• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U September Conference Summary Thread

D-e-f-

Banned
Any more news on NFS??

It's a Sunday lol. All the ratings board leaks and retailer listings should indicate it's coming. Expect an announcement sometimes between now and the game's release :)

I'm not sure that anyone can act like social network is their own idea at this point in time.

Sure but it's not just a regular old "social network" they've come up with. Xbox Live and PSN Home already are some type of social network as well. I simply believe that MS and Sony will go into a similar direction and everyone is gonna love it from day one while nobody gives a shit about Miiverse today. Ah never mind, it's just my frustration bubbling up again after being exposed to the ignorance of the gaming press again over the last few days.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thats true I mean 360 already allows you to share stuff like what your watching and achievements through facebook and twitter but its such a hassle and clunky as fudge. Iam sure though that when they do people that doubt Miiverse now or downing it when their prefered console of choice is doing the same thing will act like its all good or whatever..

*kanyeshrug*
Sure but it's not just a regular old "social network" they've come up with. Xbox Live and PSN Home already are some type of social network as well. I simply believe that MS and Sony will go into a similar direction and everyone is gonna love it from day one while nobody gives a shit about Miiverse today. Ah never mind, it's just my frustration bubbling up again after being exposed to the ignorance of the gaming press again over the last few days.
Yeah, it is possible to do it great eventhough that the basic idea has been done before. The reason why Nintendo does all this social network integration is because it is already very popular (Facebook and Twitter primarily). I also think that Microsoft and Sony will follow this route because social network is already big. Having it fully integrated into the gaming ecosystem could make the gaming experience different indeed.

Someone in another thread said that it is important to disticnt "invention" and "innovation". I think this is pretty well said. When innovating, it doesnt mean that you have to be the inventor, but it is to make an idea work very well and make it popular. Facebook wasnt the first social network, yet Facebook is concidered as one of the most innovative companies.

But regardless of whats been done before or not, i'm sure that Miiverse will be a very interesting thing, and that Nintendo will have their own idea around it. I'm looking forward to see more what Miiverse has to offer :)

Nibel

Cool NintendoLand: Metroid Blast write-up from NWR
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31750

16 levels? Holy moly, that sounds like a super deep mode! A shame that nobody is gonna play that with me :(

edit: oops, didn't notice the nintendoland thread was still alive here :)

I hope that this is the case with almost every Nintendoland game

The Pikmin one has some neat action RPG mechanics for example; if this kind of depth is part of every game, then we are in for a ride - not even comparable to Wii Sports if that's the case.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Agreed, I think Miiverse is a big deal for Nintendo.

I think what some people are forgetting is that Nintendo haven't revealed their entire hand regarding the Wii U yet. I don't know about the US reveal, but our European Nintendo Direct seemed very clear that they'd carry on revealing new stuff between now and launch. Thursday wasn't about revealing everything by any stretch of the imagination.

Forgetting previous E3's and whatever, this is where Nintendo's marketing and information blitz for the Wii U starts. I'm almost certain we'll know everything we need to by launch.

More than that, there will be system updates after launch, stepping stones in the console lifespan that will spice the interest up when implemented. A lot of features won't be ready for release, so you can expect down the line, a "NFC enabled buzz", followed by a "2 gamepad momentum with games supporting those", etc etc.

effzee

I was out of the country for the last 10 days and missed out on a lot.

Reading up and catching up now but was there any detailed reveal of the Nintendo OS/interface? More information on the online structure?

Did EA finally reveal their supposed plan for support which was clearly missing from E3?

Other than that I do like what I see. $350 isn't bad for what it includes. Some of the games at launch or around launch are must haves for me so I think I will def pre-order.

More than that, there will be system updates after launch, stepping stones in the console lifespan that will spice the interest up when implemented. A lot of features won't be ready for release, so you can expect down the line, a "NFC enabled buzz", followed by a "2 gamepad momentum with games supporting those", etc etc.

I agree with this. I was wondering earlier this weekend about how Nintendo hasn't peeped at all about this very potentially attractive and monetisable feature, but they seem to already have enough momentum going into the holiday season to start off on a good click.

"Hey, look, your real world item can be scanned and transformed into the digital world!" really does feel like something that can't be replicated elsewhere (in the console world). It was pushed as a "next level" feature when Microsoft presented for Kinect in a way that wasn't quite practical to implement, and I think a lot of the potential audience could get excited over it. It's certainly a decent bit of ammo to keep the system seeming fresh in the face of new console releases by the competition.

If Nintendo doesn't push NFC at the release as a thing, then I see a big toy deal with one of the major fast food franchises ("Sneak King II -- buy a value meal and get a limited edition magic crown to upgrade your King to beat your friends in online sneakmatch!") coming late next year.

D-e-f-

Banned
I was out of the country for the last 10 days and missed out on a lot.

Reading up and catching up now but was there any detailed reveal of the Nintendo OS/interface? More information on the online structure?

Did EA finally reveal their supposed plan for support which was clearly missing from E3?

