever need. The sales of those platforms reinforce that control and as a result is the sole reason why they will never support Nintendo because it is not in their best interest to do so.

If this were true then why are some of the best games on the 3DS from third parties?

Saying they will never come back doesn't make much sence since we know nothing about the NX. I think we should wait and see what the platform is before jumping to conclusions about its third party output.

taa0098

Neo Member
Hypothetically if this happened, I can't say I'd be too happy. I saved up money to buy my wii U less than half a year ago, for bayo 2 and everything else. If I already had to buy a new one, I'd definitely wait a couple years. Or at least a year. At least we have xenoblade x...

MilesTeg

Banned
Consider that the n3DS was just released and that the hardware and software sales of the 3DS decimate the Wii U. I don't think it is out of the question that both the nx console and nx hand held launch together, or even that the nx console launches first if Nintendo were acting on salvaging a lost platform.

The 3DS also presumably has more Pokemon on the way, along with likely Yokai Watch 3. And Fire Emblem as well. Plus whatever Nintendo reveals at E3 for release this year.

Releasing the console first also gives Nintendo that much more time to get a better price/power on their handheld hardware to possibly scale easier with the console or drive down cost etc.

If this were true then why are some of the best games on the 3DS from third parties?

Saying they will never come back doesn't make much since we know nothing about the NX. I think we should wait and see what the platform is before jumping to conclusions about its third party output.

Desperation and necessity.

Retail prices of those games will never exist on mobile, so the 3DS and the Vita to a lesser extent fills that niche. The 3DS also has an install base that has been conditioned to buying those games because of the platform holders own 1st party offerings. They compliment each other perfectly.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
EAD CDG (Miyamoto's group) - Star Fox Wii U development initially started, but outsourced to unannounced third party developer as of last year, finishing development

Careful there! The game is actually in development by EAD Group No. 5. It was not outsourced to a third party developer last year, Miyamoto merely mentioned the fact that they were looking to hire "outside studios" (he actually used plural) to help finish the game.

JDizzv

I don't currently have a Wii U (plan to soon however), so my input isn't really what OP is looking for BUT...

If I did I'd follow the same strategy I now follow with all Nintendo consoles: wait for a price drop (or two) and several years of releases.

Thing is I only play Nintendo consoles for Nintendo first party games, they're simply the best of what the art has to offer. However whats been clear since being an early Wii adopter is that Nintendo staggers their 1st party releases. As we all know, one year we may get a Mario, the next maybe a MK and Smash Bros., and the next after that an original Zelda. This pattern has held true for the most part which results in me having a console that just gathers dust for maybe half of the year while I wait for the next big release. For that reason I find it hard to invest in their consoles from the get go, when I can just wait for the catalogue of great 1st party games to build up, hardware/software kinks to be worked out, and prices to drop a little.

Yea that means I'll be stuck yearning and watching Let's Play's for some releases but the lack of support and use I get out of Nintendo systems outside of several main franchises really makes it hard to put my money down so fast. It's the reason why I don't have a Wii U yet, it simply isn't worth the price yet so I'll hope for a price drop come E3. This isn't to mention all the other things (like the account system and online functionality) that make me hesitant about the console.

Now if this next console drops and they can convince me things will be different as far as 3rd Party support and other issues, then I will definitely rethink the value proposition of a Nintendo console. Until then, I'll play the waiting game with all future consoles.

Nope. Not until something has been released then I can think on it.

What games will be out for it at launch? I only buy consoles when there is sufficient worth to buying the console in the form of games.

I hope they release a new console in 2016. I worry about backwards compatibility though. The pad is the reason I didn't buy a Wii u yet. But I want to play it's games!

Xun

Nope. Not until something has been released then I can think on it.

What games will be out for it at launch? I only buy consoles when there is sufficient worth to buying the console in the form of games.
Superior version of Zelda "Wii U" most likely.

etrain911

I bought mine in November, so that would be really disappointing for me. I'd have to see the design philosophy behind it and healthier sales of it to make sure it's got longer legs than my Wii U before I decide that it's something worth buying.

