• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U seemingly has OS level screenshot tools for all games

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Was hoping it would be button combination for a quick screen cap. This way sounds a little bit cumbersome since you have to go to the home screen and then miiverse to save them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Screenshots are screenshots. Sharing screenshots serves a particular purpose, or many purposes.

Tracked achievements are not screenshots. They're not related. They serve a completely different purpose.

Can we please not drag a dumb apples/oranges debate into here?
Agreed. Keep those filthy achievements out of my screenshots thread.

Some PS3 games have it, although they are rare! It was added to the firmware a long time ago, but you have to XMB out, scroll to pictures and so forth to take one. Not sure what "cost" it has, which may be why devs shy away from using it, but its in there, just like YouTube video capturing. I think NobyNoby Boy has both if youre looking for a REAL SHOWCASE!!!!

Heres a thread that could be out of date or a real reflection on how few games have it enabled!

Apparently the cost is nothing, since you can enable it for every game on CFW.

Only the Vita has OS level screenshotting, yes? I've never noticed it on the PS3. From experience, the PS3 works exactly the same as the Wii did: game specific screenshot functions, and ability to share those saved images with friends via messaging.

If a PS3 game does support OS level screenshots then you can share it however you want. The jpg file gets store on the PS3 HDD and you can transfer it anywhere, even upload it directly from the ps3 browser.

Durante

I want all next-gen systems to have this feature.
I remember when we had a thread about what features we want in next-gen systems. This was at the top of my list.

Of course, to truly qualify it needs to be easy to use (e.g. a button combination like on Vita / cell phones), universally available (no option for developers to disable it) and stored in high quality (no awful compression or downsampling).

I remember when we had a thread about what features we want in next-gen systems. This was at the top of my list.

Of course, to truly qualify it needs to be easy to use (e.g. a button combination like on Vita / cell phones), universally available (no option for developers to disable it) and stored in high quality (no awful compression or downsampling).

Screenshots is so last gen. I want streaming capabilities for next gen.

tsab

Seems like a false dichotomy to me. Why not have both? Indeed, some Nintendo games will based on the developer.

Sure why not.
Universal screenshot feature is more social-like for the "facebook for gamers" Nintendo seems to be building with Miiverse.

If I had to choice I would take screenshots. Although most games will have accomplishments/checklists so OCD folks will be happy (or folks who want extra replay value), just not a universal one like achievements or trophies.

Dragon

Banned
Screenshots is so last gen. I want streaming capabilities for next gen.

With origin having twitch integration, I think the 360 or PS3 successor having this would be huge. So many people stream nowadays.

Sure why not.
Universal screenshot feature is more social-like for the "facebook for gamers" Nintendo seems to be building with Miiverse.

If I had to choice I would take screenshots. Although most games will have accomplishments/checklists so OCD folks will be happy (or folks who want extra replay value), just not a universal one like achievements or trophies.

I"m not really into trophies or achievements either but I can see the worth of them. I think combining the two aspects would be cool, have a screenshot taken when you get a trophy or achievement.

damn those Smash Bros Upskirts to ruin my MiiVerse
LLShC.gif

tsab

With origin having twitch integration, I think the 360 or PS3 successor having this would be huge. So many people stream nowadays.

I"m not really into trophies or achievements either but I can see the worth of them. I think combining the two aspects would be cool, have a screenshot taken when you get a trophy or achievement.

If I understand correctly how the miiverse will work is the following.
You play a game
you unlock some "accomplisment" in game
the game posts this in your miiverse*
you can take screenshots
you post them in miiverse

*integration depends on developer

If I have understood wrong someone please correct me.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If I understand correctly how the miiverse will work is the following.
You play a game
you unlock some "accomplisment" in game
the game posts this in your miiverse*
you can take screenshots
you post them in miiverse

*integration depends on developer

If I have understood wrong someone please correct me.

There have been no examples of a game posting something to Miiverse without your permission. Or automatically at all, in fact. That's not to say they can't, NSMBU certainly is hooked in and will let you write messages to post there after an in-game prompt based upon certain scenarios, but we have no examples of a game automatically posting to Miiverse behind the scenes when you get an in-game accomplishment.

I think it's probably doable, but I'd honestly prefer if they didn't. It'd quickly clutter up your feed, and I'd prefer those feeds to be built entirely with posts the users put there purposefully.

Screenshots though, yes, you can post a screenshot of what your game was showing when you hit the Home button to Miiverse.

ElFly

I thought the Press already had their Wii Us? Why aren't they testing this?

Gonna guess Miiverse isn't up yet :(

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Neat feature, nice to see the little things sometimes but hopefully it doesn't end up with what Sony did with the Vita and let developers disable it as that kind of misses the point if half the games cant use it or on the PS3 where it is almost non-existant.

Can't say I can see myself using it for anything besides an occasional screenshot, I don't really see the comparison a proper OS level system for tracking things like achievements/trophies to a screenshot and comment, will Miiverse posts stick around forever on a server somewhere so we can look through other peoples or will they just get lost in time or have the chance of being missed if there are a lot of people doing it?

Still, just because I wont doesn't mean I others wont, more features the better.

sakipon

Is Miiverse available for kids? Just wondering if Timmy 10 years old has a friend a few years older who starts posting violent screenshots.