Other than that I do like what I see. $350 isn't bad for what it includes. Some of the games at launch or around launch are must haves for me so I think I will def pre-order.

No, if it's not in the OP, it wasn't talked about basically. Nintendo TVii is the only thing that is related to the online that was revealed last week. Expect more online details at the October ND. EA hasn't said anything else but a rating has popped up in Brazil for NFS Most Wanted (adding to the Amazon France listing) so that came is pretty much sure to come.

edit: so this is my current list of pre-ordered games. I just remember I still had a 10% off voucher for thehut.com and that really comes in handy right now.

Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed 3
ZombiU
Rayman Legends
New Super Mario Bros. U
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101

Wait and see games:
Lego City Undercover (still hoping the tech side comes together)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (still haven't played the first one so that's not an immediate buy but I'll get it eventually)

D-e-f-

Banned
You mean watch dogs

lol that's what I read it as ahahaha ... yea my response was to this being Watch Dogs ...

Sleeping Dogs coming to Wii U? Pretty much zero unless developers really fall in love with late ports of successful last-gen games.

Oersted

I agree with this. I was wondering earlier this weekend about how Nintendo hasn't peeped at all about this very potentially attractive and monetisable feature, but they seem to already have enough momentum going into the holiday season to start off on a good click.

"Hey, look, your real world item can be scanned and transformed into the digital world!" really does feel like something that can't be replicated elsewhere (in the console world). It was pushed as a "next level" feature when Microsoft presented for Kinect in a way that wasn't quite practical to implement, and I think a lot of the potential audience could get excited over it. It's certainly a decent bit of ammo to keep the system seeming fresh in the face of new console releases by the competition.

If Nintendo doesn't push NFC at the release as a thing, then I see a big toy deal with one of the major fast food franchises ("Sneak King II -- buy a value meal and get a limited edition magic crown to upgrade your King to beat your friends in online sneakmatch!") coming late next year.

there was that burger king wiiu thingies rumor....

AzaK

Nintendo TVii and Miiverse are highly underrated

These two features could be killer applications in the US
I know! It will never happen but I want this here in NZ.

Another thing Nintendo should do is open up the web based MiiVerse stuff before the launch of the console so we can all get into it, get our handles/codes/whatever and just start using it and getting hyped.

jaaz

Any confirmation on whether the Gamepad can be connected to a external monitor and played that way? I.e., using an HDMI-out adapter for the accessory port?

I'm thinking it would be cool to play supported games split-screen on not just a TV and the Gamepad, but a TV and another TV in the house or a monitor (using the Gamepad).

Zero148

Any confirmation on whether the Gamepad can be connected to a external monitor and played that way? I.e., using an HDMI-out adapter for the accessory port?

I'm thinking it would be cool to play supported games split-screen on not just a TV and the Gamepad, but a TV and another TV in the house or a monitor (using the Gamepad).

but why would you want to play at 480p on a HDTV? the WiiU won't render the game twice in 720(1080)p for each television, so playing on the gamepad should be the better visual experience.

opi1saved

Neo Member
A question about Black Ops 2 occurred to me just now. I don't think they've said one way or the other, but I'm wondering whether or not we can sign in using separate accounts in the dual screen option. Say I can play under my profile on the TV and my son under his own profile on the gamepad. Think this'll happen?

A question about Black Ops 2 occurred to me just now. I don't think they've said one way or the other, but I'm wondering whether or not we can sign in using separate accounts in the dual screen option. Say I can play under my profile on the TV and my son under his own profile on the gamepad. Think this'll happen?
I would be cool but I highly doubt it.

I also doubt they'll be putting an MKWii-like multi in (2 players locally can connect to online matches). That would be a really great feature and with the tablet it would also be enjoyable (you could even take up different teams).

I can see things like that added to the next round of CoD though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I was thinking of something similar last night: how about connecting it to VR glasses, that would display the GamePad screen? With all the gyros, etc. already embedded in the GamePad, that could be a cheap enough solution to be marketable.

Negator

I sincerely doubt it.

No confirmation to answer your question.

Nibel

I would be cool but I highly doubt it.

I also doubt they'll be putting an MKWii-like multi in (2 players locally can connect to online matches). That would be a really great feature and with the tablet it would also be enjoyable (you could even take up different teams).

I can see things like that added to the next round of CoD though.

Isn't online-local-coop already possible on the 360? I thought that 1-2 players can play online while 3-4 players means local only.

D-e-f-

Banned
Ubis....??. Ah :p. No i meant Sleeping Dogs. But Watchdogs would be even better :)

Now if hot dogs came to Wii U, that would be even betterer! :)

There is no video out on the GamePad, only on developer units or internal kits for recording video.

---

Quick question: where did everybody disappear to? Is the "rumor: final specs" thread now where all the talking happens? :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I would like to underline that, MAYBE, at least in Italy the Zombi U bundle could be different from what we have heard:

vHFR6.jpg

this image is floating around in some eshop site (Gamestop and Amazon both .it) and shows Land + Zombi without the CCPRO.