Vuapol

I bought mine in December, so no. Took me two years to pull the trigger on the Wii U, and that was solely because of Smash Bros. Now that I have one, I plan on enjoying everything the console has to offer before I move on, so it's going to be a while.

No. I won't have had time to finish enjoying the Wii U library by then. Give it another year and a proper launch with first- and third party games.

Nope. Nintendo waited too long. They should have released a new system in early 2014 and apologized and refunded Wii U owners.

Yeah, Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot.

Acerac

Banned
Oh god no. They're still actively releasing content for the games I purchased my Wii U for, I can wait a while for my next Mario Kart/Smash fix.

Ryan_MSF

Just got a Wii-U at christmas. After finishing Zelda and Bayonetta i'm looking at it gathering dust. The fact Zelda's just been delayed till 2016 probably means outside of Starfox i won't see any use out of the thing at all for the remainder of the year.

If they release a console that rivals/surpasses the PS4/Xbox One in terms of raw power then i'll think about it. Release another underpowered console at a premium price and I think as much as I love nintendo the exclusives are no longer enough to justify me purchasing their home consoles.

Sweet Ivy

I wouldn't.

I bought a Wii U last Christmas, but hardly played it.
Nintendo exclusives, I found out, aren't really my cup of tea, add to this thati I find it to be outdated hardware, obsolete policies and general personal dislike of the interface and pad and yep, not really interested in another Nintendo console too soon.

Vexidus

Like the last few Nintendo consoles, I'll pick it up two to three years later and scoop up all of the heavy-hitter first party titles at once.

Platy

Chances of Nintendo releasing a new console next year is almost zero ... but I would do like I do with all consoles I buy : Wait till it has at least a few games that I like.

Or when they show actual footage of the next smash bros xD

It worrisome to see so many people just blinding support Nintendo pulling a Sega Saturn so early in the gen.

That kool aid is strong.

o_O.

Yeah release a WiiU next with remasters of the old games. Cause thats what we need along with sony and MS doing it too.

Dont really expect it to release next year, but I think the zelda game for WiiU will be released as a launch title with new and extea features along with better foliage and bloom.

SiDCrAzY

Not really, I don't use my Wii U as I bought it for my kids(Christmas gift). They do use it quite a bit, but at their age I'm sure they'll be fine with their Wii U/PS3 combo for awhile.

havaska

I'd buy it, probably not day 1 again as I've been burned by 3DS and Wii U, would probably wait 6 months.

But I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games so I can't say I'm disappointed with my purchases.

Considering I just bought my Wii U last fall and have hardly had any time to use it...hell no. At least not for a while. My PS4, 3DS, PSV and PC keep me busy enough. No need to add more to my plate.

ah_hia

Day one purchase. Because with Nintendo, I know that quality games will come out. Besides, I have never been disappointed with any of their consoles.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
No, I just got one in October for Bayonetta 2. I'm a free agent during every console generation, I sit back and see which is the best choice for me.

Voliko

I'm not expecting anything as good as Bayo 2 or TW101 so no. Plus, I bought a WiiU last year. I would be very disappointed. I haven't even liked the majority of the Nintendo games on the system so far. The amount of retreads has been absolutely ridiculous. NES remix is my favorite and that wasn't even developed by Nintendo.

Ahnez

Just like with any system, I buy when there are at least a few exclusice games that interests me..

So, 2 years after launch, maybe

Shiggy

General list of what Nintendo devs and some of its dev partners have released or preparing to release:

Monolith Soft - Finishing up Xenoblade X for Japan release, localization underway
Retro Studios - Assumed to be working on a Wii U title, development began in late 2014 Development began in late summer/early fall 2013
EAD group # 1 - Released Mario Kart 8 last year
EAD group # 2 - Finishing development on Splatoon
EAD group # 3- Working on Zelda Wii U , project delayed
EAD group # 4 - Finishing development on Mario Maker
EAD group # 5 - Star Fox, co-development with unspecified outside developer
SPG # 5 - Released Steel Diver: Sub Wars last year (co-developed)
EAD Tokyo group # 1 + Grezzo - Released Majora's Mask 3D (co-developed) I guess they've been working on something else for quite some time considering how long ago MM3D was finished
EAD Tokyo group # 2 - Released Captain Toad last year, currently developing new Super Mario title ... apparently not for Wii U according to Miyamoto
Intelligent Systems - Released Code name Steam, finishing new Fire Emblem 3DS summer release in Japan, apparently co-developing Fire Emblem X SMT with Atlus
ND Cube - Just finished Mario Party 10
Good-Feel - Finishing up development on Yoshi's Wooly World This one's finished and just waiting for a release / bug-fixing ... someone from Germany whispered to me ;)
Camelot - Released Mario Golf: World Tour last year
Hal Lab - Released Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Triple Deluxe last year
NST - Released Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars this year Do they still have multiple teams or is it only Mario vs DK nowadays?
1-Up Studios ( originally Brownie Brown) - Co-developed Mario 3D World & Capt Toad
Game Freak - Released Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire remakes last year Working on a not-on-Nintendo platforms multiplatform game for Sega
Monster Games - Finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3D port
Next Level Games - Apparently working on a Wii U title
Arzest - Released New Yoshi's Island last year Hopefully not working on a game for Nintendo again
Alpha Dream - Released Mario & Luigi: Dream Team in 2013
Bandai Namco - Unconfirmed, but may do console port of Pokken Tournament Wii U, released Super Smash Bros last year Hopefully they don't work on Starfox again, They ruined that series already
Masahiro Sakurai (freelance director)- Released Super Smash Bros last year
Genius Sonority - Released Pokemon Shuffle this year
Koie Tecmo - Released Hyrule Warriors & Fatal Frame 5 (Jpn only) last year
Valhalla Games - finishing development on Devil's Third

Bolded comments are mine.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
See you at the next, next console.

Are we really doing this already? People for the longest time have been wanting the Wii U for a ridiculous price. What makes you think the next console will be any less than that already?

I never said that I think it will be that price. I said that is the price I would buy it on release day.

Yeah, I'd buy it. I enjoy Nintendo's games too much to pass it up. The Wii U was the first Nintendo console that I didn't buy at launch and when I finally bought it (at release of SM3DW), I realized that I was truly missing out. I wouldn't make that mistake again.

spekkeh

Banned
Depends on the games. If it releases with FP Metroid, day one. If it releases with Zelda, quite possibly day one. Anything else, probably wait a bit until it amassed a few good games.

UrbanRats

if Zelda U doesn't come out on WiiU, i'll be fucking pissed.
That damn E3 trailer convinced me to buy the console.

Now you can say "why the fuck would you buy a console for a game that isn't out yet? Hasn't Last Guardian taught you anything?" And you'd be right.
Of course i didn't buy the WiiU just for Zelda, i also wanted to play (and greatly enjoyed) Mario3DWorld, Bayonetta 2 and Treasure Tracker.
But ending its support like this would be a kick in the teeth to anyone who spent money and had trust in them to deliver good games, despite the platform's shortcomings.

Game Cube was also in deep shit, but still had plenty of good stuff and good support from Nintendo, i expect the same.

So far i would say they're delivering on that trust (despite the worrying Zelda delay) and i hope they'll keep going for another good couple of years, before talking about the WiiU's successor.

xaszatm

Banned
Imagine a new open world 3D mario and zelda at launch. Everyone saying no would say yes

No, everyone would be complaining about something or be using this as proof that Nintendo would be going third party within months...again...my god why is this thread still up?

dickroach

No, everyone would be complaining about something or be using this as proof that Nintendo would be going third party within months...again...my god why is this thread still up?

ummmmm you cant spell SPlaTOOn without PS TOO. think about that for a minute

elhav

No. The Wii u is still rather young. If Nintendo will give up on it so soon I'll have no reason to trust them not to do it again with their new console down the line.

Don't think they'll do it though.

watershed

Banned
I skipped the WiiU and the 3ds has done a pretty good job of satisfying my gaming itch. I can only imagine that Nintendo's next portable will do an even better job of that, especially if it is a hybrid console. At this point I'm pretty much a portable only gamer and Nintendo helped to make that possible both with the great 3ds games they've put out and their inability to sell me on the WiiU.

Top Bottom