• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U seemingly has OS level screenshot tools for all games

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just to temper expectations a little bit, though, there is no confirmation that you can do ANYTHING with these screenshots other than post them to Miiverse. I think that's really the best use for them anyway, but let's not get too crazy here. It's only been discussed or shown via one situation: press Home, go to Miiverse, make post, the TV and GamePad screens are waiting to be attached to your post. I have the feeling that if you don't post them right then and there, they're deleted. I doubt they'd permanently save a screenshot every single time you hit the Home button, since you'll be hitting that for plenty of reasons that have nothing to do with "wanting a screenshot." This is temporary screenshot caching for Miiverse purposes, nothing more.

Since Miiverse is a web service, though, you'll at least be able to grab and save the image once they make it available via PC web browsers. I doubt it'll be of particularly grand quality, though.

How can a screenshot describe something you did as well as an achievement can?

If you're particularly concerned, just make the screenshot that you share your in-game achievement list. Those will still be there, if developers feel like implementing them.

What's nice though is that you can share things that'd never even be achievements. If that SS you got on a level is your real pride, but oh wait it's not a cheevo at all, well now you can actually brag about it, rather than "beat level 3 on normal."

Picture is worth a thousand words.

Besides, I'm sure if you post a screenshot to Miiverse you can probably post a message with it describing what it is.

A screenshot can only get simple things though like "I killed X" or "I got to level X". For anything more complicated than that it's useless. Also me having to type up a description of what I did is a lot more complicated then me just doing it, an achievement poping up and others can look at it whenever they want with no work on my side.

It's sad to read things like this.

I do understand why people like achievements and trophies...I just feel sharing actual achievements would be more fun than an arbitrary number forced by Nintendo/Sony/MS where half of it is padded by normal completion statistics and a bunch more is padded with some sort of over the top grinding.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To be honest screenshot function is most often used by people not as a replacement for achievements (though it could be used as such), but to document just plain cool and interesting stuff that they find throughout a game.

This is far more common on PC and Steam specifically where automatic screen grabbing and posting to a timeline (sounds familiar...) is a standard. I have seen people make extensive use of this functionality, it's considered a bedrock way of playing games by many.

So yes, even speaking purely about grabbing screens and posting them to a Miiverse timeline, this seems like a pretty major feature. Also seems like it'll be very attractive for a lot of folks.

In this day and age of twitter, I would think may more people are used to firing off tweet-like messages whenever they do something. I'd guess the overall functionality we see here was designed with such a world in mind.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Screenshots are screenshots. Sharing screenshots serves a particular purpose, or many purposes.

Tracked achievements are not screenshots. They're not related. They serve a completely different purpose.

Can we please not drag a dumb apples/oranges debate into here?

Mael

A screenshot can only get simple things though like "I killed X" or "I got to level X". For anything more complicated than that it's useless. Also me having to type up a description of what I did is a lot more complicated then me just doing it, an achievement poping up and others can look at it whenever they want with no work on my side.

Yeah but you can convey other stuffs with this than just mere achievements.
Like posting a screenshot of a cheater in MK or something.
It goes way beyond achievements.

Durante

This would be fantastic, and something I've asked for on consoles since forever.

Now to hope that they don't partially mess it up like Sony did on Vita by:
- allowing devs to disable it
- terribly compressing the shots

PNG framebuffer grabs pls.

Screenshots are screenshots. Sharing screenshots serves a particular purpose, or many purposes.

Tracked achievements are not screenshots. They're not related. They serve a completely different purpose.

Can we please not drag a dumb apples/oranges debate into here?
Yeah, I don't see how "achievements" even enter the discussion here.

Koyuga

I hope its as easy and quick as it is on Vita, and like it is on the iPhone. Combination of buttons, no need to fumble around in the home menu like on PS3.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Screenshots? On a console?

About fucking time!

Not sure if joking or intentionally ignorant of Sony console features.

Really, if all next-gen consoles have the suspend game and multi-task feature like Vita and now Wii-U, the screenshot is like a side-effect free feature of that.

wsippel

Banned
Right. But a screenshot can also convey more information than an achievement. Say you get an achievement for beating a level in less than 5 minutes. That's all the achievement tells you and your friends. A screenshot can convey the exact time it took to beat a level.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not sure if joking or intentionally ignorant of Sony console features.

Only the Vita has OS level screenshotting, yes? I've never noticed it on the PS3. From experience, the PS3 works exactly the same as the Wii did: game specific screenshot functions, and ability to share those saved images with friends via messaging.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Only the Vita has OS level screenshotting, yes? I've never noticed it on the PS3. From experience, the PS3 works exactly the same as the Wii did: game specific screenshot functions, and ability to share those saved images with friends via messaging.

Some PS3 games have it, although they are rare! It was added to the firmware a long time ago, but you have to XMB out, scroll to pictures and so forth to take one. Not sure what "cost" it has, which may be why devs shy away from using it, but its in there, just like YouTube video capturing. I think NobyNoby Boy has both if youre looking for a REAL SHOWCASE!!!!