I'll let you know if I get some confirmation

Nibel

I would like to underline that, MAYBE, at least in Italy the Zombi U bundle could be different from what we have heard:

vHFR6.jpg

this image is floating around in some eshop site (Gamestop and Amazon both .it) and shows Land + Zombi without the CCPRO.

I'll let you know if I get some confirmation

Nintendoland instead of the pro controller?

I don't understand anything :lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Me too. Some user that is a retailer on Italian forums is saying that he'll receive this bundle instead that the CCPro one.
I'll let you know!

Nibel

Me too. Some user that is a retailer on Italian forums is saying that he'll receive this bundle instead that the CCPro one.
I'll let you know!

Appreciated! This wouldn't make any sense to be honest.. but 2 games and Deluxe Wii U for 400€ seems nice

liger05

I'm assuming cos my Wii is Japanese I would have to get a Japanese Wii U to transfer the VC data?

Also do you think we will see a 3rd party arcade stick on launch for tekken tag?

effzee

So since online structure wasn't revealed fully in detail, are we to expect another Nintendo Direct in October?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So, I was wondering. If I wanted to transfer my Virtual Console games to my Wii U, do I really need my Wii console to do it, or can I dump them all into an SD card and transfer them that way? I really want to sell off my Wii before the Wii U is released, instead of holding onto it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
@D-e-f: thank you, cool stuff!
@effzee: it seems that Reggie hinted at a Direct focused on Miiverse-Online-OS before release on the market

D-e-f-

Banned
So since online structure wasn't revealed fully in detail, are we to expect another Nintendo Direct in October?

Yes of course. Another ND would've happened in October regardless. They'll spill the beans on the interface probably mixed with some more general stuff like 3DS Paper Mario news etc.

So, I was wondering. If I wanted to transfer my Virtual Console games to my Wii U, do I really need my Wii console to do it, or can I dump them all into an SD card and transfer them that way? I really want to sell off my Wii before the Wii U is released, instead of holding onto it.

No, you need both systems. The process has been explained in various interviews linked in the OP.

@D-e-f: thank you, cool stuff!
@effzee: it seems that Reggie hinted at a Direct focused on Miiverse-Online-OS before release on the market

No problemo :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Ok, both Amazon and Gamestop Italy taken the picture away: it was a mistake.
Zombi bundle confirmed (up to now LOL) to be with Zombi + CCPro also in Italy

Btw, what about this? ;p

CQ2xt.jpg

Just kiddin'!

D-e-f-

Banned
CCPro also in Italy

Stop doing that before you get used to it! The Pro Controller is not a Classic Controller Pro! Big big difference.

Some €uro prices from amazon.de:
Wii U Pro Controller - €44,99
Wii U Accessory Set (Screen protector, cleaning cloth, bigger stylus) - €11,99
Wii Remote Plus Additional Set (Wiimote+, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar) - €52,99
Wii U GamePad Cradle & Stand - €22,99

DrWong

Wii U: "never underestimate Nintendo," says Firebrand Games

Some quotes, more in the link.

As with all new consoles it's too early to say just how far people will be able to push it once they get to grips with the hardware and work out the best way to make things for it, so it's unlikely you'll see any astonishing titles in the first year or so – but they will come

There is still a degree of uncertainty about exactly what you can, should and must do with the Wii U, almost as if Nintendo is still working this out for itself, or not quite ready to show all its cards.

Even though it might not apply to the games Firebrand are working on right now, I'm most interested in the possibilities the Controller offers. The idea of local multiplayer with different viewpoints is exciting as is the scope for co-operative or asynchronous tactical play or just for combining regular control with touch screen input with motion control and even potentially with AR or near field communications.

What's also not entirely clear is just how games can make use of two screens simultaneously, but also allow for players to play on DRC alone with the TV off. Again, we are waiting to see exactly what Nintendo does here and what it expects or encourages others to do.

Nintendo needs to charm the mass market in the same way it charmed people so successfully with the Wii. You could almost argue that the unprecedented success of the Wii makes it almost impossible for Nintendo to compete with its successor. I do believe that with the right titles, the right price and Nintendo's excellent marketing they can do this but I expect it to be the focus of next year – Christmas 2013 – rather than at launch or in the coming months.

The majority of the game development community wrote off the DS before launch and almost everyone wrote off the Wii on first look too – both went on to be extraordinarily successful. The lesson is clear: never underestimate Nintendo!

Someone in another thread said Wii U will only work with Wiiremote+ controllers and not the standard Wiimotes. Is that confirmed?

Someone in another thread said Wii U will only work with Wiiremote+ controllers and not the standard Wiimotes. Is that confirmed?

It should work with standard Wii Remotes when playing Wii games. It isn't clear whether or not Wii Remote Pluses are required for Wii U games. It's definitely required for Nintendo Land, yet we know Nintendo said that it isn't requiring developers to use Wii MotionPlus. We may potentially see Wii U games that work with standard Wii Remotes, but it's not absolute.

Top Bottom