• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U September Conference Summary Thread

Magnus

Oh shit; didn't realize NSMBU and Rayman were both confirmed to be day 1 games. Amazing. This...might be my favorite system launch line up, ever?

AzaK

i was hoping for an onslaught of video impressions after the conference. What happened?

You know, I noticed this too. I would have expected all websites to have tonnes and tonnes of videos of all the games with various impressions and interviews. There doesn't seem to be much at all really.

TriGen

You know, I noticed this too. I would have expected all websites to have tonnes and tonnes of videos of all the games with various impressions and interviews. There doesn't seem to be much at all really.

Me too. There is only trailers and like one main Wii U post per site. I was hoping there would be some more in-depth talk about how the games control and stuff like that.

OryoN

The developer mentions this:

"The combination of a second viewport on handheld screen, very accurate gyroscopes and accelerometers, and front and back cameras seems to offer a lot of possibilities"

Hmmm.. are they mistaken, did I miss something, or perhaps they know more than we currently do, and Nintendo is leaving a few surprises for us in the retail version? He also mentions AR possibilities, which - as far as I know - would be better experienced with a rear camera as apposed to a front one.

I find it unlikely that Nintendo would display/advertise the console without this feature, knowing full well they'll have it in the final retail version... but like the article suggests, I won't underestimate them. We'll see...

"The combination of a second viewport on handheld screen, very accurate gyroscopes and accelerometers, and front and back cameras seems to offer a lot of possibilities"

Hmmm.. are they mistaken, did I miss something, or perhaps they know more than we currently do, and Nintendo is leaving a few surprises for us in the retail version? He also mentions AR possibilities, which - as far as I know - would be better experienced with a rear camera as apposed to a front one.

I find it unlikely that Nintendo would display/advertise the console without this feature, knowing full well they'll have it in the final retail version... but like the article suggests, I won't underestimate them. We'll see...

Nice catch. It's obvious Nintendo is still not revealing everything just from the lack of info about the online features. I definitely wouldn't rule out other things.

AzaK

Nice catch. It's obvious Nintendo is still not revealing everything just from the lack of info about the online features. I definitely wouldn't rule out other things.

So weird. I wouldn't think a back camera is that much of a big thing. They'd also have to go to the trouble of making GamePads without one for public viewings.

Bizzaro!

OryoN

So weird. I wouldn't think a back camera is that much of a big thing. They'd also have to go to the trouble of making GamePads without one for public viewings.

Bizzaro!

Could be a last minute feature, if it really exists. I had long puzzled over how they managed to overlook the rear camera. Without it, the opportunity to take AR to a new amazing level is totally missed. (it wouldn't have the same impact with tacked on peripherals either). I hope the developer didnt' make a mistake there, I really want this feature.

Bizzaro!

Like OryoN said if it's a late addition (due to the intent of keeping it secret) then they wouldn't have trouble since all the demo units have controllers without that feature.

And with Nintendo anything has potential to be kept secret. Though something like that always did seem like a strange exclusion even if it still ends up without it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Firebrand Games are working on an unannounced Multiplat title that's also coming to the Wii U. The Guardian has a nice interview with them.

The whole thing's worth reading, but here are some "highlights".

The Wii U technology is certainly interesting and unique in many ways. People in the gaming press have become very focussed on its power at the expense of its most unique aspect, the DRC controller. I've heard conflicting comments in the media on the Wii U capabilities, some more accurate than others, but suffice to say it's running our multi-platform HD game just fine. As with all new consoles it's too early to say just how far people will be able to push it once they get to grips with the hardware and work out the best way to make things for it, so it's unlikely you'll see any astonishing titles in the first year or so – but they will come. The differences in power and graphical fidelity are going to become much harder to distinguish in the coming years and this should hopefully bring about greater focus on gameplay and experience – something Nintendo have always excelled at.

There is still a degree of uncertainty about exactly what you can, should and must do with the Wii U, almost as if Nintendo is still working this out for itself, or not quite ready to show all its cards. Even though we have the hardware in house, we won't really know what it's all about until we see the first wave of first Party Titles, and see and play what Nintendo have been working on.

The majority of the game development community wrote off the DS before launch and almost everyone wrote off the Wii on first look too – both went on to be extraordinarily successful. The lesson is clear: never underestimate Nintendo!

www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/sep/17/wii-u-interview?newsfeed=true

Hobby

Has this been posted?

Iwata was asked during an interview with Nikkei if Nintendo would be able to profit this fiscal year, to which Iwata replied that given (Wii U's) manufacturing costs will be at its highest during this FY, in addition to low diffusion of (Wii U) during this FY, earnings will be rough.

However, he expects diffusion of Wii U and its software sales to increase next FY and onward, thus they'll be able to earn a healthy revenue.

任天堂の岩田社長が、日経でWii Uについてコメントしています。

これによると、2万6250円と3万1500円という販売価格で利益を生み出せるのかと聞かれた岩田社長は、「今年度は製造原価も一番高く、普及台数が少ないため収益面では厳しい」とコメントしています。

ただ、「来期以降はゲーム機本体の普及だけでなく、ゲームソフトの販売数も増える。ソフトの販売と併せ、全体で健全な収益を得られるようになる見通し」になっているとのことです。

Source:
http://ga-m.com/n/wii-u-seizou-genka-rieki/
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASHD13036_T10C12A9000000/

AzaK

I will rage if they have added a back camera and not analog triggers.

Hehehe. Personally I don't care about either.

Has this been posted?

Iwata was asked during an interview with Nikkei if Nintendo would be able to profit this fiscal year, to which Iwata replied that given (Wii U's) manufacturing costs are the highest they've been for the company, in addition to the initial low install base during this fiscal year, earnings is going to be rough.

