• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

rjinaz

I would feel burned. I would refuse to buy it in the first years out of principle

I've enjoyed the Wii U so far but I expect to enjoy it more before they ditch it.

Incidentally I don't think this news means what some posters think it means though. If it lowers expectations for e3 maybe that makes it easier to do well.

But we're talking about a year right? I'm pretty sure other Nintendo consoles only lasted 5 years. The Gamecube, for example. The Wii U has such poor sales compared to everything else Nintendo has done, except maybe the Virtual Boy and how long did that last?

Seems like to me a year is hardly something to get upset enough over to take a stance against.

Day one. Four years would be a little short for the Wii U but Nintendo's software has been god-tier lately so I'll keep up with their latest output.

No. The Wii U/3DS has probably been my least favourite Nintendo gen so far. Both console and handheld have been massive disappointments to me.

Nintendo would really have to convince me in order to get me to purchase one of their systems again.

Trago

Let's be honest here people, it's gonna depend almost entirely on the price, launch lineup and maybe launch window titles.

Let's say they launch with a new EAD 3D Mario game and F-Zero, and had Metroid Prime 4 in the launch window, the hype machine would go through the roof.

kinggroin

Banned
No. No way.

The system has been fantastic, software wise. I think releasing a new platform in holiday 2016 is a good move, but I will wait until I make it through the wii U library first.

VanWinkle

But we're talking about a year right? I'm pretty sure other Nintendo consoles only lasted 5 years. The Gamecube, for example. The Wii U has such poor sales compared to everything else Nintendo has done, except maybe the Virtual Boy and how long did that last?

Seems like to me a year is hardly something to get upset enough over to take a stance against.

If it launches at the end of 2016, that will be 4 years. People expect consoles to have longer generations, especially in modern days, where PS3 and 360 lasted 7 to 8 years.

RetroMG

I mean, I would have to see the console, but yeah, probably. Yeah, Nintendo's made some missteps in recent years, but I've never owned a Nintendo console that I haven't had a blast with. So yeah.

weekev

Banned
Nope, Im not getting burned on a day 1 console again. Year 2 is where its at. Cheaper price, more great releases.

But releasing a new console while the PS4 and the Xbone are hitting the sweet spot cost wise and game wise and not to mention player population is beyond stupid. Nintendo would once again wind up with a Wii U like scenario.
Who would choose a new Nintendo console for themselves if they can buy a PS4 at that point?

Gaspard

I swear the Nentendo fans are like Apple and Galaxy S fans that don't care, they just want the latest and greatest

I can say that comparison is applicable to all individuals who buy a console at launch.

Since when has a console actually had a decent launch window line up? PS2?

It really is an individual's own fault they are disappointed with a system since they didn't choose to wait for it to become cheaper and actually have a selection of games.

MilesTeg

Banned
Depends on the games. If the lineup looks dry post launch like Wii U did, I'm gonna wait. I bought the Wii U basically on faith that Nintendo would have the games, but with Wii U, they didn't. The first year was terrible.

If the situation is more similar to Wii, where they had shown us many big Nintendo titles prior to the system even launching, then it's a different story.

lingpanda

Yes because I have the means. I can understand the apprehension from those that don't. I would like new hardware every 3 years from any console maker.

rjinaz

If it launches at the end of 2016, that will be 4 years. People expect consoles to have longer generations, especially in modern days, where PS3 and 360 lasted 7 to 8 years.

That's exactly what I meant when I said it's only a year, 4 years compared to 5.

I mean yeah I guess, but it just seems like technology is moving so fast these days, after 5 years even, a console is looking pretty stale compared to what PCs are doing. I really don't want consoles lasting more than 5 years before the next releases, as long as it is still getting games a bit after the new console's release . Maybe that's just me though.

But releasing a new console while the PS4 and the Xbone are hitting the sweet spot cost wise and game wise and not to mention player population is beyond stupid. Nintendo would once again wind up with a Wii U like scenario.
Who would choose a new Nintendo console for themselves if they can buy a PS4 at that point?

I guess that depends on what it is. If it's just slighly better graphic then probably not many. If it brings something new and interesting to the table, it's hard to say. Maybe a lot of people.