Or vice versa, if I add a relative's kid to my friends list, do I have to refrain from posting gore? Just a hypothetical question though.

There's a video of this somewhere. A guy goes to the home menu when playing NSMB, then to the Miiverse forum thing, it gives him an option to post one of two screenshots with his message, presumably one for the pad and one for the tv screen.

Don't be shocked if it's not possible to save a screenshot for posting on a non-Miiverse forum! But that shouldn't be an issue once Miiverse goes browser-wide.

rpmurphy

Is Miiverse available for kids? Just wondering if Timmy 10 years old has a friend a few years older who starts posting violent screenshots.

Or vice versa, if I add a relative's kid to my friends list, do I have to refrain from posting gore? Just a hypothetical question though.
Parental controls are available:
Miiverse usage: viewing of and posting to Miiverse can be restricted in order to prevent the exchange of inappropriate content with other users.

How granular the options are, we'll find out soon enough.

I really won't be surprised if the 720 has a streaming feature built it. With Nintendo's strong focus on "social" gameplay, you know Microsoft and Sony are going to try to beat Nintendo at their own game. Having a "social" streaming feature on the 720 would be a great way to compete with Nintendo and it's just an awesome feature in general.

XenodudeX

I bet you won't be able to upload any screenshots to twitter/facebook/photobucket, so it's kind of hard to be excited by this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I bet you won't be able to upload any screenshots to twitter/facebook/photobucket, so it's kind of hard to be excited by this.

Miiverse is its own place beyond just an initial plaza of miis wandering about, meant to have a lot of browsing and social interaction. Early comments were along the lines of "if they wanted a social network, why not just use Facebook login?"

Having said that, there's going to be browser and mobile apps for this stuff, so we can't judge everything until those are out. The web interface may have options to share to facebook/twitter, and so forth.

We knew that from the ND vids but it's good to have a separate thread I guess. This coupled with Miiverse could be really cool. Depending on whether Wii U and this take off it could generate a lot of traffic though - will be interesting to see how it develops.

There's parental control stuff for that.

netBuff

Having said that, there's going to be browser and mobile apps for this stuff, so we can't judge everything until those are out. The web interface may have options to share to facebook/twitter, and so forth.

Miiverse is coming to the web some time in the future (I don't think they ever mentioned apps, just a mobile website). Even if Nintendo won't directly support 3rd party social networks, it should be easy to just grab the picture off the website and upload it to whatever service you like most.

Yuterald

This will be perfect for Platinum's games. Incoming pictures for Bayonetta 2's Pure Platinum Rank Difficulty Charts and Wonderful 101 Gold/Platinum Newspaper Clippings! Cooler than any stupid trophy/achievement list! =D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This will be perfect for Platinum's games. Incoming pictures for Bayonetta 2's Pure Platinum Rank Difficulty Charts and Wonderful 101 Gold/Platinum Newspaper Clippings! Cooler than any stupid trophy/achievement list! =D

... what you're describing is not trophies/achievements, it's leaderboards.

I hope this is enabled for Tekken Tag 2. I was sorely dissapointed this feature wasnt in the ps3 version since you could take screenshots in Tekken 6.

Can you export the screenshots to a pc?

Yuterald

... what you're describing is not trophies/achievements, it's leaderboards.

I'm not talking scores or leaderboards. I'm talking about the Total Results screens in Bayonetta/DMC games. Japanese action games (at least Kamiya's titles) usually have them in some fashion. Couldn't I potentially snap pictures of my (inevitable) Total Results screens? Isn't that how the snapshot function works for Wii U? You can take screenshots from any screen during gameplay?

Blizzard

Banned
Its indeed OS level. It takes a screenshot of the paused game in the background of Miiverse.
Is there a way to upload them/transfer them outside of the Miiverse for sharing on the internet?

With Smash Brothers Brawl, for instance, you could save screenshots to an SD card, but it took a bunch of people messing around with the data and console to figure out A) that the screenshots was encrypted, 256-bit AES if I recall correctly, and B) they were additionally JPEGs compressed with a semi-proprietary compression scheme. I don't think I figured out much on my own, but I was one of the people working on a program to convert/export the shots.

On top of that, there was normal hardcoded (I'm guessing 90% quality or less) JPEG compression that introduced artifacts, if I recall correctly. As a side note, Steam screenshots still have this same issue as far as I know.

But all of that aside, once people figured it out, people were able to make little utilities to let people share their ingame Brawl pictures on the internet. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not talking scores or leaderboards. I'm talking about the Total Results screens in Bayonetta/DMC games. Japanese action games (at least Kamiya's titles) usually have them in some fashion. Couldn't I potentially snap pictures of my (inevitable) Total Results screens? Isn't that how the snapshot function works for Wii U? You can take screenshots from any screen during gameplay?

Right, but the closest comparison to using screenshots to share your score screens isn't achievements/trophies, it's leaderboards.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just realised the 3DS also has this, you just can't save them.

Mind blown.

IrishNinja

wait, really? both these systems have this feature that no one really knows/talks about....that's crazy. weird to make an easter egg out of these things.

i mean my master system had snail, but it wasn't very good.

Top Bottom