However, he expects Wii U's install base and software sales to increase next fiscal year, thus they'll be able to earn a healthy revenue.

Source:
http://ga-m.com/n/wii-u-seizou-genka-rieki/
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASHD13036_T10C12A9000000/

But they're charging a good solid price. What the hell does that thing cost to make?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
But they're charging a good solid price. What the hell does that thing cost to make?

I think that a lot of people underestimate the production costs of technology. Probably also because of other companies (MS and Sony) behaviours (that are very different business models, that inlude big effort and ssacrifice to the profit maring on the HW sold)

In addition, duirng the last year, manufacturing costs in China increased a lot (I think that the total percentage of the increase is over 30%, with a +12% across the end of the previous FY and the beginning of the new one)

DrWong

Yep! The interview was done a few days ago I think, around the 13 of this month, based on the Firebrand tweet, so this back camera stuff is not something old which has been changed/removed for the conference.

pramath

Banned
I've heard some less than reliable sources suggest Blops 2 and and Zombie U are 1080p. Any truth to that or just taken out of context from PR quotes?

Crimmy

I got caught up in the apple hype that I neglected my first love Nintendo! Is there anywhere I can pre order the Wii U? I read articles about everything being sold out except for the basic version but I am looking to pre order the 32gb deluxe. Nintendo Nation, HELP ME!

D-e-f-

Banned
So.

What's the word on online play? Or are we still waiting for red meat?

It's there. That's all we know. Expect more details at October Nintendo Direct

I've heard some less than reliable sources suggest Blops 2 and and Zombie U are 1080p. Any truth to that or just taken out of context from PR quotes?

PR quotes. Cannot be trusted as factually correct at this point.

---

I screencapped the browser presentation from the NCL Nintendo Direct:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42268300#post42268300

2326635-iwatagotalldapikmin.jpg

Remember there's more to the cost than just hardware. Nintendo seems to try to get all of those costs under the retail price. Something I failed to remember a year ago.

D-e-f-

Banned
Thank you. I find your post very useful and informative.

Thanks, I found that capturing screens helps to put the information together since they love to overload us with tiny little things and we then have to check those videos every time someone asks a question because everything went by so fast and there was so much that we end up forgetting those little things.

Anything else I should maybe look over? Nintendo Land stuff?

OryoN

i was hoping for an onslaught of video impressions after the conference. What happened?

I've been wondering the same damned thing. I was expecting to be inundated with Wii U media, but instead, was scouring the web for it. Ridiculous!

Anyway, here's a few rare videos for anyone who haven't seen them yet. Some of the captures weren't perfect, but good enough. Forgive if posted already.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 (looking good)

NBA 2k13 (looks pretty good)

Assassin's Creed 3 (Looks... wow!)

FIFA 13 (looks decent... not the best capture)

Trine 2: Director's Cut (looks great!... lol @ 2:52)

I've been wondering the same damned thing. I was expecting to be inundated with Wii U media, but instead, was scouring the web for it. Ridiculous!

Anyway, here's a few rare videos for anyone who haven't seen them yet. Some of the captures weren't perfect, but good enough. Forgive if posted already.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

D-e-f-

Banned
So guise, I was messing with squex jp site hoping for something about KH HD collection and I found this:
http://www.square-enix.com/jp/common/images/icon-wiiu.gif
icon-wiiu.gif

It could be nothing but... at least they have a label for Wii U games ... T_T

... remember Dragon Quest X that's coming to Wii U and will have its debut at TGS? :) That's a Square Enix game.

---

new ZombiU interview about multiplayer! (no traditoinal online, no miiverse, multiple local modes)

oh and btw, also confirms Wiimote+Nunchuck for multiplayer!
->
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42275242&posted=1#post42275242

So I'm not really sure where else to put this without a Wii U OT, but Walmart is offering their own Wii U bundles. I'll just leave this here.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-...845-module469846-lLink2&veh=aff#ProductDetail

Edit: It appears you can choose between basic or deluxe, so you can get Nintendo Land with your deluxe set, as well as another game and a controller for just $50 more.

Not true. It adds an additional $50 if you select the deluxe. So it's $459 for Deluxe plus game plus pro controller. Not better than buying them all separately.

D-e-f-

Banned
do we have knowledge about region locking?

Im seriously considering the monster hunter pack

console is region locked. they haven't confirmed that but there is literally zero reason to believe otherwise.

you can expect the MH servers to be region specific though (probably behind a paywall again in Japan like Tri)

Wierd i thought you were well "in the know" regarding the WiiU bgassassin. How do you think it can feature a back facing camera is beyond me.

For the record of course it doesn't have one.

Thanks! i'll check anything i can get.

Wierd i thought you were well "in the know" regarding the WiiU bgassassin. How do you think it can feature a back facing camera is beyond me.

For the record of course it doesn't have one.

Thanks! i'll check anything i can get.

Well is subjective. :)

And I didn't say I think it did.

Kjellson

Kinda wish I had a job so I could preorder this stupid thing...

Anyway, will a general Wii U thread be made any time soon? Those threads are the best.

So can we expect DQX wiiu footage soon?

Good question. I haven't seen an actual time announced.

Kinda wish I had a job so I could preorder this stupid thing...

Anyway, will a general Wii U thread be made any time soon? Those threads are the best.

This is it. But since there is a separate thread for specs nobody wants to post here. >_>

Either at TGS or close to that time. So sometime between September 20-23rd.

Who is willing to bet that it's just the same game/graphics in 1080p?

That's about how I feel, though at 720p. And Sony just had their Pre-TGS conference so it's going to be starting tomorrow.

Top Bottom