• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U seemingly has OS level screenshot tools for all games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wait, really? both these systems have this feature that no one really knows/talks about....that's crazy. weird to make an easter egg out of these things.

i mean my master system had snail, but it wasn't very good.

In the 3DS it happens every time you hit home while running software. I always thought it was warping the image as is, but I toyed around with the 3D setting and it's pretty clear it's actually taking a snapshot. Easily noticable by turning off stereo mid game, hitting home, turning stereo on, and noticing that the background image does not gain stereo depth. Hit home to unpause the game and once the image returns it will 'flick' to proper rendered stereo.

So yeah, every time you hit home on the 3DS it captures an image of the software you're running. Surprising that this hasn't been implemented into a quick and easy "save to SD card" screenshot tool. The image already exists, so it's not like saving it would chew up RAM.

Mael

In the 3DS it happens every time you hit home while running software. I always thought it was warping the image as is, but I toyed around with the 3D setting and it's pretty clear it's actually taking a snapshot. Easily noticable by turning off stereo mid game, hitting home, turning stereo on, and noticing that the background image does not gain stereo depth. Hit home to unpause the game and once the image returns it will 'flick' to proper rendered stereo.

So yeah, every time you hit home on the 3DS it captures an image of the software you're running. Surprising that this hasn't been implemented into a quick and easy "save to SD card" screenshot tool. The image already exists, so it's not like saving it would chew up RAM.

You mean when you take notes of games in the Home menu the screenshot isn't saved?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
So can you export the screenshots to the SD card and then ultimately to the PC?

So far I haven't found a way. All I've been able to do is post a screen in a Miiverse post. Can't even see it fullscreen. I hope this is something devs and Nintendo can implement better in the future.

Margalis

Banned
A lot of Flash games work like this when you click outside of the Flash plugin window - they save a screen of whatever was happening and add some blur. (Then maybe pause the game)

It doesn't make sense to do too much else if you are suspending the game to do something else - you don't want the game actually running and doing work.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You mean when you take notes of games in the Home menu the screenshot isn't saved?

It isn't, no. That's the screenshot, but the moment you close the software or unpause the image disappears. Kinda makes notes pointless.

It isn't, no. That's the screenshot, but the moment you close the software or unpause the image disappears. Kinda makes notes pointless.

The first time I took a Game Note I was sure they'd save a screenshot with it, so you had some point of reference for whatever you were scribbling... very odd.

Top Bottom