Heres a thread that could be out of date or a real reflection on how few games have it enabled!
► XMB Screenshot Function

○ Army of TWO - The 40th Day
○ Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
○ Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (only active during replays)
○ echochrome
○ Ghostbusters: The Video Game
○ Hustle Kings
○ IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
○ MAG (beta v1 - v3)
○ MLB 09: The Show
○ NOBY NOBY BOY
○ PixelJunk Shooter
○ Tekken 6
○ Wolfenstein

Mael

3DS games allow you to take notes on screenshots when playing 3DS games, I don't know if you can do anything with them but there's that.

It's just the Vita.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Watch it compress as badly as the PSP2 and be able to be disabled in games like... the PSP2.

If they get around those pitfalls, then they one-up Sony in that department. I am so disappointed I can't screenshot PSP1/PSX titles in the sandbox or Marvel 3 screenshots and show them (with no horrible compression) online to chronicle my playthroughs.

Roto13

PS3 has OS level screenshots that developers have to enable but they never do. And you have to open the XMB and go to the Photos section and select an option and whatever you want to take a picture of ended like a minute ago.

It's awful.

Joni

This would be fantastic, and something I've asked for on consoles since forever.

Now to hope that they don't partially mess it up like Sony did on Vita by:
- allowing devs to disable it
- terribly compressing the shots

PNG framebuffer grabs pls.

Yeah, I don't see how "achievements" even enter the discussion here.
Have they confirmed you can share them outside of Miiverse? :p

KageMaru

Heh, I always assumed this was the case from what they said at E3.

Waste of resources IMO, but I'm sure people will appreciate the feature.

Gilby

Heh, I always assumed this was the case from what they said at E3.

Waste of resources IMO, but I'm sure people will appreciate the feature.

It could be an interesting alternative to gamefaqs, if someone is having trouble with a section of a game, they could look at the spoiler pics for that section. We'll see if it actually turns out that way though, there would need to be a way to sort pics into different sections for each game.

netBuff

Make it transferrable to memory in a PC-readable format or postable on social networks, and it's a killer feature every console should have. If it's limited to miiverse, meh.

Unless I can upload it to imgur it's not much use to me.

I'm sure you can transfer them from your SD card just like screenshots taken on Wii and 3DS.

With Miiverse coming to web browsers everywhere some time after launch, you will very likely be able to pull the screenshots out of Miiverse in the future.

Dragon

Banned
This is definitely cool. I'm all for this.

Nintendo really needs to know how to communicate this type of stuff to their more hardcore fans. Because they're the ones most likely to use this.

Effect

This is definitely cool. I'm all for this.

Nintendo really needs to know how to communicate this type of stuff to their more hardcore fans. Because they're the ones most likely to use this.

When they get the system for the first time they'll know. There is of course Nintendo Directs. If they're really hardcore then they're already following the Iwata Ask entries already. Nintendo seems to be cutting out the gaming media even more. Nintendo Directs. Miiverse that will allows you to communicate with other players and see their comments on the game first hand. This is the stuff they're just talking about and it's been said they'll be coming out with new features as time goes on as to not overwhelm people. I said it before but it looks like Nintendo does not want you going to normal gaming sites where coverage might not be fair or even accurate. Hell they did their very own unboxing of the system. Has Sony or Microsoft ever done that?

Which also reminds me. Microsoft has been doing something similar right? Or is it different? The gaming shows and news that appears on Xbox Live. I haven't used my Xbox much but in theory you could just use that as your gaming outlet for new and upcoming games and then use the star reviews and demos to judge what you want to buy. They haven't gone as far as Nintendo but Microsoft was very controlling of how Halo 4 was covered I believe. As they should be. Didn't Sony have Pulse covering various gaming news and even PS Home could be put to good use. Both offerings weren't in your face but Microsoft's could be with the latest interface. If Miiverse really takes off and shows great results for Nintendo and for various games I wonder how long before Microsoft and Sony alter what they have already to try and get similar results. If they do that I wonder how gaming sites will react.

Bumhead

Banned
How can a screenshot describe something you did as well as an achievement can?

"A picture says a thousand words"

EDIT: Beaten allover.

In all seriousness, this and the recording of play times and data are two of the more interesting OS features for me. I definitely wish my PS3 had both those things.

Teknoman

Screenshots can also be about capturing a certain environment at the right moment. Looking at past threads here, it can be kind of a form of art at times.

Davey Cakes

We'll have to get our hands on it to realize the true nature of the feature. Like, if it's what people dream it to be. That said, still a cool addition that remedies the lack of actual achievements a bit, and even goes beyond what achievements can do in terms of sharing personal gaming experiences. Games potentially have unique occurrences that aren't easily shared with words.

While obviously Nintendo is not incorporating every feature that people would want in the Wii U and even Miiverse, they are at least incorporating new and interesting features that augment the overall social experience in ways not necessarily seen before, at least with an integrated system. I honestly like the direction, even if it comes with omissions of certain standard features found elsewhere.

Top Bottom