L95

I've had my WiiU and enjoyed it. Probably wouldn't get the next console for a while though, not that I wouldn't want it, but I just find myself not playing home consoles a lot for some reason. (Unless, the next console is the fabled handheld-console hybrid lol)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No, it's been barely over a year since I got the U, if Nintendo drops it and releases their next console next year, I think I'm done with them.

I'd rather they just start releasing games on the PS4.

Thing is, and not just you but other posts about just getting it....some of us like me got it launch year.

Late next year would be 4 years for some of us. 4 years would be short IMO.

MilesTeg

Banned
Thing is, and not just you but other posts about just getting it....some of us like me got it launch year.

Late next year would be 4 years for some of us. 4 years would be short IMO.

What would the extra year really bring to the table though? Typically Nintendo consoles are pretty dry their last year on the market. I mean, what, we would get 2-3 extra first party games, zero third party games. What is that extra year really, besides waiting for the next console to release.

Lasdrub

I don't think a hardware upgrade would change the games Nintendo would make so I won't buy a new console from them unless it does something new that's fun.

xandaca

No, because the 3DS, Wii U, PS4 and XB1, all dropped in price extremely quickly (within a year) after launch, and given the near-certainty of a post-launch drought, I doubt there'll be much to miss out on.

Rockk

What would the extra year really bring to the table though? Typically Nintendo consoles are pretty dry their last year on the market. I mean, what, we would get 2-3 extra first party games, zero third party games. What is that extra year really, besides waiting for the next console to release.

The extra year will make the NX actually have games at launch. There is no way they will have a suitable enough games ready if the NX is launched in 2016.

Let's be honest here people, it's gonna depend almost entirely on the price, launch lineup and maybe launch window titles.

Let's say they launch with a new EAD 3D Mario game and F-Zero, and had Metroid Prime 4 in the launch window, the hype machine would go through the roof.

But that would be followed by a software drought as always on Nintendo consoles.

Mik317

The responses in this thread makes it sound like some people wouldn't buy another Nintendo console even if it came out in 2020.

MilesTeg

Banned
The extra year will make the NX actually have games at launch. There is no way they will have a suitable enough games ready if the NX is launched in 2016.

That is definitely possible. However we don't really know what Nintendo is doing behind the scenes. They could have projects well under way that were planned for Wii U, but based on sales, have been shifted to the next hardware and be ready for launch.

Also, it's yet to be seen how their shared architecture with handheld changes things. This could be a big positive for getting games out faster.

Anyway, I was saying that an extra year of Wii U for owners probably won't be the most exiting time for Nintendo fans. Surely though that extra time could have tangible benefits for Nintendo's next hardware in terms of software support.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
Only after it was truly established as "successful" (with a great library). I'm officially out of the business of buying Nintendo consoles on blind faith.

Yes but I wouldn't be happy about it.

I might too, but it would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

The Wii U has a lot of great games on it, and I don't regret buying it in the least, but the console hasn't been around very long. I expect more out of the investment, even as an early adopter.

But I still love Nintendo, and I know there will be software there you won't be able to find anywhere else... I don't know. I'd probably wait a bit this time, but I'm still in Nintendo's camp.

As always, I wouldn't buy one at launch unless it came with Zelda or some other great game. I don't see an early launch as a slight at all. It's unfortunate that Wii U could not have a lengthy, prosperous life but dividing the cost of the console with the amount of games I've played and enjoyed, it has proven to be a worthwhile purchase.

Dysun

No, I've grown accustomed to waiting for Nintendo consoles/handhelds to drop in price 1-2 years after release. The pace of releases makes it a very easy decision

BuggyMike

I love the games on WiiU but god I hate the system itself so hell yeah Id pick up the new console. I imagine Nintendo has learned a lot from their failers with the Wii U so hopefully they'll be doing many things right from the start with the next console. Id hope that they release the NX holiday 2017 so they can have access to better technologies at lower prices. Im totally expecting a big announcment of an NX console next year oraa short introduction in 2016 and a big blow out throughout 2017.

No, I just purchased a Wii U in February so I wouldn't buy new hardware if Nintendo launched in 2016 unless it was $199.99 or below.

this...
i bought my first wii u at launch.. after 4-5 months it appeared lackluster completely and i gave it to my sis..
last december i rebought it along with games, in faith of all the promised stuff..
kirby, starfox, xenoblade, zelda, etc..
if they let it die SO soon, last home console from nintendo at least for a good 2 years..

That's exactly what I meant when I said it's only a year, 4 years compared to 5.

I mean yeah I guess, but it just seems like technology is moving so fast these days, after 5 years even, a console is looking pretty stale compared to what PCs are doing. I really don't want consoles lasting more than 5 years before the next releases, as long as it is still getting games a bit after the new console's release . Maybe that's just me though.

I guess that depends on what it is. If it's just slighly better graphic then probably not many. If it brings something new and interesting to the table, it's hard to say. Maybe a lot of people.

I don't know, not sure what they could bring that would make consumers and 3rd party ignore PS4 Xbone.
That coupled with the "we don't want gimmicks" crowd doesn't give them any viable options.
If they make a traditional console they will be facing two strong devices with huge libraries and player population.
If they try and wow us again people will harp yet again about unnecesery gimmicks.

maltrain

Stop dreaming. There won't be another big console from Nintendo.

They will focus on handhels and mobiles and that's OK.

I have a Wii U and I certainly won't buy a "Wii U 2" if they kill Wii U next year after launching so few big games for it.

_woLf

Nope, I'd feel pretty disrespected as a customer. Would wait for a bundle or sale unless they offered something to wii u owners.

Stop dreaming. There won't be another big console from Nintendo.

0% chance that they wont make another console. They are barely in the mobile market, they wont make anything that they feel will compete with their console/handheld games. Thats why they wont even port NES games to mobile.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wii U had decent first party support so far.

I think any company would eventually abandon a product that stalls so hard in the market it fails to provide the necessary revenue stream and puts the company at risk, should they not cut their losses and try again while they still have the health to do it. Actually, historically many companies did that and thanks to it they were able to see another day. It's not like this isn't a contingency plan.

And tbh if you only sold to a small fraction of the market, you shouldn't be worried that a fraction of those will feel wronged and won't buy your products anymore, even though that's not an ideal situation, if you want a success, that wouldn't be meaningful enough to be of any impact. Next Nintendo console needs to be of mass appeal, and if they succeed in creating one, most of that mass haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Wii, if ever.

This makes alot of sense. Some might not like it but hey...

I don't care about "mass market success" i care about good games for a system ive payed money for, and so far cant really complain (Wonderful 101 game of the generation??). I would be mad if another console is released anytime before 2017, and if anyone thinks that will realistically happen your stupid. I would feel cheated and i know a lot of others would too, and i don't think Nintendo underestimates that.

Exactly. I like the way you are thinking.

Palm (RIP) and so far Blackberry are feeling the results of not having mass market success anymore tho. MS with Windows Phone too. At some point it does actually do more harm than good. BB right now is making more money in software than selling phones....

Glix

I just got wiiu this year, so probably "no" depending on price point and BC.

That being said I think everyone is jumping the gun thinking a straight up N home console is releasing in 2016.

I can see the portable that has the "nx architecture" launching, but thats about it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

This still would not be enough for me. I love Nintendo, but personally, I'm moving away from consoles. If Nintendo (in this hypothetical) were to dump the Wii U after only four years, I'm out no matter the line up. They would have to have an overwhelmingly better platform than the other two consoles on the market with a show of 3rd party support the likes they haven't seen since the SNES for me to think about it.

Depends on if third parties are on board.

That will never happen. It has nothing to do with install base (Wii) or specs (Gamecube), it all depends on maintaining a certain level of control that the 3rd party publishers have over the platform.

And on the Sony and Microsoft platforms they have all the control they will ever need. The sales of those platforms reinforce that control and as a result is the sole reason why they will never support Nintendo because it is not in their best interest to do so.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That being said I think everyone is jumping the gun thinking a straight up N home console is releasing in 2016.

I can see the portable that has the "nx architecture" launching, but thats about it.

Consider that the n3DS was just released and that the hardware and software sales of the 3DS decimate the Wii U. I don't think it is out of the question that both the nx console and nx hand held launch together, or even that the nx console launches first if Nintendo were acting on salvaging a lost platform.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Probably not. I would want to see it's capabilities and how other people react to it, before doubling down on any more Nintendo hardware.

Top Bottom